• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD March 2012 Sales Results [Up3: ME3 Total, Binary Domain]

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
After thinking about it a bit more, isn't that 3DS number a bit disappointing? Barely outselling the Vita while being at least $70 cheaper doesn't sound good at all.

It's like $100 cheaper when you take into account a memory card and a much stronger library (to most consumers) including a really big release that did well this month. It's not exactly stellar I'd say.

After thinking about it a bit more, isn't that 3DS number a bit disappointing? Barely outselling the Vita while being at least $70 cheaper doesn't sound good at all.

Depends on how one views it. Vita presumably has launch hype (lol). The sales could be frontloaded in the month and it's weekly sales may now be relatively low, like less than 20K a week at the end of the month.

The 3DS number is presumably stable weekly sales for the month or around 40K+ per week.

On the other hand considering the software support etc. the 3DS has and the price differential one might expect it to do better.

Unfortunately for Sony I don't think a MK port and Resistance spinoff will actually pull that off :p.

I will give MK the benefit of helping a bit since it seems to do alright while people shit on it (fernoca should know what i'm talking about being one of the few defenders :p). Resistance is eh tbh.

Kusagari

It's like $100 cheaper when you take into account a memory card and a much stronger library (to most consumers) including a really big release that did well this month. It's not exactly stellar I'd say.

Yeah, the 3DS really hasn't taken off to heaven like many expected. It's numbers are fine, but it still remains no DS.

neptunes

Yeah, the 3DS really hasn't taken off to heaven like many expected. It's numbers are fine, but it still remains no DS.

Nintendo hasn't unleashed the Pokemon juggernaut.

Then again, I don't think the 3DS will ever experience the same Brain Training / Nintendogs craze that really had the DS selling to the ultra casual crowd.

Like having software that appeals to people that wouldn't normally buy handhelds. It'll be harder this time, since there were no App store in place back then. Everyone of those casuals are probably content with gaming on smartphones now.

Dabanton

Do we ever get any VITA digital download numbers from Sony?

Nintendo hasn't unleashed the Pokemon juggernaut.

Then again, I don't think the 3DS will ever have the same Brain Training / Nintendogs craze that really appealed to the masses.

And mores the pity as those sort of games really pushed the DS to amazing heights. I doubt Nintendo will ever capture lightning in a bottle like that again.

Probably why they are trying to aim the WiiU at the 'core'

I thought the 3DS was tracking ahead of the DS?

Of course the DS really took off once with the DS Lite, Brain Age, and Nintendogs, so it will be interesting to see if the 3DS has something similar in store.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Wait- they aren't horrible, for sure- but why are they good?
Well I did say all things considered. :p

I believe expectations were at around 150k by most reasonable people (I was guessing around 170k). Greater then 200k shows stronger legs then imagined, and is a sign (IMO) that with a bundle or price drop, along with compelling software, that the Vita can in fact survive and not become a PSP in the later years of release in NA.

Obviously the next few months will be very telling, but these numbers (IMO) are more encouraging then the first 6-7 weeks the Vita had in Japan. Especially considering Japan is handheld central.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Do we ever get any VITA digital download numbers from Sony?

Nope. All we get is a top 10 for March but no numbers.

1) Escape Plan
2) Unit 13
3) Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack
4) Super Stardust Delta
5) Plants vs. Zombies
6) MLB 12 The Show
7) Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
8) Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
9) Rayman Origins
10) Hustle Kings

Not sure if this means the 50k game is Unit 13 or MLB but it pretty much has to be one of those two.

Kusagari

I thought the 3DS was tracking ahead of the DS?

Of course the DS really took off once with the DS Lite, Brain Age, and Nintendogs, so it will be interesting to see if the 3DS has something similar in store.

Well the DS had some absolutely terribad first months, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was tracking below 3DS still.

But 3DS has already pulled most of the big guns, besides Pokemon, out in Mario Kart and Mario and had a gigantic price drop.

Like I said, the numbers are fine, but who knows if Nintendo will ever get another Brain Age.

jman2050

As I said, it's all gonna depend on whether they can pull off another DS Lite boost. That was the real kicker as far as the DS explosion went.

Grymm

Banned
1st kudos to NBA2k12. The game is great and its continued success is well deserved. It really transcends genres from sports game to rpg to strategy game. Deserves a much bigger presence on GAF.

