• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2015 [Up1: Super Mario Maker]

Welfare

No it won't. Developers are being held back by these machines now. A new generation is always a win win for publishers and developers. It keeps the market moving forward. You wait too long and things may change for the worse.

Maybe if games still were on a 1-2 year dev cycle. HD has stopped that from happening.

With TR, 400k US. I think ~200K UK, it was said to be well over 100K after week 5. It's at 28th place in the UK top 50. Rest of Europe must be at least 100k. 700k so far and with US selling something like 2.6m Xbox's surely the TR bundle accounted for some but was only Best Buy?

In Europe they did have Amazon and Gamestop selling the official bundle, not sure what other outlets did. Rest of the world 25-50k?

With digital at 20% I can see 1million

What's very good about the UK numbers is it's pretty much half of the US sales despite them having 5/6 times the population.

No it won't. Developers are being held back by these machines now. A new generation is always a win win for publishers and developers. It keeps the market moving forward. You wait too long and things may change for the worse.

Developers dont pay the bills. Publishers do.

I very much doubt they want anothe 30% jump in dev costs just yet.

How are devs being held back this gen ?
The only thing i can think of is VR games but that going to take a while to become big .

GnawtyDog

Banned
With TR, 400k US. I think ~200K UK, it was said to be well over 100K after week 5. It's at 28th place in the UK top 50. Rest of Europe must be at least 100k. 700k so far and with US selling something like 2.6m Xbox's surely the TR bundle accounted for some but was only Best Buy?

In Europe they did have Amazon and Gamestop selling the official bundle, not sure what other outlets did. Rest of the world 25-50k?

With digital at 20% I can see 1million

What's very good about the UK numbers is it's pretty much half of the US sales despite them having 5/6 times the population.

On the aggregate worldwide, on all Xbox platforms it does seem likely.

X360 has lots of exclusives first years thanks to it being only next-gen console, people only had an option if they wanted something to play. You just can't deny that launching earlier has some advantages for you

Which has nothing to do with the point that how much earlier a console launches has nothing to do with design but everything with what the competition decides to do.

Actually history is on my side. Historically a generation is 5 years. Last gen was not normal. These systems are already struggling with developers. Yes both of them. 2018 will see PC's far more powerful and doing 4K with ease as these systems still struggle at 1080p or less.

And I don't buy the Microsoft wants it to end quickly. That's just bias bullshit. They are doing very well considering. Sony's success worldwide isn't making Microsoft want this gen to end. That's ridiculous.

Increases in power come with die shrinks, which are getting smaller gains and are taking longer and longer to build production lines for. The reason previous gene were shorter was because die shrinks lead to quicker gains in power. I believe the current systems are on a 22 nm die, and the new gpus coming out are supposed to be on a 14nm die (somebody can check my numbers). This is why this Gen will last longer, in my opinion, because it is getting more difficult to cut costs on die shrinks. Maybe there will be some new technology that gets over this hurdle, who knows, but I really didn't have a problem with the length of last Gen and neither did any of my friends. If you want bleeding edge technology, you should really build a gaming PC. Consoles are hamstrung by their pricepoint.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus

haha what

I enjoy your posts but seriously, this is crazy talk

Fdkn

We're 25 months in and some people are already wishing for a next gen....... guys pls, try to enjoy a bit.

In January? It will sell if it's discounted.

One thing that SQE needs to take into account is that the more they discount Tomb Raider in Xbox, the harder it gets to sell it at high price on other platforms when it launchs. And it was hard enough just by being a lateport

jayu26

How come? With the X86 structure going forward wouldn't backward compatibility/cross-gen configuration be implemented much more easily?

More powerful machines doesn't automatically mean that games are easier to make. Just look at this generation. PS4's time to triangle is great, but the games being made are also exponentially bigger. Third parties also have to adapt to this. That means investment into new technologies on their side. Hence, lack of really big high risk games. If they have to upgrade their pipeline every couple of games then you are liable to piss them off. Unless you want the meme to go from "PS4 has no gamez" to "Next Gen has no gamez" expect next consoles to come in timely fashion, when everyone is ready.

In fairness it's on the 360, as well, which I'm guessing is making enough of a difference WW where the install base isn't as dire as the X1.

