• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For December 2010 [Up5: Some Kinect/Move Data]

test_account

XP-39C²
When Sony had a 25% YOY drop in November they were in trouble because November was one of the biggest months when it comes to sales, seeing that Nintendo has a 38% YOY drop in December, which is the biggest month when it comes to sales (at least in the US), does that mean that Nintendo is in trouble? :/
Of course i see the difference, it's just a joke hehe :)

Good to see that Epic Mickey is doing well! :)

V_Arnold

test_account said:
When Sony had a 25% YOY drop in November they were in trouble, seeing that Nintendo has a 38% YOY drop in December, does that mean that Nintendo is in trouble? :/

The joke is that you can drop 38% (and to a certain extent, YES, being in a trouble) and still stay at first place or you could drop 25% when you were actually fighting for becoming the 2nd. So staying at first with the drops and without any new model/pricedrop cant be compared to the last placed home system dropping yoy 25%.

WrikaWrek said:
Was expecting more from Xbox 360.
I'm guessing shortages pushed that number under 2 million. And yeah, the shortages are pretty real. When I bought my Kinect+console I got lucky and got the last 250gb bundle the store had. I just had a friend, who wanted to buy a 360, look for a standalone 250gb 360 for about 2 weeks before he found one in the Toronto area.

Withnail said:
So why does the MS PR mention Gears 3?

Don't get me wrong, the Sony PR is terrible. But they have every right to be pleased with the reception of LBP2 and bring it up as a success for the platform.
I wasn't defending Nintendo or Microsoft, just answering your question about Sony. Obviously they're all using end of year NPD to pivot into their 2011 PR to some degree, but when your main bullet point for December 2010 is the metacritic score for a game that hasn't yet released (one of the 10 best on the system, lol) I'd say it puts your PR in a special category of its own. It smacks of desperation.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Psychotext said:
~30% higher than their best ever month, and you expected more? You've got some crazy expectations! :D

360 was on a roll and people were expecting above 2 million.

I don't buy that shortage shit either, it's the 5th year of the system or something. How can there be shortages. If there are then MS is dumb as shit no?

What's the point of increasing demand if you can't meet that demand?

jarosh

wow. 1.32 million people bought epic mickey. i feel sorry for them. that's one "high profile" wii game that really deserved to bomb. at least dkcr apparently sold better still.

WrikaWrek said:
I don't buy that shortage shit either, it's the 5th year of the system or something. How can there be shortages. If there are then MS is dumb as shit no?
Well yes, very much "dumb as shit"... mostly by virtue of providing too many Kinect bundles, and not enough standalones.

test_account

XP-39C²
V_Arnold said:
The joke is that you can drop 38% (and to a certain extent, YES, being in a trouble) and still stay at first place or you could drop 25% when you were actually fighting for becoming the 2nd. So staying at first with the drops and without any new model/pricedrop cant be compared to the last placed home system dropping yoy 25%.
True, but from some of the comments i read back in November, i understood it like it was "damn, a 25% YOY drop doesnt look good for Sony" and then not much more was said (unless i missed some follow up replies). The joke for me was then that if Sony was in trouble based on the 25% YOY drop alone, in one of the biggest month of the year, then surely Nintendo is in trobule when the Wii dropped 38% YOY in the biggest month of the year? ;)

But seriously, a percentage drop on it's own doesnt really mean much if you're in trouble or not, at least in my opinion. Even if the Wii had a 90% YOY drop in December, and if the Wii still sold about 2.3 million units this December, i would not decribe it as Nintendo is in trouble. What matters the most to me is how many units that were sold :)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
test_account said:
When Sony had a 25% YOY drop in November they were in trouble because November was one of the biggest months when it comes to sales, seeing that Nintendo has a 38% YOY drop in December, which is the biggest month when it comes to sales (at least in the US), does that mean that Nintendo is in trouble? :/

I wouldn't say Nintendo is "in trouble" on the overall, but the Wii has a challenging 2011 ahead of it and 2010 was a relatively challenging year. Many would say that this makes sense, because consoles generally begin to decline around year 4, but I'm not sure that logic holds true this generation given the PS3's late start and the 360's recent pick-up.

Road

Souldriver said:
Sony's PR is just so sad and funny.

And I am totally reading that highlight as: "Sony is the only company to see a rise of EXACTLY 32% in software sales.... MS saw a 44% rise and Nintendo a 28% rise, BUT NOT 32!!!".
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it doesn't mean that at all...

