• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2012 [Up 3: Kingdoms Of Amalur, Syndicate, Asura]

Glad to hear it about Syndicate at least. That game was so extremely dull and watered down that I couldn't even make myself finish it. And as I've stated before I finish about 99% of the games I play, even if they're bad.

That's not even including the fact they made it a goddamned FPS. It's just a really poorly done FPS.

A) The game came out the last week of Feb. It could still crack the top ten next month. Doubtful though.

B) It was a surprise launch. They announced the thing like 2 months before they released it, and there was almost no hype. This was a marketing fail if they were indeed looking for massive numbers.

C) Syndicate is a fucking awesome shooter.

Petrae

This months sales
360 426
ps3 360
3ds 262
wii 228
nds 135

Total 1411

Total sales w/o vita = 1411000
Last month sales (divide 162%) = 870987.6543
Last month sales * 187% = 1628746.914
Difference between sales w and w/o vita sales = 217746.9136
Divide by 1000 = 217.7469136

VITA Total ~218K

Probably as close as we're going to get officially.

Takao

Banned
Pretty big bomb if true.

4 days of sales. That's the minimum amount too since it's math based on hardware sales that misses the PSP (which had a price cut in Feb. 2011 IIRC) and the PS2.

Edit: PSP price cut happened in late Feb so its effect would be felt in March. Ignore that.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
What are you not understanding about average selling price?
Let me put it to you this way, even if you took out EVERYONE that bought the 360 Arcade Console, there sales of the 360 would still be higher (> 360k) than the PS3.

And MOST of the real world sales do come from software sales, and that's why the 360 is "winning" (as you seem to put it) right now, because Kinect and literally dozens of Kinect games (which are completely exclusive) are far more important to the mainstream than releasing one exclusive like Twisted Metal.

Microsoft has more quantity of software and according to the mainstream better quality too.

Of course. That isn't what I'm debating but you got some of it. PS3 and 360 had a good HW month.

UberTag

FFXIII in Japan --> Week 1 Sales = 1.5 Million
FFXIII-2 in Japan --> Week 1 Sales = 524,217

Total % drop = 65.1%

FFXIII in North America --> Month 1 Sales = 1.32 Million
FFXIII-2 in North America --> Month 1 Sales = ~330-340K

Total % drop = 74.7%

3DS Launch Month --> 398K
Vita Launch Month --> ~218K

Vita hardware estimates seem about right all things considered.

Rat Salad

Banned
Microsoft wins another month. C'mon Gaf. Celebrate!
Cause if it were Sony who came in tops this month you guys would be doing coke and calling in sick tomorrow morning.

4 days of sales. That's the minimum amount too since it's math based on hardware sales that misses the PSP (which had a price cut in Feb. 2011 IIRC) and the PS2.

Edit: PSP price cut happened in late Feb so its effect would be felt in March. Ignore that.

Yeah I updated with an assumption to help create a more realistic VITA sale number. See previous post.

Now with 4 days of sales, if anyone has any idea on what pre-orders were for the VITA (I assume they do pre-orders for hardware?), then we can extrapolate daily sales and can at least predict a weekly sales rate.

Spiegel

It's Pretty sad that RE:R sold badly, but not unexpected.

I'm guessing handhelds aren't going to get big games outside of the usual first party titles.

Takao

Banned
Actually, 11 days of sales, including the First Edition Bundle.

And 3DS sold 400k in seven days.

I know you're too busy trying to defend Revelations and Capcom's honour and all but:

Anita Frazier said:
“There are four days of retail sales reported for PlayStation Vita in this reporting period,” Frazier said. “Overall, hardware unit sales increased by 62 percent over January without the Vita included. Including PS Vita sales, that increase is 87 percent.”

Reading, how does it work?

mclem

They can be figured out from Nintendo's PR for this month. It is the PS2 and PSP numbers that are stopping any callculations being done.

We don't need to know PS2 sales; we know that Xbox's sales this month were 42% of the total console sales, so we can extrapolate from that all the *console* sales this month. Don't need to know the breakdown to use that stat.

PSP I'll admit we don't know... although can we estimate it to a reasonable level?

Petrae

Pretty big bomb if true.

I don't think finishing below 3DS is necessarily a "bomb", even in a launch month.

The unit is perceived as expensive, especially with the proprietary memory cards. Nintendo strategically cut the price of the 3DS in certain retailers to spike interest just before Vita hit. You also have to consider that the market is more splintered now than it was a year ago. Tablets are a force now, and iOS continues to peck away at potential consumers.

I think it's a low number, but not a complete bomb-- especially for only part of the month.

If only we can swap FFXIII sales with FFXIII-2's sales cause XIII-2 deserves the sales and XIII didn't.

Sad to see Revelations doing poorly in the US, I haven't really looked but were copies hard to find due to smaller shipments from the Revelaiton issue? Hopefully it'll be a slow burner as more people pick up 3DS and get the game later on.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Doubt it's true. Otherwise Nintendo would have said the 3DS was still the best selling portable console.

