• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia N900 is here (Linux phone) !

Status
Not open for further replies.

CiSTM

Banned
Orginal source

Official website
check it out. NEAT STUFF !

3355grq.jpg

Processing Power:
At the heart of this mobile computer is its powerful 600 MHz processor and up to 1GB of application memory. The superscalar ARM processor delivers exceptional power and enables you to run all your applications quickly, smoothly, and simultaneously.

* ARM Cortex - A8 superscalar microprocessor core running at 600 MHz
* Up to 1 GB of application memory (256 MB RAM, 768 MB virtual memory)
* Linux-based operating system
* 3D graphics accelerator with OpenGL ES 2.0 support

zkg9ld.jpg

Large internal storage
The built-in 32 GB storage is big enough to store up to 7,000 of your favourite songs or 40 hours of DVD-quality video. And with an external microSD card you can expand the storage to up to 48 GB.

* 32 GB internal storage
* Expandable to up to 48 GB with external microSD card

241m8a0.jpg

Fast wireless broadband
For the first time get high-speed broadband that’s as fast as an internet connection at home. Enjoy rich interactive content across the web and view pages the way they should be seen with stunning full-screen browsing.

* 3.5G and WLAN connectivity
* Quadband GSM with GPRS and EDGE
* Data transfers over a cellular network 10/2Mbps
* Data transfers over Wi-Fi 54Mbps
* Flash 9.4 support
* Full-screen browsing

33z8qao.jpg

High-quality digital camera
Capture vivid images and DVD-quality widescreen video with the integrated 5-megapixel camera. The Carl Zeiss optical lens brings added clarity, while the dual LED flash lets you take great pictures day or night.

* 5-megapixel digital camera
* Carl Zeiss optical lens
* Dual LED flash
* 800 × 480 resolution video recording

213q98i.jpg

Innovative design
Powerful hardware packed into a sleek, compact design. The Nokia N900 mobile computer features a sharp 800 x 480 touch-screen display and a fully integrated QWERTY keyboard.

* Touch-sensitive screen
* 3.5” WVGA display
* 800 × 480 resolution
* Tactile and onscreen QWERTY keyboards
* Removable battery

2j1wume.jpg

Integrated A-GPS navigation
Find your position quickly and accurately with the built-in Assisted-GPS receiver. The Nokia N900 works seamlessly with Ovi Maps to give you the quickest available route as you navigate from A to B.

* Assisted-GPS receiver
* Ovi Maps pre-installed

Some neat tipits:

- Supports push email from your favourite services including Microsoft Live Hotmail, Yahoo! Mail, and Google Mail.

- Copy and paste: Save time by copying and pasting text from a webpage or email into a new message.

- IMAP and POP3: Retrieve your messages from different email clients and servers with support for IMAP and POP3 – the most widely used email protocols.

edit: Other neat stuff (will update sometime later.)

Stay organised
2ziuio9.jpg

Set up multiple calendars for different uses instead of cramming all your entries, tasks, and notes into one place. Each calendar is colour-coded and clearly laid out to help keep you organised.

Full specs:
Display

* 3.5 inch touch-sensitive widescreen display
* 800 × 480 pixel resolution

Language support

British English, American English, Canadian French, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Latin American Spanish, Swedish, Russian

Connectivity

* 3.5mm AV connector
* TV out (PAL/NTSC) with Nokia Video Connectivity Cable
* Micro-USB connector, High-Speed USB 2.0
* Bluetooth v2.1 including support for stereo headsets
* Integrated FM transmitter
* Integrated GPS with A-GPS

Battery

BL-5J 1320mAh

Processor and 3D accelerator

TI OMAP 3430: ARM Cortex-A8 600 MHz, PowerVR SGX with OpenGL ES 2.0 support
Memory

Up to 1GB of application memory (256 MB RAM, 768 MB virtual memory)

Size and weight

Volume: Approx 113cc
Dimensions: 110.9 × 59.8 × 18 (19.55 at thickest part) mm
Weight: Approx 181g

Mass memory

* 32 GB internal storage
* Store up to 7000 MP3 songs or 40 hours of high-quality video
* Up to 16 GB of additional storage with an external microSD card

