• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia N900 is here (Linux phone) !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
tino said:
As a Nokia n800 owner, I think Nokia is losing the touch. Maemo the Linux platform is at its 5th version and there are still many basic software missing.

You know how the PSP could have easily become a personal music player, but because Sony didn't even put a decent playlist manager and desktop manager on it, the music functions were left to rot? This is what Nokia is doing with some of the Maemo/n900's software. For example, PIM software. Address book/notepad/todo list/calendar, things that are so basic in other system, are so poor in Maemo. When the PalmOS emulator was released for Maemo, people were happy because they could use Palm PIM on Maemo, via emulation!

Oh, they said, but you can use the real Linux word processor (Abiword I think) on it. Dude, I don't want a freaking PC word processor. I want something very easy to use with one hand, and preferably sync with desktop/online. There are other things missing, oh for example, basic native eastern language support. iPhone has had it since version 2. What the hell Nokia, how euro-centric can you get?

That's the story of Nokia's hacked up Linux platform. I lost my n800. At $100 used price, it's still the best 4.3" video player/editable GPS/web browser/tiny computer eve at this day. I can say the same thing with n810, which is about $150-180 on ebay. But with n900's smaller screen and worse keyboard, this new incarnation does nothing to me.

Frankly, if HTC can squeeze a 4.2 inch screen on a phone barely any bigger than an iPhone, there was no excuse not to do the same. Specially considering the N900 doesn't need front buttons.

The Maemo community is excited because being a phone it has a chance to reach more people, but the loss of screen realstate has been a blow. Which also implies a smaller keyboard, to boot.

Just got this the other day and I love it. I really wanted a powerful internet phone with a physical keyboard. Ive used a couple of phones (Nokia n95 GB, HTC touch HD) in the past 2 years and this is the first one to meet all my needs.

CiSTM

Banned
Dibbz said:
Does this thing have flash 10.1 on it yet? Thinking of getting one real soon.

Don't buy it. It is a dam fine phone but Nokia has ditched Maemo already. MeeGo is Nokia's (and Intel's) new upcoming OS. Nokia sohuld announce first MeeGo phones soonish. Given that N900 will have MeeGo update too but I would still wait for the MeeGo phones.

Oh, and for your question, yes N900 has flash 10.1

edit: if you want to know more about meego visit:
http://meego.com/

Dibbz

Any idea how long that will take though? I was looking at getting a phone in the next week or so. Is there an something similar to the n900? I know there is the driod but that doesn't have a physical keyboard does it? I really want a phone with a nice qwerty keyboard.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Dibbz said:
Any idea how long that will take though? I was looking at getting a phone in the next week or so. Is there an something similar to the n900? I know there is the driod but that doesn't have a physical keyboard does it? I really want a phone with a nice qwerty keyboard.

The Droid/Milestone does have a physical keyboard

Dibbz said:

I wouldn't get this phone. I'm sure people love it, but even Nokia themselves seem to think its eh and are working on finger replacements. Especially the OS, so...it's a little pointless.

I hated on the Droid's keyboard at first but then I gave it a chance and it's one of my favorite mobile keyboards, I can do 80wpm on it and I love the feel of the keys. You're also getting an additional row for buttons and a proper locatio for the space bar on the Droid. Android is also a powerful and flexible operating system, so it's worth looking into that. I'd go Android or wait for MeeGo to be honest

Fuzz Rez

Banned
Dibbz said:

I think Droid/milestone is your best choice at the moment if you like apps. Samsung Omnia Pro isn't bad either but it does run on Windows (6.5) so it might not be your thing. I have used Omnia Pro a bit and I really don't have anything to complain about it. It was fast and the qwerty board felt solid.

edit: Check out some reviews and youtube vids of Omnia Pro. It is really nice phone so at least give it a chance :)

CiSTM said:
Don't buy it. It is a dam fine phone but Nokia has ditched Maemo already. MeeGo is Nokia's (and Intel's) new upcoming OS. Nokia sohuld announce first MeeGo phones soonish. Given that N900 will have MeeGo update too but I would still wait for the MeeGo phones.

Oh, and for your question, yes N900 has flash 10.1

edit: if you want to know more about meego visit:
http://meego.com/
MeeGo is a fusion of Maemo and Intel's mobile platform. It's been targeted to work on the N900.

CiSTM

Banned
lunarworks said:
MeeGo is a fusion of Maemo and Intel's mobile platform. It's been targeted to work on the N900.

MeeGo 1.0 will work on N900 but there is no word if it will work on 1.1 or 1.2. There was some speculation @ maemo community formus that N900 will not support future MeeGo versions only 1.0.

Dibbz

I'll have a look at the Droid then but I'm not a big fan of Motorolla. Currently have a v3 and am really keen on getting rid of it soon :lol

It's a really good phone, but yeah, hard to recommend when Nokia's software support is so half-assed.

maemo.org apps are pretty impressive, though. I'm overclocking mine at the moment, took about an hour to read through all the details and 10 seconds to actually do it. :lol

CiSTM

Banned
Dibbz said:
I'll have a look at the Droid then but I'm not a big fan of Motorolla. Currently have a v3 and am really keen on getting rid of it soon :lol

As Fuzz Rez said, you should think about Omnia Pro. Other good windows phones with QWERT are HTC Touch Pro 2 and Sony Ericson Xperia 2.

WingM@n

I have a N900 and it's one of the coolest phones ever. Got it since January and still I am amazed of it's capabilities. It's runs all kinds of emulators perfectly, it's a multi-tasking beast, best webbrowsing experience of all phones currently availlable imo.
Software support is average compared to other platforms.. But still plenty of fun apps to download.
Waiting for the last big Maemo update, and hopefully we'll get Meego soon.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
WingM@n said:
I have a N900 and it's one of the coolest phones ever. Got it since January and still I am amazed of it's capabilities. It's runs all kinds of emulators perfectly, it's a multi-tasking beast, best webbrowsing experience of all phones currently availlable imo.
Software support is average compared to other platforms.. But still plenty of fun apps to download.
Waiting for the last big Maemo update, and hopefully we'll get Meego soon.

Yeah, but how much software suppor one does need ? There is something like 50,000 apps in android market but I can easily say most of them are useless. There are some fun gadgets but all the must have apps are also available for every OS (win,symbian,apple os, etc.). Nokia N900 is great phone but there are some better phones on the market and MeeGo is right around the corner so I don't really see why anyone should buy it. Maybe after price drop.

edit: have to disagree with "best webbrowsing experience". it's not bad but with resitive touch-screen it's just not good as the phones with capacitive touch-screens.

Fuzz Rez said:
edit: have to disagree with "best webbrowsing experience". it's not bad but with resitive touch-screen it's just not good as the phones with capacitive touch-screens.
If you have to zoom the battle's already lost, IMO.

CiSTM

Banned
Bad news for N900 owners.

"And after much speculation, Nokia's also admitting that MeeGo will not be officially supported on the N900 once the Intel / Nokia OS is device ready. Nokia will continue to support the core Maemo OS, however, as demonstrated by today's update. Regardless, we're sure that the N900's active fan-base will deliver a MeeGo update outside of official channels, especially since the N900 is already being used as a platform for ARM-based MeeGo development."

Nokia really should announce the Meego phones asap. I'm gonna buy new phone very soon and it is either Android or Meego phone.

Fuzz Rez said:
Nokia N900 is great phone but there are some better phones on the market and MeeGo is right around the corner so I don't really see why anyone should buy it. Maybe after price drop.

I would actually still buy one but I'm waiting for price drop, its still about 400$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom