• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2015 [Up1: Super Mario Maker]

RoKKeR

I don't think there's any way Microsoft can play catch up now, at least not this following year anyway. If Halo didn't do it, Gears certainly won't, that's if it even releases in 2016.
I think Gears will sell more than Halo. Bigger install base, more time off since last entry, etc.

That is if we know how many copies Halo sold in a similar time frame.

prwxv3

Which the 3rd party doesn't support as much.
They did support it and made a tone of mony from it. The problem is than it was all casual market games not AAA core games that sold well on PS3 360 and now PS4 One. That market has contracted drastically.

Alo0oy

Banned
Well, it debuted at 5 in UK and sold ~100K after 5 weeks.

It debuted with 60% of UK sales in france, that's ~38K. We never got the game rankings for france, as only the top 5 is shared.

The germany ranking was never better than 9th, being:

Week 1 - 09
Week 2 - 16
Week 3 - 28
Week 4 (07/12) - 46
Week 5 - 53
Week 6 - 62
Week 7 - 86

And we can say that the game never got to 100K, as everytime a game reach 100K in germany we can a announcement.

The game might had sold a lot in Europe, but we don't have any indication of it besides saying that tradicionally TR fanbase is in europe. (and you have to remember that TR fanbase is mostly PS and PS gamers)

Yeah, i only heard praise from those who played the game. I think i'll have to bit the bullet and get the game on PC at launch.

Europe is more than just France & Germany, & yes I know most of TR's fanbase is on Playstation, but maybe there were enough people that either bought an XB1 for it, or have multiple consoles, TR sold 1 million, it sold like shit in the US, then the most likely scenario is that it sold ~25k in every market in Europe, adding up to a decent amount in the end.

HardRojo

I guess not seeing Arkham Knight in the Top 10 for the year is somewhat expected.
What happened to Halo 5 though? Also, whoever keeps bringing up exclusive games list wars should take a good look at that 2015 Top 10.

Raist

Banned
Europe is more than just France & Germany, & yes I know most of TR's fanbase is on Playstation, but maybe there were enough people that either bought an XB1 for it, or have multiple consoles, TR sold 1 million, it sold like shit in the US, then the most likely scenario is that it sold ~25k in every market in Europe, adding up to a decent amount in the end.

For the XB1, Europe is essentially the UK and a tiny bit of France.

I wonder what Halo 5 is sitting at in the NPD. We know it hasn't crossed 1.9 million yet. But the range is still pretty large (>1.3, <1.9).

I think Gears will sell more than Halo. Bigger install base, more time off since last entry, etc.

I don't think thats impossible actually if the game is damn good. Halo 4 was poorly received by the fanbase, MCC was an utter mess, and Halo 5 was extremely mixed. There was a lot going against it.

If they can deliver an exceptional experience with Gears 4 that the majority of the fanbase can agree is quality I think it could be bigger than Halo yeah. But its going to have to be damn good to pull it off.

Its an absolute success for Ubi. Siege 2 is a lock at this point

fABWCL7.gif

Based on how it launched, the question becomes, should it?

...yes? There were a lot of server/matchmaking issues, but the game was far from unplayable. I played it almost daily throughout December.

A little over a month later, the majority of its issues have been fixed and they bumped up the tickrate. Ubi has been great with Siege.

allan-bh

They are sure. But they also were a giant outlier last generation. A flash in the pan.

Using the downfall of Nintendo to try and illustrate this industry is in trouble is such an off base argument.

Only Sony is doing well, Xbox One is still tracking ahead of 360 but there's no way to end selling more than 80 million and Wii U is tragic.

Plus Wii public didn't vanish in the air, so the industry of home consoles is losing costumers.

iOS & Android are part of the industry as well. Discounting Nintendo is stupid, but so is discounting mobile, all those platforms are part of the video games industry.

The guy said console industry.

nib95

Banned

It's possible, but I'm not sure it's that likely. Not only has Gears of War (as a franchise) traditionally sold far less than Halo in the past, but the last game in the series saw a much harsher decline than Halo 4. Plus it's still being developed by an entirely new team, and hasn't exactly had the best showing so far. Pretty sure Master Chief Collection saw much greater sales than Gears of War Ultimate as well, though granted it was far better value proposition.

Install base doesn't really mean much in itself, otherwise Halo 5 should have sold more than Halo 3.

