• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2015 [Up1: Super Mario Maker]

SalvaPot

Better than I was expecting for a lot of these, and some real outstanding performances too. Shovel Knight got another 50k at retail, lol.

Etrian really did struggle in all regions and forms, damn. STEAM's going to be lucky to break 100k, and it was aimed at this market (hence why I removed it).... it got outsold by Chibi.

I think chibi is sadder. It got an amiibo and that didn't help it to get to 100k. Its also a stablished I.P.

I still see lots of bundles in the wild, it makes me sad. Makes me wonder if a more traditional chibi game would have done better.

Vena

I think chibi is sadder. It got an amiibo and that didn't help it to get to 100k. Its also a stablished I.P.

I still see lots of bundles in the wild, it makes me sad. Makes me wonder if a more traditional chibi game would have done better.

I didn't count either for a reason, haha. I suspect Chibi would have like no digital adoption either, because I suspect a lot of the purchases were Amiibo related rather than for the game.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
I Wanna know How much sold Nathan Drake Collection including bundle.

I Know it sold 1 million lifetime by end of November, i think should be ~1.5 million now.

LTD
  • Not include HW bundle
  • Include special editions

Z:MM3D ~ 942
MH4U ~ 458
AC:AHL+ ~ 9
FF:F ~ 93
S.T.E.A.M. ~ 50
XC3D ~ 147
EMD ~ 20
P&D ~ 103
SMT:DS2RB ~ 42
LBX ~ 33
EO2U:TFK ~ 19
AC:HHD ~ 270
Miku ~ 45
SK2:DC ~ 16
Z: TH ~ 312
DBZ: EB ~ 48
Chibi ~ 57
TLOL ~ 31
PSMD ~ 352
YKW ~ 195
SK ~ 27

Kirby ~ 193
MP10 ~ 633
S ~ 849
SMM ~ 944
Yoshi ~ 457
MT: US ~ 67
AC: AF ~ 63
SK ~ 23

Wow! Xenoblade looks even better.

Already above Kirby and Yokai Watch. Kirby was pretty cool though.

Also no wonder the Chibi-Robo Amiibo is super cheap.

Hopefully Nintendo puts forth an actual Amiibo focused title that has money put into it.

KHlover

Banned

Chibi Robot may be an older IP but tbf it's not like anyone ever particularly cared about it in the first place.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
LTD
  • Not include HW bundle

MH4U ~ 458
S.T.E.A.M. ~ 50
XC3D ~ 147
EMD ~ 20
P&D ~ 103
LBX ~ 33
Miku ~ 45
Chibi ~ 57
TLOL ~ 31
PSMD ~ 352
YKW ~ 195
SK ~ 27

Kirby ~ 193
MP10 ~ 633
S ~ 849
SMM ~ 944
Yoshi ~ 457
SK ~ 23

Is it just me or outside of the games that launched with the new 3DS, 3DS software sold pretty badly this year? Did the older title show good legs or something?

Can you link me MS PR this NPD? Can't find on OP.

Definitely. Check out the conversation of trying to parse and break it down by various posters on the next 5 or so pages from there. It's really masterful PR at work.

Microsoft fashionably late with the PR

“Thanks to our fans, continued support for the most critically-acclaimed holiday lineup of exclusives in Xbox history made December 2015 the best month yet for Xbox Live global engagement and Xbox One sales in the U.S. The total number of hours spent gaming on Xbox One worldwide nearly doubled compared to December 2014 and Xbox One exclusive game sales in the U.S. between July and December 2015 were up 61 percent compared to the same period in 2014. Revenue from Xbox Store’s Countdown, the biggest Xbox Store sale ever, broke records with 69 percent growth year-over-year when compared to results from last year’s sale. Xbox One is the best place for gamers and the only console that has all top 10 best-selling titles of this generation that launched in 2015.”
Xbox One >1.3m

Instro

Surprised at XCX numbers, considering the circumstances and minimal marketing. Hell it's not like the reception was super amazing either. Obviously it's hard to tell if this is a step down from the previous game numbers wise, but it seems like it's a pretty positive result. Been working through some other games, but I'll be picking that up in the near future.

Vena

Is it just me or outside of the games that launched with the new 3DS, 3DS software sold pretty badly this year? Did the older title show good legs or something?

In fact, I'd say they are better than expected. (Well, not STEAM and Chibi, but thats because of circumstances and/or target market.) *see my cutdown post on titles I think did better than expected*

And then add a lot of discount digital sales to ATLUS's games because that comes like clockwork.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
In fact, I'd say they are better than expected. (Well, not STEAM and Chibi, but thats because of circumstances and/or target market.)

While Triforce Heroes had good legs, I felt like HHD didn't have that great legs. Then everything else is basically below 100K lol. Who would have thought MH4U would have been the 2nd best selling title all year for the 3DS of new titles...

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Surprised at XCX numbers, considering the circumstances and minimal marketing. Hell it's not like the reception was super amazing either. Obviously it's hard to tell if this is a step down from the previous game numbers wise, but it seems like it's a pretty positive result. Been working through some other games, but I'll be picking that up in the near future.

I dunno, my first reaction to that number was "Wow, they spent all that time in all those Directs and Treehouse livestreams advertising Xenoblade just to push $12 million in sales." I mean it's doing better here than it did in Japan, but still. Less than 5 percent of the install base picked it up.

Vena

While Triforce Heroes had good legs, I felt like HHD didn't have that great legs. Then everything else is basically below 100K lol. Who would have thought MH4U would have been the 2nd best selling title all year for the 3DS of new titles...

