• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD December 2012 Sales Results [Up2: Xbox 360, All Nintendo Hardware, NSMB Wii U]

farnham

Banned
You're welcome. I'm not actually happy. Well sorta, just because getting a laugh out of anything with the current direction of the videogame business is one of my favorite past times.

I like Nintendo, I grew up on Nintendo, the only system I even have is the 3DS. I just want to see them drop the fucking gimmicks and get back to old school kick ass Nintendo, just like Amir0x said.

I don't want to see how I can draw fucking platforms in Mario games, or play house with a bunch of big headed created stick figures, or see how many goofy pin the tail on the donkey mini game collections they can pack in one game. MAKE GAMES.

YAMAUICHI RISE FROM YOUR GRAAAVE
Yeah that oldschool nintendo sold nothing. A 22 million world wide disaster with gamecube 2 would have been the final console for them. Same with DS. If they didnt differentiate they might have lost to PSP.

Coolwhip

Banned
I wonder what this thread will be like when the Playstaion 4 and Xbox 3 also inevitably does sub-500k first month?

Then supply or something will probably be blamed. Tbh the 360 selling like hotcakes has a lot to do with the price, ps720 wont have that advantage.

Miles X

Wii did under 2 mill this year in US, down from 4.5m mill last year.

Given Wii is sinking (sunk?) in Japan, US more or less contributes to 50% of Wii sales. (ties in with them likely to ship around 4mill this year)

Meaning ... Wii would be lucky to ship 2 mill next year WW.

The thing is gonna be discontinued early 2014, would bet money on it.

AzaK

It's not just the price though
Exactly. No games of value and hardware not exciting enough for most people.

There is no Wii Sports type game to spread that kind of word of mouth.

And the upcoming schedule for the next SIX months is appalling

Makes me wonder if they should have held Mario Bros U back a bit. And used it as a potential booster

Fixed :) Seeing as Nintendo seem to not announce things until they are 6 months or less away we can assume they have very little as far as major system sellers coming down the pipe. Either first or third party.

Seems like you've outdone yourselves Nintendo! Your tactic of claiming to be about the core gamer and then having almost no third party games in the coming 6 months confused me at first, but I see your plan.
I don't know that will help at all.

He oversaw some of their largest losses of marketshare. And I'm not sure I want to see Yamauchi's answer to Nintendo profitability is. "Only ten games a year."

Yeah it'd be a disaster if he came back :) He'd probably just fortify the Japanese market even more and we'd get nothing.

~ZIO~

Neo Member
Didn't Nintendo, though, overall have a fine holiday, aside from this Wii U?

I want to see what nintendo does in the coming months with the Wii U, though. Future prospects don't look hot right now. They got the 3DS covered in gold for 2013, so I think they should (and probably are) relay focus onto the Wii U.

3DS was down. Wii U a disaster. Gimme Vita numbers, but tell me they're good news. I want to see good Vita news. Vita deserves good news.
I want to see an end to world hunger. Or, I can pile shit in one bucket and put wishes in the other and see which one fills up faster.

Awful WiiU numbers. Needs marketing and software. Jesus christ...

Good 3DS numbers at least!

Wiz

Also desperate Nintendo is best Nintendo. If they see these as bad numbers for Wii U they may announce something drastic.

iammeiam

WiiU needs sales badly. This is pretty disastrous, I the extent that I'm starting to worry Vita level sales could be a possibility if nothing big happens in the next couple of months in the the US.

UberTag

I could absolutely be wrong, but I think a high launch price plus continued competition from PS360 could be real issues.
This will be an issue for the PS4.
Microsoft has plans in place to ensure that the entry-level cost for an Xbox upgrade won't be daunting for credit card-loving, payment plan happy, COD-addicted America.

It's probably far too late, but I wonder if Sony and Microsoft adjusted their plans at all in light of the Wii U's launch. I don't think the Wii U is too expensive and the others will almost certainly cost more.
Cheapest Xbox-successor SKU will be as cheap or cheaper than the cheapest WiiU SKU was when next December rolls around. (Provided you sign up for a 2-year XBL payment plan.)

Arkam

How bad is 460,000? What would an "okay" number have been?

That is an OK number. Its selling not too far off from the Wii... which did very well incase you never knew. NeoGaf is just a bunch of haters right now that are still butt-hurt that Nintendo didnt give them the hardware beast they wanted. I swear world is a bunch of cynical armchair quarterbacks these days.

muu

Surprised 3DS sold as well as it did this year. Then again, I suppose they had massive sales in Dec.

I want to see what nintendo does in the coming months with the Wii U, though. Future prospects don't look hot right now. They got the 3DS covered in gold for 2013, so I think they should (and probably are) relay focus onto the Wii U.

