• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2014 [Up2: Nintendo Sales Notes]

I don't suppose there's any seriously hidden data on how many of the 20th Anniversary PS4s were sold? Curious how many were retailed in the US of the 12300, or would Sony have not bothered reporting it?

It could have been that Frozen game on DS.

Either that or some game from 2013 selling over that much, and the wording meaning that the top 15 were not only on 3DS, but released this year.

And honestly, I don't think MLB sold that much. If it had been out for longer, I would have suggested Minecraft Vita, but that only came out in October, I believe.

Assuming Dent's number is reliable, the US accounts for only 36% of PS4 global sell-through.

Where do people pull these sorts of numbers from?

How can the fanbase be 3-4M when no game in the franchise has shipped that much, afaik.

Crazy especially considering how abysmal sales have been in Japan. PS4 is killing it in Europe and in rest of the world.

Hawk269

Just saw the Sony commercial where the two guys are playing NBA 2k15 and then jump to Destiny. Why wouldn't they advertise exclusives?

That is how I read it, yes.

That is one of the worst video game commercial that I have seen. I am not sure what the point of it really is and how it drives people to want to go out and buy a PS4.

donny2112

I'm wondering if it was a reactionary measure to a potentially dismal lead over the PS4 for December. I can't really think of any reason to go back up to $400, then back down to $350.

Because they said they'd go back to $400 after January 3rd. And they did. For ~2 weeks. They're a man of their word.

DK_Man_of_Word.jpg

Duxxy3

Assuming Dent's number is reliable, the US accounts for only 36% of PS4 global sell-through.

Where do people pull these sorts of numbers from?

How can the fanbase be 3-4M when no game in the franchise has shipped that much, afaik.

Mostly my ass. It's where I get the majority of my guesses. It's wrong roughly 90% of the time.

Dumb ass.

Derpyduck

Banned
It don't see why it shouldn't be. Given that Nov+Dec are the biggest months for people to pick up consoles, it's completely understandable that the GTA V's numbers would heavily skew toward the bundles.

Also remember that the stand-alone game sold more on PS4 in November (i.e., the first month for GTA V NG, where most games get the majority of their sales).

Also consider digital. That's how I bought it. Though I guess this would theoretically have equal effect on the Xbox version as well.

Ahhhh right I forgot it came out in November and not December. Totally makes sense that it sold more on Xbox One in December and more on PS4 in November, especially considering the free game deal some places were running for buying an Xbox One. I also bought it digitally on PS4, but I don't expect the percentages to be that different from PS4 to Xbox One.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Yes, and I'm saying if you forget the bundles altogether, there were 700k more PS4 owners than Xbox One owners. So I therefore find it surprising that it sold more on Xbox One. That's all I'm saying. I'm not saying it didn't sell on PS4, because that would be absurd.

someone already replied with the same thing above :)

Loakum

Banned
I think the souls fanbase is somewhere between 3 and 4 million. The issue that Bloodborne has is that it doesn't have access to the Xbox market, like DaS 1 and 2 had.

I expect Bloodborne to sell better than Demon's souls, but less than Dark Souls 1 or 2.

Multi platform games generally sale better than exclusives, however I'm basing my figures on how many PS4 on the market factored in the hype for Bloodborne. It's like when The Last of Us was an upcoming title. The amount of hype for that game sold a ton of year one copies....and word of mouth and reviews continued it's great sales. Bloodborne has the potential to do the same, because the hype is definitely there.

On Demand

Banned
Let's use some critical thinking here. Tons of people bought next gen consoles, yes? Lets say there was a lot of them that wanted GTAV. Well, those that bought a new PS4 had it included. Those that bought an X1 had to buy it separately. You see now?

Like i said. People are looking way too much into XB1's software sales compared to PS4 for December. Like come on now.

Freeman

Banned
I think that Sony was unprepared for how aggressive MS was going to be this holidays. GTAV helped Sony a lot, if they ended up with AC and MS with GTA MS would have done much better.

I think that Sony should be considering cutting the price of the PS4 in NA before doing the same in other territories. They should announce the NA price cut in the next E3 and than do the same for Europe and Japan in the next Gamescom and TGS.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Damn. Never looked at it that way.

That's always been MS big problem with the Xbox brand, strong domestically and in the culturally similar UK, but beyond that a big drop-off in penetration.

I can't help but see that being even more pronounced this gen with Nintendo being far less competitive to Sony's market share in the regions where Xbox is weak.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
So, this stat is somewhat interesting.

