• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November Wrasslin |OT| Ask Not The Jobber How John Cena Wins

Carnby

I'm with Carnby here. I've only seen a small bit, but what I've seen looks more like a TV show with wrestling as its subject than wrestling that happens to be a TV show.

Exactly! It's a telenovela about pro wrestling. It's not pro wrestling with elements of soap opera story telling.

Exactly! It's a telenovela about pro wrestling. It's not pro wrestling with elements of soap opera story telling.
You don't get to make up new rules about what is and isn't pro wrestling, like "it isn't pro wrestling if the crowd aren't X". There doesn't even need to be a crowd. You don't like it, and are trying to make your opinion sound more educated and factual but you're just making up bullshit.

JavyOO7

I'm only going to watch one Uso/Wyatts match. And probably only one or two Cesaro/Dolph matches.

Thank you for the list.

Usos are alright though they heavily rely on superkicks, especially with their match against the Wyatts in Battleground. I think that's their best match because it was given time due to being 2 out of 3 falls.

strobogo

Banned
People talk about how inauthentic and sterile WWE is, yet don't recognize those qualities in Lucha Underground for some reason. LU is as produced from top to bottom as any wrestling show could ever be. You don't produce those vignettes without being scripted to the letter and multiple takes. Lucha as a style in inherently overly choreographed. People that complain about how scripted WWE is while loving LU make no sense to me.

Punk working as generic 80s babyface is weird. I couldn't notice his giant MRSA bulge in either match.

He said on the podcast that his tights went across it, should have been night of the Royal Rumble when it was huge and purple as that's what he was talking about at the time.

When every match is more scripted than a Randy Savage match and it's taped in front of a bunch of plants, it's NOT pro wrestling.

What does an audience have to do with wrestling? Isn't the audience more for the entertainment side of things? Is it still pro wrestling if there isn't a crowd?

bjork

Raw is a TV show. Smackdown is a TV show.

You don't like the more artificial looking promos, that's fine, but the way the backstage stuff is shot doesn't magically make the show not wrestling.

Amazingly, I never said it wasn't. You guys are getting awfully defensive, or coming across as such. Deep breaths.

Like I don't get this argument at all really. The wcw ready to rumble movie I could see people not really calling wrestling because there isn't a single full match in the entire movie. But lucha underground has plenty of full matches, they're just filmed differently. Like its presentation is a lot fancier and it is trying to be more like a TV show, but...it's still wrasslin'.

Bold is all I was saying. Though idk about fancier, Raw's got that gigantic HD entrance abomination, that's pretty fancy.

People talk about how inauthentic and sterile WWE is, yet don't recognize those qualities in Lucha Underground for some reason. LU is as produced from top to bottom as any wrestling show could ever be. You don't produce those vignettes without being scripted to the letter and multiple takes. Lucha as a style in inherently overly choreographed. People that complain about how scripted WWE is while loving LU make no sense to me.
I don't disagree. But I don't complain about the WWE being overscripted. Name and shame Stro!

Carnby

You don't get to make up new rules about what is and isn't pro wrestling, like "it isn't pro wrestling if the crowd aren't X". There doesn't even need to be a crowd. You don't like it, and are trying to make your opinion sound more educated and factual but you're just making up bullshit.

"I can't stand that you have a different opinion!"

strobogo

Banned
I don't disagree. But I don't complain about the WWE being overscripted. Name and shame Stro!

It's just a general argument. Everyone complains about the highly scripted nature of WWE where no one is allowed to just go out and do whatever, yet a good chunk of people here seem to be into LU, which is every bit if not more scripted than WWE.

Amazingly, I never said it wasn't. You guys are getting awfully defensive, or coming across as such. Deep breaths.

