• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD December 2012 Sales Results [Up2: Xbox 360, All Nintendo Hardware, NSMB Wii U]

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I really can't believe how badly the Vita is selling. If that statement is taken to mean that it sold under 250,000 units in December they might as well close up shop.

Well on GAF something is either amazing or terrible without a middle ground. 1 million units ltd in the US isnt THAT bad. But not a flying start either. Its not hard to find out why though:

(Defense force inc if you're 12)
- the console is 100 bucks more than a 360
- tablets are hot amongst kids now for games
- terrible marketing
- wii u is a terrible name
- no killer app game at launch
- no killer app game announced for near future
- huge launchpatch
- wiis are covered in dust in most households, why upgrade to wii u if you even realise wii u is the wii sucessor

... And so on. Lets hope Nintendo is extra motivated now. Start by firing your marketing and PR division and go from there.
Great post. I agree with all your points.

Darryl

Banned
They needed to come out big and set the tone for the next generation. Instead they mailed it in, and are paying for it. They need to substantially change the course of the ship because right now it is heading right for an iceberg.

A press conference showing new games is needed ASAP. Show whatever you have in the oven, even if they are bullshots. Get 3D mario and Zelda up on that stage, then show us a game that actually highlights why the tablet controller is useful in a game.

i disagree. i really struggle to believe Sony/MS is going to launch this winter with product that is anywhere near Nintendo's launch efforts, which has been received pretty bad. they need to let their competitors launch and market first, get the public actually interested in a new console, and then sell themselves as being the #1 option.

the xbox 360 was super, SUPER supply-constrained. the ps3 was supply-constrained in november and not so much in december. the wii u was the same as the ps3. the thing to note is that the wii u really dropped off week-to-week from november to december. it's going to have a very poor 2013, probably rivaling the ds's 2005 and the ps3's 2007. or worse.
I doubt it will have a worse first year than the PS3.

Though the first part of the year will look really similar. Depending on what the second half of the year release list looks like it could hold steady or do much better.

liger05

If there was no COD on Vita then amazingly it would of been much worse. That is just crazy. I dont know what sony can do? People are just not interested in the software.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Huh? Where is this from? I don't see anything in the OP.

It's cream. He's the source.
cream, we need numbers (please!) for Epic Mickey 2 / POI, Angry Birds, Scribblenauts, Paper Mario, Skylanders. ...Please!

What? The Gamecube sold 1.2 million units in Nov/Dec of its launch year - with a direct competitor launching a few days earlier. The Wii U just did 885k with no competition launching. If the Gamecube's launch was a "whimper", then the Wii U's launch was a death rattle.

EDIT: nvm dumb post

rouken

PS3's doing well for beating 360 WW with a 1 year late start.

even if its true i don't think its quite an accomplishment given 360's insignificance in the japanese market. i would applaud 360 for making it to 70 million with only dominating america and some parts of europe while the ps3, great as it was that it recovered quite well in its deathbed, attained that number because of europe and japanese sales mostly. which i think is because of playstation brand recognition.

Coolwhip

Banned
To put it even more into perspective:

Xbox 360 US Launch (Nov+Dec): 607k
PS3 US Launch (Nov+Dec): 687k
Wii U US Launch (Nov+Dec): 890k

Wii U is not setting the world on fire but some of the reactions in this thread are way overblown.

You could even say Wii U is the best North American launch of a HD console in history.
Nintendo should hire me to do their PR.

Wait, why is everyone panicing if Wii U outperformed both ps360 launches. And dont come with supply/theoretical sales please.

lol at vita versions beating WiiU versions. That's pretty much the only thing that surprised me. WiiU I guess was kind of low for a december of a new product.
I have played my Vita about 10x as much as i have played my 3ds
same, and I got my 3DS a long time ago and my vita 2 months ago :/

Wow dude you need to go recheck your figures. That's just not correct. At all. Go run that again.

Are you just in disbelief or do you *wink* *wink*

Wait, why is everyone panicing if Wii U outperformed both ps360 launches. And dont come with supply/theoretical sales please.

Because the PS3 launch was shit. Wii U is going to crash into the new year if it couldn't pick it's November sales up more than it did. So yes people are freaking out about hypotheticals.

i disagree. i really struggle to believe Sony/MS is going to launch this winter with product that is anywhere near Nintendo's launch efforts, which has been received pretty bad. they need to let their competitors launch and market first, get the public actually interested in a new console, and then sell themselves as being the #1 option.

Just to be clear, are you saying this because you think the Wii U launch effort was particularly good, or because you think the 360/PS3 suggests particularly poor launch efforts? Because if it's the former...

They will have substantial third party support. Watch Dogs and Destiny alone will generate more attention than Nintendoland and New Super Mario Bros 4 were able to.

The Vita is dead. Sony needs to discontinue it and move everything they've got towards PS4 development.

I'm sorry, Smoky. :(
Good summary (although it's a shame about Nintendoland because it is fantastic). I think it's clear Nintendo has somewhat lost touch with today's growing market.
They're too busy monitoring the accounts of nieces worldwide to bother with everyone else.

:'(

Thoraxes

Found it myself
Wii Dec 2006 - 604,200
PS3 Dec 2006 - 490,700
Wii U Dec 2012 - 460,000
360 Dec 2005 - 281,441

And here are PS2's numbers
PS2 October 2000 (Launch) - 391 245
PS2 November 2000 (second month) - 187 554
PS2 December 2000 (first December) -522 239

Oh. This puts things into perspective.

farnham

Banned
Desperate times calls for desperate measures, and if Microsoft's next console hits huge, both companies might be desperate.

This is more ridiculous than the wiiu is virtualboy remark. We are at the beginning of a new gen we dont know if wiiu will hit its stride, if ps4 will be a massive success or if ms will dominate all. Even if ms dominates and nintendo and sony sell sub 30 million respectively i dont see a sony/nintendo console anytime soon.

Especially if you consider how sony came into the hardware business in the first place.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Seeing Halo beat all these multiplatform games is impressive. Especially impressive beating AC3 which started getting TV ads almost a year before release. Halo is now easily the biggest exclusive game franchise in the US and Gears of War is probably second.

Microsoft should make a version of Halo 4 and Gears for Windows 8 tablets and Windows Phone 8.5. I'd really love a Halo Wars for tablets too. MS could easily charge $20 for Halo in the Windows Store and have ads in between free multiplayer matchmaking on Windows 8.

Halo Wars on a tablet would actually be pretty amazing. I like this idea.

Yes, that would explain the 5 million copies of Minecraft sold and the huge spike of copies sold on Christmas alone. Dudebros are renowned for their love of building.

Going by myself and my friends list, there is a huge amount of crossover between CoD and Minecraft.

Top Bottom