2nd grats to MS. Amazing system, amazing online, great value, their success is well earned. They are the console master race.

3rd lol @ Sony & Nintendo.

4th that is all.

RER is an absolute catastrophe IMO.

Are you still going off the first month sales or are there March sales for it somewhere in this thread also?

Edit: Just saw creamsugars post. Yea, that isn't great, but handheld games sell well over a period of time normally, we'll see where it ends up.

Pranay

1st kudos to NBA2k12. The game is great and its continued success is well deserved. It really transcends genres from sports game to rpg to strategy game. Deserves a much bigger presence on GAF.

2nd grats to MS. Amazing system, amazing online, great value, their success is well earned. They are the console master race.

4th that is all.

ehh

fernoca

RER barely had marketing ... where as Uprising had a marketing onslaught. Shocking.

There's that too..Capcom has been hyping Operation Raccoon City since last year (well, it was scheduled to be release last year too) or how in Europe they were advertising Resident Evil 6 during the release of Revelations.

Then again, they were the ones that revealed the PS2 port of RE4 close to the release of the "GameCube exclusive" version.

In the end, hope they take into consideration that Revelations was a quite great game, more than sales. Even if it means "port Revelations to everything". :p

I also wonder if Nintendo should just publish (or at least pay to advertise) all this "big games" on their consoles since usually third-parties don't that well at advertising.

I will give MK the benefit of helping a bit since it seems to do alright while people shit on it (fernoca should know what i'm talking about being one of the few defenders :p). Resistance is eh tbh.

:p
Hehehe..yep.
MK Unchained did quite well on PSP (was one of the top selling PSP in the US for a few months too) and MK games have so far sold great on Sony platforms.

Whether that translates to help the Vita, that I don't know.

So, over 700k powerful HD consoles sold this month vs 175k Wii. Bubu, the weakest console always wins...

Must say I'm a tiny bit skeptical of that PS3 number, cause it seems a little high, and we never know imo if MS means total market or consoles when they give a percent, even though they said consoles this time I still wonder a little. But I guess if none of the people who actually know the NPD objected it's probably good.

Anyways, good PS3 sales, poor 3DS sales.

Anybody have life to date? I like keeping up with the 360 vs Wii race. I think there's an outside chance 360 can overtake Wii this year.

Seems like America is a little more accepting of the high powered Vita proposition than Japan. Still, no gaming handheld is really tearing it up except 3DS in Japan.

Hopefully the handheld games have legs, I'm worried about that market right now.

Assuming RE:R first month was around 95k and its LTD is around 130k... then maybe a -60% dropoff from last month? Thats not so bad right?

=(

frostbyte

Like I said, the numbers are fine, but who knows if Nintendo will ever get another Brain Age.

You guys think the upcoming Demon Training Brain Age thing will even replicate half as much of the sales of the original Brain Age?

Doubt it and who knows if Nintendo is even going to bring it over.

RER is an absolute catastrophe IMO.

Indeed, extremely disappointing sales. Probably due to Capcpom doing more RE6 ads than Revelaiton ads when it launched...

Elios83

Good PS3 sales, Vita still hasn't passed the half million mark with over a month on the market but at least it's selling close with the 3DS, something which I guess will sound unconceivable for a few here :p

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
So, over 700k powerful HD consoles sold this month vs 175k Wii. Bubu, the weakest console always wins...

Must say I'm a tiny bit skeptical of that PS3 number, cause it seems a little high, and we never know imo if MS means total market or consoles when they give a percent, even though they said consoles this time I still wonder a little. But I guess if none of the people who actually know the NPD objected it's probably good.

Anyways, good PS3 sales, poor 3DS sales.

Anybody have life to date? I like keeping up with the 360 vs Wii race. I think there's an outside chance 360 can overtake Wii this year.

Seems like America is a little more accepting of the high powered Vita proposition than Japan. Still, no gaming handheld is really tearing it up except 3DS in Japan.
..... Ummm, the Wii IS winning. You so quickly forget how dominating it was a few years ago.

4th that is all.
Someone's tossing the dice with their junior Gaf account.

Diablos54

lol, living up to your name as always! :)

Top Bottom