• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2010

Barrett2

MidnightScott said:
Also, if they want to make sure all of the copies of a game are sold new, they would ban used game sales and rentals(like in Japan).

Thank god for American property laws. Banning sales of used games is insane, IMO.

seady

I disagree with people saying Monster Hunter have limited appeal.

I think the reason why past games have failed to sell in NA is because there were almost no advertisings and no one is aware of it. It wasn't until very recently that it becomes soooo popular in Japan that people here can't help but notice the series' strength.

This kind of online multiplayer games always have massive potential to explode into something huge, especially in North America, Korea and China. Hopefully with time it can grow bigger and bigger.

JaxJag

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
Monster Hunter Tri is such an absurdly dumb name I'm shocked people are surprised it sold poorly. Should have stuck with just the 3. Or done a NA reboot.

I remember in the Capcom financial forcast thread I said the game wasn't going to do well. Then a bunch of posters responded with "This is the Wii, not the PSP".

Owzers

Another month of making excuses for Wii games, YAY!!!!!!! Even when games are practically the only new release for the month they still can't sell well.

PSP is dead. I'm kind of glad. Now put Peace Walker up on PSN Konami so i can play it on my PS3.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
selig said:
Ha, totally forgot about the demo. You people sure that demo didnt work AGAINST the game? :lol

Yeah. I could see people deciding not to buy the game if they tried the demo without any idea of what the series is.

Playstation family according to NPD's reported numbers sold under 250K units of hardware. Wow.

PS3=180.8K
PSP=65.5K
PS2=Unreported
Total= 246.3K

OUCH

Even with PS2 numbers the total wouldn't go over 300K. PSP always outsells PS2. That's under 100K this month average for all of Sony's hardware. Yikes. SELL SELL SELL BEAR ALERT

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
WII
2rxta8n.jpg

DS
5l2jnk.jpg

XBOX
28wme7d.jpg

PS3
33e1kpe.jpg

PSP
2njyc1u.jpg

RE: Monster Hunter

Don't call it dead before it's dead. This is the Wii audience we're talking about. Games are not front-loaded. Even Wii Sports Resort, which has sales in the millions now, only debuted with, IIRC, 250k in its first month. Wii owners just don't run out and get in line on Day 1. There's no hive mind, no dashboard ads or friends lists telling them to keep up with the crowd. You have to give it time.

On the other hand, the Wii audience has been diligently trained over the last 3 years not to buy anything that doesn't have "Mario" or "Wii" in the title, so this may be too little, too late.

Hiltz

The MH Tri demo originally disappointed me. However, after spending more time with it I end up loving the taste of what it had to offer.

The Monster Hunter Tri tv ads are still showing. Saw one of them yesterday.

CartridgeBlower said:
People here continually say the x360 SFIV community is larger, yet SFIV sells more on the ps3 AGAIN...strange...
well not to like totally pwn you but.. the 360 vanilla did outsell the ps3 as of last months npd.. :\

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
JaxJag said:
I remember in the Capcom financial forcast thread I said the game wasn't going to do well. Then a bunch of posters responded with "This is the Wii, not the PSP".

Jesus. For all we know it did substantially better. WE CAN'T TELL YET.

SSFIV is a disappointing but not surprising (Only for the more hardcore SF players). But it was cheap to make and will do ok WW numbers.

Nice GoW3 legs. Love that fucking game! :D

EmCeeGramr said:
Holy shit. Sixty-six thousand? That's like, nearly a hundred thousands. And there are like a million people in the world, right?

My God. Sixty-six thousand. I... I can't fucking believe it. The reign of the PSP. It will never end, will it? Once you've reached such heights... the public demand is practically boiling over with frothing desire.

thats like less than 1 per store that carries them most likely :lol

Kusagari

If Tri's in the top 20 then I'll count it as a success. Though judging by the rage at it not being in the top 20, this thread might get epic if it's not even in the top 20.

lawblob said:
Thank god for American property laws. Banning sales of used games is insane, IMO.

Actually I pulled that out of my ass about used game sales. I don't think that is against the law. But I know renting is...:D

Crisis

Banned
Leondexter said:
RE: Monster Hunter

Don't call it dead before it's dead. This is the Wii audience we're talking about. Games are not front-loaded. Even Wii Sports Resort, which has sales in the millions now, only debuted with, IIRC, 250k in its first month. Wii owners just don't run out and get in line on Day 1. There's no hive mind, no dashboard ads or friends lists telling them to keep up with the crowd. You have to give it time.