Bold is all I was saying. Though idk about fancier, Raw's got that gigantic HD entrance abomination, that's pretty fancy.
I don't mind if people don't like it. I'm not sold yet. Watching episode 3 right now since I figured out I could watch it on xfinity.com... But arguing that it isn't wrestling is just stupid. And yeah, you didn't say that but you sided with the guy that did, and that's my only problem with his complaints.

bjork

I don't mind if people don't like it. I'm not sold yet. Watching episode 3 right now since I figured out I could watch it on xfinity.com... But arguing that it isn't wrestling is just stupid. And yeah, you didn't say that but you sided with the guy that did, and that's my only problem with his complaints.

No worries. Here, get a cold drink and give this a listen. Very soothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S93Ga2VT2s

tumblr_lvovjvneTp1r0d6q2o1_1280.jpg

Sephzilla

It's just a general argument. Everyone complains about the highly scripted nature of WWE where no one is allowed to just go out and do whatever, yet a good chunk of people here seem to be into LU, which is every bit if not more scripted than WWE.
The difference is that Lucha is still good

Carnby

Riiiight. I said anything like that. You are the one trying to argue that a wrestling show isn't wrestling because of standards you made up.

Naturally you hide behind "opinions" when I call you out for it.

You called me a troll in your first response. You totally can't stand different opinions.

JavyOO7

The beatdown of Luger in COTC 2 by the Horsemen was great. Like they actually took the time to make the beating look as authentic as possible. I love it, maggle!

I've don't really mind if something is super scripted or not. Just as long as it's good. LU is pretty cool from what I've seen, though that's only one episode and the writing was kind of awkward, but hopefully it's improved. WWE has its moments, but it has pretty bad writing most of the time for whatever reason.

Like, based on the first episode I'm more of a fan of the WWE matches, but I dig the promos and storyline LU has going on.

You called me a troll in your first response. You totally can't stand different opinions.
I called you a troll because you were trolling. I would treat someone criticizing a video game by saying "it's not even really a game" the same way. I'm sure you can handle it.

Carnby

I called you a troll because you were trolling. I would treat someone criticizing a video game by saying "it's not even really a game" the same way. I'm sure you can handle it.

I said i didn't like LU and i said why. That is not trolling. It just pisses you off for some reason.

I said i didn't like LU and i said why. That is not trolling. It just pisses you off for some reason.
You don't like it. I have no problem with that. Trying to say it isn't pro wrestling because of standards you pulled out of your ass is a trolling tactic. It's trying to make it be about something other than personal tastes.

Do you know another trolling tactic? Starting something as if it's a fact "it's not wrestling" and then pulling the "hey its just my opinion" schtick when your troll is successful.

Carnby

You don't like it. I have no problem with that. Trying to say it isn't pro wrestling because of standards you pulled out of your ass is a trolling tactic. It's trying to make it be about something other than personal tastes.

Do you know another trolling tactic? Starting something as if it's a fact "it's not wrestling" and then pulling the "hey its just my opinion" schtick when your troll is successful.

This isn't OT. We dont use 200 pages to endlessly agrue about something until we forget why we even started arguing. I'm done with this conversation.

Alucard

Banned

The problem with the E is how stale it feels, not that it's scripted. Also, the fact that booking is random at times. LU feels like it has energy and urgency, which are two things I often don't feel with the E.

Hasney

This isn't OT. We dont use 200 pages to endlessly agrue about something until we forget why we even started arguing. I'm done with this conversation.

Let's be fair though, there's differing opinions and then there's calling something not pro wrestling without saying why it isn't when it's a professional wrestling product. It's like those people who say a game isn't a game, it has no basis in reality.

Not liking something is fine, pulling things out your ass with no basis in reality is just weird.

bjork

Let's be fair though, there's differing opinions and then there's calling something not pro wrestling without saying why it isn't when it's a professional wrestling product. It's like those people who say a game isn't a game, it has no basis in reality.

Not liking something is fine, pulling things out your ass with no basis in reality is just weird.

To play devil's advocate here: if an episode of Baywatch had a full wrestling match in it, does that make it pro wrestling?

