• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

North Carolina to begin enforcing posted Speed Limits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

RALEIGH, N.C. -- How fast can you go on the highway without getting the attention of police? Anything under 10 miles per hour over the speed limit is okay, right?

Well, WTVD reported that the North Carolina Department of Transportation is ready to burst the bubble on the widely believed 9 mph cushion myth.

The governor's highway safety program is ramping up what's being called "Obey the Sign or Pay the Fine" speeding enforcement crackdown.

Apparently, there's a belief out there that if the speed limit is 65, officers or troopers won't pull you over if you're doing 1 to 9 miles per hour over the limit - a so-called buffer zone.

The DOT says that's not the case. Law enforcement says beginning Thursday, they'll target and ticket anyone driving above the posted speed limit.

http://myfox8.com/2016/03/23/speedi...nc-to-target-anyone-going-above-posted-limit/

I have never heard of states going after this. Most don't seem to care about that buffer zone or higher. I'm curious to see if this is going to be a new trend.

Mikey Jr.

Holy fuck thats stupid.

In Canada, atleast Ontario, theres a 10kmph buffer. I think Schoolzone is the only exception.

highway speed limits in this country are antiquated at best. This just reeks of "we need more income" rather than a public safety measure.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Fuck that. These highway speed limits are bullshit anyways. 65mph on a highway in a modern car is ridiculous and an archaic idea of what a safe driving speed is.

And this is where the "don't do the crime if you don't want the consequences" people suddenly realize that everyone breaks the law.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
There aren't enough police to enforce this, but it needs to be done once in a while. Otherwise the 9mph buffer becomes 14-19 and the roads get more dangerous for everyone.

Lame that this has to get advertised, we're such a nation of coddlers.

Never heard of this so called "9 mph buffer zone". I was always told it was 5 mph but that an extra strict cop could still ticket you if they really wanted.

JoeBoy101

I do 5 over on I-440 in raleigh and the police go 15 faster than i do.

Yup. Saw this and scoffed. Truly, they're going to suddenly start pulling people going 5 over all over the place, up and down Capital and around the Beltline? Its not economically efficient for them.

iwannaseethereceipts.gif

They'll forget about this in a month.

HariKari

Must need money.

Is NC one of those states (like Ohio) where a cop can pull you over for speeding without using a radar gun?

finley83

Banned
A buffer? Police in the UK will happily pull you over for doing 2-3mph over the limit.

On the other hand they don't carry guns, so guess it balances out

akira28

did you know that NC needs cash and cities all over the state are feeling the Conservative tightening of the proud southern states rights belt?

The Lamp

Lmao whatever North Carolina police.

Here in Texas if you aren't going at least 10mph over the speed limit on the freeway (ours go up to 80mph, God bless Texas) the police might actually get frustrated by you going too slow and try to pass you.

KingBroly

Banned
Must need money.

Is NC one of those states (like Ohio) where a cop can pull you over for speeding without using a radar gun?

It's an empty threat. They only have so many police officers. They can't use highway radars around Charlotte because of some thing they royally fucked up YEARS ago in regards to paying the city schools versus the company that made + installed them.

NC resident here, I always go 2-5 over the limit. I just did it yesterday behind a cop who then got further and further ahead of me since he was driving faster. I find it hard to believe that they'll actually enforce it in most areas though. But the threat of it does kind of scare me a bit since I actually live here.

akira28

Here in Texas if you aren't going at least 10mph over the speed limit on the freeway (ours go up to 80mph, God bless Texas) the police might actually get frustrated by you going too slow and try to pass you.

Happens all the time. I lock it at 55 and make them pass me. They usually pull around and zoom off at 70.

Cipherr

What? That's, uh. Kinda stupid. No one doesn't drive a little over the limit sometimes...

False.

I find a big ass number on a sign in black and white posted every 3 blocks or so and labeled as a "Speed Limit" to be one of the most simple and easy to understand concepts on the planet.

I mean that with every fiber of my being. I have zero issues driving the speed limit, and for the life of me cannot figure out why looking these signs that read '60MPH' would make a person immediately think "what they really meant was 69!".

darscot

False.

I find a big ass number on a sign in black and white posted every 3 blocks or so and labeled as a "Speed Limit" to be one of the most simple and easy to understand concepts on the planet.

I mean that with every fiber of my being. I have zero issues driving the speed limit, and for the life of me cannot figure out why looking at said signs that read 60 would make a person immediately think that 'what they really meant was 69!'.

I hate speed limits, they make no sense have been proven wrong and unsafe. All speeds limits should be adjusted to some percentile that drivers drive on them and roads would be considerable safer. Something like 80% of people drive the speed that is most safe and ignore the sign.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

That's also been my experience. Plus in town, like in Houston, you can get away with 15 over fairly regularly. It's often too dangerous to pull people over because of the sheer volume of traffic.

False.

I mean that with every fiber of my being. I have zero issues driving the speed limit, and for the life of me cannot figure out why looking these signs that read '60MPH' would make a person immediately think "what they really meant was 69!".
Same. I've got no problem driving the speed limit. No clue what everyone else is in such a rush for all the time. Cars are fucking nice. AC, music, sunshine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom