• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD December 2012 Sales Results [Up2: Xbox 360, All Nintendo Hardware, NSMB Wii U]

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Huh? Is this another nintendoomed 3rd party post?

No. I seriously think, though, that Nintendo's relationship with 3rd parties is so irreparably damaged that they'll willingly team up with another company next generation.

Darryl

Banned
It's interesting that people leap to blame at Iwata in this situation. I blame NOA (and NOE for the low numbers in Europe) for terrible marketing. I don't think Wii U and 3DS are as tough a sell as they are making them seem.

i blame them 100%. the marketing over here is embarrassing and an absolute joke. i'm sure whoever works there has the power to expand their localization efforts, they just don't do it. they want the bland iOS kiddie-shit image. the Wii U commercial they're airing is fine for young audiences, yet the place i've seen it most is on comedy central. it makes no sense.

It's interesting that people leap to blame at Iwata in this situation. I blame NOA (and NOE for the low numbers in Europe) for terrible marketing. I don't think Wii U and 3DS are as tough a sell as they are making them seem.
NCL has given NOA and NOE a product that the rest of the world doesn't seem to care for imo. I've believed for a while now that the Wii U's problem is not a matter of games or marketing. It is a matter of product appeal(hardware, online system and account flexibility), but I can't say I'm right for sure. I need to see price drops, new games and how it fares against it's fellow next gen consoles before I can say for sure.

my two cents

nickcv

so pretty much the Wii U is tracking really bad.

nintendo has to turn this around like they did with the 3DS, who finally managed to do some great numbers

AniHawk

Well. Vita strolls along to remind us that while Wii U sales may be bad, they're still a far cry from Vita-bad. Also that is the strength of CoD I guess--imagine the sales without it!

i guess people were right though. people did buy a vita just for call of duty.

big_z

I called the wii outselling wiiU and the very low numbers based on retail rumblings. Some called me an idiot for claiming such things but who has bitter tears now.

Nintendo needs to push the wiiu next to virtual boy and get a good next gen consoles hammered out ASAP. I really don't think the wiiu can be saved in the same way 3ds was.

evangd007

In perspective the Wii U is not THAT terrible. BUT not that great either.

At least it's doing (somewhat) better numbers in Japan

Everyone here is talking like it launched with a whimper like the Gamecube.

Nintendo needs to push the wiiu next to virtual boy

Like this kind of talk, nowhere grounded in reality.

fuck

PS3 was $599, far more supply constrained and didn't launch with Mario. How in the world did it outsell Wii U in its second month?

Sony was the dominant market leader of the previous generation. Everybody expected it to repeat and for all those big time Japanese exclusives to stay exclusive.

Nintendo really needs to take advantage of this small window of time before Sony and MS show off their systems this Spring.

Game Informer is reporting that both are planning to hold "Apple Styled" unveilings in March.

This was Nintendo's chance to be in the spotlight, and they delivered a half baked New Super Mario Bros game, Nintendoland (which doesn't show well), and the promise of a Pikmin game that was clearly a Wii game they delayed and moved over to the Wii U.

Then they launch with a bunch of bugs, lock ups, and a sluggish UI only to blame any negative feedback on "the quality and capability of the reviewer"

They needed to come out big and set the tone for the next generation. Instead they mailed it in, and are paying for it. They need to substantially change the course of the ship because right now it is heading right for an iceberg.

A press conference showing new games is needed ASAP. Show whatever you have in the oven, even if they are bullshots. Get 3D mario and Zelda up on that stage, then show us a game that actually highlights why the tablet controller is useful in a game.

Sony was the dominant market leader of the previous generation. Everybody expected it to repeat and for all those big time Japanese exclusives to stay exclusive.

Nintendo was the dominant market leader of the previous generation this time...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Nintendo really needs to take advantage of this small window of time before Sony and MS show off their systems this Spring.

Game Informer is reporting that both are planning to hold "Apple Styled" unveilings in March.

This was Nintendo's chance to be in the spotlight, and they delivered a half baked New Super Mario Bros game, Nintendoland (which doesn't show well), and the promise of a Pikmin game that was clearly a Wii game they delayed and moved over to the Wii U.

