• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2009

boiled goose

good with gravy
AceBandage said:
Which is exactly what I'm asking for and not getting.

I have a huge backlog of quality wii games to play through. Because I am informed, I don't care if these niche releases light the sales charts or not... it is better for me because i can pick um up for cheap later.

I think you just want RE4 wii edition 2 which wii will probably never get unfortunately...
or a proper sequel to Madden wii 2007... but oh well....

lowrider007 said:
End of the day third party titles could have a billion dollars budget, it doesn't change the fact the my mum/grandparents etc are never going to buy them, they know Mario (as a franchise), Wii Fit, Wii Sports, and that's about it, they are not 'traditional' gamers, and it's these types of people that are buying the Wii in droves.

Well gosh, I wonder how Nintendo managed to get your parents and grandparents about those titles? It's like Nintendo decided to make a game that might appeal to them.... and then I guess they must have told them or something?

ShinNL

grandjedi6 said:
Hint: That core gameplay that the majority of Wii owners want is not the core gameplay of PS360 games. If people wanted that then they would just play PS360 games, which they have. I think you should refrain from projecting your own tastes upon the Wii userbase as if they would ever care about the same games as you.
Hint: I think I have more rights to project my taste as the Wii userbase than you, because I'm a Wii-only owner dying for real games. Yes I do fucking want MH3 and NMH2. And IMO it's so incredibly obvious why.

Edit: Your post is even more insane that I initially thought. Name me a top quality Wii game with core gameplay of PS360 games. Go ahead. Try.

Busaiku

Justin Dailey said:
WTF? Assuming 105 million households in the US (LINK), that means almost 1 out of every 27 households bought a Wii...IN ONE MONTH.

This has to be one of the best selling products of all time...OF ALL TIME!
Milk probably sold more.

Tiktaalik

With those fantastic Wii and DS sales and the great word of mouth that the Call of Duty franchise has in general, I'd be really interested to know how well Modern Warfare Wii and the most recent CoD DS did.

grandjedi6 said:
  1. Owning other consoles does not exempt one from being a fanboy or from saying stupid things
  2. For you, this has nothing to do with quality. There are tons of quality Wii titles which you disregard for stupid reasons
  3. As for own AC2 comment here has just shown, what you really want is what the HD console have. You say all you want is "equal quality" but what you really want is parallel experiences

The Wii is not the console you think or apparently want it to be. The Wii is not the 360, the Wii is not the PS3, the Wii is not the PS2. It is its own creature and deserves games made to its strengths. Which is why your argument is a neverending catch-22 for publishers -- if they were to make a game that is different from the HD, or "traditional" model, then you disregard them because they "don't count". However if the publishers go ahead and try to replicate those experiences then they predictably fail, hence making them "not count" again. Thus its impossible for 3rd parties to meet your demands.

It seems like the argument is what those strengths are.

There's a number of people who will insist at great length that NMH2 deserves to be on another system because it just uses the classic controller. On the other hand, while someone like you may say Dead Space Extraction plays to the Wii's strengths, while I think it ignores the Wii's ability to do a normal third person game pretty well.

Chrange

Banned
:enemyglider: said:
With PS3 outselling the 360 despite the shortages, surely the PS3 will likely outsell the 360 indefinitely when the PS3s get back in regular supply.

That's a pretty ballsy prediction from a one-month 50k difference.

Fredescu

Opiate said:
Why is no one talking about DS third party sales?
I'm too busy drowning in my pile of awesome DS games to talk about it.

They mostly come from Japan though. PS360 gets the bulk of western support. DS and to a lesser extent PSP get the bulk of Japanese support. Wii is stuck in the middle.

stupei

Opiate said:
It's time to change your frame of reference, and think of the Wii like you would the DS. It simply is not going to happen.

I'd be happy to have a second DS. That would actually be awesome. The problem is that those Japanese developers who make games for the DS are all busy doing that and ignoring consoles.

farnham

Banned
i love it how 6 of the top 10 games are on the wii and still everyone claims that the wii cant sell software..

more like third parties dropped the ball once again... and this was predictable looking at the chart of last year and the year before that..