Good point. I forgot RotTR wa on the 360.

AAA dev time is about 2.5-3 years. 5 years is not enough time to let devs get accustomed to the new hardware and make multiple games for it. 2019 will be the earliest we see a next gen console, I'm betting.

The next gen isn't going to be like a typical console generation. It'll be more like a PC getting a graphics card update and some more memory. The next gen is going to be fully compatible with current gen. The devs won't have to change anything. All games will release for current and next gen consoles, but the next gen versions would take advantage of the extra capabilities to do the equivalent of increasing the graphical settings in a PC game. You'll get better visual qualities like better AA, shadows, resolution and FPS, but the base game will essentially be the same.

We're 25 months in and some people are already wishing for a next gen....... guys pls, try to enjoy a bit.

Its amazing how we can see the exact 7 stages of grief, abiet at different stages, from both the Xbox and Nintendo crowd.

Both ultimately are at the point that they are saying "my company isnt winning, they should release a new console and start the cycle again"

I mean honestly...smh.

True but i don't see how that really holding back devs right now .
At least not in a big way that you have to rush next gen .

Oh yeah I dont disagree, thats why I'm thinking 2019 its just the one part of the hardware that could be an issue for devs right now. Its the biggest bottleneck in the architecture

More powerful machines doesn't automatically mean that games are easier to make. Just look at this generation. PS4's time to triangle is great, but the games being made are also exponentially bigger. Third parties also have to adapt to this. That means investment into new technologies on their side. If they have to upgrade their pipeline every couple of games then you are liable to piss them off. Hence, lack of really big high risk games. Unless you want the meme to go from "PS4 has no gamez" to "Next Gen has no gamez" expect next consoles to come in timely fashion, when everyone is ready.

People keep forgetting that there is already a difference in capabilities between PCs and consoles that developers have to take into account. More powerful hardware would just mean that developers could bring more of the PC experience over to consoles.

onQ123

You think that devs want to go broke making games for the few PC gamers that would have a PC that can play games that the PS4 can't run?

These console more like enable the games that high end PC's are getting not hold them back.

Going from getting outsold 2:1 in the US to outselling your competitor is a pretty massive swing in momentum.

Honestly, if both MS and Sony release similar systems and don't manage to mess anything up with their messaging or design, they'll probably do the same as they are now. People are locking into certain ecosystems this gen.

Guess who Shane Stocks is <-----

I've called out the spin on numerous circumstances, certainly on the current sales of Tomb Raider. It'll be interesting to know actual sales figures on the game (I want to franchise to survive).

Well, when Greenberg talks sales, or says sales are sold to "customers" it is still hard to believe if they are sold through to the end user or retailers. He was saying this back in 2010 when Microsoft was running mad game and their PR was on another level.

Maybe their stance has changed, who knows, but he was saying then that Retailers are their customers.

That's what people thought was happening last gen.

And to a certain extent, they did. I don't think the Xbox One would have been so successful in the US without the popularity of Xbox Live.

Obviously they completely botched the launch and allowed Sony to gain an advantage. I don't think either company will manage to so badly misunderstand their core consumers like MS did and Sony the gen prior.

What if there is an iterative step between this gen and next?

I've pondered this myself. I wonder if people would be willing to purchase an upgraded console. They wouldn't even need the whole market to do it, just charge a premium for a bit better hardware for better performance and get enough consumers to upgrade for it to be worth the cost.

No idea how publishers / the market would respond though

Carmack said last gen was powerful enough to make games for a long time.

His meaning was to concentrate on the game and not stretch your budget on visuals. This is how we end up with the order

Going from getting outsold 2:1 in the US to outselling your competitor is a pretty massive swing in momentum.

Honestly, if both MS and Sony release similar systems and don't manage to mess anything up with their messaging or design, they'll probably do the same as they are now. People are locking into certain ecosystems this gen.

The big switch of gamers from Xbox to PS4 shows that people aren't locked into consoles across generations at least in the US. I am someone who jumped from Xbox to PS and would have no problem going back to Xbox if they had the better console next gen. However I will admit that if the next consoles have similar capabilities then people will probably stick with whatever platform they are already on.

jayu26

People keep forgetting that there is already a difference in capabilities between PCs and consoles that developers have to take into account. More powerful hardware would just mean that developers could bring more of the PC experience over to consoles.
I don't know man. That is my understanding. If a AAA dev wants to set me straight then I welcome it.

