• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2008

sonicmj1

Mindlog said:
I'm racking my brain trying to figure this one out. Where are the JStone and PL charts :D

I can't think of a reason Dec 2008 wasn't the PS3's biggest SW unit month ever. Now I really want to see the chart to verify whether or not the 360 had it's biggest. Although Halo 3 of course might mess with that.

December 07 was higher than December 08 for the PS3. Just look earlier in the thread.

The 360's biggest month was this month.

Raw64life

Everything not posted in the OP so far...

December 08:

WII ROCK BAND: ~150K
WII WII MUSIC: ~485K

-----

Rough LTDs:

NDS MARIO KART DS: ~4.3 million

WII GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR: ~1.5 million
WII WII MUSIC: ~865K

PS3 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR: ~1.1 million

360 LEFT 4 DEAD: ~1.0 million

-----

Hardware LTD:

NDS: ~27.5 million
Wii: ~17.5 million
PSP: ~14.3 million
360: ~13.8 million
PS3: ~6.8 million

-----

WII PLAY W/REMOTE - 23 months in the top 10 and counting:

February 07 - 371K
March 07 - 273K
April 07 - 249K
May 07 - 227K
June 07 - 293K
July 07 - 278K
August 07 - 257K
September 07 - 282K
October 07 - 240K
November 07 - 564K
December 07 - 1.1 million
January 08 - 298K
February 08 - 290K
March 08 - 410K
April 08 - 360K
May 08 - 295K
June 08 - 295K
July 08 - 285K
August 08 - 200K
September 08 - 245K
October 08 - 280K
November 08 - 795K
December 08 - 1.45 million

LTD: ~9.4 million

Wii Play having it's best sales month in it's 23rd month of availability.

mm04

1cesc said:
Not only did you use a ridiculous number of weasel words, but you also decided to make a complete baseless prediction...

The dude repeats that same mantra over and over and over. We'll see him again in 30 days, saying the same exact thing.

pseudocaesar said:
The difference is the Gamecube got smashed by the PS2, whereas the 360 isnt smashing the PS3, its just keeping its lead and thats it. The fact remains that when the price of the PS3 does drop, European and Japanese sales will skyrocket, while 360 sales plummet, the 360 might still outsell in NA but not by much. By the end of the gen the PS3 will have outsold the 360, guaranteed.

Hello WII?

Next ban bet?

Mindlog

sonicmj1 said:
December 07 was higher than December 08 for the PS3. Just look earlier in the thread.

The 360's biggest month was this month.

Will do. Thank you for the heads up.

CoD 4 + Assassin's Creed + Orange Box + Uncharted + Rock Band

'07 kicked ass.

Also managed to nab the traditional Kotaku post of the response. OK, I'm good. Curiosity satiated somewhat.

Mamesj

Banned
pseudocaesar said:
The difference is the Gamecube got smashed by the PS2, whereas the 360 isnt smashing the PS3, its just keeping its lead and thats it. The fact remains that when the price of the PS3 does drop, European and Japanese sales will skyrocket, while 360 sales plummet, the 360 might still outsell in NA but not by much. By the end of the gen the PS3 will have outsold the 360, guaranteed.

guaranteed, eh?

AFreak said:
It's like Sony raped your cat.

Nope. I love my ps3. I just aint blind to reality. Next as long as the ps3 has games I could care less who sells more. Its all a dick measuring contest.

But this is sales age and the fact is our beloved ps3 will not be the next ps2. That is the wii. It happens. At some point you have to step back and see what it is. A high priced piece of tech hotness. That will not light up the sales charts. And will likely finish 3rd this gen.

Gaborn

pseudocaesar said:

The GameCube wasn't fighting the PS2 for first place, it was fighting the Xbox for second place. Similarly, the PS3 isn't fighting the Wii for 1st place, it's fighting the 360 for second place. And, incidentally, just like the GC got smashed by the first place console... I think I'm comfortable saying the PS3 is getting smashed by the first place console this generation.

