• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November 2014 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes December 9th

Elandyll

Banned
Hmm. The silence is deafening. I expected a multiple page thread on Microsoft's PR by the time I checked today if they had clearly taken BF. It may be a lot closer than people originally thought and based on what I saw on BF, that wouldn't surprise me.

I don't think they would necessarily know that they would have clearly outsold the competition (specially if not by a very wide margin), but it is indeed surprising to not see a "we have sold XX% more than the preceeding week", or "Completely sold out at XX% of retailers", or something like that. Particularly if they are expecting to "take" the month.

Couldn't be that they would be holding on this kind of announcement to release that ... Friday or Saturday, to try to shadow the PSX event in the medias? Right?

MS (Aaron Greenberg?) would never do something -that- Douchey?

Right?

Welfare

I don't think they would necessarily know that they would have clearly outsold the competition (specially if not by a very wide margin), but it is indeed surprising to not see a "we have sold XX% more than the preceeding week", or "Completely sold out at XX% of retailers", or something like that. Particularly if they are expecting to "take" the month.

Couldn't be that they would be holding on this kind of announcement to release that ... Friday or Saturday, to try to shadow the PSX event in the medias? Right?

Right?
They would only release the numbers during the weekend if they completly erased the gap in the US.

Right?

Yeah, they may not know about Sony's sales but it seems to me MS is looking for straight up PR victories right now. I'm sure they are looking to say that they have definitively "won" a battle...absolute victory.I mean we heard them shouting about "almost 10 mil shipped" so you'd think they'd have said something by now, just seems off to me. Maybe later in the week.

Foshy

Right?

Such a PR announcement could be easily countered by Sony mentioning worldwide sales, though. I doubt it would overshadow anything.

Really surprised there hasn't been Black Friday PR statements from any of the hardware manufacturers.
I wonder when they were released last year.

cakely

I fully expect a Microsoft BF and November victory but I wouldn't read too much into not hearing any PR just yet. I'm guessing neither company wants to "go first".

Sony could always announce something like "sold 15 million to consumers worldwide! The leader in North America and worldwide!" even if they lose November by 200k in the NPDs.

Proxy

If MS is waiting to release PR right before PSX then Sony will counter with sold-through numbers. Although Sony will probably mention them anyway during the keynote.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Do people really think that just because MS didn't release any PR that means they may not have "won" or at least done well? I'm assuming they're just waiting until NPD day.

Meltdowns are potential no matter how the numbers land. People are just anxious to get started with the fun ;)

Do people really think that just because MS didn't release any PR that means they may not have "won" or at least done well? I'm assuming they're just waiting until NPD day.

No one's fault but Nintendo's.

If there's no PR by the end of the day from them it would be highly strange. I'm not saying they for sure lost BF but it would be weird to hear nothing.

Averon

Market's closed and still no PR from MS. As others said, I don't expect PR from Sony until PSX, and Nintendo I have no idea.

Strange that we haven't heard from MS, I guess they could have lost BF(while still winning overall). Hopefully Sony gives us some numbers at PSX.

Im going to be depressed if Wii U is under 300,000

Well, let's look at Wii U's performance throughout the past six months:

May 2014: +86% YOY
June 2014: +233% YOY
July 2014: +175% YOY
August 2014: +92% YOY
September 2014: -8% YOY
October 2014: +36% YOY

It's pretty much a guarantee, given previous positive YOY trends + Smash Bros.'s release, that the Wii U will see material gains.

Will that be enough to elevate Wii U +35% YOY this month? It seems likely, because 300K isn't that high of a threshold to cross.

Duxxy3

I don't understand what they were thinking sitting out black Friday.

Still, it would be depressing.

Is the wii u still underperforming the dreamcast?

Launch aligned the dreamcast still holds a 2/3 million unit lead, and that's with the dreamcast being discontinued months ago.

Serenity

No one's fault but Nintendo's.

They bragged about leading in sales for 10days already this month and tweeted a stack of unsold ps4s on black friday. If they had won by a landslide they would of been all over it already. Speaking of which if they knew they were beating ps4 earlier in the month why is everyone speculating they aren't reporting because they don't know ps4 sales for black friday?

Launch aligned the dreamcast still holds a 2/3 million unit lead, and that's with the dreamcast being discontinued months ago.
This is the best and funniest thing I've read up here today, especially if true.

They bragged about leading in sales for 10days already this month and tweeted a stack of unsold ps4s on black friday. If they had won by a landslide they would of been all over it already. Speaking of which if they knew they were beating ps4 earlier in the month why is everyone speculating they aren't reporting because they don't know ps4 sales for black friday?
Good point; it's unrealistic to think they'd go from being so boisterous to being so timid in the wake of a win/lead in the span of 2 weeks. It could also be a situation where they've won but it's by just a few ten thousand units.

Which doesn't look that good when you factor the value of their bundles and how cheap it's been on offer from some folks.

Sometimes I forget just how much of failure the Wii U is.

And no PR :(

PS4 LTD to WIU LTD is 1.7:1.

PS4 LTD to launch-aligned WIU LTD is 3.4:1.

XB1 LTD to WIU LTD is 1.3:1.

XB1 LTD to launch-aligned WIU LTD is 2.6:1.

Wii U really is trailing no matter what metric you look at. We just don't talk about it often because it's quite boring at this point to see the system limp along in the USA retail market.

Elios83

Wow, looks like all 3 might sit out of PR this year, wonder why.

Nintendo has nothing to brag about.
Sony has always aimed at worldwide dominance with updates on specific worldwide sold through milestones and just brief Twitter messages for NPD results.
Microsoft is the mistery here, maybe a press release is coming tomorrow or maybe they simply didn't win and things ended up in a tie like in the UK, so there's nothing to brag about and they're delaying the party until monthly results are available.

Road

No PR, Xbox One is dead.

Nothing from Sony or Nintendo either. This does not paint a good picture. Console gaming is already in dire straits and the lack of celebration for black friday sales is not encouraging.

It also doesn't make sense to say they're waiting for NPD, since it has become completely irrelevant due to it not tracking downloads.

Nintendo has nothing to brag about.
Sony has always aimed at worldwide dominance with updates on specific worldwide sold through milestones and just brief Twitter messages for NPD results.
Microsoft is the mistery here, maybe a press release is coming tomorrow or maybe they simply didn't win and things ended up in a tie like in the UK, so there's nothing to brag about and they're delaying the party until monthly results are available.

I can get why Sony might not want to do Black Friday sales PR...no excuse for Microsoft, though.

Top Bottom