FrankT

Chrange said:
That's a pretty ballsy prediction from a one-month 50k difference.

Reminds me of Edge Jan 08 predictions I believe when they said the 360 may never outsell the PS3 again. :lol

Also if Ani is around can we get some DA numbers on both platforms?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
timetokill said:
Well gosh, I wonder how Nintendo managed to get your parents and grandparents about those titles? I guess they must have told them or something?

The Mario franchise has been around for years and is probably the most popular game franchise in the world, what I'm saying is that it's so big that even non-traditional gamers trust in it which goes a long way when it comes to these types of consumers purchasing software, and Wii sports is a given considering it came with the system, and Wii-fit isn't even technically a game.

farnham said:
i love it how 6 of the top 10 games are on the wii and still everyone claims that the wii cant sell software..

more like third parties dropped the ball once again... and this was predictable looking at the chart of last year and the year before that..

I don't think any one here is disputing that Nintendo software sells. It's not just the Wii though. Look at first party sales compared to third party sales for games for the N64 and GameCube as well.

fortune_wii.jpg

boiled goose

good with gravy
ShockingAlberto said:

There's a number of people who will insist at great length that NMH2 deserves to be on another system because it just uses the classic controller. On the other hand, while someone like you may say Dead Space Extraction plays to the Wii's strengths, while I think it ignores the Wii's ability to do a normal third person game pretty well.

the sad thing is that the awesomeness of third person pointer games will be praised once these games come out for PS3 Gem or till next gen...

-Pyromaniac- said:
Uncharted 1 and 2 as well no? Also killzone 2. I'm sure there is more.

Uncharted 1 (and Motorstorm) would probably be over 1 million if NPD counted bundles, bu they don't so no on that. Uncharted 2 is at 950k according to NPD and over 1 million according to SCEA's own internal tracker. Killzone 2 was over 600k for its first 2 months, it might be over 1 million now, but no one knows for sure (unless they have access to NPD)

Stumpokapow said:
Fun facts;

Worldwide
This gen's first place system is outpacing last gen's first place system
This gen's second place system is outpacing last gen's second place system--in fact, it's outsold it.
This gen's third place system is outpacing last gen's third place system--in fact, it's outsold it.

US only
This gen's second place system is outpacing last gen's second place system--in fact, it's outsold it.
This gen's third place system is outpacing last gen's third place system--it'll outsell it in the next 2-3 months.

I think the PS3 already outsold last gen's second place system WW. What are the US LTD for the GC and Xbox compared to the PS3?

Jtyettis said:
:lol

Yup, I was wrong for December, but 50k difference for the month I'm still not sure MS is that worried at this point considering they still outsold them by ~400k for the year, and still maintain 7.5 million lead in the US. They have a strong piece of SW coming out of the gate this month which will in fact help and longer term they have some very good exclusives this year. Will they drop the price again this year like they did in 2008, sure. They will respond to Sony's price cut and redesign like they should with at least a decent price cut and HW. Again, MS is turning profit on each piece of HW unlike Sony so I'm not sure they have to cut the price just yet either and the real question is when they cut the price will it take another year or two for Sony to respond in full.

Have a source for that?

amtentori said:
I have a huge backlog of quality wii games to play through. Because I am informed, I don't care if these niche releases light the sales charts or not... it is better for me because i can pick um up for cheap later.

I think you just want RE4 wii edition 2 which wii will probably never get unfortunately...
or a proper sequel to Madden wii 2007... but oh well....

I have all those games too (and don't care for RE4 or the RE series.)
What I'm saying is, instead of third parties bitching about their games not selling, they try to make games that WILL sell on the Wii.
Nintendo seems to have done it rather easily, but third parties just fail.

Onesimos

Lillster said:
Ladies and gentlemen, we are now at the dawn of a Nintendo golden age.

I think Nintendo's "golden age" has passed years ago; currently it is in its renaissance. The Nintendo 64 and GameCube eras were the medieval period.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
OldJadedGamer said:
I don't think any one here is disputing that Nintendo software sells.