Gaborn said:
The GameCube wasn't fighting the PS2 for first place, it was fighting the Xbox for second place. Similarly, the PS3 isn't fighting the Wii for 1st place, it's fighting the 360 for second place. And, incidentally, just like the GC got smashed by the first place console... I think I'm comfortable saying the PS3 is getting smashed by the first place console this generation.

I was going to post the exact same thing but eventually didn't bother.

The PS3 = GCN thing is indeed coming true, imo. By the time PS3 costs something everyone could buy, no one will care. I wouldn't be surprised to see 3rd party support diminishing from this point on.

w3stfa11

Nintendo almost had three games selling over 1m. And they would have were it not for supply issues. Also, yay for Left 4 Dead. Wouldn't be surprised if we see it again in January's NPD.

knitoe

Raw64life said:
Wii Play having it's best sales month in it's 23rd month of availability.
More Wiis being sold = more Wii Play being sold. People need 2nd waggle, and thus, why not get it with a "game." Until there's a better bundle, this could go on forever.

jeremy1456

AFreak said:
gamecube was NEVER higher than PS2. Therefore, argument is invalid :p

You know what is a valid argument in that case?

Sega Saturn vs. Playstation.

The Saturn launched at higher, and remained higher than the Playstation until it died.

And we all know how the 'mass market' price drop helped them out...

jibblypop

Banned
knitoe said:
More Wiis being sold = more Wii Play being sold. People need 2nd waggle, and thus, why not get it with a "game." Until there's a better bundle, this could go on forever.

Yes it was definitely a great business move by Nintendo. Packing it this way makes both the game and the 2nd controller more desirable as an immediate purchase with the console.

TJ Spyke

KuwabaraTheMan said:
YOY increases in all but 3 months (one of which was its launch month). Freaking unbelievable.

IIRC, it's also been in the top 10 in every single month of that time period too. I don't think any other game has ever been in the top 10 more consecutive months than Wii Play.

Eteric Rice

pseudocaesar said:
Id like to respectfully disagree on that point. Alot of Wii gamers are ex PS2 casuals, not die hard Nintendo Fanboys, so when you see the PS3 hitting the price of what they paid for the PS2 and Wii, they will say hey how about we upgrade the old PS2 to a 3. They dont have that mentality with the 360, and dont compare it to the PS2 which most people had.

That really worked out for the N64.

Oh, wait...

I'm shocked that Sony/Microsoft haven't tried to emulate Nintendo's motion control success yet. Perhaps they're waiting for significant hardware revisions (smaller, more stylish and accessible), but it's not like the software that has sold gangbusters on the Wii is all that difficult to produce. These aren't big budget projects. They're just engaging, in the family get together/party sense.

I'm pretty confident that this is what Microsoft is going to show off at E3 -- some type of motion control tech to rival the Wii, with software that also appeals to the Wii crowd. They're already at mass market prices with the 360. Selling 8 million copies of Halo 4 won't necessarily broaden their base, but they could potentially undercut Nintendo's market a bit.

Ditto to Sony.

Wii Play, though, is not very impressing, by the mere fact that it's more a controller sale than a game sale - if it was a $50.00 game w/o a controller, it would not do well at all. Or maybe it would? At the very least, it wouldn't be a breakthrough success.

pseudocaesar said:
Id like to respectfully disagree on that point. Alot of Wii gamers are ex PS2 casuals, not die hard Nintendo Fanboys, so when you see the PS3 hitting the price of what they paid for the PS2 and Wii, they will say hey how about we upgrade the old PS2 to a 3.

Id like to respectfully disagree on that point. Alot of PlayStation gamers are ex Sega Genesis casuals, not die hard Sony Fanboys, so when you see the Saturn hitting the price of what they paid for the Genesis and Master System, they will say hey how about we upgrade the old Genesis to a Saturn.

