• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For December 2010 [Up5: Some Kinect/Move Data]

TunaLover

ShockingAlberto said:
The development of GT5 is really just part of the problem.

Sony's total mismanagement of its release is actually kind of mind boggling.

From a comercial stand point yes, from a creative POV I love when Sony give free reign even to most risky projects.

V_Ben

Banned
TunaLover said:
From a comercial stand point yes, from a creative POV I love when Sony give free reign even to most risky projects.

Thing is, GT shouldn't have been a risky project! :lol

Kenka

So mods, will we still get some info tonight ?

One thing that struck me :

Nintendo PF said:
“Nintendo has sold more game systems than anyone else for five years running,” said Charlie Scibetta, Nintendo of America’s senior director of Corporate Communications. “Of the quarter billion hardware systems sold in the United States during the past 10 years, Nintendo sold more than half. We look forward to bringing fun new experiences to consumers when Nintendo 3DS launches in March.”

This includes the entire PS2 reign. Holy shit.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
tzare said:
GT5 has been out of control (like PS3 was when launched). that is how i see it, it is the last icon of those bad desicions years ago.
Great point. GT5 epitomizes Sony's problems this generation. Over budget, behind schedule, and still not ready for primetime. Just like when the PS3 came out.

tzare

Teetris said:
Which leads to people saying stupid shit like PD/Sony going through troubles in the future

Hence the other data
well, had GT5 had a deadline and releaased early november, maybe would have sold the same number, but it would have charted higher and that would have helped the game too. Sony's weird management and desicions made it split and chart lower in november and not charting in december. That is an example of something that a right management would have not allowed.

TunaLover

V_Ben said:
Thing is, GT shouldn't have been a risky project! :lol
I was thinking in other risky projects =P
But the point still, Sony isn't conservative when it comes to give infinite budget to their first party games.

TunaLover said:
Well, not even "this game needs to be out this winter."

I mean stuff like changing the date within the same month.

DMeisterJ

Banned
tzare said:
well, had GT5 had a deadline and releaased early november, maybe would have sold the same number, but it would have charted higher and that would have helped the game too. Sony's weird management and desicions made it split and chart lower in november and not charting in december. That is an example of something that a right management would have not allowed.

Why does the chart positioning matter? Shouldn't the concern be on unit sales?

Busaiku

Kenka said:
GBA was almost as big as PS2 in the US.
DS is bigger, and Wii could end up being bigger (it's tracking far ahead).

So it's not that surprising.

GavinGT

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
The problem is people talking about the future of one developer/company based solely on NPD data.

I think it's fair to look at these (lack of) sales numbers and say that Polyphony doesn't have much of a future selling their games in the US.

tzare said:

Or maybe we as a country don't care about Gran Turismo any more.

snap0212

RSTEIN said:
The problem is people are talking about non-NPD data in a NPD thread.
Because some people fail to see that there's a significant amount of games sold that are nowhere to be found in NPD's numbers. People talk about how company X didn't sell enough units to cover the development costs, for example.

If you want to talk about how a game is doing in the US, NPD's numbers are enough. If you want to talk about how a company (that is selling their games worldwide)is doing, then you can't just ignore other territories. :)

Shurs

GavinGT said:
I think it's fair to look at these (lack of) sales numbers and say that Polyphony doesn't have much of a future selling their games in the US.

Wouldn't you say that about all racing sims, though?

RSTEIN said:
Great point. GT5 epitomizes Sony's problems this generation. Over budget, behind schedule, and still not ready for primetime. Just like when the PS3 came out.

I absolutely adore GT5 but that statement is right on.
Well said.

I can't believe the Wii is still selling that many units. Makes me sick yo.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
snap0212 said:
Because some people fail to see that there's a significant amount of games sold that are nowhere to be found in NPD's numbers. People talk about how company X didn't sell enough units to cover the development costs, for example.

If you want to talk about how a game is doing in the US, NPD's numbers are enough. If you want to talk about how a company (that is selling their games worldwide)is doing, then you can't just ignore other territories. :)
Well seeing as this is the NPD thread, let's stick to NPD numbers, hmmmmmm?

V_Ben

Banned
RSTEIN said:

Ding. It'll be interesting to see how GT6 plays out, and how soon they announce it. We know they're working on it, but how much they learn will be interesting to see.

tzare

i like it too, but now with such a delicate IP.Maybe their only IP that is 'huge' (not anymore outside europe). I mean, TLG will sell way less but people will be pleased. GT5 has left many people somehow disappointed.

I'll give you another example of awful PD management: GT PSP. Announced before PSP launched, released in a hurry when it did matter anymore for psp owners, and with an average game.
One thing is freedom, and another is what PD has been able to do (because someone allowed them)

Why does the chart positioning matter? Shouldn't the concern be on unit sales?
well, PR stuff, internet talk. everything helps or doesn't. Not that is that important, but when you are not the leader anymore, every little thing matters.

