• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD March 2012 Sales Results [Up3: ME3 Total, Binary Domain]

Haunted

It's better than bad, it's good!
IHD45.jpg

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
There are some fun posts about legs on handheld games in the last thread, lol

omg LOG!

Looked at the numbers...

The hardware sales look kinda meh. I'm amazed that ORC sold that well and SSX charting again makes me happy(I want to see a better SSX game down the road). Those SFxT sales are absolutely terrible. They had a full month to chart and Capcom only managed sell more than 230k copies. I think they actually are killing their fighters slowly with this stuff now. It's sad because SFxT did some stuff right(rollback, new team dynamics, more modes and DLC prices for characters are solid). I can't see SFxT selling much more than 1 million copies without some severe stuffing. Darkstalkers is probably not happening now if they were talking about it.
And, if you've noticed the trend, each game has sold less and less. SF4 sold the best. Then MvC3 sold less. And, then each revision (SSF4 and UMvC3) sold even less.

With 5 or 6 fighting game releases in 3 years, why would SFxT suddenly jump back up and start selling more than even vanilla SF4 could? SF4 was released in a SF drought. SFxT was released in a SF flood. 2 Million in 3 weeks makes no sense.
MvC3 was like 50k less than Vanilla SFIV at launch iirc and it was handicapped by barebones/barely functioning online with no spectator mode. Capcom had not pissed off people until UMvC3 and I guess SFxT was the last straw.
Because 2 million in a month happened for both MVC3 and SFIV, SFXTK is a drastic drop. It wasn't going to sell more, but it shouldn't have dropped like that. Thankfully it did.
Two million did not happen for any of the games in one month as far as I know. These numbers are not good though. I'm certainly not jumping up and down about it. I've got other games to worry about and play so Capcom can just cater to their audience if it works for them.
Yep.

Wrong platform or just a bad idea in the first place?
I like to think that this game would have been a very nice seller on the Wii U or an HD console.

botty

Banned
There's that too..Capcom has been hyping Operation Raccoon City since last year (well, it was scheduled to be release last year too) or how in Europe they were advertising Resident Evil 6 during the release of Revelations.

Then again, they were the ones that revealed the PS2 port of RE4 close to the release of the "GameCube exclusive" version.

In the end, hope they take into consideration that Revelations was a quite great game, more than sales. Even if it means "port Revelations to everything". :p

I also wonder if Nintendo should just publish (or at least pay to advertise) all this "big games" on their consoles since usually third-parties don't that well at advertising.

I hope if Nintendo markets Monster Hunter they aren't like: "Hey here's this amazing Monster Hunter game for 3ds.
Ok now focus your attention to this Mario game.
"

So, over 700k powerful HD consoles sold this month vs 175k Wii. Bubu, the weakest console always wins...

...After years of outselling both PS3 and X360 and basically dropping all Wii support to start work on Wii U. And making more of a profit than both. The weakest console did win. If the numbers had looked like this two years ago when this would actually be relevant Nintendo might have something to be concerned about.

Anyhow, good on Vita for actually having somewhat decent numbers. It's honestly a lot better than I thought it would be (in US at least, it's an absolute slaughterhouse in Japan).

Y2Kev

Isn't the 2 million expectation global? It has all three regions listed. Unless I'm misreading it.

2 million across 2 platforms across 3 regions isn't really that outrageous.

Provided I'm reading it right.

..... Ummm, the Wii IS winning. You so quickly forget how dominating it was a few years ago.

Well that's "won" not "is winning" current tense. Clearly the Wii had a legs problem.

Anyways, it gets back to my position that PS3 and 360 are essentially the same console with different branding, which I was widely ridiculed for, wrongly :)

I would say the same if there were two low power consoles and lump them in together.

Diablos54

Well that's "won" not "is winning" current tense. Clearly the Wii had a legs problem.

Anyways, it gets back to my position that PS3 and 360 are essentially the same console with different branding, which I was widely ridiculed for, wrongly :)

I would say the same if there were two low power consoles and lump them in together.
You can't be winning if you've already lost...

And the PS3/360 are not the same console just because they're both HD systems, that's just stupid.

DR2K

Banned
Two million did not happen for any of the games in one month as far as I know. These numbers are not good though. I'm certainly not jumping up and down about it. I've got other games to worry about and play so they can just cater to their audience if it works out for them.

