• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2012 [Up 3: Kingdoms Of Amalur, Syndicate, Asura]

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Too early to say how it'll do later in the year, but none of the software lined up from March through June (Unit 13, Silent Hill, Resistance, Gravity Rush) seems likely to sell many Vitas to people outside the early adopter audience. I think some pretty poor numbers lie ahead.

The "issue" at the moment is the machine is a purely focused games machine - which is working out fine for me and others, but i'm sure wider audiences are probably looking in with the "meh" shrug.

Still think it'll end up being a successful machine, just may take a good couple of years and post-price cut to spur it.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
There is always a new group of young children every generation that has not played the series yet.

True but there's a reason their called fads. You don't see too many people playing Beyblades anymore. Something that's popular in one generation of children won't neccesarily be popular across all generations. Some are but for example Pokemon cards aren't remotely as popular as they once were.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Nintendo still has one or two more pricedrops it can pull with the Wii but if it can do around 250 in a busy month I don't know if they'd want to. It's decent for a system that has its replacement announced.

I'm guessing handhelds aren't going to get big games outside of the usual first party titles.

Nah, the 3DS is practically the only game in town in Japan right now. It will have plenty of big third-party games, they'll just generally be Japanese ones.

Takao

Banned
True but there's a reason their called fads. You don't see too many people playing Beyblades anymore. Something that's popular in one generation of children won't neccesarily be popular across all generations. Some are but for example Pokemon cards aren't remotely as popular as they once were.

That's a terrible example given Hasbro sold over 30 million of those last year...

Petrae

The "issue" at the moment is the machine is a purely focused games machine - which is working out fine for me and others, but i'm sure wider audiences are probably looking in with the "meh" shrug.

Still think it'll end up being a successful machine, just may take a good couple of years and post-price cut to spur it.

Well said. I agree with this 100%.

Here are NA launch dates vs sales for those interested

GBA June 11, 2001 870K
PSP March 24, 2005 619K
NDS November 21, 2004 480K
3DS March 27, 2011 ~400K
PSV February 22, 2012 220-230K

So only the GBA launched early in the month it came out

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Nintendo still has one or two more pricedrops it can pull with the Wii but if it can do around 250 in a busy month I don't know if they'd want to. It's decent for a system that has its replacement announced.

with those sales they have zero reasons to price cut, especially in the run up to a new machine.

More like people are less and less interested in handhelds.

But I was told quite clearly in the smartphone / tablet threads that the market for dedicated mobile gaming devices is one growing in spite of the enhanced capabilities of the smartphones and tablets. Maybe there is something to discuss after all.

*cough*

pestul

I just hope the devs on board can see past 6 months and its potential.

Busaiku

NPD Launch Months

GBA - 870K
PSP - 619K
NDS - 480K
3DS - ~400K
PSV - 220-230K

GBA > PSP > NDS > 3DS > PSV

PSVita: "Simply the most undesirable handheld yet released"

Keep in mind that 220k - 230k is assuming PS2/PSP sold absolutely nothing at all.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Where is this "FEB Vitas aren't included in the numbers" BS coming from?

I can't imagine any way those numbers were not included.

I'm disappointed numbers are so low. Hopefully word of mouth helps--it's an amazing handheld.

As others have said, though, the 2nd wave of games is really where this system is going to live or die. It had a great set of games at launch. Hopefully we get a LOT more at E3.

UberTag

But I was told quite clearly in the smartphone / tablet threads that the market for dedicated mobile gaming devices is one growing in spite of the enhanced capabilities of the smartphones and tablets.
If you factor in the combined sales of 3DS, DS, PSV and PSP worldwide that's probably a factual statement.

Road

GBA June 11, 2001 870K
PSP March 24, 2005 619K
3DS March 27, 2011 ~400K

The "it only had x days of sales" is a staple of NPD threads. The more it is used as an excuse the worse the target performs when it has the full 30 days of sales.