On the other hand, the Wii audience has been diligently trained over the last 3 years not to buy anything that doesn't have "Mario" or "Wii" in the title, so this may be too little, too late.

It was dead long before it came out here.

ccbfan said:
3. Bundled with the new classic controller pro.
Not to sound like I'm making excuses, but this seems like it had an incredibly limited run. After the launch date, I have yet to find a single unit of this bundle on local store shelves. Even GameStop took the bundle off of their web site listings, and the only way to get it on Amazon is to pay an inflated price at the marketplace. I haven't seen this kind of trend since the MGS3: Subsistence Limited Edition.

Barrett2

MidnightScott said:
Actually I pulled that out of my ass about used game sales. I don't think that is against the law. But I know renting is...:D

If Nintendo had their way, it would be illegal. Nintendo tried to get game rentals, at least, banned, back in their Hoffa-esque racketeering days of the 80s.

This month was just one huge bomb for everything not named "Nintendo DS".

donny2112 said:
PSP 65.5K

Holy shit! PSP2 at E3
further
confirmed.

Draft said:
The console industry is dying :)

Good.

lawblob said:
If Nintendo had their way, it would be illegal. Nintendo tried to get game rentals, at least, banned, back in their Hoffa-esque racketeering days of the 80s.

Yes because Nintendo corporate nearly 25 years ago equals Nintendo corporate of today. Seriously Nintendo thinks banning the used game market is bullshit, let alone renting.

Crisis said:
1. You're not PhoenixDark.
2. With 5K difference between PS3/360 it would have been funnier if you used the same picture for them.

A runner that gets last place by .0001 seconds is still in last place. PS3 wins that honor this month and thus deserves the loser photo

schuelma said:
Yeah. I could see people deciding not to buy the game if they tried the demo without any idea of what the series is.

I tried the demo, and it's awful. I've bought most of the Wii's Great Hope for Hardcore Success line of games (HotD: Overkill, Madworld, Red Steel 2, Muramasa, No More Heroes, Silent Hill, etc, etc), but I'm not touching Monster Hunter. I wish it success, but it's not for me.

TurtleSnatcher said:
well not to like totally pwn you but.. the 360 vanilla did outsell the ps3 as of last months npd.. :\

Don't worry, you didn't. In both debut months, the PS3 has sold more, this time by almost 33%. Take it for what you will as to what that means about where people are going to play their SF. Guess we'll have to wait and see what kind of legs SSFIV has...

Zero-Crescent said:
Not to sound like I'm making excuses, but this seems like it had an incredibly limited run. After the launch date, I have yet to find a single unit of this bundle on local store shelves. Even GameStop took the bundle off of their web site listings, and the only way to get it on Amazon is to pay an inflated price at the marketplace. I haven't seen this kind of trend since the MGS3: Subsistence Limited Edition.

In Canada, the EB I went to at launch said it was only out for the first shipment and then poof. But I saw a few at various stores over the last week or so.

Leondexter said:
I tried the demo, and it's awful. I've bought most of the Wii's Great Hope for Hardcore Success line of games (HotD: Overkill, Madworld, Red Steel 2, Muramasa, No More Heroes, Silent Hill, etc, etc), but I'm not touching Monster Hunter. I wish it success, but it's not for me.

The demo, from what I've seen, is a terrible way to explain the game.

It throws you into a hunt against a boss monster with a pre-made character, which is like tossing a kid into the deep end of the pool and telling them to do a 50m butterfly.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
selig said:
To the people condemning the Wii-audience because of MH3:

It simply isn´t a mainstream game. Simple as that. Even from seasoned gamers that bought MH3, I hear a lot complaints about the slow, difficult beginning of the game. Let alone what comes later in the game.

Should MH3 sell worse than the PS2-games, it´ll be disappointing. Anything else is your usual Gaf-hyperbole. MH3 isnt your typical 10 hour-HD game with lots of cinematics. It´s a, and here the name fits, hardcore game.

selig said:
wow, this thread got shat up hard by FF13-avatars. MH3 is selling fine, no need to spin it either way.
selig said:
[WII Monster Hunter Tri] 280k

Not as optimistic as the other guy above, but I still hope for higher sales for MH3 than most of the people in here. It simply deserves it.
Well you're consistent

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Leondexter said:
has wii had a major entry in a high profile 3rd party series before mh3? i can't think of one

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
It's pretty shocking that Tri, with all it's advertising, couldn't crack the Top 10. At least the Japanese sales will help Capcom pick up the slack.