Then they launch with a bunch of bugs, lock ups, and a sluggish UI only to blame any negative feedback on "the quality and capability of the reviewer"

They needed to come out big and set the tone for the next generation. Instead they mailed it in, and are paying for it. They need to substantially change the course of the ship because right now it is heading right for an iceberg.

A press conference showing new games is needed ASAP. Show whatever you have in the oven, even if they are bullshots. Get 3D mario and Zelda up on that stage, then show us a game that actually highlights why the tablet controller is useful in a game.

Good summary (although it's a shame about Nintendoland because it is fantastic). I think it's clear Nintendo has somewhat lost touch with today's growing market.

460K Wii Us sold does not strike me as favorable, given that from at least what I can recall, the system was readily available in December. Nintendo does not appear to be having a smooth transition to Wii U here.

I'm a vita loving idiot and I didn't expect much over 100k. What did you all think it was gonna be? 100k is in line with its usual terrible sales. Needs a price drop in the worst fucking way.

~ZIO~

Neo Member
So Assassin's Creed and CoD, two major franchises in the west, couldn't do anything for the Vita. And then looking back on the east where Persona 4 Golden barely pushed it, nor did the Hatsune Miku, and you have a sad state of affairs.

Sony needs to do something with their Vita to change things around. But what, since they've done just about everything?

Striek

Vita is pretty fucking terrible. Handhelds are dying in the west, but that doesn't excuse its piss-poor performance. The fact it hasn't had a pricedrop yet is outrageous.

?

Gamecube sold more in its first November and its first December.

UberTag

I concur.
We're hearing far too much FIRE IWATA and not enough FIRE REGGIE.

Seeing Halo beat all these multiplatform games is impressive. Especially impressive beating AC3 which started getting TV ads almost a year before release. Halo is now easily the biggest exclusive game franchise in the US and Gears of War is probably second.

Microsoft should make a version of Halo 4 and Gears for Windows 8 tablets and Windows Phone 8.5. I'd really love a Halo Wars for tablets too. MS could easily charge $20 for Halo in the Windows Store and have ads in between free multiplayer matchmaking on Windows 8.

guek

Banned
To put it even more into perspective:

Xbox 360 US Launch (Nov+Dec): 607k
PS3 US Launch (Nov+Dec): 687k
Wii U US Launch (Nov+Dec): 890k

Wii U is not setting the world on fire but some of the reactions in this thread are way overblown.

You could even say Wii U is the best North American launch of a HD console in history.
Nintendo should hire me to do their PR.

Most posters on gaf are accustomed to immediate gratification in some form or another. Products are either resounding successes or absolute horrific bombs with nothing in between. It's hard to paint these Wii U numbers as anything other than disappointing but the reality, the truth that most people just don't care about on gaf, is that it takes a good long while for the complete picture to be made clear with products such as consoles or handhelds. This is an ignominious start but it doesn't necessarily mean wii u is dead like so many gaffers are wishing for. People selectively forget how this gen started and tend to be capable of only grasping the immediate.

Plinko

Nintendo playstation huh?

Wont happen

Desperate times calls for desperate measures, and if Microsoft's next console hits huge, both companies might be desperate.

My Vita prediction (280k) is going to cost me any chance at the #1 overall ranking for the yearly GAF prediction D:

Why did I believe that it would just do terribly instead of Vita-like...

test_account

XP-39C²
And I got laughed at for suggesting that the Vita could be quietly discontinued by this time next year....
Why would people laugh at the idea of Vita being canceled in December 2014? It is 2 years until that, much can happen (for better or worse).

EDIT: Superlate edit, but i knew you ment 2013, sorry :) Personally i think that it is unlikely that the Vita will be discontinued by the upcoming holday season though.

What? The Gamecube sold 1.2 million units in Nov/Dec of its launch year - with a direct competitor launching a few days earlier. The Wii U just did 885k with no competition launching. If the Gamecube's launch was a "whimper", then the Wii U's launch was a death rattle.

Top Bottom