• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2014 [Up4: PS4 #1, XB1 last week sales 2x last Jul week]

Stupid question: Why doesn't NPD release actual numbers and breakdowns by platforms like Media Create does in Japan?

Almost all media reports in the u.s. Are secret and charge lime $1000plus a report. If you don't mind paying that you.can post the numbers, but its a lot of money.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
How many subscriptions does EA Access have? I guess it must be a great amount to justify people holding out hope those sales will pull the XB1 version ahead?

We don't know yet. EA will probably share at their earnings call in October given they still share Battlefield Premium numbers even after they stopped giving retail game sales.

There is really nothing to discuss quite honestly.

No newer releases for 3DS & Wii U software for the month of August, there's not much to add really lol

I suppose I just find Mario Kart 8's likely severe decline worrying due to how important the franchise has been to Nintendo

C'mon people - if the xb1 version of madden outsold the ps4's across all channels (physical, bundled, digital) Aaron Greenberg would be making this point known to anyone with a pulse.

Instead we're getting more PR obfuscation.

Stupid question: Why doesn't NPD release actual numbers and breakdowns by platforms like Media Create does in Japan?

NPD is an American company and Americans are greedy so they don't want to give out their data for free.

Media Create is a Japanese company so they disclose the data publicly, since honor and shame are huge parts of their culture.

It's not that farfetched to think about. The PS4 is at an install base of over 10 million users meanwhile the Xbox one from the last updated numbers was at 5 million units. Obvisiously it's higher now. Based on the sheer difference of users it's plausible for Advanced Warfare to do better on PS4.

Yes it is, at the time Xbox was barely selling and still considered murder in peoples mind, COD still did more and there was a month the ps4 version sold more if I remember correctly, so it came back.

Bgamer90

Banned
This "hold on! what about EA Access!" narrative is absurd. There's zero evidence that it has had a significant, relevant impact on the delta of digital sales.

How many subscriptions does EA Access have? I guess it must be a great amount to justify people holding out hope those sales will pull the XB1 version ahead?

Who is doing that? It just seems like some are simply interested in how much the game sold via EA access.

Idk why ppl are surprised regarding madden. Ps4 has been dominating all year long. It's pretty much expected now.

Madden is/was associated with Xbox. The exclusive marketing and MS NFL tie ins. The two brands go hand in hand practically.

It would be like a MGS game selling better on Xbox despite the series' roots and co Sony marketing for past games. Yet they sell better on a lower PS3 installed base because of those reasons.

jakncoke

Banned
Almost all media reports in the u.s. Are secret and charge lime $1000plus a report. If you don't mind paying that you.can post the numbers, but its a lot of money.

You cant which is why leakers get shut down time to time and when leakers are posting they are vague,discreet and give out minimal info also why that site got destroyed once NPD found out they were posting numbers.

hawk2025

Regardless, the logic requires that, beyond subscribing to EA access:

1) These people were not previously digital buyers
or
2) These people were not previously Madden buyers on XB1, but rather digital buyers on PS4

These are the two scenarios that would account for an increase in the delta of the digital breakdown.

Do we think a 10% discount, on top of a subscription fee, was enough to make a significant dent under these scenarios? Note the subtlety here: The logic only works if these people were not previously digital buyers or were digital buyers of the competing platform.

Curufinwe

C'mon people - if the xb1 version of madden outsold the ps4's across all channels (physical, bundled, digital) Aaron Greenberg would be making this point known to anyone with a pulse.

Instead we're getting more PR obfuscation.

Well he doesn't know how well it sold on PSN.

EGOMON

If MS going as low as releasing shipped numbers to confuse NPD sales data, then you bet your ass they would shouted from roof top if Madden sold the most on Xbox thats why i believe Madden sold better on PS4 even if you included bundles numbers for xbone.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I just noticed Disney Infinity 2.0 isn't releasing on Wii (only on Wii U)? Interesting. Probably explains the free eShop download of Disney Infinity on the Wii U...Maybe we'll see some movement here.

NolbertoS

I've been waiting all week for NPD time. Can't wait to hear the latest PR spin by everybody. EA and MS are silent about Access too, which to me signals that it hasn't met there expectations or you'd hear MS plaster the sales all over tweets and the internetz.

Mory Dunz

I just noticed Disney Infinity 2.0 isn't releasing on Wii (only on Wii U)? Interesting. Probably explains the free eShop download of Disney Infinity on the Wii U...Maybe we'll see some movement here.

Really? I feel like it'd still sell better than....well all the next gen systems tbh.

Oh uh

Get ready for a gigantic drop in software next month!

Without AC Unity slipping to November maybe October would have been up compared to last year but now I don't know. Well maybe November. It's so packed (It's every year though). Of course digital taking bigger and bigger partion of the sales makes yoy comparisons little unfair.

C4Lukins

Not that this is a great indicator, but the people I follow on XOne is around 550, but probably 50 of those are 360 only owners , so about 500. Madden 15 got up to about 50 through early access, so at least 10% of the people I follow have EA access. Probably a bit higher because not everyone cares about Madden.

Top Bottom