• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2014 [Up2: XB1/360 hardware, PS4 #1/XB1 #2 best selling]

But the Titanfall SKU was $450, wasn't it?

I guess the casual consumer will bite on a $399 price tag based on perception alone, but it really isn't much of a deal when compared to the TF bundle.

When was the Titanfall bundle at $450? I'm looking around and I only see it listed at $500. If I could find this bundle for $450 right now, I would buy it instantly. Help me buy an Xbox One instantly.

Not good sales from either party, next month should be better for Sony though and worse for Microsoft. This E3 is really crucial for console gaming in the future.

KageMaru

Concerning numbers for consoles that just launched last year, well for the XBO anyways, not sure how the PS4 did.

Seems like the industry is in a catch 22. More new gen exclusives may help sales of the new consoles, but the install base isn't large enough to ignore the last gen systems.

I don't think this is true.

It would also be a breach of anti-trust legislation, by the way.

It certainly sounds shady, doesn't it? I'm feeling that it's all a part of the third party licensee agreement that structures royalties according to certain percentages that effectively force this to be the case. Maybe I'm wrong. Not sure anyone can reveal that information without talking about bits under NDA. Falls inline with trying to create an ecosystem that encourages the high roller mentality that benefits the isolated first party from losses but gains, at least in the short term, more per success.

xbownedu0jj2.png

curbyourenthusiasm.gif

but thanks.

That's not happening

9 is possible but might be out of reach unless Watchdoge shifts a lot.

legend166

?? PS4 and Xbone combined have sold more than two times what the 360 and PS3 did in the same time period. How is this an indication that this gen is trending worse than the previous one?

PS4 and Xbone are the number #1 and #2 consoles this generation.

They were number #2 and #3 last generation. It's a false comparison.

The 360 was significantly supply constrained for the first 4-5 months of its life (moreso than the PS4 if I remember correctly). The PS3 sold horribly during its first year. It was doing less than 100k a month at times. There's a reason Amir0x posted what he posted, as hilarious as it seems now.

I think there's some worrying signs for the console industry. Not complete "it's dead!" alarm, but there's no doubt there's worrying signs.

It would be a huge achievement for the Xbone to match the sales of 360 from this point. If the PS4 matches the PS3 I'd be pretty surprised, and obviously the Wii U isn't coming anywhere near the Wii. So it's looking pretty likely we're going to see some level of contraction in the console market this generation. And that hasn't happened ever before.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???

Thank you for the graph. It's greatly appreciated. 6 months sales for all 3 next-gen consoles for their respective releases for those who want to know.

If possible, would you have a pie or graph for 3DS, 360, PS3 and Wii U?

Questions:

How quickly did the announced Titanfall bundle jump up on the Amazon charts?

Was it as soon as it was announced? Or closer to release?

How much should we read into the slow pre-order numbers for the Kinect-less Xbox One on Amazon (#123)?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KAI3KW2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

We can't blame it on poor marketing.

Every major game site has it FRONT AND CENTER (mostly) on their main game page. Not even just the Xbox sections.

zMezXP1.jpg

NVu3XvG.jpg

wMxWpEy.jpg

(Hidden on the left side, thumbnail)
QOQ8nvQ.jpg

So, every store out there is aware of it and pushing it.

But this also means that these are all pre-orders which don't ship until June.

May is going to be ugly. Very ugly.

PS4 will definitely break 100 million+. It is in a great position to reach the all important $200 price point somewhere around year 5 or 6.

As for MS, I'm still not sure if the $399 sku will turn the tide for them as well as some of you expect. Casuals will see it as inferior to the $499 kinect model, while Sony has just the one sku on shelves. How will MS promote both skus? What percentage of those 360s sold are from hardcore gamers? What are the splits between the 360 kinectless sku and 360 kinect skus from last gen since the arrival of kinect?

I'm not sure if removing kinect would pay off in the long run for MS. A $50 price drop of the current model makes much more sense.

I can't see a situation in which the PS4 outsells the Wii world wide.
Unless you expect Europe to pick up the slack for a trailing NA and Japan.

Do you have reason to believe that the PS4 will sell LESS than the PS3 did in NA?

I expect the massive increase in NA and UK market share to easily make up for Japan and then some. Even if they only match the PS3's sales in Europe, then they would be well within striking distance of 100 million.

Once publishers decide to take a risk and stop releasing games on Last gen then we will see the console sales pick up.

The longer COD/FIFA/Madden release on 360/PS3/WiiU(sorry ninty) the longer we will see crap to mediocre current gen sales.

I just don't think it will outsell it by that much. i can't see Xbox One selling much more than 40 mil. If that :/

Maybe I was wrong about the state of the industry back in January's thread. I'm still hopeful PS4 can do 120m mil+ though.

I don't see another PS2 generation in the cards but even if it did hit 120M, it would still be awful overall for the industry.

PS4 120M
XB1 - 40M
Wii U - I'll be generous and say they hit 10M

166M total

PS3/360/Wii - 260M

That's a 90M drop off from last generation even with the assumption that another golden era of Playstation is upon us.

Shufel

Going off that graph the PS4 bar is higher above 200 than the One bar is above 100, so I'd assume the PS4 sold something like 220k instead of just 200k. Not that that makes much of a difference to things, but whatever.

TomShoe

Banned
Once publishers decide to take a risk and stop releasing games on Last gen then we will see the console sales pick up.

The longer COD/FIFA/Madden release on 360/PS4/WiiU(sorry ninty) the longer we will see crap to mediocre current gen sales.

They're not going to do that. Might as well be giving up free money, considering the still-massive install base of the last-gen consoles.

zeopower6

Do you have reason to believe that the PS4 will sell LESS than the PS3 did in NA?

I expect the massive increase in NA and UK market share to easily make up for Japan and then some. Even if they only match the PS3's sales in Europe, then they would be well within striking distance of 100 million.

Japan's sales should pick up once games are released for them. How many games are out in Japan that cater to Japanese players?

RiggyRob

PS4 will definitely break 100 million+. It is in a great position to reach the all important $200 price point somewhere around year 5 or 6.

As for MS, I'm still not sure if the $399 sku will turn the tide for them as well as some of you expect. Casuals will see it as inferior to the $499 kinect model, while Sony has just the one sku on shelves. How will MS promote both skus? What percentage of those 360s sold are from hardcore gamers? What are the splits between the 360 kinectless sku and 360 kinect skus from last gen since the arrival of kinect?

I'm not sure if removing kinect would pay off in the long run for MS. A $50 price drop of the current model makes much more sense.

This is a bold statement - I'm not aware of the US prices of PS3 or X360, but is it true they're still $250 even now?

Casuals will see the $399 X1 bundle as $100 cheaper than the $499 bundle, but I agree taking Kinect out won't magically make Microsoft win the generation.

prag16

Banned

"Definitely" doesn't seem a little ballsy a prediction to you at this point in time?

I feel the same. Now there is mixed messaging and consumer confusion. Now they have the quintessential gimped Sku and there will be a perception the complete console is still $500

Top Bottom