• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2015 [Up1: Super Mario Maker]

A lot of people are forgetting how daunting a game like Bloodborne is to a lot of gamers. I found it to be a wonderful experience once I got past the learning curve, but it can be very discouraging after the millionth playthrough of that first area. Doesn't take long for word to spread. "Don't buy that game. I played it for two hours and got nowhere."

Also, I just don't get why Halo 5 didn't move more copies or hardware. I don't even have an XBO and actually didn't even like any of the past Halo games, but I was DROOLING over the HD video I saw of that game on YouTube. Was seriously considering buying a One just to play it.

driver116

Where it belongs. The franchise has completely strayed from its roots and has dropped significantly in quality. Sales were eventually going to reflect this.

Pretty impressive. Having said that the PS3 sold like shit especially early on so I can't say it's that surprising.

Glad someone said it. Halo 4 was the writing on the wall. Fond memories of 1,2 & 3.

Prismo

Neo Member
Digital is a growing number no doubt, and NPD is not the full picture, but Retail software sales are still the majority and also huge

Sure they are not irrelevant by any stretch, however, it is hard not to feel like that is the trajectory that they are on.

Didn't X1 beat ps4 with like 400k units one month in 2014

That was because they got in at well under the price Sony were with much better bundles.

Anyone who actually thought Halo 5 would close the gap (not just a month or two of slightly better sales for the Xbone, but fully closing the gap) is living in a dream world.

The chalkboard theory of one title or thing "saving" a console never works, it didn't with the PS3, and didn't with the WiiU, if something was to make a "comeback" it would be due to the variety of different factors (price, promotion, multiple games etc).

Not that I'm saying XB1 will make a comeback, just that the idea that one game alone would cause it is incredibly flawed logic imo.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Not saying that they weren't charting at all, just that, due to the setup the all-included charts are based of, exclusives suffer, it's very difficult for them to appear unless they sell bombastic amounts. There can be exclusives selling 1 million for a specific year, and still not appearing in these charts. High numbers, but not hgh enough to be in that top 10.

It also doesn't help that much that Sony and MS seems to have reduced their first party output for the first two years - Sony should be on the upswing next year - while Nintendo had a lesser year, release-wise - in terms of relevance, I mean
I think that doesn't necessarily solve the issue though.

Like let's say they went back to individual SKUs. It's entirely possible that CoD, Madden, Fallout, and Battlefront all sold over 1 million copies on each the PS4 and Xbox One, meaning a 1 million unit title still would not show up in the Top 8. If NBA and FIFA over a million on PS4, that'd still be a full Top 10 lock-out.

A lot of first party titles are being hit with the same pressures that the ever expanding mid-tier has been feeling, which force sales down at the same time the others are going up.

That's not to say there's no good selling first party software, clearly there is some, but first party software losing ground is factoring into this instead of just an isolated third party explosion.

Tankard

Congrats Sony, almost 6 mi sold only through holidays is very impressive.

2016 is even more promising with so many titles.

prwxv3

Basically. Comparison's this entire gen to last gen won't be quite fair because Nintendo went Supernova the entire last generation both in terms of Wii and DS

The core market is as strong or stronger than ever. That said the expanded market has no doubt shrunk

The whole "the industry is in trouble because of the total hardware decline" was always a stupid argument. Yes the casual console market has declined a shit ton but corr game console sales are just as strong as they have beeb. It's more Nintendo's problem that the casual matket shrunk no Sony's or MS.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
There are tons of PAL charts, debuting at 5th in each one adds up, Europe loves TR so the game probably had an unusually high attache rate there.

Well, it debuted at 5 in UK and sold ~100K after 5 weeks.

It debuted with 60% of UK sales in france, that's ~38K. We never got the game rankings for france, as only the top 5 is shared.

The germany ranking was never better than 9th, being:

Week 1 - 09
Week 2 - 16
Week 3 - 28
Week 4 (07/12) - 46
Week 5 - 53
Week 6 - 62
Week 7 - 86

And we can say that the game never got to 100K, as everytime a game reach 100K in germany we can a announcement.

The game might had sold a lot in Europe, but we don't have any indication of it besides saying that tradicionally TR fanbase is in europe. (and you have to remember that TR fanbase is mostly PS and PS gamers)

Not all but some are. Was the same last month. It's pretty obvious. Same with the Halo 5 sales.

Quite a shame as its a good game.

Hopefully there will be enough PC sales and PS4 sales to justify continuing the reboot. They have been fantastic

Yeah, i only heard praise from those who played the game. I think i'll have to bit the bullet and get the game on PC at launch.

Sure they are not irrelevant by any stretch, however, it is hard not to feel like that is the trajectory that they are on.

Even my optimistic prediction for Digital ratio for overall sales is 30% by the end of 2016. And thats not taking into account how much brick and mortar are now combating it with Best Buy and Amazon both offering cold hard cash off of brand new games. If you see something similar from GameStop that will have a huge impact.

Digital sales will not eclipse physical sales for quite a while.

Sterok

Why are people complaining about first party games? I see a first party published game in the top 10 of both December and 2015.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Battlefront and Fallout above Minecraft. Well done all.

90.gif

Madao

the yearly NPD is like the complete opposite of Media Create sales threads nowadays.

no Nintendo games at all in the year's top 10 in US while in japan it is only 3DS and Wii U games in the year's top 10.

Vena

So I'll revise estimates from the predictions rounding to (assuming the sum ~2.9m being accurate-ish):

PS4 ~ 1.55
X1 ~ 1.35

Previously I had them at ~1.6 and ~1.4, but recent numbers make me want to take both down by ~.5. This may, however, be over depreciating one vs. another. If we take Ryng's estimate on X1 being 1.38<x<1.43 as ~1.4, then:

PS4 ~ 1.5
X1 ~ 1.4

But that seems surprisingly close.

nib95

Banned
I don't think there's any way Microsoft can play catch up now, at least not this following year anyway. If Halo didn't do it, Gears certainly won't, that's if it even releases in 2016.

Welfare

So I'll revise estimates from the predictions rounding to (assuming the sum ~2.9m being accurate-ish):

PS4 ~ 1.55
X1 ~ 1.35

Previously I had them at ~1.6 and ~1.4, but recent numbers make me want to take both down by ~.5. This may, however, be over depreciating one vs. another. If we take Ryng's estimate on X1 being 1.38<x<1.43 as ~1.4, then:

PS4 ~ 1.5
X1 ~ 1.4

But that seems surprisingly close.
November must've been a huge increase because of the bundles along with the price cut (which had no effect until November). December must've been only a small increase in total sales.

Top Bottom