Keys and input method

* Full QWERTY tactile keyboard
* Full QWERTY onscreen keyboard

Colour

Black

Operating frequency

* Quad-band GSM EDGE 850/900/1800/1900
* WCDMA 900/1700/2100 MHz

Data network

GPRS class A, multislot class 32, maximum speed 107/64.2 kbps (DL/UL) EDGE class A, multislot class 32, maximum speed 296/177.6 kbps (DL/UL) WCDMA 900/1700/2100. Maximum speed PS 384/384 kbps (DL/UL) HSPA 900/1700/2100. Maximum speed PS 10/2 Mbps (DL/UL) WLAN IEEE 802.11b/g

Call features

* Integrated hands-free stereo speakers
* Call waiting, call hold, call divert
* Call timer
* Logging of dialed, received and missed calls
* Speed dialing via contact widget
* Virbrating alert (internal)
* Side volume keys
* Mute/unmute
* Contacts with images
* Conference calling with up to 3 participants
* Internet calling

Email & Messaging

* Supported protocols: Mail for Exchange, IMAP, POP3, SMTP
* Support for email attachments
* Support for rich HTML
* SMS and Instant Messages as conversations
* Support for Nokia Messaging service
* Instant messaging and presence enhanced contacts
* Multiple number, email and Instant Messaging details per contact, contacts with

images
* Support for assigning images to contacts

Web browsing

* Maemo browser powered by Mozilla technology
* Adobe Flash™ 9.4 support
* Full screen browsing

GPS and navigation

* Integrated GPS, Assisted-GPS, and Cell-based receivers
* Pre-loaded Ovi Maps application
* Automatic geotagging

Camera

* 5 megapixel camera (2584 × 1938 pixels)
* Image formats: JPEG
* CMOS sensor, Carl Zeiss optics, Tessar lens
* 3 × digital zoom
* Autofocus with assist light and two-stage capture key
* Dual LED flash
* Full-screen viewfinder
* Photo editor on device
* TV out (PAL/NTSC) with Nokia Video Connectivity Cable (CA-75U, included in box) or

WLAN/UPnP

* Landscape (horizontal) orientation
* Capture modes: Automatic, portrait, video, macro, landscape, action

Video

* Wide aspect ratio 16:9 (WVGA)
* Video recording file format: .mp4; codec: MPEG-4
* Video recording at up to 848 × 480 pixels (WVGA) and up to 25fps
* Video playback file formats: .mp4, .avi, .wmv, .3gp; codecs: H.264, MPEG-4, Xvid, WMV, H.263

Music and audio playback

* Maemo media player
* Music playback file formats: .wav, .mp3, .AAC, .eAAC, .wma, .m4a
* Built-in FM transmitter
* Ring tones: .wav, .mp3, .AAC, .eAAC, .wma, .m4a
* FR, EFR, WCDMA, and GSM AMR
* Digital stereo microphone
* DLNA

Personalisation

* Background pictures
* Widgets on your desktops
* Intelligent contact shortcuts
* Shortcuts to your favourite websites
* Shortcuts to applications
* Themes

Operating system

Maemo 5 software on Linux

Applications

* Maemo Browser
* Phone
* Conversations
* Contacts
* Camera
* Photos
* Media player
* Email
* Calendar
* Ovi Maps
* Clock
* Notes
* Calculator
* PDF reader
* File manager
* RSS reader
* Sketch
* Games
* Widgets
* Application manager for downloads

Gaming

* Bounce
* Chess
* Mahjong

What´s in the box

* Nokia N900
* Nokia Battery (BL-5J)
* Nokia High Efficiency Charger (AC-10)
* Nokia Stereo Headset (WH-205)
* Video out cable (CA-75U)
* Nokia charger adaptor (CA-146C)
* Cleaning cloth

aorange999 said:

bionic77

aorange999 said:
iPhone killer!!! Yes I said it ;)
Every electronics device released is an iPhone killer. From now on let's just specify what is NOT an iPhone killer to save time (and the eventual embarassment when you are wrong).

This is the right decision from Nokia though. Symbian seems prehistoric these days and they needed a new OS badly.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
aorange999 said:
iPhone killer!!! Yes I said it ;) Obviously Nokia is targeting the iPhone with this device by emphasizing all the shortcomings of the iphone, Adobe Flash, removable battery, multitasking etc check these videos very impressive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhTtsZATwBQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP5R-5NX1BE

Official website

http://maemo.nokia.com

I dont like that term iphone killer. There are already a few phones that are better than the iphone out there already. Could this be one of them...maybe. Seems ok but I dont see this doing things differently than current phones out there. From what I have read it has a resistive touch screen.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
SSGMUN10000 said:
I dont like that term iphone killer. There are already a few phones that are better than the iphone out there already. Could this be one of them...maybe. Seems ok but I dont see this doing things differently than current phones out there. From what I have read it has a resistive touch screen.

don't care about resistive. No multitouch, but as long as its responsive thats fine.

love the multiple homescreens, and how the presenter had them 'themed' simply by putting eg music widgets all in one place.

