• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Northern Irish Bakery loses appeal regarding gay marriage cake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razmos

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-37748681
The Christian owners of a Northern Ireland bakery have lost their appeal against a ruling that their refusal to make a "gay cake" was discriminatory.
Appeal court judges said that, under law, the bakers were not allowed to provide a service only to people who agreed with their religious beliefs.
Two years ago, the family-run firm refused to make a cake saying: "Support Gay Marriage".
It had been ordered by gay rights activist Gareth Lee.

Reacting to the ruling, Daniel McArthur from Ashers said he was "extremely disappointed" adding that it undermined "democratic freedom, religious freedom and free speech".
"If equality law means people can be punished for politely refusing to support other people's causes then equality law needs to change," he said.

In their ruling, they said: "The fact that a baker provides a cake for a particular team or portrays witches on a Halloween cake does not indicate any support for either."
The judges also said that Ashers would not have objected to a cake carrying the message: "Support Heterosexual Marriage" or indeed "Support Marriage".
"We accept that it was the use of the word 'gay' in the context of the message which prevented the order from being fulfilled," they said.

Original thread

Good. Stay losing.

Don't understand anyone who would be so petty over other people's lives. Fundamentally disagreeing with someone else's life and happiness is just shitiness of the highest order and probably as unchristian as you could be.

The cake design in question:
bert_ernie_2967284c.jpg

Aurongel

You'd think that The only Christian businesses are bakeries given stories like this...

I don't know what is so special about bakeries for them to become the battlegrounds for conflicts like this.

It must be awful to be that bitter and warped that you would negatively impact your own livelyhood just to try and spitefully put a pin in other people's happiness.

Tuffty

The typical reaction from people against this is "Well what if I walk into a bakery and ask for a cake supporting Nazis/ISIS/KKK" and I just want to shake them by the shoulders and make them realise that their examples are in support of extremist/racist groups and ideals whereas in this example it's a positive message over equal rights where the image used on the cake isn't offensive

I'm a bit conflicted about this, but I suppose this is a decent outcome.

Since they lost what happens now? Do they need to pay a fine? Do they need to make 100 cakes in support of gay marriage?

I'm a bit conflicted about this, but I suppose this is a decent outcome.

Since they lost what happens now? Do they need to pay a fine? Do they need to make 100 cakes in support of gay marriage?

The court ruled they have to turn Gay

I bet they're eating humble pie now

Pause for applause

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Did I read it correctly but did they have the NI Attorney General on their side for the appeal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom