• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2010

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
MemoirsofMimi said:
According to the independent NPD Group, Nintendo’s Wii™ system and Nintendo DS™ family of systems outsold all other gaming hardware in the United States during the month of April. Even before the announcement of the new Wii hardware package, U.S. sales of the Wii console topped 277,000 for the month. Meanwhile, the Nintendo DS family of hand-held systems sold more than 440,000 units nationwide. Together, Nintendo video game system sales represented 60 percent of all hardware sold in the United States in April.

“Consumers recognize the unprecedented combination of value and fun offered by Nintendo game systems,” said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “But including even more hardware and software with every Wii system should drive consumer interest even higher.”

New additions to the basic Wii package in North America went on sale May 9. In addition to a Wii console, one Wii Remote™ controller, one Nunchuk™ controller and a copy of the Wii Sports™ game, each system now comes bundled with a copy of Wii Sports Resort™ and a Wii MotionPlus™ accessory. Consumers can also choose between two hardware color schemes: white or black. The suggested retail price of the system remains unchanged at $199.99.

Six of the top 10 best-selling games of April play on Nintendo systems. These include Pokémon™ SoulSilver Version at No. 2 with nearly 243,000 sold, New Super Mario Bros.™ Wii at No. 3 with more than 200,000 sold, Pokémon HeartGold Version at No. 4 with more than 192,000 sold, Wii Sports Resort™ with Wii MotionPlus at No. 5 with more than 179,000 sold, Just Dance by Ubisoft at No. 8 with more than 144,000 sold and Wii Fit™ Plus with the Wii Balance Board™ accessory at No. 10 with more than 130,000 sold.

Hmm...maybe Tri did do as bad as everyone is saying. If it broke 100K I would think they would have included it.

FrankT

A little IGN memoir. Also NDS to take over the world come October-Dec.

PlayStation 2 De-listed From NPD
Our world is spinning out of control.

by Ryan Geddes

It was bound to happen eventually. This month the NPD Group, which tracks sales of videogame hardware and software, officially removed the PlayStation 2 from its charts. After a 10-year run, Sony's system has finally slowed down, apparently eclipsed by its younger, sleeker sibling.

From now on, if you're wondering how many PS2 systems have sold in a given month, you'll have to physically walk to the Radio Shack at the strip mall and ask the store manager. In between stifled sobs, IGN PlayStation Executive Editor Greg Miller expressed bittersweet acceptance of the news.

"It's interesting but not unexpected," he said. "The PlayStation 2 turns 10 years old in October. Although the system is still selling well, it's clear that its best days are behind it and Sony's focusing on the PlayStation 3 and PSP. PS2 games are few and far between, so it's time to get on with our lives. Well done, PS2. Enjoy retirement."

The PS2's NPD removal comes at a time when the Nintendo DS is fast approaching the point where it will overtake Sony's system as the best-selling videogame hardware ever. The NPD Group expects the DS will exceed the PS2's install base by October or December of this year

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/108/1089566p1.html

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
MemoirsofMimi said:
According to the independent NPD Group, Nintendo’s Wii™ system and Nintendo DS™ family of systems outsold all other gaming hardware in the United States during the month of April. Even before the announcement of the new Wii hardware package, U.S. sales of the Wii console topped 277,000 for the month. Meanwhile, the Nintendo DS family of hand-held systems sold more than 440,000 units nationwide. Together, Nintendo video game system sales represented 60 percent of all hardware sold in the United States in April.

“Consumers recognize the unprecedented combination of value and fun offered by Nintendo game systems,” said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “But including even more hardware and software with every Wii system should drive consumer interest even higher.”

New additions to the basic Wii package in North America went on sale May 9. In addition to a Wii console, one Wii Remote™ controller, one Nunchuk™ controller and a copy of the Wii Sports™ game, each system now comes bundled with a copy of Wii Sports Resort™ and a Wii MotionPlus™ accessory. Consumers can also choose between two hardware color schemes: white or black. The suggested retail price of the system remains unchanged at $199.99.

Six of the top 10 best-selling games of April play on Nintendo systems. These include Pokémon™ SoulSilver Version at No. 2 with nearly 243,000 sold, New Super Mario Bros.™ Wii at No. 3 with more than 200,000 sold, Pokémon HeartGold Version at No. 4 with more than 192,000 sold, Wii Sports Resort™ with Wii MotionPlus at No. 5 with more than 179,000 sold, Just Dance by Ubisoft at No. 8 with more than 144,000 sold and Wii Fit™ Plus with the Wii Balance Board™ accessory at No. 10 with more than 130,000 sold.
Ok, all top 10 over 130k.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
2 Minutes Turkish said:
A) Wouldn't have been $40US for the DLC.

B) In AU, SSF4 came out at the same price as the original. Give or take $10.

I adore Street Fighter like no other, but even I couldn't bring myself to buy only a year later.

Really ? It was cheaper even here in Europe, by like 30 $US less than normal price , and you could find it even cheaper at some stores.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
If slowing down is their reason for taking the PS2 off of the list, the fuck is the PSP still doing there ?

Hell I'll bet money the PS2 did more than the PSP this month.

Road

schuelma said:
Hmm...maybe Tri did do as bad as everyone is saying. If it broke 100K I would think they would have included it.
At least we know it sold less than 130k.

Nintendo only mentions their separate SKU top 10 usually, though.

Slow month indeed.

Shame about the top 10 and PS2 numbers.

Kusagari said:
My prediction for next month:
1. Galaxy 2
2. RDR 360
3. UFC 360
4. RDR PS3
5. Alan Wake
6. UFC PS3
7. NSMB Wii
8. Pokemon SoulSilver
9. LP2 360
10. Pokemon HeartGold

1. Galaxy 2
2. UFC 360
3. RDR 360
4. UFC PS3
5. RDR PS3
6. NSMB Wii
7. Alan Wake 360
8. Pokemon SoulSilver
9. LP2 360
10. Pokemon HeartGold

That's what I think May 2010 is going to be.

schuelma said:

Dunno, but you'll note they didn't make any mention of anything outside the top 10 so perhaps it's less a case of "poor sales - don't mention it!" and more that they are just not wanting to/are unable to give figures for anything outside of the top 10?

MemoirsofMimi said:
I think it's interesting to mention that Nintendo has a different top 10 than that of the original post of this thread.

Not counting Limited Editions etc. for GoWIII?

I knew today was NPD day, but for some reason, I was surprised by and late to this thread. Must be because Evilore didn't make it. :lol

Low numbers all around...except for DS and Wii, of course. Time to drop prices at E3 or this fall...way too high at this point in the generation with the economy being what it is.

schuelma said:
Hard to say. They only mention games in the top 10, and I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo had a few more 1st party games hovering around 100k or above.

And just to give us a point of reference if we do get Tri numbers, can one of GAF's trusty sales age crew reiterate what the numbers were for previous MH titles on their debut NPDs?

cacildo

Leondexter said:
RE: Monster Hunter

Don't call it dead before it's dead. This is the Wii audience we're talking about. Games are not front-loaded. Even Wii Sports Resort, which has sales in the millions now, only debuted with, IIRC, 250k in its first month. Wii owners just don't run out and get in line on Day 1. There's no hive mind, no dashboard ads or friends lists telling them to keep up with the crowd. You have to give it time.

On the other hand, the Wii audience has been diligently trained over the last 3 years not to buy anything that doesn't have "Mario" or "Wii" in the title, so this may be too little, too late.

Oh no, my friend! You know the GAF rules!
Was the game released in the end of the month? That means the game had only 5, 4 days of sales data this month? IT DOSENT MATTER! You better hold more than 500k in sales this month otherwise GAF will call it a bomba!!

And you know what happens when GAF calls something a bomba, right????
nothing

Barrett2

Flying_Phoenix said:
What does that even remotely have to do with renting games?

Nothing, just like a flippant comment about Nintendo's racketeering in the 80s has nothing to do with what the company does today. But that didn't stop you, now did it?

Mrbob

Those hardware numbers for 360 and PS3 are good for April. Neither system is the next PS2 individually. SNES/Genny era has recycled itself.

schuelma said:
I'm sure the game was a huge bomb. The audience for hardcore games gave up on the Wii a long time ago. MH was too little too late. Better luck next-gen Capcom.

Owzers

Note to developers:

Stop making core games on Wii unless you are happy with Gamecube-level sales. Unless you're making a casual-friendly easily marketable game, Wii's large install base means nothing.

DMeisterJ

Banned
GrotesqueBeauty said:
Hard to say. They only mention games in the top 10, and I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo had a few more 1st party games hovering around 100k or above.

And just to give us a point of reference if we do get Tri numbers, can one of GAF's trusty sales age crew reiterate what the numbers were for previous MH titles on their debut NPDs?

MHF: Unite opened to 67k and a LTD 'around 150k'.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I don't think you guys understand, Monster Hunter Tri had the following:

• Free Demo at every Gamestop around the country
  • Bundled with Classic Controller Pro
  • Huge (and very good I might add) TV and Print Advertising Campaign
  • Part of a major franchise (well mostly Japan only but still...)
  • Tons of spots on the Nintendo Channel
  • Only major Wii Release of April
  • Large amount of hype among the Wii hardcore
  • Great graphics
  • Free online and Wii Speak support
  • Positive reviews
  • Backed by Nintendo

If Monster Hunter Tri numbers are released and they are below 100k, then it was a complete and utter disappointment in NA. Anybody saying otherwise is an idiot or a delusional fanboy.

sillymonkey321 said:
Note to developers:

Stop making core games on Wii unless you are happy with Gamecube-level sales. Unless you're making a casual-friendly easily marketable game, Wii's large install base means nothing.

Note to gamers:

Stop banking on light gun shooters and niche that have never been strong sellers to sell like Call of Duty.