I hope this, along with the pre helps to push the idea that you can have multiple apps open at once, and that it is useful to do that, not just a tech bullet point.

Put pressure on apple to up their game in that area.

BTW, does 'mozilla based browser' mean firefox?

What is HSPA, where/how does it work and do you need to pay for it?

If I can get this phone without having to pay for a data plan (which Nokia phones are known for), than it's MINE.

CiSTM

Banned
Uncompromisable said:

If I can get this phone without having to pay for a data plan (which Nokia phones are known for), than it's MINE.

I tried to check it out from wiki and it was way beyond me. Maybe someone can put it in simple words. I grasped the general idea but still I can't put it in to words :lol

Tacitus_

Uncompromisable said:

It's a form of 3G internet connection that some networks use. Dunno how it works across the pond, but here it costs the same, no matter what connection type your device uses.

ha1f

aorange999 said:
iPhone killer!!! Yes I said it ;) Obviously Nokia is targeting the iPhone with this device by emphasizing all the shortcomings of the iphone, Adobe Flash, removable battery, multitasking etc check these videos very impressive

:lol

Have you ever owned a Nokia device running Maemo? Because I've got 2 sitting right here. I can assure you, this is no iPhone killer.

CiSTM

Banned
ha1f said:

Have you ever owned a Nokia device running Maemo? Because I've got 2 sitting right here. I can assure you, this is no iPhone killer.

N900 will run on Maemo 5 which is lot more advancet than OS2008 (4.1).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
ha1f said:

its pretty obvious from the video demos that they've skinned/updated the UI significantly from the N800/810, which were much more 'hardcore linux'. I agree that they weren't exactly user friendly, but this looks great

edit: Everything the guy below says is valid, but if it was still N800 level linux it would be no good. The fact that not only is it 'a computer' but also they appear to be applying a nice level of custom skin on the front (bit like ubuntu I suppose) means it might be actually usable for standard consumers.

Thats the best part potentially. real computer but recognising that most people just want to use the browser and do email etc, they don't want root access (but good that its all there for the hardcore)

Uncompromisable said:

HSPA is just the fancy term for faster 3G data transfers. The first 3G was UMTS and was about 384 kbps whereas HSPA is 10 mbps. iPhone uses HSPA basically any 3G phone for the last year or so uses HSPA.

SSGMUN1000000 said:

I was being tongue in cheek when I said iPhone killer, I know there are tons of phones that compete with the iPhone. Let me explain myself why I think this really is the iPhone killer.

This N900 is really a computer not a phone. Its a debian linux based software which happens to have a regular GSM phone process running in the background. What this means is that you don't really need to 'sync' this device with anything. You don't need applications because it runs the FULL internet, Firefox 3, webkit full Flash and Javascript, you can run Vimeo.com on it.

The resistive touchscreen is apparently super responsive and is needed if you are going to run desktop applications on it, but the top layer is fully finger compliant.

This is the most open device EVER delivered as a mobile phone by a major manufacturer, you can gain root and run anything you want on it without jailbreaking etc. This means whatever you want the device to do you can do it ie, dual boot Android or Ubuntu Mobile.

The hardware specs blow the iphone out of the water *including* the screen which is 800 x 480, 5 mp camera with flash removable battery, microSD support as well as 32GB built in memory, front facing camera for video calls over Google Video.

It is more complicated than an iPhone for sure, but I don't really mind that.

ha1f said:

I have an N810 and an N800 running Diablo maemo 4.2. Maemo 5 is quite a bit different and is on much more powerful hardware.

ha1f

CiSTM said:
Rumors at the moment says that N900 will run on Maemo 5 which is lot more advancet than OS2008 (4.1).
You really think that matters? The dev community just isn't there. Apps get ported, but nothing gets written specifically for the Nxxx devices. That's why it can't beat the iPhone.