What if there is an iterative step between this gen and next?
I'm against it. I will probably go full PC if that happens.

That's what people thought was happening last gen.

I think that is why Xbone is as close to PS4 as it is in the US and UK.

The big switch of gamers from Xbox to PS4 shows that people aren't locked into consoles across generations at least in the US. I am someone who jumped from Xbox to PS and would have no problem going back to Xbox if they had the better console next gen. However I will admit that if the next consoles have similar capabilities then people will probably stick with whatever platform they are already on.

One thing is for certain if they are similar most of WW is once again lock for Sony IMO.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Good result for XCX. Man the 3DS and Wii U weren't that far off from each other were they....

Hey cream. Any chance we could get some updated LTDs of titles?

Yoshi's Woolly World
Youkai Watch
Major'a Mask 3D
Zelda: Triforce Heroes
Splatoon
Bloodborne

?

Also, if this is the second highest month of software sales for the Wii U behind last December, a good bit of Wii U software must have sold? Last December had Smash Wii U at over 1M right?

creamsugar

LTD
  • Not include HW bundle
  • Include special editions

Z:MM3D ~ 942
MH4U ~ 458
AC:AHL+ ~ 9
FF:F ~ 93
S.T.E.A.M. ~ 50
XC3D ~ 147
EMD ~ 20
P&D ~ 103
SMT:DS2RB ~ 42
LBX ~ 33
EO2U:TFK ~ 19
AC:HHD ~ 270
Miku ~ 45
SK2:DC ~ 16
Z: TH ~ 312
DBZ: EB ~ 48
Chibi ~ 57
TLOL ~ 31
PSMD ~ 352
YKW ~ 195
SK ~ 27

Kirby ~ 193
MP10 ~ 633
S ~ 849
SMM ~ 944
Yoshi ~ 457
MT: US ~ 67
AC: AF ~ 63
SK ~ 23

Angel_DvA

I don't understand why people are surprise about some Xbox One software sales, The Xbox brand is still the FPS Dude Bros one, even if some have switch on PS4.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Good result for XCX. Man the 3DS and Wii U weren't that far off from each other were they....

Hey cream. Any chance we could get some updated LTDs of titles?

Yoshi's Woolly World
Youkai Watch
Major'a Mask 3D
Zelda: Triforce Heroes
Splatoon
Bloodborne

?

Also, if this is the second highest month of sales for the Wii U behind last December, a good bit of Wii U software must have sold? Last December had Smash Wii U at over 1M right?

Third month. It did better in December 2014 and 2013.

SalvaPot

So the whole print of Devil Third was 3k+?

What is stopping Nintendo to just do a limited Fatal Frame release? Make it 5k and it will sold out in seconds.

Also great numbers for Xenoblade 200+, I am sure that game is going to sell more.

Edit. Damn, yk did much better than I expect it. Great news! I am really enjoying it and it scratches that Pokemon itch.

DNAbro

LTD
  • Not include HW bundle

MH4U ~ 458
S.T.E.A.M. ~ 50
XC3D ~ 147
EMD ~ 20
P&D ~ 103
SMT:DS2RB ~ 42
LBX ~ 33
EO2U:TFK ~ 19
AC:HHD ~ 270
Miku ~ 45
SK2:DC ~ 16
Z: TH ~ 312
DBZ: EB ~ 48
Chibi ~ 57
TLOL ~ 31
PSMD ~ 352
YKW ~ 195
SK ~ 27

Kirby ~ 193
MP10 ~ 633
S ~ 849
SMM ~ 944
Yoshi ~ 457
MT: US ~ 67
AC: AF ~ 63
SK ~ 23

oh Majora's Mask 3D almost at a million? sweet. Xenoblade Chronicles 3D did kind of well too.

Raylan

Banned
LTD
  • Not include HW bundle

MH4U ~ 458
S.T.E.A.M. ~ 50
XC3D ~ 147
EMD ~ 20