Road

1. TOM CLANCY’S SPLINTER CELL: CONVICTION* 360 UBISOFT Apr-10 486.1K
2. POKEMON SOULSILVER VERSION NDS NINTENDO OF AMERICA Mar-10 242.9K
3. NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. WII WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Nov-09 200.3K
4. POKEMON HEARTGOLD VERSION NDS NINTENDO OF AMERICA Mar-10 192.6K
5. GOD OF WAR III* PS3 SONY Mar-10 180.3K
6. WII SPORTS RESORT W/ WII MOTION PLUS* WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Jul-09 ~179K
7. BATTLEFIELD: BAD COMPANY 2 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS Mar-10 166K
8. WII FIT PLUS W/ BALANCE BOARD* WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Oct-09 ????
9. JUST DANCE WII UBISOFT Nov-09 144K
10. SUPER STREET FIGHTER IV PS3 CAPCOM USA Apr-10 143K

Wow. Almost the full top 10.

Chrange

Banned
sillymonkey321 said:
Note to developers:

Coming this Fall...Monster Hunter Party!

selig

Banned
Hellsing321 said:
I'm sure the game was a huge bomb. The audience for hardcore games gave up on the Wii a long time ago. MH was too little too late. Better luck next-gen Capcom.

The audience for MHTri, the truly hardcore, is on no system. Your posting makes it sound as if someone that likes GTA or MGS will like MH3.

Hellsing321 said:
Yeah, I'm in this camp as well. I wouldn't call it the fault of Nintendo or the Wii console, but it's just the way it is. Third party developers have ignored the system for so long, or used it as a trashcan for quick ports, minigames and horrible cash ins, that most "core gamers" have just moved on to the HD consoles.

The third parties have had many and long opportunities to take advantage of the userbase of the Wii, but they've waited to long. Their fault. Their loss. Nintendo is the only party taking care of the Wii, and therefore make gazillions of dollars.

I would hope next gen the third parties are quicker in supporting the Nintendo system to not be caught with their pants down like this gen. However, I doubt it cause many of the business decisions from third parties this gen didn't even seem to be moved by economic arguments. It's as if third parties just don't *want* to develop for Nintendo consoles. They have to be dragged to the platform, kicking and screaming. So I don't hold much hope for the Wii2 to get full and genuine support from the industry. And Nintendo won't money hat them into doing it, that's for sure.

Owzers

AceBandage said:
Note to gamers:

Stop banking on light gun shooters and niche that have never been strong sellers to sell like Call of Duty.

Note to AceBandage:

No one has. Third parties are fighting for scraps and they aren't even getting them. Third parties need to focus on GOOD casual-friendly games to match Wii's audience.

PusherT

MH is the type of series that would do good on HD system either. The game is very hard and require alot of pre battle prep work. This is not a game like Borderlands or Splintercell. The monster are hard and it take startergy. This game has very limited appeal it very fun game though and The game has a nice tutoral too. Put this game on Xbox 360 and yeah good luck with that.

Whoa...is this the first time since the move to official co-operation with the NPD that GAF doesn't have all of the numbers for the top ten software?

sillymonkey321 said:
Note to AceBandage:

No one has. Third parties are fighting for scraps and they aren't even getting them.

Tell that to THQ that expected Deadly Creatures to sell well or EA who expected Extraction to sell gangbusters.

sillymonkey321 said:
Note to developers:

The game started development in 2007 primarily out of consideration for Japan (MH's strongest region), where it outsold the PS2 versions and is the highest-selling third-party Wii game in that region.

I'm not sure if your note would have any effect on Capcom's three-year-old decision.

VegaShinra

Software:

TOM CLANCY'S SPLINTER CELL: CONVICTION* 360 UBISOFT Apr-10 486.1K
POKEMON SOULSILVER VERSION NDS NINTENDO OF AMERICA Mar-10 242.9K
NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. WII WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Nov-09 200.3K
POKEMON HEARTGOLD VERSION NDS NINTENDO OF AMERICA Mar-10 192.6K
GOD OF WAR III* PS3 SONY Mar-10 180.3K 5
WII SPORTS RESORT W/ WII MOTION PLUS* WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Jul-09 179,00
BATTLEFIELD: BAD COMPANY 2 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS Mar-10 166,000
JUST DANCE WII UBISOFT Nov-09 144,000
SUPER STREET FIGHTER IV PS3 CAPCOM USA Apr-10 143,000
WII FIT PLUS W/ BALANCE BOARD* WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Oct-09 130,000

Full Top 10 via Examiner

Road

MemoirsofMimi said:
Doesn't explain why Wii Fit Plus is at #10, though.
Nintendo top 10:

1. Conviction
2. SoulSilver
3. NSMBW
4. HeartGold
5. WSR
6. GOWIII
7. 360BC2
8. JD
9. PS3SSFIV
10. WFP

???

They list separated SKUs (i.e., CE of Conviction is separated, as is WFP without the Balance Board).

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Monster Hunter is not unknown. That is kind of weird to say. Both Freedom Unite and Tri a have had gigantic advertising campaigns and prerelease demos. The game doesn't sell well because it doesn't appeal to the western audience. I don't think it will ever be huge. It's not all that dissimilar from dq IMO.

Top Bottom