Carnby

Sure, I'll talk to you and give my opinion . It's not pro wrestling because:

1. Audience is 100 percent plants.
2. Each match has dozens of cuts and retakes.
3. It's filmed on a sound stage.
4. It doesn't even pretend to be real. It's as real as the Clerks Animated Series episode that was animated in front of a live studio audience.

4. It doesn't even pretend to be real. It's as real as the Clerks Animated Series episode that was animated in front of a live studio audience.

1. I can't find any other definition of what pro-wrestling is that talks about whether or not the audience are plants. Are empty arena matches not wrestling?

2. Are early Sin Cara matches on Smackdown not pro wrestling? And how do you know that every match has retakes? There's plenty of stuff I've seen in watching 3 and a half episodes that they *really* should have reshot but they didn't for some reason.

3. This one makes me laugh the most. Again, I've never seen any definition of pro wrestling that says it has to take place in a sporting venue. TNA for most of its existence was shot on an actual sound stage at a movie studio. I mean, TNA is terrible, but it's definitely wrestling.

4. How can you say it doesn't pretend to be real? Do the characters and commentators break kayfabe or something? Yes, it's using more conventions of the way scripted drama is shot, and yes, I know exactly what you're getting it. It doesn't put up as many pretexts for not being pre shot and scripted as say Smackdown does (although Smackdown is of course pre shot and scripted), and I get why someone might not like that, but the matches in the ring aren't shot that differently to any other televised wrestling product, and they are presented in almost the exact same style as any other product. it's literally just the way the inbetween match segments are shot.

The meaning of words aren't as open to opinion as the quality of a wrestling show is. It means something to say 'this is a pro wrestling show' or 'this isn't a pro wrestling show'. I could make up random meanings for words you use in all your posts and claim you're saying things you aren't even saying "in my opinion"... but I don't, because it would be goddamn stupid.

Carnby

1. I can't find any other definition of what pro-wrestling is that talks about whether or not the audience are plants. Are empty arena matches not wrestling?

2. Are early Sin Cara matches on Smackdown not pro wrestling? And how do you know that every match has retakes? There's plenty of stuff I've seen in watching 3 and a half episodes that they *really* should have reshot but they didn't for some reason.

3. This one makes me laugh the most. Again, I've never seen any definition of pro wrestling that says it has to take place in a sporting venue. TNA for most of its existence was shot on an actual sound stage at a movie studio. I mean, TNA is terrible, but it's definitely wrestling.

4. How can you say it doesn't pretend to be real? Do the characters and commentators break kayfabe or something? Yes, it's using more conventions of the way scripted drama is shot, and yes, I know exactly what you're getting it. It doesn't put up as many pretexts for not being pre shot and scripted as say Smackdown does (although Smackdown is of course pre shot and scripted), and I get why someone might not like that, but the matches in the ring aren't shot that differently to any other televised wrestling product, and they are presented in almost the exact same style as any other product. it's literally just the way the inbetween match segments are shot.

The meaning of words aren't as open to opinion as the quality of a wrestling show is. It means something to say 'this is a pro wrestling show' or 'this isn't a pro wrestling show'. I could make up random meanings for words you use in all your posts and claim you're saying things you aren't even saying "in my opinion"... but I don't, because it would be goddamn stupid.

I said i was done talking with you.

bjork

What're some must-watch CM Punk matches or promos that can be seen on WWE Network or youtube?

After this week, I'd probably give the promos from his HHH feud a watch, just to see the mannerisms and wonder when they were legit pissed, or if they were pissed the entire time.

Hasney

Fair enough. The complaints could also be levelled at WCW Saturday Night before Nitro existed and TNA while they were in Orlando as well. Do you consider those periods of each company not pro wrestling?

The way you phrased it though makes me wish Lucha Underground episode 2 was a best of show
Like Animated Clerks

Fox318

I got back into WWE in august and I just watched the entrances to Punk and Cena from MITB 2011.

Jesus the amount of heat Cena is getting.

Any other era/person would have had Cena go heel there.

Top Bottom