FrankT

Dollar Sales
Code:
Dollar Sales	 	                                Dec '09   Dec'10  CHG  2009    2010    CHG

Total Video Game Sales (New Physical Channel)           $5.55B    $5.06B  -9%  $19.70B $18.58B -6%

Video Games Hardware                                    $2.19B    $1.84B  -16% $7.19B  $6.29B  -13%

Video Games Software (Console+Portable - New Physical)  $2.57B    $2.37B  -8%  $9.92B  $9.36B  -6%

Video Games Accessories                                 $778.4MM $853.2MM 10%  $2.59B  $2.93B  13%

Total Software Sales - (Console+Portable+PC New Phys))  $2.67B    $2.53B  -5%  $10.60B $10.06B -5%

Not so hot year. Take out Move and Kinect and it's really not so hot. RDR the real standout in that top ten this year imo.

Due to hit the market in 2011: the highly anticipated game title “Gears of War 3,” new Kinect entertainment experiences such as Hulu Plus and Avatar Kinect and more.

From a hardcore gamer's perspective this doesn't give much confidence at this point MS. One of the reasons last year went so well was a solid line-up all year. Should be interesting to see how they keep up this year.

Kenka

Busaiku said:
GBA was almost as big as PS2 in the US.
DS is bigger, and Wii could end up being bigger (it's tracking far ahead).

So it's not that surprising.

You're right. It's just that the PS2 was so mighty. I mean, it really was an überflieger of its own. Nintendo truly set an era or big proportions with their 3-hit combo (GBA, NDS, WII).

Celine

Kenka said:
So mods, will we still get some info tonight ?

One thing that struck me :

But DS already outsold PS2 and then there are the Wii and GBA reigns.

TunaLover said:

Heavy Rain is a risky game. The Last Guardian is a risky game. GT5 should have been a no brainer.

1) Make Cars
2) Make Tracks
3) ???????
4) Profit

It just seemed to take PD too long after GT4 shipped to get their focus on the game. IIRC they spent a year or so developing a GT4Online revision, then there was that whole GTHD fiasco of microtransactioning up-rezzed GT4 assets that went down like a lead balloon and was subsequently shelved, the on, then off, then suddenly back on and punted out the door GT PSP faffing about and I suspect that the intention for GT5 (the final version that they actually put out) had been to have all car models be up to the premium standard then they realised they weren't going to have time to reach that without extensively delaying the game yet again and filled out the numbers with the standard models.

DMeisterJ

Banned
tzare said:
i like it too, but now with such a delicate IP.Maybe their only IP that is 'huge' (not anymore outside europe). I mean, TLG will sell way less but people will be pleased. GT5 has left many people somehow disappointed.

I'll give you another example of awful PD management: GT PSP. Announced before PSP launched, released in a hurry when it did matter anymore for psp owners, and with an average game.
One thing is freedom, and another is what PD has been able to do (because someone allowed them)

God yes, GT PSP was handled horribly. I mean, I know it wasn't in development for 6 years, but the fact that it got left on the back-burner for so long and not even mentioned was a huge issue, and things like that should never be allowed.

RSTEIN said:
As far as Sony franchises are concerned, GT5 wouldn't epitomize an "excessive budget." GoW 3 supposedly had a 50-55 million budget so they are basically in the same ball park. GT5 will likely sell much more in the long run if it hasn't already doubled its worldwide sales.

From most budget figures I see reported (which is typically of AAA games so it would be skewed), GT5's budget isn't extreme in anyway. It's probably only a third of the marketing budget alone of some games.

Jtyettis said:
Dollar Sales
Code:
Dollar Sales	 	                                Dec '09   Dec'10  CHG  2009    2010    CHG

Total Video Game Sales (New Physical Channel)           $5.55B    $5.06B  -9%  $19.70B $18.58B -6%

Video Games Hardware                                    $2.19B    $1.84B  -16% $7.19B  $6.29B  -13%

Video Games Software (Console+Portable - New Physical)  $2.57B    $2.37B  -8%  $9.92B  $9.36B  -6%

Video Games Accessories                                 $778.4MM $853.2MM 10%  $2.59B  $2.93B  13%

Total Software Sales - (Console+Portable+PC New Phys))  $2.67B    $2.53B  -5%  $10.60B $10.06B -5%

Not so hot year. Take out Move and Kinect and it's really not so hot. RDR the real standout in that top ten this year imo.
Was there data released for Move?

duk

Banned
Hardware
Nintendo DS - 2.5 Million (-24%)
Wii - 2.36 Million (-38%)
Xbox 360 - 1.86 Million (+42%, best ever sales by 420k units)
PS3 - 1.21 Million (-11%)

- Nice job ninty coming in the last min to win YTD but down YOY for Wii, but numbers are down a large amount YOY
- Great job MS this year, 360 brand still growing and selling STRONG. Coulda win it if it was not supply constrained. With kinect next year don't see this slowing down for at least a year, maybe 2.
- PS3 just plain bad, there can be no spin with GT5 (what horrible mis-managemnet) not even placing top 10! What a clusterfuck of a generation it's been for Sony. Maybe just maybe next year with all the heavy hitters coming out, we'll see growth... these titles deserve to sell more.

2011 - I see 360+kinect coming out on top of Wii. PS3 growing a bit due to exclusives and mandatory price drop. Move to be an afterthought.