I don't think thats impossible actually if the game is damn good. Halo 4 was poorly received by the fanbase, MCC was an utter mess, and Halo 5 was extremely mixed. There was a lot going against it.

If they can deliver an exceptional experience with Gears 4 that the majority of the fanbase can agree is quality I think it could be bigger than Halo yeah. But its going to have to be damn good to pull it off.

Always bet on Rod!

I think the open beta will give a good idea of what to expect from it

Raist

Banned
You can think that...you'd also be wrong.

TR has yet to sell more than 100k in Germany (including digital).
The XB1 was at 80k LTD as of June 2015 in Spain. Italy probably isn't much better.
]Any other market in Europe is much, much smaller than the ones mentioned above.

But sure, TR managed an average of 25k sold per european country.

Maniel

Banned
There's a tiny bit of XB1 in every market in Europe, a lot of tinies can add up eventually. Where else did the TR sales come from?

I believe that when Microsoft said it sold over 1 million they were including shipments and digital. It's a good possibility that they over shipped.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.

I'm sorry, but i can't agree with you. You are just repeating that the game sold 25k in every market in Europe but you don't have any data to support your argument.

Do we have any data about game sales outside the XB1 strongest EU markets?

Edit: what's the problem in accepting that the US sales are >50% of the total?

Endo Punk

Sony have yet to use their big selling franchises; Uncharted, Gran Turismo and God of War. I guess if they were losing they would have done everything to rush them out the door.

prwxv3

No.

Wii was bought by people who have never bought a console before, and never will again. Many people. It was a fad. PS2 was not. It was a great system supported by the masses.

instead of a fad I would call the Wii lighting in a bottle that won't happen again for quite a while. It sold too much for quite a while to be a fad.

damisa

iOS & Android are part of the industry as well. Discounting Nintendo is stupid, but so is discounting mobile, all those platforms are part of the video games industry.

People on this forum only seem to care about Sony and MS Sales. PC is also usually ignored.

No.

Wii was bought by people who have never bought a console before, and never will again. Many people. It was a fad. PS2 was not. It was a great system supported by the masses.

I'm pretty sure there was plenty of people who only bought a PS2 since it was a cheap DVD player. Of course that would throw a wrench in your narrative that consoles aren't declining though. Plenty of generations have had a significant casual community besides the Wii gen. It's pure sillyness to just exclude it and say everything is fine.

Either way, excluding this whole Wii thing, consoles still won't match gen 6 in sales unless xbox one and ps4 can combine to over 180 million

fABWCL7.gif

...yes? There were a lot of server/matchmaking issues, but the game was far from unplayable. I played it almost daily throughout December.

A little over a month later, the majority of its issues have been fixed and they bumped up the tickrate. Ubi has been great with Siege.

Yo, preach it. I'm so glad the game's sold well. One of the few times I've actually been invested in a game selling.

I think that doesn't necessarily solve the issue though.

Like let's say they went back to individual SKUs. It's entirely possible that CoD, Madden, Fallout, and Battlefront all sold over 1 million copies on each the PS4 and Xbox One, meaning a 1 million unit title still would not show up in the Top 8. If NBA and FIFA over a million on PS4, that'd still be a full Top 10 lock-out.

A lot of first party titles are being hit with the same pressures that the ever expanding mid-tier has been feeling, which force sales down at the same time the others are going up.

That's not to say there's no good selling first party software, clearly there is some, but first party software losing ground is factoring into this instead of just an isolated third party explosion.

I really don't think first party software is losing ground .
They were never really that big to begin with other than a small numbers of titles.
And for eg Sony software was also stronger in EU than NA.

EDIT i should say i am not counting Nintendo here.

prwxv3

Sony have yet to use their big selling franchises; Uncharted, Gran Turismo and God of War. I guess if they were losing they would have done everything to rush them out the door.
And that's why they are delaying games. Why rush out prodcuts when you don't have too.

Kyoufu

That's not true. They were losing last gen but titles like God of War 3 and Gran Turismo 5 didn't launch until years into the PS3's life.

Loudninja

I'm sorry, but i can't agree with you. You are just repeating that the game sold 25k in every market in Europe but you don't have any data to support your argument.