And I don't see any compelling reason why 3rd party sales are being discussed at this time- there was no Wii game released the last 3-4 months that could reasonably be expected to chart in this months top 10, which gives me a feeling that the only reason 3rd party struggles on Wii are being discussed is to discredit the success it achieved this month.

FrankT

AranhaHunter said:
Uncharted 1 (and Motorstorm) would probably be over 1 million if NPD counted bundles, bu they don't so no on that. Uncharted 2 is at 950k according to NPD and over 1 million according to SCEA's own internal tracker. Killzone 2 was over 600k for its first 2 months, it might be over 1 million now, but no one knows for sure (unless they have access to NPD)

I think the PS3 already outsold last gen's second place system WW. What are the US LTD for the GC and Xbox compared to the PS3?

Have a source for that?

Xbox was over 15 million LTD in the US iirc. Yea I do have a source it's from their last earnings report, but I will see if I can hunt it down.

lowrider007 said:
The Mario franchise has been around for years and is probably the most popular game franchise in the world, what I'm saying is that it's so big that even non-traditional gamers trust in it which goes a long way when it comes to these types of consumers purchasing software, and Wii sports is a given considering it came with the system, and Wii-fit isn't even technically a game.

that was why I bolded the ones that are brand new franchises this generation. obviously Mario is a well-known name that has been around for a long time.

But with the others, that's not true. Sure, Wii Sports came with the Wii, but Nintendo had to still sell the Wii to them, didn't they? How far have we come that Wii Sports selling well was a "given"? Do we need to pull out the Wii-revealed thread again?

Nintendo must have done SOMETHING to get your parents and grandparents to want a Wii and to want things like Wii Fit, right?

stupei

lowrider007 said:

Zachack said:
Well, I look at the Top 10 and see a million units of Wii Play and not-a-million units of Super Mario Galaxy. It's disgraceful.

I love NPD day. :lol

Opiate

stupei said:
I'd be happy to have a second DS. That would actually be awesome. The problem is that those Japanese developers who make games for the DS are all busy doing that and ignoring consoles.

Which is why I specified Western support.

This really wasn't my point, though. I'm not arguing that the DS is a bad system, I'm arguing that its support from Western third parties has been very weak and yet nobody complains about it because they're used ot it. The Game Boy was in the same position.

What I'm suggesting is that you begin to think of the Wii's situation like people do the DS'. Regardless of whether you like the systems or not, nobody in these forums comes in every month and proclaims "But... how could they ignore the DS! It sells tons of software and is really cheap to develop for!"

People just accept it. And now, I'm asking people to do the same for the Wii. I'm not asking you to admit that the Wii is a third party failure, I'm just asking you to accept that, regardless of how many opportunities may have been missed, third parties aren't going to be taking advantage of them.

Tiktaalik

Wow even with the Mario branding Mario and Sonic at the Winter Olympic Games did much, much worse than I thought it would. 1 million including the DS and Wii? Meh.

schuelma said:
And I don't see any compelling reason why 3rd party sales are being discussed at this time- there was no Wii game released the last 3-4 months that could reasonably be expected to chart in this months top 10, which gives me a feeling that the only reason 3rd party struggles on Wii are being discussed is to discredit the success it achieved this month.

Or some of us fell into the trap that is replying to AceBandage who appears to have a mental block on when he has been proven completely wrong over and over.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
AranhaHunter said:

All numbers approximate because I am doing napkin math
PS2: 45.0 million
XBX: 14.5 million
GC: 11.8 million

Wii: 27.0 million - outpaced but not yet passed PS2.
360: 18.6 million - passed XBX
PS3: 11.0 million - outpaced but not yet passed GC

Cheers.

And yes, worldwide both the PS3 and the 360 have outsold both the GameCube and the Xbox OG.

stupei

Opiate said:
Which is why I specified Western support.

This really wasn't my point, though. I'm not arguing that the DS is a bad system, I'm arguing that its support from Western third parties has been very weak and yet nobody complains about it because they're used ot it. The Game Boy was in the same position.

What I'm suggesting is that you begin to think of the Wii's situation like people do the DS'. Regardless of whether you like the systems or not, nobody in these forums comes in every month and proclaims "But... how could they ignore the DS! It sells tons of software and is really cheap to develop for!"

People just accept it. And now, I'm asking people to do the same for the Wii. I'm not asking you to admit that the Wii is a third party failure, I'm just asking you to accept that, regardless of how many opportunities may have been missed, third parties aren't going to be taking advantage of them.

I understand what you're saying. And I already do hope to be able to think of the Wii largely as I do the DS, which is fine with me because the DS is possibly the best platform for gaming of this generation. My point is that Western developers do not support the DS and Japanese developers are starting to only support consoles by targeting the West. Where does that leave room for the Wii?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Soneet said:
Hint: I think I have more rights to project my taste as the Wii userbase than you, because I'm a Wii-only owner dying for real games. Yes I do fucking want MH3 and NMH2. And IMO it's so incredibly obvious why.
As a Wii-only "gamer" I think you are in a far smaller minority than I am.

Puncture said:
Jedi, what in the fuck is a HD like game.. That makes no fucking sense at all, say it aloud and think that through, it makes no goddamn sense.
I'm trying to avoid using the stupid "hardcore" term. I'm not really succeeding, am I?

ShockingAlberto said:

Would a normal third person game be playing to the Wii's strengths? Possibly, but also probably not. For example, a hypothetical Resident Evil 4-2 could work really well but at the same time it wouldn't really be using the Wii's strengths outside of minor Wiimote implementation. Not that I'm suggesting that all Wii games must adhere to unique motion controllers and such. Its just that a Wii game which only offers a traditional experiece but with Wii controllers will have a hard time competing with PS360 titles and such.

I think Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is a good example of how to make a traditional game and yet also play to the Wii's strengths. It uses the Wii's unique features, has a traditional gameplay sense to it and yet still wouldn't be as effective on another system (which I guess we'll find out when the PSP/PS2 version hits!).

Deku

Banned
This is really one strange generation.

Wii 3rd party talk is taken seriously on forums and almost as vindication by some, but I really don't think the publishers by and large are very happy.

We've come from the PS2 generation where EA was making money hands over fists pumping out mostly garbage to one where they keep losing money.

The industry had laid of 12,000 people since 2008, studios are closing left and right.

The old paradigm of 'is the AAA titles sellign on X platform' no longer matter. The costs are largely so high that only the largest titles make their money back in proportions publishers are used to in the PS2 era.

And really, the only publishers who have ridden this generation well are well diversified Japanese publishers like Square-Enix, Capcom, Konami and Atlus.

They not only have their hands on every hardware pie, (so does EA) they've seemingly known how to navigate the treacherous waters of each platform knowing which platform for emphasize and which to put on a holding pattern while simultaneously giving all platforms some support. EA on the other hand never did. They never took the DS market seriously for example, whereas Square-Enix and Capcom has made a veritable fortune off of it. Releasing High Quality games.

That's probably the right model to look at going forward, rather than the old arguments listing which third party games aren't selling or how much Modern Warfare 2 has sold. I can tell you right now every publisher hates Activision the same way they hate Nintendo for sucking all the air out of the HD markets with one single release, and previously, with doing the same with Guitar Hero.

schuelma said:
Why else is it being discussed?
Because its an argument that wont die so its going to come up at every turn. Also the 360 and ps3 didn't do significantly better than one another to stir up either site to tout their victory.

Ranger X

WOW.
Great month for everybody.

BUT... I've never seen this much sales for one company. Dear GOD Nintendo. Holyshit they are printing printers that prints money now.

Also, MEGA LOL @ Reggie being right about NSMBWii sales...

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
demosthenes said:
Aww, I missed NPD day while @ work :lol
You lucked out, I guess. Someone posted NSFW on the front page.

What's amazing about these numbers is that retail overall, including electronics, were down this holiday season. Maybe gaming is seen as the best bang for the buck in this recessionary economy.

Tiktaalik said:
Wow even with the Mario branding Mario and Sonic at the Winter Olympic Games did much, much worse than I thought it would. 1 million including the DS and Wii? Meh.

