• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2007

Iksenpets said:
GH3 is big among casual gamers. That just proves that a casual game with a strong brand name can do well on the Wii. The only third party hardcore game I can think of that's done really well was RE4, and to a lesser extent, Umbrella Chronicles, which I would assume comes from all the long term Nintendo fans who became fans of the series in the Gamecube years. And has there been any really successful new IP on the Wii?

Red Steel has sold close to or over 1 million worldwide, which is pretty decent.

Rolf NB

Sho_Nuff82 said:
The PS2 has shipped about 120 million WW, and sold about 40+ million US, 40+ million PAL, 20+ million Japan.

US sales are kind of a big deal. Once again, and I've made this point just about every month, MS has sold more 360's in North America than Sony has sold PS3's worldwide, by nearly a million units. That's not insignificant.
That's less of a point and more of an assertion. A fuckin' crazy assertion.

pr0cs

doicare said:
thank you for providing factual evidence of that.
If you want to get into pissing matches I'd say that December in north america accounts for an entire YEAR of PS3 gain over the 360 in mainland (exc-UK) gain.
* you nor I can prove our stance.

Rolf NB

pr0cs said:
Maybe you're seeing something I'm not but the difference I'm seeing in these number pretty much makes the entire continent of Europe irrelevant in relation to PS3 vs 360.
The European continent may be a tiny market for the XBox 360, but assuming that the same is true for its competitors is unwarranted.

pr0cs

bcn-ron said:
The European continent may be a tiny market for the XBox 360, but assuming that the same is true for its competitors is unwarranted.
while the numbers I've seen are limited to specific countries those countries are considered the "largest" game buying countries in mainland Europe. Those YEARLY numbers don't even account for December alone in North America.
I'm not discounting Europe as an important market but it seems to me that people give mainland Europe a little too much importance.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
tanod said:
At the very least, we know from Sonycowboy that there were at least 9 titles that did over 100k in December.

We know Uncharted and UT3 are in the top 9. I just want to know if Ratchet is in that top 9 list, too.

duffey

Mindlog said:
The shoved rushed some of their expected January stock to help increase December numbers.

We'll see how much it affects sales :eek:
Hey avatar buddy!

Anyway, the DS shocks the hell out of me continually. Those numbers are staggering, oh man.

Big-E

pr0cs said:
while the numbers I've seen are limited to specific countries those countries are considered the "largest" game buying countries in mainland Europe. Those YEARLY numbers don't even account for December alone in North America.
I'm not discounting Europe as an important market but it seems to me that people give mainland Europe a little too much importance.

Didn't Europe sell the most PS2's. If that's the case I wouldn't say it has little importance.

reilo

Loudninja said:
Well Uncharted did over 200k :p

We also know that COD4 and AC are in that top 9. Rock Band, too. GH3?

That's 5, possibly 6.

Rolf NB

schuelma said:
No, its the truth.
Yeah, no. Read it again maybe? We have the numbers for the US and Japan. After you do the math, you'll see that his claim is esentially that the XBox 360 outsells the PS3 in Europe by at least 800k units every month (by even more outside the peak season actually). I don't have the hard numbers either, but I know enough to call it a fuckin' crazy assertion. Maybe it's also the result of a shitty maths education, but that's not mutually exclusive.

edit: okay, now you're going to tell me that we're talking LTDs, not monthly figures. Right? Ach.

Jammy

Banned
People disregarding Wii software sales STILL at this point should be ashamed.

-Super Mario Galaxy is at ~3.35 million between just Japan and the U.S. in less than two months! More likely, this game has surpassed 4 million worldwide in less than two months! This is GAF's GOTY! People have great taste.

-Mario and Sonic at the Olympics was Sega's BIG game. They predicted this game to sell four million worldwide and people here scoffed at them. Hell, I scoffed at them, too. Yet this game has already sold one million in the U.S., is reaching 500,000 in Japan, and has been consistently selling out when it isn't topping the charts in the UK and elsewhere in Europe. I bet this game has already surpassed 2 million globally already... and the DS game isn't even out!

-Guitar Hero III. Really, this game fits the Wii's mantra like a glove and I've been saying this for months and months before the game even released. It's no wonder why the game has an LTD of ~1.2 million already on the Wii in just slightly over two months. If Activision wasn't stupid they'd hurry up, fix the botched copies they've already sold, and ship a HELL of a lot more of this game on the Wii than they have already. This should go on to sell over 2 million on the Wii alone. If it doesn't, it's Activision's fault.

-Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga sold a surprising amount in November. I believe leaked NPD numbers gave us a number quite a bit above 200,000. If this game picked up like most every other game did, this is a huge boon for LucasArts or whoever developed/published the game. Funnily enough, the GCN didn't even get a Lego Star Wars game until months AFTER the Xbox and PS2 did.

-Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition and RE: Umbrella Chronicles have BOTH far surpassed Capcom's expectations. These games are relatively quick and easy paths to sales and cash for the company. Hopefully now Capcom realizes they have quite the Resident Evil fanbase on the Wii (possibly from all those RE games on GCN), even without a brand-new installment. Here's hoping to another RE game in the future, whether that be RE2: Wii Edition or something else. Capcom would also be dumb to leave money on the table.

Have you guys noticed that Metroid Prime 3: Corruption has already surpassed Metroid Prime 2: Echoes in sales and is still going? Are you guys that dense to think that Zack and Wiki wouldn't flop on 360 and especially PS3 (where everything flops :lol )?

We get complaints from ONE developer (Suda 51) and it's quite funny because No More Heroes is well on track to be his highest selling game yet on any system DS, PS2, Wii, etc. Everybody else is content or ramping up development for Wii because of the money coming in.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
bcn-ron said:
Yeah, no. Read it again maybe? We have the numbers for the US and Japan. After you do the math, you'll see that his claim is esentially that the XBox 360 outsells the PS3 in Europe by at least 800k units every month (by even more outside the peak season actually). I don't have the hard numbers either, but I know enough to call it a fuckin' crazy assertion. Maybe it's also the result of a shitty maths education, but that's not mutually exclusive.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I read his post as saying the 360's total hardware sales in the U.S (just over 9 million) are more than the PS3's worldwide sales (which is around 8 million).

Thunder Monkey said:
Well if you want to take "selling well" as hitting over a million units then the 360 has 33, the Wii has 14, and the PS3 has 3.

Off the top of my head. The vast majority for the 360 are 3rd party, about six for the Wii are 3rd party, and maybe one of those three for the PS3 are 3rd party. The most profitable options are obvious.

What 3 PS3 games have hit a million. According to NPD, none of them have yet. COD4 is the closest and around 950k, and Resistance numbers last month had it sitting at 780k. What three titles sold better then those two?

schuelma

OldJadedGamer said:
What 3 PS3 games have hit a million. According to NPD, none of them have yet. COD4 is the closest and around 950k, and Resistance numbers last month had it sitting at 780k. What three titles sold better then those two?

I imagine he's talking worldwide.

reilo

Wait, someone said that the X360 outsells the PS3 by 800k/mo in Europe????

:lol :lol :lol

This thread is full of win.

Rolf NB

schuelma said:
Maybe I'm wrong, but I read his post as saying the 360's total hardware sales in the U.S (just over 9 million) are more than the PS3's worldwide sales (which is around 8 million).
Just edited above, and I can see it adding up if that was about LTDs. Read it as monthly at first. Mystery solved I guess. Sorry.

schuelma

besada said:
I'm not saying a word.

:lol :lol :lol :lol well played. There is a big distinction between the two arguments, but still...well played.

OldJadedGamer said:
I was going worldwide with that assessment.

Worldwide that's what it looks like.

360 titles are doing so bangin' here, that it's software sales make up any difference when I talk about worldwide software numbers.

Chumly

tanod said:
At the very least, we know from Sonycowboy that there were at least 9 titles that did over 100k in December.
Did he tell us how many titles sold over 100k for the 360/Wii/DS/PSP???

I missed where he said that about the PS3 i was wondering if he revealed anything more.

Rolf NB

reilo said:
Wait, someone said that the X360 outsells the PS3 by 800k/mo in Europe????

:lol :lol :lol

This thread is full of win.
Probably not really. Suppose I misread the following:
Sho_Nuff82 said:
The PS2 has shipped about 120 million WW, and sold about 40+ million US, 40+ million PAL, 20+ million Japan.

US sales are kind of a big deal. Once again, and I've made this point just about every month, MS has sold more 360's in North America than Sony has sold PS3's worldwide, by nearly a million units. That's not insignificant.
Didn't take much, but yeah, I should have known better.

rs7k

Every who says the 360 won't do well in 2008 should pretty much be proven wrong. If anything, I see 360 software sales obliterating everything until the end of its lifespan.

Jammy said:
People disregarding Wii software sales STILL at this point should be ashamed.

-Super Mario Galaxy is at ~3.35 million between just Japan and the U.S. in less than two months! More likely, this game has surpassed 4 million worldwide in less than two months! This is GAF's GOTY! People have great taste.