I'm as guilty as other people when it comes to this. I've started a few projects on my Nxxx devices that just fizzled because I lost interest. As soon as Android and the iPhone showed up, I moved onto coding for them.

mrklaw said:
its pretty obvious from the video demos that they've skinned/updated the UI significantly from the N800/810, which were much more 'hardcore linux'. I agree that they weren't exactly user friendly, but this looks great
I'm not really talking about looks :\

Uncompromisable said:
Can iPhone run DOSBOX?

no
So you're saying dosbox is the iPhone killer?:lol

I have an N810 and an N800 running Diablo maemo 4.2. Maemo 5 is quite a bit different and is on much more powerful hardware.
And a bunch of interested developers are just going to pop up ?

I'm not saying this thing isn't pretty, or that it's not powerful. I can read and look at pictures just as well as the next guy. But there is always a ton of hype when Nokia comes out with one of these things, and then 6 monthes later everyone's playing with their iPhones. Do I genuinely hope it does well? Of course. I love open devices. Shit, I even started porting a firmware update app to FreeBSD. But if you're calling it an iPhone killer you're disillusion. You say you were being tongue and cheek, which is fine, but you aren't the only one saying this. I mean, the FreeRunner was an "iPhone killer" too, right? Riiiiiight.

CiSTM

Banned
ha1f said:
You really think that matters? The dev community just isn't there. Apps get ported, but nothing gets written specifically for the Nxxx devices. That's why it can't beat the iPhone.

To be clear: I do not think this will be Iphone killer. Iphone has tremendous dev community and there is no way Nokia could compete with it... But the fact remains that Nokia is actually "buttering up" some of the most known iphone community devs and Nokia is really putting some effort to improve Ovi Store. So I think Nokia will have decent dev community in the near future.

Still when it comes to Apple there is just no way to compete with it at the moment or in near future.

edit: and there is decent dev community even for the current maemo OSs. http://maemo.org/ is good place to start but there are bigger communities too.

CiSTM said:
To be clear: I do not think this will be Iphone killer. Iphone has tremendous dev community and there is no way Nokia could compete with it... But the fact remains that Nokia is actually "buttering up" some of the most known iphone community devs and Nokia is really putting some effort to improve Ovi Store. So I think Nokia will have decent dev community in the near future.

Still when it comes to Apple there is just no way to compete with it at the moment or in near future.

edit: and there is decent dev community even for the current maemo OSs. http://maemo.org/ is good place to start but there are bigger communities too.
Agreed.

Noone can compete with the App store for the foreseeable future, there is no doubt about that. Silicon Valley is in love with the iPhone simply because the App store is monetized at the core, there is simply no way to install additions to the iPhone or iPod touch without going through the portal. I don't think that maemo can compete with that in its current iteration. They would have to do an Ovi store DRM and lock down the device which seems to be against what they have encouraged in the maemo community.

The key difference is that if the browser is strong enough you simply don't need that many applications. Lots of the apps on the Appstore are simply Widgets that pull from existing websites.

Nokia is a device maker and has realized that they can't compete in software, that is why they open sourced Symbian, created maemo and practiced/honed it with experimental devices in the 770, n800 and n810 and are now releasing their first iteration of maemo hardware.

The next iteration of maemo is called Harmattan and it is believed that that OS will directly compete with iPhoneOS and the devices will compete with the iPhone 4G.

ha1f

CiSTM said:
To be clear: I do not think this will be Iphone killer.
Well, to be fair, I :lol 'd before you made it clear that you didn't want that to be taken seriously.
I know what's there. I was talking about the community in relation to the iPhone, or even Android dev communities. Granted, in hindsight it's really not a fair comparison because building apps for droid and iPhone is made ridiculously easy, where as for the Nokia devices... it just isn't.
aorange999 said:
The next iteration of maemo is called Harmattan and it is believed that that OS will directly compete with iPhoneOS and the devices will compete with the iPhone 4G.
I look forward to seeing it, especially if they plan on putting it on multiple devices.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Today and tomorrow is Nokia World so expect a helluva videos and information about the device coming out of the woods.

Have to say, it is certainly an interesting device. It's actually the first thing that interests me enough to jump out of Apple's (walled) garden.

Gunstar

Banned
Wow, this makes the N97 look like a piece of shit. Probably won't touch the iPhone (yet) in general user experience, but I applaud the fact that someone at least seems to be trying.

Pacbois

It costs 599€ on the German and Italian Nokia Stores, the same as the N97.

