• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD March 2012 Sales Results [Up3: ME3 Total, Binary Domain]

They were losing, quite dramatically back in 06 and 07, yes, which is why they've become much more reserved in recent years with respect to sales. But going forward, and for much of the past few years, they have not been 'losing'. Yet the sting of the early PS3 era still remains, it's why you never hear them say much of a word these days regarding sales.

Microsoft is much more giddy about every single post-NPD report, and granted they have done well, but even in months where their competitors have done great their statements make it appear as if the 360 did much better relative to their competitors than they actually ended up doing...merely because of their PR statements compared to the PR statements of their competitors.

PS3 is still around 12 million behind and will never catch up though.

wrowa

Relatively speaking, Vita is holding up better than the 3DS in its second month, I believe. That's okay.

However, neither of the handhelds are doing good, imo. Even the 3DS is just struggling along -- quite sad to see.

Neiteio

Someone explain to me this whole distinction about how Kid Icarus wasn't a chart topper but still sold well. I don't get the whole SKU caveat.

Kusagari

Too late. Someone already beat you.

I wasn't trying to say PSN sales will make Vita game sales look good lol.

But the only people picking up Vita's at this point are the hardcore, who I would say are far more likely to decide to go digital only with it.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Kid Icarus did basically the same in one week in NA and Japan (140k). Good stuff, and I hope it continues to sell well since it is an outstanding game.

Ah, you're right. I thought the price drop happened then too but all they started doing was bundling Kinect with some of their skus.

They basically increased the price when Kinect hit as the $100 extra on the bundles rose the ASP. That's why I think if Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo is able to bring something people really want with their next consoles, $400 pricing won't be an issue. They won't be selling a ton right off the bat but they should be able to do much better than the 360 and PS3 did out of the gate.

I'm betting a huge amount of Vita game sales in the US are digital, so sales figures for games aren't going to tell us much.
I think this might be the first time that the 'bu bu but low software sales for a system is due to digital sales' might actually be true.

Fanboy comment not directed at you, Kusagari.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Someone explain to me this whole distinction about how Kid Icarus wasn't a chart topper but still sold well. I don't get the whole SKU caveat.

Other games sold more because they are taking all the versions into consideration (360 and PS3, or even Wii) while Icarus is only on one platform.

I'm genuinely a bit shocked by that Vita hardware number; I had been certain it wouldn't sell much over 150K. Those are much better post-launch legs than Vita has shown in Japan, better legs than it's shown in Europe (well, if that France number is any indication), and significantly better legs (as a weekly percentage of launch sales) than 3DS showed in its first post-launch month.

Software number is a bit more down to earth... but did any of the launch titles sell over 50K in March? Over 100K?

SykoTech

Thread isn't quite as amusing since Vita didn't bomb. The first few pages are pretty funny now though.

Arguably the worst RE ever sells over 500k and Revelations barely registers. Time to ditch Nintendo w/ that series Capcom.

Heh, I don't think you'll have to tell Capcom that. They're already on it since they want those CoD numbers!

That too.
For example:
3DS first two NPDs = ~592k "OMG Bomba, Nintendo am doomed"
Vita first two NPDs = ~435k "Hey, it's not doing that bad!".

Basically, expectations were higher for the 3DS, despite the $250 starting price.
Expectations were lower for the Vita, because of the $250 starting price.

Expectations are based on previous systems. You are always judged to out perform your previous systems sales.

Kusagari

I really am impressed with the Vita sales. Not saying they're great, but relative to the, horrible, expectations it's held up pretty well.

Hopefully Sony really does have surprises waiting for E3 to keep the momentum rolling.

Exactly, this is Vita's first full month in the market, less than 100k would be like the biggest bomba of all time and then some.

Not realistic at all.

Well said. It's like the 10k threshold in MC sales. Can spin all you want, but people praising the Vita sales for being "not horrific" seems rather short-sighted. However, they still overperformed what I thought they would be.

Kazerei

Banned
Oh, rer ltd < eggplant boy first month.

Ouch, Revelaitons less than 135k LTD then

Edit: what an eggplant boy may look like

eggplanted.jpg

LuchaShaq

Banned
Xperia is a joke. I would get Vita Phone day 1 over any other phone. Not interested in regular Vita handheld.

If the vita had 16gb+ of internal storage and could even just take texts (I call people less than 10 times a month) I would have bought it instead of my iphone.

As of now? Zero interest.

Averon

After thinking about it a bit more, isn't that 3DS number a bit disappointing? Barely outselling the Vita while being at least $70 cheaper doesn't sound good at all.

Top Bottom