Baki

Sony saved themselves this December by having much, much better promotions and deals than in November.

My mind is still boggled by the fact that Sony had poor bundles/promotions prior to December. They should've expected that the Kinect launch month + COD: BLOPS launch month would dent them had they not prepared half-decent bundles. Sure, they can't do price drops but good bundles is well within their reach.

So only 11 million before Wii2? :lol
yeah, yeah arbitrary numbers from PR speak

2011 E3 reveal, 2012 release is more and more likely

be interesting to see how MS and Sony react if Nintendo does act first

tzare

Unidentified said:
As far as Sony franchises are concerned, GT5 wouldn't epitomize an "excessive budget." GoW 3 supposedly had a 50-55 million budget so they are basically in the same ball park. GT5 will likely sell much more in the long run if it hasn't already doubled its worldwide sales.

From most budget figures I see reported (which is typically of AAA games so it would be skewed), GT5's budget isn't extreme in anyway. It's probably only a third of the marketing budget alone of some games.
i don't know about the budget for GT5, i always read that PD where 100 employees and that is why it took so long.
Whatever reason is the one, there has been a bad management , and they need to fix that.
Or maybe we as a country don't care about Gran Turismo any more.
i am spanish, i can't talk about US, but despite selling well here, very well, the buzz ain't what it used to be. Racing games , like fighters, are not king anymore. FPS , Mario, some casual games like Just Dance (which has been doing great in UK for a long time). I think Forza 3 didn't sell great too. So relying on a genre that is not mainstream anymore, is a bit strange.

Sony saved themselves this December by having much, much better promotions and deals than in November.
well i guess those deals are like dropping price, more or less. And i guess sony tried to skip them in november but when saw the results had to reconsider that. They need to stay in the black as much as possible i guess.

plufim

duk said:
2011 - I see 360+kinect coming out on top of Wii. PS3 growing a bit due to exclusives and mandatory price drop. Move to be an afterthought.
That didn't help them at all this year, and they had a few big ones.

Rainier

Amazing numbers for JD2 and DK, glad to see PS3 clear at least a million.

GT5 :(

ccNUP.jpg

FrankT

plufim said:

It will need a cut and maybe slim-slim, but then again they will all be due for a cut this year. Unless MS somehow pulls out another hat-trick for a 3rd year without a cut. I don't see it happening at this point.

tzare said:
yeah, not saying that they are not happy. Just that when Kaz (or PD) pretend to make GT6, as they will, sony will be more restrictive. Because is not about sellling more consoles than MS, it is just about selling them, just that. And Gt series used to help PS brand sales, because they where good games, launched when they could make both objectives possible: profit with the game and sell consoles. GT5 has been out of control (like PS3 was when launched). that is how i see it, it is the last icon of those bad desicions years ago. Even if sales are good, GT has lost part of its former popularity, and that is also beacuse it took forever to be released. And that may be worst, regarding future games, than selling 500k units more or less today. They have allowed Forza to become a rival because they weren't there.
The problem is a PS3 GT game just naturally takes a long time to create. Like I posted many times before, Kaz even said this himself:

There's no question that the level of quality and attention to detail in the painstaking recreations of real cars that Gran Turismo is known for must take a lot of work, but Yamauchi was quick to explain just how much work is really necessary. "In GT and GT2, both for PS1, a designer spent a day to model a car. In GT3 and GT4, for PS2, the same worker spent a month modeling the same car due to the increased amount of polygons. In GT5 for PS3, they require six months to do the same job," Yamauchi explained.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2007/12/kazunori-yamauchi-dishes-more-gran-turismo-5-details.ars

When it takes 6 times longer to model a car on PS3 when compared to PS2, that explains longer development time there. It wasn't really a mis-managed project, just that developing a car takes a really long time and expensive.

Also, GT3 was a huge game because there were not many simulation racers, not many great games on PS2 at the time, so it became a big thing. GT4 from what I remember didn't even sell half of what GT3 did, and GT PSP didn't really sell in NA. GT still continues to remain popular in Europe, which Sony pretty much knows themselves that's where GT sales come from.

cacildo

13 pages and people still talking about Gran Turismo 5. That´s a fail if i ever seen one.

Hating Gran Turismo is one of these things that enter into the "I thought it was just me" category

Just like "Loving Kirby" and "Loving metroid". I really thought it was just me.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Even if GT5 sold only one copy, as long as that copy was me, that's all that matters. That game is amazing and pretty much offers infinite content. I won't need another GT for another half a decade. Of course from a business standpoint for Sony, it was definitely a giant mess up. I'm glad WoW charted so high. It's not the best expansion ever, but it still brought back a bit of magic to the game that I thought was gone.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Alienshogun said:
StarCraft 2 and WoW Cataclysm not even on there, and got beat by Halo Reach too. :lol

Please spare us the ignorance-fueled lol emoticons.

duk

Banned
plufim said:

True... I guess the tastes of consumers are changing, they aren't buying the traditional sony exclusive games (which some are fantastic)?

Hopefully 2011 Sony will make it more interesting. It all goes back to $599 however, fugged up from the get go.

Top Bottom