Oh and 649€ on the French Store :/

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Gunstar said:
Wow, this makes the N97 look like a piece of shit. Probably won't touch the iPhone (yet) in general user experience, but I applaud the fact that someone at least seems to be trying.

To be honest Nokia has shipped disappointment after disappointment since the N95.

The N900 is their first device in quite some time that's genuinely interesting. Apple really changed the game, it's taken two years for suitable devices like the Pre or the N900 to show up.

Lafazar

Uncompromisable said:
Nokia Symbian phones can run a whole amalgam of emulators, including NES, SNES, GENESIS, MEGADRIVE, GBA.

But Holy shit is that DOS BOX running on a symbian OS phone???

my man

Since the Nokia 900 has the exact same chipset as the Open Pandora (and the iPhone 3Gs as well), you might find this forum discussion interesting:

Dosbox on Pandora (OMAP 3450 chipset):
http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?/topic/49010-anyone-for-dosbox/

They have tested some games, this will tell you what performance you can expect.

I foresee a great future for open ARM devices, since all developments can be shared among all these devices, and there are some great things in development, like an N64 emulator:
http://openpandora.wordpress.com/2009/08/31/nintendo-sixty/

Gunstar

Banned
Something I always want to know with these new phones, but can never find out, is whether these support enhanced podcasts (.m4a files with chapter markers and pictures).

For me, that's the most important factor of any device that plays music.

fushi

Gunstar said:
Something I always want to know with these new phones, but can never find out, is whether these support enhanced podcasts (.m4a files with chapter markers and pictures).

For me, that's the most important factor of any device that plays music.
Link me to one of these podcasts and I'll try it out for you.

It's bassicly a N97, with another OS, worse qwerty board, and stronger processor... I mean, almost all the specs are exactly the same?

CiSTM

Banned
Mr. Durden said:
It's bassicly a N97, with another OS, worse qwerty board, and stronger processor... I mean, almost all the specs are exactly the same?

What else could they have added ? I think new OS, more processing power and 1 GB of application memory is decent upgrade.

edit: also new graphic processor: PowerVR SGX with OpenGL ES 2.0 support

CiSTM said:
What else could they have added ? I think new OS, more processing power and 1 GB of application memory is decent upgrade.
It's not... it really isn't. Especially since there's so little time between release. There are a lot of aspects in which it could improve. More GB of storage mem, better cam (more mp, optical zoom, hd video recording etc), better screen (not only res, but type, multitouch etc).
It's just weird releasing about the same phone again...

Reese-015

Mr. Durden said:
It's not... it really isn't. Especially since there's so little time between release. There are a lot of aspects in which it could improve. More GB of storage mem, better cam (more mp, optical zoom, hd video recording etc), better screen (not only res, but type, multitouch etc).

I see your point hardware-wise, it is a bit weird... The OS seems like a pretty huge change though.

CiSTM

Banned
Mr. Durden said:

Well I guess you are right... Still I have to say OS change and more power is enough for me ;) Maemo is the selling point for me.

Reese-015 said:
I see your point hardware-wise, it is a bit weird... The OS seems like a pretty huge change though.
CiSTM said:
Well I guess you are right... Still I have to say OS change and more power is enough for me ;) Maemo is the selling point for me.
Yeah but it's weird. Since Nokia said Symbain is still their lead OS, and they're even developing a new open source Symbian OS. So what's the point of this phone?

CiSTM

Banned
Mr. Durden said:
Yeah but it's weird. Since Nokia said Symbain is still their lead OS, and they're even developing a new open source Symbian OS. So what's the point of this phone?

It's good to have variety ? Nokia will keep supporting and expanding it's Linux line-up without giving up on Symbian. There are plenty of mobilephone manufactures who are supporting more then one os. SonyEricson for example has the Windows line up and Symbian line up.

Gunstar

Banned
Mr. Durden said:

The processor upgrade is by far the most important. Considering there is a huge performance difference between an iPhone 3G and a 3GS; and the fact that an N97 basically has the same processor as an iPhone 3G and an N900 the same as a 3GS, makes it really worthwile. :)

aorange999 said:
If you write "iPhone killer" and then follow that up with a generic list of features, you're missing the point in what it's going to take for something to be an iPhone killer. There are hundreds of phones with better feature lists than the iPhone.

Unless this thing blows away everyone that actually has it in their hands as they're doing mundane shit with it, and is so good that friends and everyone around the person has to play with it, the iPhone is going to keep being the one to beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom