• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD December 2012 Sales Results [Up2: Xbox 360, All Nintendo Hardware, NSMB Wii U]

The joy some people get from something underperforming always puzzles me.
This is great news for all of us. It means desperate Nintendo. It's not like we are cheering over THQ's corpse here. Nintendo has the resources and money to do something about bad hardware sales and it is always a plus for consumers. Do you hate price drops, bundles, new software or patches? I would hope you don't.
Oh fuck Wii U. PS3 sold 490k in it's first Christmas.
Oh fuck Wii U.
oh fuck

3DS was down. Wii U a disaster. Gimme Vita numbers, but tell me they're good news. I want to see good Vita news. Vita deserves good news.

Coolwhip

Banned
I do suspect the next gen consoles might have a rough launch as well (of course, the supply might be so low that it isn't an issue)

Depends, the ps360 have a lot more people that buy cod and madden every year, those will all early adopt Im sure. Id expect a harsh drop off after that though.

antonz

They are very different situations.

No they aren't. Its the same way every console launch. The prior Gen when a successful device outsells the new gen initially.

Starting to get a lot of people borderline trolling for the sake of trolling

Drago

The sooner Wii and DS get killed, the faster consumer confusion stops and sales for 3DS and WiiU increase.

I hope they're gone by the end of this year. They're hindering Nintendo's current efforts saleswise. They may be making more money in the short term but it's going to hurt them in the long term, I think.

Fox Mulder

I thought I was lowballing when I guessed Wii U would do 550k in December. Pachter said it was going to be 750k. Utter flop for Nintendo considering there was nothing constrained about the Wii U(other than demand). Can one man be an ambassador twice? I hope I get a special hat.

it's only going to get worse until maybe E3 announcements sparks some interest again. I think Rayman and Aliens are the only games coming out until March.

Nintendo isn't doing the console any favors being so goddamn quiet about anything since launch. When the fuck is Lego City Undercover coming out? Wonderful 101? Wii Fit U? Any of the launch window games that still have no dates? Where the fuck is the VC, or any third parties excited to put games out on this?

ugh...

ffdgh

Congratz to you microsoft.

Alright 3ds onward to greatness. pokemon x and y should finally kill the ds.
WiiU.......good luck with that nintendo =/

sony.....uhh hope we get something....unless I missed something.

I'm really conflicted about Halo 4.

On one hand, it's Halo, so the gut instinct is to be happy that it's doing well.

On the other hand, if 343i takes sales figures instead of population numbers as a guiding principle, we're in for more shit multiplayer in Halo 5. :(

I have, however, no such conflict about seeing AC3 continue to succeed. So happy to see what started out as a ridiculously over-ambitious IP at the beginning of this generation continue to ascend to one of THE powerful brands in gaming. Havent enjoyed one of this generation's new IP's as much as AC. So good.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
No, surely there is pent up demand for the big boys after all this time?

I could absolutely be wrong, but I think a high launch price plus continued competition from PS360 could be real issues.

Sandfox

Depends, the ps360 have a lot more people that buy cod and madden every year, those will all early adopt Im sure. Id expect a harsh drop off after that though.

Why would a majority of them early adopt when they'll still be getting CoD and Madden on the PS3/360 for at least another two years?

Guevara

It's probably far too late, but I wonder if Sony and Microsoft adjusted their plans at all in light of the Wii U's launch. I don't think the Wii U is too expensive and the others will almost certainly cost more.

DSN2K

one positive for nintendo is the 3DS is very much alive and suceeding despite the ever changing mobile world....portable gaming consoles are still relevant!

~ZIO~

Neo Member
If Kaz isn't in trouble, I highly doubt Iwata is.

EDIT: Now I don't even feel like returning to ngg. They're gonna have a field day with Wii U news. *facepalm* It's gonna be vita all over again.

Kusagari

Wii U selling less than a $600 console that was released when its predecessor was far more popular than the Wii is currently is a fucking disaster.

Nobody can spin this. This is "somebody is getting fired" level bad.

Durante

Well, I don't find the 460K THAT bad, but it is cause for alarm.
What would have been THAT bad? December is usually far and away Nintendo's strongest month. And this isn't any December, it's the December right after launch.

If there ever was going to be demand for the system at its current price point, it was that December.

Alex

3DS sales are nice, although absolutely zero software on that thing seems to move outside of the Mario games in the west.

Coolwhip

Banned
This is great news for all of us. It means desperate Nintendo. It's not like we are cheering over THQ's corpse here. Nintendo has the resources and money to do something about bad hardware sales and it is always a plus for consumers. Do you hate price drops, bundles, new software or patches? I would hope you don't.

oh fuck

Well, did the low Gamecube sales do any good for the owners?

Orca

I'd hate to be the guys at Nintendo who have to come up with a list of 20 Wii games people would want for the Wii U Ambassador program.

omonimo

Banned
No they aren't. Its the same way every console launch. The prior Gen when a successful device outsells the new gen initially.

Starting to get a lot of people borderline trolling for the sake of trolling

Because wiiU cost 599 $. Yeah, same situation.

Top Bottom