Nintendo seems to forget to mention an awful of lot of positive things though even then it seems unlikely they'd forget to mention something like that. Either that or they tried not to be harsh.

Road

We don't need to know PS2 sales; we know that Xbox's sales this month were 42% of the total console sales, so we can extrapolate from that all the *console* sales this month. Don't need to know the breakdown to use that stat.

PSP I'll admit we don't know... although can we estimate it to a reasonable level?
Microsoft only talks of current generation consoles, though.

Takao

Banned
Nintnedo seems to forget to mention an awful of lot of positive things though even then it seems unlikely they'd forget to mention something like that. Ether that or they tryed not to be harsh.

The same Nintendo who offered a bunch of retailer incentives during Vita's launch week is suddenly going to feel very sympathetic?

Petrae

That is not a good launch.

It's not a resounding success, but not a "bomb", I don't think. Definitely lower than many thought, especially in light of recent extrapolations. I was a bit surprised to see the low number, but not shocked.

Jhriad

Pretty big bomb if true.

We'll probably have to wait for Vita's first full month to get a good look at how it's doing. The full launch of the system only had three four days (22-25th) on this NPD. The rest was that early preorder bundle. Still not looking pretty.

EDIT: Beaten. And I can't count.

Dipswitch

Surprisingly good hardware numbers for Feb. I'm gonna chalk it up to an influx of tax refund cash.

My mind boggles that MS and Sony continue to shift that many units at the current price points. These machines are old, people!

We'll probably have to wait for Vita's first full month to get a good look at how it's doing. The full launch of the system only had three days (22-25th) on this NPD. The rest was that early preorder bundle. Still not looking pretty.

I think that the Vita is doomed to be a niche product, especially in the US. I finally saw one in the wild on campus this week. :)

It's not a resounding success, but not a "bomb", I don't think. Definitely lower than many thought, especially in light of recent extrapolations. I was a bit surprised to see the low number, but not shocked.

The next few months will tell the story. The hardcore gamers and Sony fans will jump on it initially and then it's mindshare in the mass market will determine longevity (in the US). Then again, the ipad 3 comes out next week, sooooo.....

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Given that I'd expect XIII-2 to have performed somewhat better in Europe than NA (higher PS3 ownership, less competition) I'd imagine SE are looking at what, 1.5m globally?

I've got to be honest and say that'll probably be tidily profitable for them, especially with the DLC. There's no way that XIII-2 had more than a third of the original's budget, and given that's pretty much what it's sold. I would not be surprised at all to see XIII-3 announced at some point.

jman2050

I dunno, do you expect the Vita at $250 to hold up better in the coming months than the 3DS at $250 did with no competition?

fernoca

I know you're too busy trying to defend Revelations and Capcom's honour and all but:

Reading, how does it work?
Though I guess the implication is that the FEB bundles are included in the 4 days anyway. Well, at least one might assume. Since it was 4 days of the actual launch and the bundles that were released a week earlier. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense; unless they count it as something separate.

We'll probably have to wait for Vita's first full month to get a good look at how it's doing. The full launch of the system only had three days (22-25th) on this NPD. The rest was that early preorder bundle. Still not looking pretty.

Except normally hardware sells fast out the gate then slows down, if we're assuming around 218k for the 3 days plus pre-orderes, I feel it'll probably do similar numbers next month and only drop from their unless a price drop or big title comes out.

360 only sold 70k more than PS3. The gap is definitely getting smaller moving into the sixth year of PS3.

getting closer every month......

ProjectedConsoleChart_v1_460x323.gif

Takuya

Banned
FEB are counted

Even counting those, we can't say that the unit was on sale for 11 days (4 post-launch and7 pre-launch) since we don't know how many FEB units were allocated for the pre-launch. It's not like the console was readily available for purchase pre-launch.

Kazerei

Banned

This months sales
360 426
ps3 360
3ds 262
wii 228
nds 135

Total 1411

Total sales w/o vita = 1411000
Last month sales (divide 162%) = 870987.6543
Last month sales * 187% = 1628746.914
Difference between sales w and w/o vita sales = 217746.9136
Divide by 1000 = 217.7469136

VITA Total ~218K

Assumes PSP and PS2 were zero. If we assume the two were ~75K, then Vita sales are ~230K.

I decided to break this down a little more. Why? I don't know.

Code:
                 Jan    Feb   Change
Nintendo (all)   398k   625k
Xbox 360         270k   426k
PlayStation 3    190k   360k
PS2 + PSP         35k    35k
PS Vita            0k   225k
Total (no Vita)  893k  1446k  +62%
Total (w/ Vita)  893k  1671k  +87%

SUPER LATE EDIT: touched up the numbers ... for fun. This time assuming PS2 + PSP sales were equal.

Petrae

360 only sold 70k more than PS3. The gap is definitely getting smaller moving into the sixth year of PS3.

PS3 actually has the best YOY console hardware comparison numbers so far this year. PS3 fared better than I thought it would, in fact. We'll see if the trend carries over into March.

Top Bottom