Sony has to talk about LBP2 now because they won't have anything better to say next month and Metacritic is already going down.

Top PlayStation Highlights
- PS3 was only console to have 32% increase in software sales YOY.
- LittleBigPlanet 2 currently has a Metacritic score of 94, which makes it one of the Top 10 PS3 games of all times.

SCEA
Since PlayStation Move was introduced in September, millions of consumers and gamers have joined the PlayStation family. The key to Move's long-term success is developer and publisher support; enabling PlayStation to offer the most diverse line up of motion and 3D games. The combination of innovative hardware and a relentless line up of blockbuster titles is why the PS3 is perhaps the only console that grows more valuable over time. As we come out of the gates in 2011, PlayStation is brimming with new games to whet the appetite for all gamers, like next week's highly anticipated launch of LittleBigPlanet 2, which received top scores. And right around the corner, Killzone 3 is positioned to set a new standard in hardcore gaming as the first AAA title to utilize both 3D and Move functionality. According to the December NPD, PlayStation is the only console company to show year over year software growth with an impressive 32% increase in its sales. Since launching four months ago, PlayStation Move has introduced 50 supported titles, with close to 20 titles still on the horizon, underscoring PlayStation's steady expansion of software titles to create what is without doubt the most exciting line-up of motion control gaming options available to consumers today. We look forward to the year ahead as we continue to deliver the kind of compelling, innovative and diverse content experiences that have kept the PlayStation brand synonymous with premier entertainment for over 15 years.
-- Patrick Seybold, Sr. Director of Corporate Communications at SCEA

Holy crap, that's just so sad I don't even think I can laugh at it. How utterly miserable (Oh what the hell! :lol)

Epic Mickey just bitch slapped all the nay sayers who keep saying that hardcore, 3rd party titles can't sell on Wii. The fact that it managed this in the same timeframe as DKCR's release, and after years of neglect from 3rd parties, is nothing short of amazing.

Speaking of which, DKCR is on track to be a 10 million + seller world wide (just as I predicted). It's gonna have some monster legs over the coming year or so! Just like NSMB Wii.

It'll outsell the entire Metroid Prime series for sure. I just hope that Retro don't get turned into a DKCR factory now.

Edit: WTF?! WHERE HAVE THE SMILEYS GONE?! NOOOOOOO!!!!!!

szaromir

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
I wouldn't say Nintendo is "in trouble" on the overall, but the Wii has a challenging 2011 ahead of it and 2010 was a relatively challenging year. Many would say that this makes sense, because consoles generally begin to decline around year 4, but I'm not sure that logic holds true this generation given the PS3's late start and the 360's recent pick-up.
Wii's been profitable since day 1, so Nintendo can launch the successor whenever they feel like. If they invested in online infrastructure a little, early 2012 Wii 2 launch would surely undercut 360's and PS3's legs.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Glad to see DKCR chart. I'm hoping it has big legs as it more than deserves the sales.

test_account

XP-39C²
Stumpokapow said:
Speaking about December 2010 alone, i'm not surprised that the Wii sales is down due to the huge December 2009 sales. I would be quite surprised if the Wii sold like 3.8 million units in December 2010 at least, so i dont think that Nintendo is in trouble based on this :) How does the Wii YTD in 2010 compare to the YTD in 2009 by the way?

But ye, it should be interesting to see how the Wii (and the other systems as well for that matter) will do in 2011 :)

So glad to see Mickey doing so well! :D I wonder what Sonic Colors Wii sold?

And yeah, what happened to the smilies? I guess they were disabled due to possible abuse?

Edit: Yep.

SCEA said:
According to the December NPD, PlayStation is the only console company to show year over year software growth with an impressive 32% increase in its sales.

Has this be verified yet? Microsoft and Nintendo had no year over year growth in software sales?

Celine

BowieZ said:
So when do you guys think Wii will reach Reggie's 45 million "we'll announce Wii 2" ballpark?

It has about 10 million to go.

2007 - 6.3M
2008 - 10.2M
2009 - 9.6
2010 - 7.1M
2011 - ???
2012 - ...

Is there ANY scenario under which it could reach 45 million before E³ 2012??
After the Wii successor is released on the market.

Withnail said:
So why does the MS PR mention Gears 3?