It depends on what you're expecting. (Also look to my edit for certain titles.)

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I dunno, my first reaction to that number was "Wow, they spent all that time in all those Directs and Treehouse livestreams advertising Xenoblade just to push $12 million in sales." I mean it's doing better here than it did in Japan, but still. Less than 5 percent of the install base picked it up.

It's the only RPG on the Wii U, so it's not like the audience is already there on the platform.

It depends on what you're expecting. (Also look to my edit for certain titles.)

If I'm not mistaken, Yoshi's Woolly World did simiarly to Yoshi's New Island on 3DS in its 1st year in much fewer months? Not bad.

Producer

Damn good numbers for MH4U. Im glad its doing so well in the west.

Project Mirai DX seems decent enough, though i dont know PD F / F 2nd's numbers to compare.

But damn that Senran Kagura 2 sales:/ I feel like it probably sold better in Europe with Marvelous doing much more promotion and special editions there, not to mention Burst having a physical release there.

LTD
  • Not include HW bundle

MH4U ~ 458
S.T.E.A.M. ~ 50
XC3D ~ 147
EMD ~ 20
P&D ~ 103
LBX ~ 33
Miku ~ 45
Chibi ~ 57
TLOL ~ 31
PSMD ~ 352
YKW ~ 195
SK ~ 27

Kirby ~ 193
MP10 ~ 633
S ~ 849
SMM ~ 944
Yoshi ~ 457
SK ~ 23

omg! what kind of sorcery is this?? thanks cream <3

Vena

If I'm not mistaken, Yoshi's Woolly World did simiarly to Yoshi's New Island on 3DS in its 1st year in much fewer months? Not bad.

Woolly World is doing very well, as are its wool yoshi's probably.

But I was speaking more of the niche titles that mostly populate the lists. Take LoL, for example, its 31k LTD (NPD) vs. 75k LTD (Japan). That's what I call better than expected considering what the title is, what it was in its major territory, and such.

Similarly, Break Record (enchanced port): 42k LTD (NPD) vs. 75k LTD (Japan).

Project Mirai DX seems decent enough, though i dont know PD F / F 2nd's numbers to compare.

I believe initial results were with this Miku being the higher selling by a bit (at retail, digital is unknown), but the model for earnings is different so its had to compare.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Woolly World is doing very well, as are its wool yoshi's probably.

But I was speaking more of the niche titles that mostly populate the lists. Take LoL, for example, its 31k LTD (NPD) vs. 75k LTD (Japan). That's what I call better than expected considering what the title is, what it was in its major territory, and such.

Similarly, Break Record (enchanced port): 42k LTD (NPD) vs. 75k LTD (Japan).

I believe initial results were with this Miku being the higher selling by a bit (at retail, digital is unknown), but the model for earnings is different so its had to compare.

Sure sure. I wasn't expecting much out of Atlus titles and realized they probably did well and digital could be significant. I guess I was mostly looking at the meh performances of Puzzles & Dragons & Youkai Watch. Although to be fair, Youkai Watch probably sold a decent amount in bundles, and P&D had a lot more legs than I expected (its opening was 33K or something, right?)

Vena

Sure sure. I wasn't expecting much out of Atlus titles and realized they probably did well and digital could be significant. I guess I was mostly looking at the meh performances of Puzzles & Dragons & Youkai Watch. Although to be fair, Youkai Watch probably sold a decent amount in bundles, and P&D had a lot more legs than I expected (its opening was 33K or something, right?)

Its opening was bad, yes. All the marketing/legs for the game is probably from GiantBomb. :p

congratz to both Xenoblade

now give me Xenoblade Z

I would love/hate if it was Xenoblade Chronicles X squared.

Look at the sales numbers of other Wii U and 3DS titles.

The only titles higher than one month of Xenoblade sales are part of the Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing, Splatoon or Monster Hunter series.

Regiruler

LTD
  • Not include HW bundle

MH4U ~ 458
S.T.E.A.M. ~ 50
XC3D ~ 147
EMD ~ 20
P&D ~ 103
LBX ~ 33
Miku ~ 45
Chibi ~ 57
TLOL ~ 31
PSMD ~ 352
YKW ~ 195
SK ~ 27

Kirby ~ 193
MP10 ~ 633
S ~ 849
SMM ~ 944
Yoshi ~ 457
SK ~ 23
TfH did much better stateside than in japan it seems. Makes sense somewhat.

Kusagari

200k for a pretty obscure JRPG on the Wii U in a single month is an astounding number.

Like, those numbers are absolutely shocking to me.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Its opening was bad, yes. All the marketing/legs for the game is probably from GiantBomb. :p

For P&D? What did GiantBomb do lol?

Also kind of interesting how Yoshi is doing quite well, but I'd say Kirby is lagging behind. Usually I pin these two series as selling pretty similarly to each other (like these 2 games are in Japan), but it seems like Yoshi Woolly World was more popular here (it's adorable, so I can't disagree).

Also I'm kind of thinking Level 5 should try to play the long game with Youkai Watch just like Capcom has been doing with Monster Hunter. Let the TV show settle in (hopefully it gains more traction), and release the 2nd game (which apparently is better than the 1st) and see whether you can slowly grow the franchise.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Oh, get over yourself. "People are enjoying well reviewed games that I personally don't like? How dare they!" Your comments are more straight up garage than any COD game.
Nah, Black Ops Declassified is even more garbage than that post.

Top Bottom