A sad state of affairs for third party devs on the Wii. =/

h3ro said:
Why should it have been DLC? You would have bought a $40 DLC but not a $40 disc? I'm not seeing a difference between the two.

Probably the best fighting game released in the last 10 years and it was made of up pretty much all community feedback and is one of the most balanced games available. Solid numbers for only a few days of sales.

Also, it didn't sell like shit, so stop being glad.

A) Wouldn't have been $40US for the DLC.

B) In AU, SSF4 came out at the same price as the original. Give or take $10.

I adore Street Fighter like no other, but even I couldn't bring myself to buy only a year later.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
I thought I was able to get FFXIII for $30 because KMart was crazy. Did the game just take a complete nose dive in a matter of a month?

Zen

Banned
perfectchaos007 said:
Playstation family according to NPD's reported numbers sold under 250K units of hardware. Wow.

PS3=180.8K
PSP=65.5K
PS2=Unreported
Total= 246.3K

OUCH

Even with PS2 numbers the total wouldn't go over 300K. PSP always outsells PS2. That's under 100K this month average for all of Sony's hardware. Yikes. SELL SELL SELL BEAR ALERT

They aren't including PS2 numbers, and I wouldn't be surprised if the PS2 pushed them above 300k. Keep in mind one of those two pieces of hardware is like 10 years old. I'm not sure why you're playing chicken little. The only hardware piece that's a real downer is the PSP, and Sony let that thing go without a price drop for the last 3 years.

Barrett2

Flying_Phoenix said:
Yes because Nintendo corporate nearly 25 years ago equals Nintendo corporate of today. Seriously Nintendo thinks banning the used game market is bullshit, let alone renting.

You're absolutely right. They're now the super-progressive company that forces you to re-purchase downloaded games if your system breaks and you buy a new one. That's only racketeering in like... five states.

MemoirsofMimi

Neo Member
According to the independent NPD Group, Nintendo’s Wii™ system and Nintendo DS™ family of systems outsold all other gaming hardware in the United States during the month of April. Even before the announcement of the new Wii hardware package, U.S. sales of the Wii console topped 277,000 for the month. Meanwhile, the Nintendo DS family of hand-held systems sold more than 440,000 units nationwide. Together, Nintendo video game system sales represented 60 percent of all hardware sold in the United States in April.

“Consumers recognize the unprecedented combination of value and fun offered by Nintendo game systems,” said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “But including even more hardware and software with every Wii system should drive consumer interest even higher.”

New additions to the basic Wii package in North America went on sale May 9. In addition to a Wii console, one Wii Remote™ controller, one Nunchuk™ controller and a copy of the Wii Sports™ game, each system now comes bundled with a copy of Wii Sports Resort™ and a Wii MotionPlus™ accessory. Consumers can also choose between two hardware color schemes: white or black. The suggested retail price of the system remains unchanged at $199.99.

Six of the top 10 best-selling games of April play on Nintendo systems. These include Pokémon™ SoulSilver Version at No. 2 with nearly 243,000 sold, New Super Mario Bros.™ Wii at No. 3 with more than 200,000 sold, Pokémon HeartGold Version at No. 4 with more than 192,000 sold, Wii Sports Resort™ with Wii MotionPlus at No. 5 with more than 179,000 sold, Just Dance by Ubisoft at No. 8 with more than 144,000 sold and Wii Fit™ Plus with the Wii Balance Board™ accessory at No. 10 with more than 130,000 sold.

JaxJag said:
Lots of games are going to bomb though, thinking Split/second, Blur, and Lost Planet 2 will be the biggest bombs.
Split/Second & Blur are going to cannibalize one another. This is already a foregone conclusion.

schennmu said:
SSFIV is a disappointing but not surprising (Only for the more hardcore SF players). But it was cheap to make and will do ok WW numbers.

Nice GoW3 legs. Love that fucking game! :D

SSF4 didnt even get a full weeks worth of sales.. how is that disappointing for popping in the top 10 like that.. especially on a game that obviously everyone knew wouldn't sell as well as the first..

lawblob said:
You're absolutely right. They're now the super-progressive company that forces you to re-purchase downloaded games if your system breaks and you buy a new one. That's only racketeering in like... five states.

What does that even remotely have to do with renting games?

Top Bottom