AlexMogil

Blame! said:
so why are people posting KZ2 stuff in this NPD thread again?

door2.gif

Better?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
TJ Spyke said:
IIRC, it's also been in the top 10 in every single month of that time period too. I don't think any other game has ever been in the top 10 more consecutive months than Wii Play.

Then again, has anyone ever bundled a game with a standard controller and only charged 10 more dollars for it?

A Link to the Snitch said:
Wii Play, though, is not very impressing, by the mere fact that it's more a controller sale than a game sale - if it was a $50.00 game w/o a controller, it would not do well at all. Or maybe it would? At the very least, it wouldn't be a breakthrough success.

It's still $10 more expensive than a remote on its own, though. That's 9 million people who have paid extra money to get the game.

In the early days they were in short supply, but these days, not so much. Given that, I'd say the sales are still quite impressive.

knitoe

Private Hoffman said:
I'm shocked that Sony/Microsoft haven't tried to emulate Nintendo's motion control success yet. Perhaps they're waiting for significant hardware revisions (smaller, more stylish and accessible), but it's not like the software that has sold gangbusters on the Wii is all that difficult to produce. These aren't big budget projects. They're just engaging, in the family get together/party sense.

I'm pretty confident that this is what Microsoft is going to show off at E3 -- some type of motion control tech to rival the Wii, with software that also appeals to the Wii crowd. They're already at mass market prices with the 360. Selling 8 million copies of Halo 4 won't necessarily broaden their base, but they could potentially undercut Nintendo's market a bit.

Ditto to Sony.
Me too. When Nintendo went with analog sticks on N64, Sony was smart enough to follow on the PSX. Don't know what Microsoft & Sony are waiting for.

$199 X360 + waggle would have been amazing sales this X-mas.

knitoe

KuwabaraTheMan said:
It's still $10 more expensive than a remote on its own, though. That's 9 million people who have paid extra money to get the game.

In the early days they were in short supply, but these days, not so much. Given that, I'd say the sales are still quite impressive.
$10 more for "game" is almost nothing. Now, if it were $30-40 more.

Eteric Rice

knitoe said:
Me too. When Nintendo went with analog sticks on N64, Sony was smart enough to follow on the PSX. Don't know what Microsoft & Sony are waiting for.

$199 X360 + waggle would have been amazing sales this X-mas.

No, I don't think it would have really. The Wii's remote is bundled with every single system, and just about all the games use it in some way.

For the 360 it would just be a game or two.

pseudocaesar said:
Whats to get banned about, it was just a statement of my thoughts on the matter.

You made a guarantee. If your so sure of yourself make a perma ban bet over it. thats what i meant. I would take those odds :lol

PSGames

CrazzyMan said:
FY* == Sony** ====== Nintendo ===== Microsoft
1998 = 974,000,000 === 629,000,000
1999 = 1,130,000,000 == 645,000,000
2000 = 730,000,000 === 421,000,000
2001 = -409,000,000 === 726,000,000
2002 = 623,000,000 === 800,000,000 == -750,000,000
2003 = 939,000,000 === 560,000,000 == -1,191,000,000
2004 = 650,000,000 === 316,000,000 == -1,215,000,000
2005 = 404,000,000 === 777,000,000 == -485,000,000
2006 = 75,000,000 ==== 894,000,000 == -1,262,000,000
2007 = -1,969,000,000 = 1,489,000,000 = -1,892,000,000
2008 = -1,265,000,000 = 2,480,000,000 = 426,000,000
2009 = 51,000,000 ==== 1,026,000,000 = 178,000,000
Totals 1,953,000,000 = 10,762,000,000 = -6,191,000,000

are these wrong numbers?
And it`s not like Sony is not going to get a profit from PS3/PSN/PSP/PS2/Home. =)

This still doesn't show how much they've actually LOST due to the PS3. For instance they were 400 million in 2005, 75 million for 2006 and negative 1969 million in 2007. The PS3 not only caused a loss for the division but it completely erased the profits they were making on the PS2 and PSP for that year as well. The PS3 has been more of a money pit than the original Xbox.

Top Bottom