Don't get me wrong, the Sony PR is terrible. But they have every right to be pleased with the reception of LBP2 and bring it up as a success for the platform.

There is nothing wrong with mentioning LBP2. There is something wrong when one of the only 2 positive things they can put in their PR for the month/year is a game releasing in January.

infinityBCRT said:
I'm guessing shortages pushed that number under 2 million. And yeah, the shortages are pretty real. When I bought my Kinect+console I got lucky and got the last 250gb bundle the store had. I just had a friend, who wanted to buy a 360, look for a standalone 250gb 360 for about 2 weeks before he found one in the Toronto area.

If it's true that MS expects this continue through to February than that is a pretty big fuck up. You never know when momentum will shift in a different direction so they need to take advantage of the demand for the 360 right now.

AdventureRacing said:
There is nothing wrong with mentioning LBP2. There is something wrong when one of the only 2 positive things they can put in their PR for the month/year is a game releasing in January.

Quite.

Nothing wrong with looking ahead, but to almost completely ignore the previous year (software growth withstanding)...is telling.

mclem

Megadragon15 said:
Wasn't 2007-2010 also supposed to be the "Year(s) of the Playstation 3"?

Unfortunately, the year of the Playstation 3 was actually 1666. No-one noticed with that whole Great Fire Of London thing. All a bit tragic, really.

Mael said:
Absolutely delighted over Epic Mickey and DKCR!
The fact that in 1 month in the US it did better than Other M will ever do LTD worldwide also bring warmth
I'll stop talking about it promise when I sell the thing, promise it's this weekend I swear
Godspeed Mael. I despise Other M (can't even bring myself to mention the franchise it's supposed to be in anymore) every bit as much, but some are more dedicated than others.

I hope after DKCR Retro will be given an opportunity to turn their magic to a real 2D Metroid game again. Or any Metroid game, I don't care just so long as it isn't that.

WrikaWrek said:
360 was on a roll and people were expecting above 2 million.

What's the point of increasing demand if you can't meet that demand?

There was shortage where I am, all the stores were out of the 250gb model, some have the 4gb bundle but was about it. The demand just exceed their expectation, they even said that Kinect and 360 did better than they could have hope for.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
BladeoftheImmortal said:
So, what was GT4s first two NPD months?

Was posted quite a while back,

Metalmurphy said:
I think he meant previous GTs,

GT4 - 1.1M in 2 months
GT5 - 960k in 2 months

*edit* I should add that GT4 released in February and GT5 in November, before people get mad.

Plus I doubt that either the PS3 or 360 version of NFS Hot Pursuit independently outsold GT5.

Did we actually find out what the split was?

test_account said:

it means that the Wii has peaked.

it's got further to fall than the PS3 though, and Nintendo have the DS still outselling everything else, and they have a new piece of hardware coming out next month in japan, and the month after here.

Sony were in third place here in America and had been fighting for second place worldwide (which if you take out America they almost certainly have). for their sales to fall and the 360's to increase so much... that's obviously more of a problem than beating your opponents by less than you beat them last December.

but yeah, the Wii is now in decline. i just don't think you can stretch that to 'Nintendo are in trouble' since they had the two best selling consoles in December, and have a brand new system debuting soon.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Hero of Legend said:
So glad to see Mickey doing so well! :D I wonder what Sonic Colors Wii sold?

And yeah, what happened to the smilies? I guess they were disabled due to possible abuse?

Edit: Yep.

There was nothing more annoying than people spamming 10 smilies in a single post.

Mael said:
Unless it was a fitting reply to an obnoxious post I'd say
it's only a fitting reply if it comes from a half wit that doesn't think it important to actually explain why they're laughing at the post in question.

it's unimaginative and it adds nothing to the debate. an insult with a moments thought would add more to the discourse than 'i am laughing at you because you wrote something stupid'.

i hope 'herp derp' gets banned too. if i say something stupid, tell me why it was stupid, or at least use a little imagination to insult me.

Curufinwe

jarosh said:
wow. 1.32 million people bought epic mickey. i feel sorry for them. that's one "high profile" wii game that really deserved to bomb. at least dkcr apparently sold better still.

I feel happy for Warren Spector, but I'm shocked at how well it sold. I was sure it would bomb.

I figured Epic Mickey and DKCR both sold over a million once I saw that they both outsold the PS3 version of CoD. This is a pretty good time for a lot of young and old gamers when you remember that Sonic Colors, Goldeneye AND Kirby's epic yarn are out in the wild for holiday shopping.