In 2014, 16 Nintendo 3DS titles sold at least 250,000 units. Of those titles, eight sold more than 500,000 units and three sold over 1 million units.
I'm guessing for this year

3 sold over 1M = Smash Bros. 3DS, Pokemon Alpha Sapphire, Pokemon Omega Ruby
8 sold over 500K - ? (does this include the over 1M ones?)
5 sold over 250K - ? (same question here...)

I assume these are US stats, but what games could actually sell that much?
Mario Kart 7, Pokemon X, Pokemon Y, Animal Crossing New Leaf, Zelda: Link Between Worlds, Zelda OOT 3D, Bravely Default, Yoshi's New Island, Tomodachi Life, Kirby: Triple Deluxe, Mario 3D Land, DKCR 3D?.... I'm still missing 1?
So any thoughts here? Maybe it's a Lego game?

Discomurf

Found these 2 stats interesting..

Just Dance (Wii U) outsold XB1 and PS4 versions in Dec.

COD:Ghosts (Wii U) outsold PC version in 2014

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

Just Dance Wii U is expected imo. As Aqua said before, PC retail is completely dead (aka all digital) so it's no surprise there.

Like i said. People are looking way too much into XB1's software sales compared to PS4 for December. Like come on now.

They really. In general all the PS4 crushed! and doomed and whatnot posts just have me kind of astonished here.

How can people honestly think stuff like that? Makes no sense. Both consoles sold great, the PS4 did incredibly even though it was siginifacntly more expensive and I'd wager as a result Sony made out with more money from consoles than MS did. The gap is still 500k, and it'll likely go right back to growing throughout the year so yea, all in all, wow.

donny2112

very true.

i've frequently posted tie ratio comparisons throughout the months.

ps4 may have a larger digital presence, but people have underestimated the xb1 at retail software.

Nintendo gave % growth for unit software sales in 2014 over 2013. Do we have the Wii U tie ratio at the end of 2012 and 2013? With that, we should be able to figure out the tie ratio now for the system. :)

Duxxy3

Ghosts for PC was the worst optimized CoD game ever made. Black Ops 2 was very well optimized, so people just stuck with BO2.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I don't know about your broader question, but it says in the PR 16 sold more than 250K, so the 8 doesn't include the 3 or the 5.

Ok, that's how I interpreted it as well. I guess I just thought the software figures were better than I was expecting.

I'm pretty sure we already know Bravely, Tomodachi, Yoshi & Kirby are pretty likely over 250K by now. I'm just confused as to what the 500K ones are. I assume there's quite a few evergreens...

Fable Legends or Quantum Break.

Both those are around summer/late spring

Quantum Break is a really fascinating game. I can't wait to actually see what the game really is. Fable Legends, pretty much the opposite.

Even though I don't think The Order 1886 or Bloodborne will be system sellers, I think those two games will likely ensure the PS4 will win those months.

Hopefully this year is the opposite of last year, the year of disappointment.

RedAssedApe

Banned
They really. In general all the PS4 crushed! and doomed and whatnot posts just have me kind of astonished here.

How can people honestly think stuff like that? Makes no sense. Both consoles sold great, the PS4 did incredibly even though it was siginifacntly more expensive and I'd wager as a result Sony made out with more money from consoles than MS did. The gap is still 500k, and it'll likely go right back to growing throughout the year so yea, all in all, wow.

completely ignoring nov. npd and overall 2014 npd for those same titles that show ps4 sold more...sigh

i'm just going to ignore some of these doom and gloom software related posts now.

Daemul

It is good news for everyone, of course it's a slower thread lol.

Yeah, that's true. I think I've just become used to NPD threads being super busy, when before the new consoles launched, them being the monster threads they are now was the exception rather than the norm.

So assuming Kevin Dent's figures for December (XB1 at 1.29M, PS4 at 1.065M) are accurate, and taking some figures from the November NPD thread as follows:

XB1 - 1.24M
PS4 - 840k
Wii U - ~245k

A cut by the XB1 of 400k in November, followed up by a cut of 225k in December. PS4's lead presumed to be at 500k.

In terms of % total monthly US sales (ignoring Wii U) the PS4 closed from a 41.4%/59.6% defeat in November to a 45.2%/54.8% defeat in December. All eyes January.

That's always been MS big problem with the Xbox brand, strong domestically and in the culturally similar UK, but beyond that a big drop-off in penetration.

I can't help but see that being even more pronounced this gen with Nintendo being far less competitive to Sony's market share in the regions where Xbox is weak.

well, if they keep offering these promotions in only those 'friendly' markets, as they just did, i'd say it's almost a sure thing...

Javin98

Banned
Fellow Gaffers, what important info did I miss about NPD? Did we get the numbers yet? I'm in school right now so please reply fast.

Top Bottom