-Mario and Sonic at the Olympics was Sega's BIG game. They predicted this game to sell four million worldwide and people here scoffed at them. Hell, I scoffed at them, too. Yet this game has already sold one million in the U.S., is reaching 500,000 in Japan, and has been consistently selling out when it isn't topping the charts in the UK and elsewhere in Europe. I bet this game has already surpassed 2 million globally already... and the DS game isn't even out!

-Guitar Hero III. Really, this game fits the Wii's mantra like a glove and I've been saying this for months and months before the game even released. It's no wonder why the game has an LTD of ~1.2 million already on the Wii in just slightly over two months. If Activision wasn't stupid they'd hurry up, fix the botched copies they've already sold, and ship a HELL of a lot more of this game on the Wii than they have already. This should go on to sell over 2 million on the Wii alone. If it doesn't, it's Activision's fault.

-Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga sold a surprising amount in November. I believe leaked NPD numbers gave us a number quite a bit above 200,000. If this game picked up like most every other game did, this is a huge boon for LucasArts or whoever developed/published the game. Funnily enough, the GCN didn't even get a Lego Star Wars game until months AFTER the Xbox and PS2 did.

-Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition and RE: Umbrella Chronicles have BOTH far surpassed Capcom's expectations. These games are relatively quick and easy paths to sales and cash for the company. Hopefully now Capcom realizes they have quite the Resident Evil fanbase on the Wii (possibly from all those RE games on GCN), even without a brand-new installment. Here's hoping to another RE game in the future, whether that be RE2: Wii Edition or something else. Capcom would also be dumb to leave money on the table.

Have you guys noticed that Metroid Prime 3: Corruption has already surpassed Metroid Prime 2: Echoes in sales and is still going? Are you guys that dense to think that Zack and Wiki wouldn't flop on 360 and especially PS3 (where everything flops :lol )?

We get complaints from ONE developer (Suda 51) and it's quite funny because No More Heroes is well on track to be his highest selling game yet on any system DS, PS2, Wii, etc. Everybody else is content or ramping up development for Wii because of the money coming in.

There is a lot of truth and logic in this post. I hope everyone read it.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
doicare said:
The difference that the ps3 out sells the 360 in japan and europe more than makes up for the amount the 360 out sells the ps3 in america.

Where are you getting your European numbers?

360 USA+Japan = 1,303,412
PS3 USA+Japan = 1,074,499

360 wins by 228,913 units. So, can you post the total sales for all of Europe that show the PS3 outselling the 360 by 228,913 units? I don`t think you can.

Mindlog

duffey said:
Hey avatar buddy!

Anyway, the DS shocks the hell out of me continually. Those numbers are staggering, oh man.

thheadbang7.gif
Can't wait until March.

The only thing that's going to stop DS is DS2.

MWS Natural said:
Mod's banned gif posting in the NPD thread for one month and it hasn't been the same since...it has taken alot of fun out of the sales threads imo.

Then I vote for two NPD threads. One regular thread, and one just for funny gifs.

Will someone tell me why the PS3 selling 797.6 K in one month is bad? It's a 400 / 500 dollar machine. How is selling that much bad?

That said, I only bought it for Blu-Ray and have no intentions of ever buying a PS3 game.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
DarthWaiter said:
Will someone tell me why the PS3 selling 797.6 K in one month is bad? It's a 400 / 500 dollar machine. How is selling that much bad?

That said, I only bought it for Blu-Ray and have no intentions of ever buying a PS3 game.

Part of the problem :lol

_Alkaline_ said:
There is a lot of truth and logic in this post. I hope everyone read it.
The truth is there. Problem is he's overlooking, purposfully it seems, the issue most people have with Wii's software.
Also, there are quite a few more industry people than Suda taking issue with how the Wii has positioned itself.

Rolf NB

rs7k said:
The PS3 is not outselling the 360 WW in any way shape or form. PS3 fans should give it up already.
If I had to guess, I'd say you're extrapolating from the UK, which would be an easy way to prove what you want to prove, but also an incomplete and skewed choice of data.

DarthWaiter said:

its not bad, but weak in comparison to the other systems considering it just got a price cut

rs7k

DarthWaiter said:

It's not bad on its own. It's just that everyone is hoping it will make a comeback and sell like the PS2 again, hence the wait till 2008 meme around here, when the generation only has about 2-3 years left anyway and the race is pretty much over. The PS3 is selling less than the 360 at the same price in 06.

It's also gonna have to make up for a year of terrible sales in the US, and also consider many people are only buying it as a movie machine.

bcn-ron said:
If I had to guess, I'd say you're extrapolating from the UK, which would be an easy way to prove what you want to prove, but also an incomplete and skewed choice of data.
The thing is, everyone supporting the other notion is extrpolating on data points that are non-exhistant and nevr have been. : /

Top Bottom