I'm definitely surprised by the low second month for GT. I never followed the brand back in it's earlier days, but I expected a behemoth for the holidays. I guess they took too long to get the game out in a market where the racing genre is declining. Just dance and Dance central numbers are also pretty amazing. Harmonix has to be feeling fantastic now that they own the brand and are a private company.

Do we have PSP numbers? I may have skipped them earlier.
plagiarize said:
it means that the Wii has peaked.

but yeah, the Wii is now in decline. i just don't think you can stretch that to 'Nintendo are in trouble' since they had the two best selling consoles in December, and have a brand new system debuting soon.
Yeah, the situation the Wii is in is unnatural when you consider it's position as the leading hardware in terms of marketshare, but it's only natural for any system that has been starved of good third party content. If this generation stretches on(and the Microsoft numbers say they will imo) I can't imagine that third parties will just sit on their asses as Epic Mickey and Just dance dispel the myth that third party games don't sell on Nintendo consoles.

Dead Man

lowrider007 said:
Was posted quite a while back,

Plus I doubt that either the PS3 or 360 version of NFS Hot Pursuit independently outsold GT5.

Did we actually find out what the split was?
I'd be very interested in that.

Psychotext said:
Well yes, very much "dumb as shit"... mostly by virtue of providing too many Kinect bundles, and not enough standalones.
Pretty much, that's the danger of having mutiple SKUs. Nintendo missed the mark big time on Red Wii supply and I wouldn't be at all surprised if even the PS3 saw shortages of a specific SKU. But still, this is Xmas we're talking about here and I can't see massive amounts of Xmas shoppers passing on 360s if that's what they wanted to give as gifts just because they couldn't find a specific bundle. It would have an impact on after holiday sales though.
Hero of Legend said:
It's probably for the best but I'm sad to see the big grin get the axe too :(

Mael

plagiarize said:
it's only a fitting reply if it comes from a half wit that doesn't think it important to actually explain why they're laughing at the post in question.

it's unimaginative and it adds nothing to the debate. an insult with a moments thought would add more to the discourse than 'i am laughing at you because you wrote something stupid'.

i hope 'herp derp' gets banned too. if i say something stupid, tell me why it was stupid, or at least use a little imagination to insult me.

Except when you're replying to something that's so freaking stupid it's not even worth a reply but need to be pointed out for its stupidity.

Seriously at least it's not an outright insult, and well it's not different than replying with the jpeg of facepalm or something.

Mael

Haunted said:
Code:
L                OO         L               
L               O  O        L               
L              O    O       L               
L               O  O        L               
LLLLLLLLLLL      OO         LLLLLLLLLLL
yeah but they don't move like :lol did

btw I get that Epic Mickey's maker are pleased but did they comment on their performance?

Dead Man

plagiarize said:

It was also a fitting reply if the post was just funny...

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I hope they come back one day but I do agree that too many people recently were just using them as if they were slinging mud at someone rather than explaining their point of view, but that being said there are posts that deserve a light hearted <lol> now and again, funny gifs etc, I guess no more mass quoting with <lol> faces, Neogaf am serious.

Minimum character count in a post should be 5 characters.

The sooner we get rid of "this", the better. Way worse than laughing smiley IMO.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
gregor7777 said:
Minimum character count in a post should be 5 characters.

The sooner we get rid of "this", the better. Way worse than laughing smiley IMO.

This.

Sorry, someone had to.

Curufinwe

Effect said:
Outside of magazines and sites I don't recall seeing anything for uDraw though. Maybe I was watching the wrong channels. I did see a lot of ads for Epic Mickey though and only a few for DKCR during it's launch month. uDraw could be this holiday's sleeper hit though. I'm tempted to pick one up myself for the hell of it.

I first saw a TV ad for it on Christmas Eve. My wife was all: "Did you get me that?", and I had to pretend and say of course not, never heard of it. But I had bought it for her two weeks ago after deciding a Wacom Intuos was too expensive and too fiddly.

olimpia84

wow amazing numbers for Epic Mickey, I wasn't expecting that at all. And wth at GT5? I did my part and bought it day one but I kind of wish I didn't...with the poor sales I'm sure the price will go down :p

And congrats to the Wii, against all odds it still remains the king (for at least another year)

Top Bottom