• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November 2014 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes December 9th

Death2494

Expecting a Microsoft PR today or tomorrow claiming victory.

I'm surprised they haven't done it yet.
Never earlier than Tuesday. Nintendo is usually monday (today), MS tomorrow, Sony wednesday or thursday, if they decide too.
Why would they wait until Tuesday to claim victory for Black Friday? Especially since some sites are already claiming it for them? There isn't a proper etiquette or order when companies release PR statements. That's why I took issue with your claim. You also provided zero information to support it. I assuming we're just suppose to take your word for it. SMH

Death2494

I believe that it was that way for you, but I checked the monthly results too and it did not jump to #14 for me, it went up position by position over several days. I could search for the posts where someone posted the results for 3 different days, but I am too lazy.
Dude it was at #14 because the AC: Unity Bundle was @ #10. I checked them too. He's not lying

Why would they wait until Tuesday to claim victory for Black Friday? Especially since some sites are already claiming it for them? There isn't a proper etiquette or order when companies release PR statements. That's why I took issue with your claim. You also provided zero information to support it. I assuming we're just suppose to take your word for it. SMH

because past Black Friday PR came around that time

really now, it's not that hard

Miles X

Because? Why did they wait in 2010, 2011 and 2012? I don't know why, but they announced all those BF victories on the Tuesday.

And you can go do the research yourself if you don't believe me, either Google or Neogaf will give you the answers. I have no reason to make it up tho (why on earth would I ...)

allan-bh

Microsoft announced 1 million for Xbox One on the same day of launch (which was weird).

I think a press release can happen today, not necessarily have to be tomorrow.

Yea some gave a free game, some gave 12 months of gold like Amazon, some just gave 50$ gift cards on top of it, deals were crazy and not only that, they've even started before BF so XB1 had at least an extra day with those insane deals, Console was practically below 300$ against a 400$ one, Sony doesn't stand a chance.
Price. Price price price. Price price........ Price.

Geez, it's as if people don't remember prior console gens or something. At least I'm basing my own on facts and extrapolations :S

note on Smash: like in the UK, 3DS and Wii U versions will likely be combined in the report (since both of them listed just "Super Smash Bros." for the 3DS version, and UK charts just combined them, so yeah...)

gtj1092

Microsoft announced 1 million for Xbox One on the same day of launch (which was weird).

I think a press release can happen today, not necessarily have to be tomorrow.

That's a good point. I think they are going to wait so they can include cyber monday in the PR seeing how its on sale again for $329 today.

Still think it was shady how they were able to announce sales before a full 24hrs passed at launch.

Elandyll

Banned
No PR yet is sort of strange...

I wonder if sales could be so close over BF (and perhap disappointing compared to last year) that neither would want to be caught with their pants down by making a claim that could then be proven false...

Day is not over yet though, and maybe some stores / franchises are still reporting today.

I wonder if sales could be so close over BF (and perhap disappointing compared to last year) that neither would want to be caught with their pants down by making a claim that could then be proven false...

Day is not over yet though, and maybe some stores / franchises are still reporting today.

Well, Microsoft / Sony / Nintendo like to regularly track a rough estimate of their console sell-through by keeping in contact with major retailers.

But it's quite a bit harder for them to get access to competitor data outside of NPD / GfK.

You know...Wal-Mart might be compliant when they want regular Xbox One sales updates...but not so much for regular PS4 sales updates.

So this may just be a matter of waiting for full-month results to get the full picture before bragging.

Miles X

I already mentioned in the thread not to expect Sony or MS PR today, they've never released it before on a monday, wouldn't expect them too now.

Nintendo should, the day is still young tho.

ascii42

Mos def. That'd be depressingly low for BF. Or whoever wrote that article can't tell the difference between 100,000 and 1,000,000....which would still be ludicrous.

Well, all it says is it sold over 100,000, so technically it'd be true even if it sold much more than that.