I'm sure December was very, very, very profitable for Nintendo.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!

Wouldn't say they had a good holiday. Wii down massively, DS down and the second year 3DS also down.

AniHawk

my only prediction was that the wii u would sell more in december than it did in november. even though it was down week over week, i at least can fall back on that.

boy, everything sure is on a slide though. 3ds needs a price drop in hardware and software, and some pokemon too. the us in general is looking like it's overdue for next gen. microsoft would have done well to have something out this year, but they could have afforded the wait the most. 360 might do another million+ next christmas anyway, at a reduced price.

Wow at the 360 number. Why does it do so well? What is the thing priced at (I have no idea what it is these days)?

If the PS3 is actually 700k, then I think it may be time for a price cut soon. Or something.

The WiiU number just seems bad. I dont even know what to say. I hope Nintendo really brings it this year in terms of games. The WiiU is a system I want to actually like.

NSMBU and Nintendo Land not pushing consoles is really bad for Nintendo. Not sure WiiFit U is different enough to do it either. They seem to have lost touch with the casual market other than with Animal Crossing on 3DS.

Hakai

Wii U Numbers not looking good at all.

Nintendo needs to step up the game, but I have a feeling they are still in "Pushing the 3DS sales" mode.

I foresee rough days in the Wii U Ship!

If Kaz isn't in trouble, I highly doubt Iwata is.

EDIT: Now I don't even feel like returning to ngg. They're gonna have a field day with Wii U news. *facepalm* It's gonna be vita all over again.
Kaz just started less than a year ago.
Anyone else noticing that people aren't seeming to buy new hardware after they launch anymore? Started with 3DS, then Vita and now Wii U. What are the odds this happens with the next xbox and PS4?
All Japanese products. I wonder what would happen in the case of an American-centric company like Microsoft who has managed to propel themselves to No.1 in the US marketplace.

Note: Not saying that Japan is crap or anything, but they might not be in sync with what the USA market wants. Sony will probably fare better so long as they don't go 599 US DOLLARS on us again.

Guevara

I honestly think a $500 Xbox 720 that basically does what a 360 does but with better graphics would be selling better than the Wii U. It's what people want, especially if Microsoft can work to get the next CoD game ready for launch.

SmokyDave

That is an OK number. Its selling not too far off from the Wii... which did very well incase you never knew. NeoGaf is just a bunch of haters right now that are still butt-hurt that Nintendo didnt give them the hardware beast they wanted. I swear world is a bunch of cynical armchair quarterbacks these days.
This seems like a reasonable assessment. After all, who really expected it to outsell the Wii or the DS last month?

...ah man, I can't keep a straight face.

omonimo

Banned

uh?! What it has to do to be bad? 300K in december?

Eric C

So
Wii Dec 2006 - 604,200
PS3 Dec 2006 - 490,700
Wii U Dec 2012 - 460,000

What was the 360's first December like? And the PS2's?

Found it myself
Wii Dec 2006 - 604,200
PS3 Dec 2006 - 490,700
Wii U Dec 2012 - 460,000
360 Dec 2005 - 281,441

And here are PS2's numbers
PS2 October 2000 (Launch) - 391 245
PS2 November 2000 (second month) - 187 554
PS2 December 2000 (first December) -522 239

farnham

Banned

I think 3ds getting back on track is the most important thing for nintendo. Wiiu is just its launch. The launch might have been bad but its not like they will dreamcast it. Or so i hope?

Bsigg12

I don't know. 360 selling this many units in its eighth year might mean a slower-than-expected transition.

That's 8 years of holiday sales, and Microsoft is still killing it.

Nintendo off to a terrible start with the Wii U but 3DS sales are finally(!) catching stride.

Sony, nowhere to be found currently.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I always laughed at those posts but 3DS and Wii U are disastrous launches and they aren't going to get close to making their projections.

What's happening with Wii U will certainly put quite some pressure on Iwata, but I don't think he risks not being the President of Nintendo in the next future. Not at all. But yeah, pressure indeed.

test_account

XP-39C²
Amazing Xbox 360 numbers, especially concider the age of the system. Great 3DS numbers too, concidering the rough start. Pity about the WiiU, i hope for Nintendo's sake that it finds success overall at least.

GavinGT

Banned
Everyone keeps focusing on sales numbers.

If Nintendo posts a profit this fiscal year (which I'm confident they will), Iwata is as safe as the Seahawks winning on Sunday (We all know it's going to happen ;) )

Didn't Nintendo warn that a yearly profit was unlikely?

Top Bottom