Do we have any data about game sales outside the XB1 strongest EU markets?
Updated BIU list for current gen consoles (December awards in italic)

PS4
100k-200k
ASSASSIN'S CREED IV: BLACK FLAG
BATMAN ARKHAM KNIGHT
BATTLEFIELD 4
BATTLEFIELD HARDLINE
BLOODBORNE
CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS
DRAGON AGE INQUISITION
INFAMOUS SECOND SON
JUST CAUSE 3
KILLZONE SHADOW FALL
METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN
NEED FOR SPEED RIVALS
PROJECT CARS
THE EVIL WITHIN
THE CREW
THE ORDER 1886
UNTIL DAWN

200k-500k
ASSASSIN'S CREED SYNDICATE
ASSASSIN'S CREED UNITY
CALL OF DUTY: ADVANCED WARFARE
DESTINY
DRIVECLUB
FALLOUT 4
FAR CRY 4
FIFA 14
FIFA 15
MIDDLE-EARTH: SHADOW OF MORDOR
MINECRAFT
NEED FOR SPEED
STAR WARS: BATTLEFRONT
THE LAST OF US REMASTERED
THE WITCHER 3: WILD HUNT
WATCH_DOGS

>500k
CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS III
FIFA 16
GRAND THEFT AUTO V

WIU
100k-200k
MARIO PARTY 10
SPLATOON
SUPER MARIO 3D WORLD
SUPER MARIO MAKER
SUPER SMASH BROS.
YOSHI'S WOOLLY WORLD

200k-500k
MARIO KART 8

>500k
-

XB1
100k-200k
CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS III
FIFA 15
FIFA 16
GRAND THEFT AUTO V

200k-500k
-

>500k
-

edit: ha, SSX posted that already. Well my list is better anyway :p

RoKKeR

It's possible, but I'm not sure it's that likely. Not only has Gears of War (as a franchise) traditionally sold far less than Halo in the past, but the last game in the series saw a much harsher decline than Halo 4. Plus it's still being developed by an entirely new team, and hasn't exactly had the best showing so far. Pretty sure Master Chief Collection saw much greater sales than Gears of War Ultimate as well, though granted it was far better value proposition.
I think the Xbox One as a console and platform will look very different next year, and I think MS will be putting Gears 4 at the front of a relaunch/rebranding. There will be a Beta in the spring to increase exposure and I think there is an itch for Gears that is going to become quite apparent next year.

Could be wrong, of course!

A lot of people are forgetting how daunting a game like Bloodborne is to a lot of gamers. I found it to be a wonderful experience once I got past the learning curve, but it can be very discouraging after the millionth playthrough of that first area. Doesn't take long for word to spread. "Don't buy that game. I played it for two hours and got nowhere."

Also, I just don't get why Halo 5 didn't move more copies or hardware. I don't even have an XBO and actually didn't even like any of the past Halo games, but I was DROOLING over the HD video I saw of that game on YouTube. Was seriously considering buying a One just to play it.

I bought Demon's Souls day 1. A coworker asked me if I had the game and I said yes. So he asked to borrow it and I said no--I used to lend him blurays--it's not the type of game you try. I told him there was no point in trying it if he wasn't serious about playing it. So he went and bought his own copy.

Also, compared to Bloodborne, Halo 5 just looks like a generic shooter.

Ridley327

Handhelds down 32%

u_____u

What did you expect? There were no heavy hitters for the 3DS this holiday season, and there's no compelling reason to buy a Vita if you're a first time owner as the library has leaned heavily towards satisfying those that already own one.

allan-bh

Install base doesn't really mean much in itself, otherwise Halo 5 should have sold more than Halo 3.

Judgment is not a manline game like Halo 4.

Holy shit at GTA V! It's unbelievable the legs it has. I really need to play this damned game.

And I thought COD was dead, but it managed to take two spots in the Top 10 of 2015. It's truly amazing for a franchise with annual release.

Surprised that people didn't take into account the SW and COD PS4 bundles that pretty much sold like hot cakes in December... sales that aren't included in the making of the software list.

Alo0oy

Banned
The guy said console industry.

Which is a mistake, people can segment the video games industry into different parts, but all those parts add up to the same industry, the "core" AAA industry is growing, the "casual" industry is growing, the MMO & MOBA industry is growing.

Not being in a box doesn't make it any less of a video game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I really don't think first party software is losing ground .
They were never really that big to begin with other than a small numbers of titles.
And for eg Sony software was also stronger in EU than NA.

I would propose that Nintendo's software is massively down versus the Wii/DS and that headliners for the other vendors like Halo and Gran Turismo are doing worse than they used to.

Top Bottom