World wide, pretty damn close.

Pranay

Isn't the 2 million expectation global? It has all three regions listed. Unless I'm misreading it.

I think thats the case

ZenaxPure

I wonder if EA considers ME3 a success or not, I mean those numbers would be stellar for most games but it always seemed like they were shooting for more from the marketing and crap. Would be interesting to see a response to it.

JaxJag

Banned
You know, while Raccoon City wasn't as awful as the reviews claimed. It in no way deserves to sell that well, it just shows that reviews matter very little in the overall scheme of things.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

That doesn't make a lick of sense. Just because the ball-game was once 42-14 and now the 360 has caught up to make it 49-35 doesn't change the fact that the Wii is. Still. WINNING.

BKK

It bombed in Europe though.

Dalthien

Yeah, the 2M is expected global sales by the end of March. For Raccoon City that means NA+Europe (game isn't released in Japan yet), and for SFxT it means all 3 regions (but it sold less than 100k in Japan).

Y2Kev

It bombed in Europe though.

Oh, sure, fine. I think Capcom is a garbage company and should go out of business. But I'm not talking about any specific game, just how to read their expectations. These are global shipped numbers. Many games ship multiple million on like day 1. Someone upthread said that 2 million in 3 weeks is unrealistic. I beg to differ.

JaxJag

Banned
That doesn't make a lick of sense. Just because the ball-game was once 42-14 and now the 360 has caught up to make it 49-35 doesn't change the fact that the Wii is. Still. WINNING.

Nintendo might be winning in the sales department, but how about the gamers?

I wonder how many Wii only owners are happy with the Wii right now. I have to question whether the support they've given the console over the past year and a half might actually hurt their brand.

They basically said "Well folks, that's it, time to move onto a new console, our fans can wait 2 years for us to show more support for another console".

Yep.

Wrong platform or just a bad idea in the first place?
First real attempt at a serious handheld RE game or a game similar to it, so the audience/install base wasn't really on the platform to start with, combined with releasing a multiplatform console entry, where the series has been getting its sales from so far, within only slightly more than a month period, combined with giving the former handheld game practically no advertising whatsoever in favor of advertising the console game (and even in favor of an entry in the series not coming until later in the year as well for some reason), giving people practically no knowledge that Revelations even exists and even if they did find out, little reason not to just wait the month for Operation Raccoon City and thus hurting the ability of Revelations to even begin building a handheld RE base at all sounds like a pretty surefire recipe for disaster, and sure enough.... Basically, Capcom just never even gave it so much as a chance to begin with--sent to die.

BKK

Oh, sure, fine. I think Capcom is a garbage company and should go out of business. But I'm not talking about any specific game, just how to read their expectations. These are global shipped numbers. Many games ship multiple million on like day 1. Someone upthread said that 2 million in 3 weeks is unrealistic. I beg to differ.

Yeah, the forecast was worldwide.

Dalthien

I feel it's worth noting Capcom somehow shipped like 1.6 million of LP2.

Yeah, but when they give their expectations, they're expecting to actually sell that number at full price - not to have to refund a huge chunk of it back to retailers a couple months later for price protection. :)

Oh, if the 2 million expectation meant 2 million SHIPPED, not sold, then I take it back.

Reading the PDF, I can't tell. They probably meant shipped.

So, over 700k powerful HD consoles sold this month vs 175k Wii. Bubu, the weakest console always wins...

Must say I'm a tiny bit skeptical of that PS3 number, cause it seems a little high, and we never know imo if MS means total market or consoles when they give a percent, even though they said consoles this time I still wonder a little. But I guess if none of the people who actually know the NPD objected it's probably good.

The PS3 number is in line with last month's Y/Y drop.

Also your alternative is impossible; if you're implying the 360 could take 42% of all hardware units.

Boney

Banned
Remember when Iwata was all, yeah Japan is getting tons of awesome shit for holiday 2011 and 3DS will explode and when asked about the west being all software starved he'd go all, well.. there's mario and mario kart and only those two are gonna push the 3DS until holiday 2012

power of mario bitches

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well that is pretty cool then. With all the hype it seemed like people were expecting some CoD numbers or something, glad to see it worked out for them I guess.

I feel it's actually an interesting trend in marketing.

To help really sell your games, you have to treat them like the biggest deal ever.

Top Bottom