I don't think MS won Black Friday. We would had heard it the moment the clock turned Saturday if they did.

As I said, not necessarily. If Microsoft had 100% up-to-the-minute data on PS4 sell-through information, why would they still wait for NPD when they declared themselves the winner last December?

I don't think they know definitively who won. They can make educated guesses with the small amount if data they do get...but that may not be enough for a PR release. It may be more prudent just to wait two weeks.

As I said, not necessarily. If Microsoft had 100% up-to-the-minute data on PS4 sell-through information, why would they still subscribe to NPD?

I don't think they know definitively who won. They can make educated guesses with the small amount if data they do get...but that may not be enough for a PR release. It may be more prudent just to wait until tomorrow.

FTFY (unless something changed from 2012)

Ty4on

I expect PR from Microsoft saying how well Xbox One sold, but if we don't get PR claiming they're the winner it's understandable and doesn't necessarily mean they've lost.

Does that mean they were probably far ahead when they made that statement before BF?

Miles X

I don't think MS won Black Friday. We would had heard it the moment the clock turned Saturday if they did.

*sigh* MS won 2010, 2011 and 2012 Black Friday, yet waited until Tuesday to release PR.

I don't know why they wait, but they do. If they havn't released PR by wednesday morning then it's time to speculate.

I think the PR has normally just been "look at how many systems we sold" rather than "we sold more than the other guy."

So if there isn't any PR from any of the three then I'd take it to mean that they didn't have at least one big number to crow about.

Miles X

I think the PR has normally just been "look at how many systems we sold" rather than "we sold more than the other guy."

So if there isn't any PR from any of the three then I'd take it to mean that they didn't have at least one big number to crow about.

Thing is, regardless of placings or units sold, they all seem to crow about their sales, even Sony was forthcoming when they never gave decent NPD PR. They would announce to the world they sold 530k PS3's, the day after MS announced they sold 960k (or however much those figures were).

There really seems to be no tactics with BF PR.

Elios83

I expect PR from Microsoft saying how well Xbox One sold, but if we don't get PR claiming they're the winner it's understandable and doesn't necessarily mean they've lost.

Consider how eager MS is to claim whatever pr victory they can I'm not so sure about that.
If they have won BF according to their internal tracking I expect a PR by the end of tomorrow.
If not they'll wait until NPD depending on how things went for the whole month.

Consider how eager MS is to claim whatever pr victory they can I'm not so sure about that.
If they have won BF according to their internal tracking I expect a PR by the end of tomorrow.
If not they'll wait until NPD depending on how things went for the whole month.

That doesn't make any sense. Microsoft only has immediate access to Xbox One sell-in to retailers.

Microsoft has to call up Wal-Mart, GameStop, Target, Toys 'R' Us, K-Mart, Best Buy, and Amazon to get a 90-95% estimate for Xbox One sell-through.

Those retailers may not want to give Microsoft PS4 sales information because it's none of their damn business.

So why is it so surprising that Microsoft may not know if they won Black Friday or not?

Now that makes sense.

Death2494

xbox wire said:
The past few weeks have been incredibly exciting, marked by a series of highly-anticipated game and bundle launches and the most affordable prices yet for Xbox One. We are humbled by the positive response to our new offerings and grateful for the support from our fans.

Yesterday, we celebrated the arrival of the iconic Halo franchise on Xbox One, as Halo: The Master Chief Collection launched to millions of excited fans and an impressive Metacritic score of 89. Sunset Overdrive was recently named by IGN as the “Game of the Month” for October. The new Xbox One bundles, which feature some of this holiday’s most anticipated games including Assassin’s Creed Unity, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, and Sunset Overdrive, hit store shelves with a limited time offer of $50 off any Xbox One of your choice. Starting as low as $349 in the US, the Xbox One is more affordable than ever this holiday season.

