• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NOM UK MP2E Review : we have uh oh

Found this so here's the run down:

97%

From the second you turn your Gamecube on, it oozes quality. Notice we’ve kept in this review down to a minimum. That’s because the best thing about Metroid Prime 2 is that you don’t know what’s going to happen next. It’s so damn absorbing it’ll make you want to play it for hours on end. You NEED to know what’s around every corner and what’s hidden in every little crevice of Aether. There are tons of stuff to find and loads of enemies to battle and we certainly don’t want to ruin that for you until you can get your hands on a copy. Now save your cash for November 26th because when this classic hits the shelves you need to sprint down to the shops like your being chased by a man-eating Pitbull pumped up on Phazon. Prime 2 is the greatest game to happen in Gamecube’s lifetime. Time will tell if it’s the best game the console has to offer (remember the next Zelda is still to come), but for now weep tears of joy for Samus’s second coming Gamecube. It will blow you away, make no mistake about that.

Link_01

Link_02

Soul4ger

Between this, Metal Gear Solid 3, and Prince of Persia: Warrior Within, I'm not gonna know what to do with myself.

miyuru

To be honest I didn't think MP2 would match the original.

Go Retro! :) It just seems that devs these days aren't very consistent, err I just feel that way :p

Zilch

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
old, but not the text. Thanks.

Seems that opinions really differ in this game.

Yeah, it's gotten scores ranging from "really good" to "extremely good" and everything in between!

Grubdog

Banned
Why did it only get 97%? What didn't they like about it? Why don't they like it? Why do they hate it? Why do they hate Nintendo?

Tenguman

i hate number scores. I mean, as a reviewer how can you say "The game was a 97....but not quite a 98" or "I think these graphics are a 9...but not a 9.2"

just doesn't make sense

if you have scores it should just be letter based, F D C B A

AniHawk

Grubdog said:
Why did it only get 97%? What didn't they like about it? Why don't they like it? Why do they hate it? Why do they hate Nintendo?

:lol

I want to hear what people have to say about multiplayer.

Tenguman

AniHawk said:

I dunno, but I know how it ends:

Samus realizes that the Space Pirates are planning a full envasion force to Aether. She suits up and heads off for what seems like the next and most awesome mission of the game involving a battle royale like you've never seen. Role credits.

AniHawk said:

All I've heard so far is that it's a decent distraction from the single player. I think some might enjoy it much more than others, seeing as it goes in a completely different direction than other multiplayer FPS modes.

Tenguman said:

Samus realizes that the Space Pirates are planning a full envasion force to Aether. She suits up and heads off for what seems like the next and most awesome mission of the game involving a battle royale like you've never seen. Role credits.
...Eh, I hope they wouldn't go with that ending. I don't want to wait like three years for the next one because of some stupid cliffhanger ending.

miyuru

Tenguman said:
i hate number scores. I mean, as a reviewer how can you say "The game was a 97....but not quite a 98" or "I think these graphics are a 9...but not a 9.2"

just doesn't make sense

if you have scores it should just be letter based, F D C B A

IMO, it's for relativity, so you can compare scores between games. Letter scoring is much more broad, which saves the reviewer a lot of hassle, and keeps the readers happy.

Well, for most games *cough*ninjagaiden*cough*.

Tenguman said:

:lol :lol

Ah, the Halo humor.

Seriously though, I can't see how MP2 could be noticeably worse than Halo 2 as far as the single player game goes.

Tenguman

miyuru said:
IMO, it's for relativity, so you can compare scores between games. Letter scoring is much more broad, which saves the reviewer a lot of hassle, and keeps the readers happy.

Well, for most games *cough*ninjagaiden*cough*.

Of course letter scoring is broad. It's *supposed* to be broad because an experience from a game is soooo subjective --- just like a movie. Using something like 9.8 9.4 9.5 just doesn't make any sense to me -- even for comparing games 9.5 versus 9.4!! Woh! Game B is 1/10 shittier! Won't buy it now!

it's all dumb to me. if i ran a magazine or site i wouldn't even include scores

though i know no one will bother to read.

miyuru said:

I talked about that a bit in my blog recently, but the big point was that with letters (or stars) it's basically up to the reader to decide what B titles are at the top or bottom. It invites less criticism or controversy, which can be good or bad depending on what you want.

Although I like the standard capcom style better - S, A, B, C, F. D = F in my book.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Tenguman said:

did you just spoil the halo2 ending . :(

ohamsie

quadriplegicjon said:
did you just spoil the halo2 ending . :(

Heh, yeah, I have been able to avoid Halo 2 spoilers up until this thread too. Didn't expect to find them in a freaking METROID PRIME THREAD.

miyuru

Tenguman said:
Of course letter scoring is broad. It's *supposed* to be broad because an experience from a game is soooo subjective --- just like a movie. Using something like 9.8 9.4 9.5 just doesn't make any sense to me -- even for comparing games 9.5 versus 9.4!! Woh! Game B is 1/10 shittier! Won't buy it now!

See what you're doing now is, you're taking scores too seriously. And yeah, I know letter scoring is broad. I never said either way of scoring is wrong though, so no need to get flustered.

But yeah, I totally get what you're saying. Reviewing is subjective, but nobody naturally rates things to a tenth in real life, so I don't think they should really in a review, unless it's for relativity...

Maybe a 0.5 point scale would be good?

Top Bottom