You call that bad? The game hasn't been doing as well as the original game pretty much all around the globe, but that doesn't mean it did "meh". The Winter Olympics haven't even started yet. I can bet that there will be a resurgence in sales in February when they are on.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Road said:
[PS3] Assassin's Creed II - ~417,000

If true, this doesn't seem to add up with Sony's PR release.

UC 2 - 950k
AC 2 - 865k (448k + 417k)

Top 3 PS3 games in 09 according to Sony:

1. MW2
2. Madden 10
3. AC2

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Tiktaalik said:
Mario's positive branding isn't strong enough to beat Sonic's negative branding. :D

Soneet said:
Let's not dismiss Wii's third party support 'till we at least get MH3 and NMH2 in the western market okay?

NMH2 will bomb because of no-support from Ubi, they have no clue how to sell it.

MH was never big in the West to begin with.

Calcaneus said:
With the DS still selling like this, I guess it would be a good time for me to get one.

i am buying a DS LL to replace my DS Light that replaced my DS Phat. Would you like to buy my DS Light?

stupei

Stopsign said:
You call that bad? The game hasn't been doing as well as the original game pretty much all around the globe, but that doesn't mean it did "meh". The Winter Olympics haven't even started yet. I can bet that there will be a resurgence in sales in February when they are on.

Well and generally speaking, Americans don't care about the Winter Olympics the way they care about Summer. It was always likely to sell less.

Just a few points about third party retardedness:

They're not really in a very good position financially, and that comes because rising development costs and the blockbuster model. This means that people saying that they should make AC2 level games etc for the Wii are *completely* missing the point - it's *exactly* the model that's producing AC2 and MW2 that's fucked up. This model produces a few large scale successes and lots of large scale failures - sometimes it works out ok, other times, not. Overall, it's clearly not working out, except for a few smarter (and luckier) publishers.

This situation was also very easy to anticipate (even I expected this and I'm no expert), so third parties with actual good "leadership" (aka not managers jumping around different businesses but people who know something about the actual market) should not have put all their money in one basket. They should have continued to support the PS2 (which was doing very well) and other, cheaper platforms (handhelds, downloadable stuff etc), and experimented with different business models, genres etc. They probably could not have anticipated the Wii, but they should have been happy for a chance to be able to continue PS2 scale stuff. It might not have worked of course, but that was a pretty good extra chance and they quite obviously didn't even try to take it. What they did was the typical ignorant manager response of copying successful stuff until the market's saturated (not just on the Wii, see music games also...and no, CoD type stuff won't keep growing forever either).

Now, regardless whether the Wii did or didn't work out, it was obvious that the HD stuff would lead to more consolidation, fewer products etc, unless of course the (traditional) market could expand significantly. Huge software sales for huge products is actually *bad news* if the total money spent on products by consumers doesn't increase at the same rate. It's not like the Wii is a saviour for third parties (definitely not if this only depends on Nintendo) - it's more about high cost development fucking everything up predictably.

The reason for this is imo because of the preference of western game makers for technology driven stuff, which is demonstrated by the premature introduction of HD, all the current talk about 3D or the Natal approach and its reception. There are indeed a few companies who do well with technology, like Epic for example, but it's obviously impossible for all companies to be like them. Even Blizzard, arguably one of the highest quality Western developers, and inargubly the one that's doing the best financially, isn't technology focused. Not to say the repeated demonstration of lack of neutrality towards platforms (thus lack of professionalism), and the wish for Nintendo to start doing badly already :-/

All in all...the industry is retarded. It's losing money, the whole HD generation will most probably be in the red overall (Sony's already at the end of their PS1 profits iirc), and they have noone else to blame but themselves. If you're losing money and someone else is making unprecedented profits in the same market, you're statistically retarded (as this is only really true for large producers putting out many products and not single-game developers who can easily fail based on luck, even with the best product in the world).

Stumpokapow said:
Fun facts;

Worldwide
This gen's third place system is outpacing last gen's third place system--in fact, it's outsold it.

US only
This gen's third place system is outpacing last gen's third place system--it'll outsell it in the next 2-3 months.

This doesn't mean much, as the scale of development for 2nd and 3rd place seems to rely on them outpacing last gen's 1st place system.

Top Bottom