The response to this wave of blockbuster game releases and new bundles has been amazing, and sales have skyrocketed since the new price took effect on Nov. 2. Compared to the previous week, Xbox One sales in the US have more than tripled, which is exciting as more and more friends will be playing together this holiday. As we head into the busy holiday season Xbox One led generation 8 console sales in the US for the past two weeks. Shortly, we will have sold in to retailers more than 10 million Xbox One consoles.

Almost one year ago, I had the honor of shaking hands with hundreds of fans at our Xbox One launch in New York City. We have listened to your feedback and have worked hard to deliver hundreds of improvements to Xbox One, celebrated the launch of amazing new games, and sought ways to offer more value for you. As we reach this milestone, I remain awestruck by your passion for games and your support of Xbox One. Thank you for an incredible year.

Yusuf

Celebrating "Almost 10 million" and declaring victory after 10 days of tracking. Now this doesn't make any sense. We should hear something tomorrow though.

Mory Dunz

I'm seeing a fair number of posts with Wii U above 3DS. Am I missing something?

I know Smash released, but so did a Pokemon.
I feel the 3DS being below 400K would be really, really bad.

kyo2004

First time posting predictions... we'll see how it goes... xD

[XB1] 925K
[PS4] 1200K
[WIU] 580K
[3DS] 700K
[360] 180K
[PS3] 250K

As I said, not necessarily. If Microsoft had 100% up-to-the-minute data on PS4 sell-through information, why would they still wait for NPD when they declared themselves the winner last December?

I don't think they know definitively who won. They can make educated guesses with the small amount if data they do get...but that may not be enough for a PR release. It may be more prudent just to wait two weeks.

But they had field agents directly surveying the retail situation!

GhaleonEB

That doesn't make any sense. Microsoft only has immediate access to Xbox One sell-in to retailers.

Microsoft has to call up Wal-Mart, GameStop, Target, Toys 'R' Us, K-Mart, Best Buy, and Amazon to get a 90-95% estimate for Xbox One sell-through.

Those retailers may not want to give Microsoft PS4 sales information because it's none of their damn business.

So why is it so surprising that Microsoft may not know if they won Black Friday or not?

Now that makes sense.

Understanding all this...how do they do the PR about outselling the PS4 for two weeks after the price cut without insight into the competition? Genuinely asking.

As we head into the busy holiday season Xbox One led generation 8 console sales in the US for the past two weeks.

Understanding all this...how do they do the PR about outselling the PS4 for two weeks after the price cut without insight into the competition? Genuinely asking.

Well, it's a pretty logical conclusion...Microsoft just performed an aggressive price drop and that always shifts a bunch of inventory.

Microsoft could have persuaded a couple of retailers to tell them "Okay, Xbox One > PS4" and Microsoft could have extrapolated that out to the rest of the market.

Or, if they couldn't get any retailers to talk, it could have been based on consumer surveys from like...Nielsen with appropriate, representative samples.

I just don't think statements like that are based on any reliable, weekly information...Microsoft doesn't "internally track" PS4 sales and they may not have any PS4 data for Black Friday.

2thepoint

it will be interesting to see who talks first.

The victor will talk first, so Sony should go, or is it Microsoft? ;P

lP028eQ.gif

The victor will talk first, so Sony should go, or is it Microsoft? ;P

lP028eQ.gif

Haha I told you guys its impossible for me to know. BF is a crazy day to track due to inventory level differences and deals / specials differences. Black Friday is one day of the year that different retailers can see totally different results.

Can't wait for NPD though

*sigh* MS won 2010, 2011 and 2012 Black Friday, yet waited until Tuesday to release PR.

I don't know why they wait, but they do. If they havn't released PR by wednesday morning then it's time to speculate.
Cyber Monday, dude. BF's like one long-ass 4 day weekend now. It and Cyber Monday have become conjoined twins.

I assume if we got Microsoft PR on the 8th or 9th, NPD isn't going to be so rosy for them, so I am on pins and needles for their PR.

Top Bottom