GBA June 11, 2001 870K
PSP March 24, 2005 619K
3DS March 27, 2011 ~400K

Whelp. That's dat.

A revouir Vita, we hardly knew ye.

Effect

That was my first thought. Shame on you, 3DS owners!

Blame Capcom. They didn't bother to advertise the game at all. If they passed it on to Nintendo then blame NoA who is simply incapable of advertising Nintendo's own games. Look at the crap job they did with Skyward Sword. Look at the horrible job they're doing with Kid Icarus compared to what NCL is doing in Japan. NoA is simply incompetent. Capcom....well right before the release of RE:R they decided to announce and start advertising Resident Evil 6 which is half a year away. No. 3DS owners are not to blame on this.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
PSVita counts only 4 days.....

Possibly, but that's only if the FEBs aren't counted, which doesn't make much sense at all.

3DS sold almost twice as many at the same price in the same amount of days, so it's not an impressive number at all.

Kazerei

Banned
NPD Launch Months

GBA - 870K
PSP - 619K
NDS - 480K
3DS - ~400K
PSV - 220-230K

So launch month isn't a good indicator of long-term success. Because now the 3DS is tracking ahead of the DS, and the DS was far more successful the PSP.

muu

Keep in mind that 220k - 230k is assuming PS2/PSP sold absolutely nothing at all.

For the sales number of Vita (=25% of last month) to come on par with even the 3DS's you'd need at least (400K-220K)*4 = 720K sales of PSP+PS2 combined. Not happening.

Dragon

Banned
NPD Launch Months

GBA - 870K
PSP - 619K
NDS - 480K
3DS - ~400K
PSV - 220-230K

While it's fun to make fun of the Vita, the launch months in each region aren't going to be an indicator of success or failure. The resulting months are of bigger interest, and they show that it's struggling.

I'm glad you set up that inequality. I had no idea what those numbers you posted earlier meant. It wasn't like you listed them from most to fewest. Now it all makes sense.

220K assumes 0
230K assumes 75K Ps2/psp sold.

I can't really assume more then that based on other hardware trends, but even if you doubled that to 150K, Vita is ~241K. It would be a very safe assumption IMO to speculate VITA sold between 220 and 250K over the 4 days it was on the market for this NPD window.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
with those sales they have zero reasons to price cut, especially in the run up to a new machine.

Well this month is higher because of tax returns but yeah, if it can stay above 150 or so they'll probably be fine with it.

They'll probably have to go down when they do launch the Wii U though.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
That's a terrible example given Hasbro sold over 30 million of those last year...

Fine... how much of that was sold in the UK or Europe, since I haven't seen one of those in years and I've been to a fair few primary schools, and general youngs kids clubs to know the presence isn't what it once was. Though obviously I knew they still sold fairly well since the cartoons and merchanising have still been going on but the presence isn't really their anymore.

Takao

Banned
Where is this "FEB Vitas aren't included in the numbers" BS coming from?

NPD said Vita sales were for 4 days which implies they're ignoring the FEB, but it seems that isn't the case (speculation) rather they're just not counting those days because it was a pre-order bundle.

Fine... how much of that was sold in the UK or Europe, since I haven't seen one of those in years and I've been to a fair few primary schools, and general youngs kids clubs to know the presence isn't what it once was.

Hasbro only sells Beyblades in North and South America, and Europe.

No, at best, it sold worse.
We don't know how much those 2 systems sold, could be 30k, could be 50k, maybe more.

It's very possible Vita didn't even break 200k.

No 218K is the floor, it can only get higher when you add in more hardware numbers like PS2 and PSP.

Busaiku

220K assumes 0
230K assumes 75K Ps2/psp sold.

I can't really assume more then that based on other hardware trends, but even if you doubled that to 150K, Vita is ~241K. It would be a very safe assumption IMO to speculate VITA sold between 220 and 250K over the 4 days it was on the market for this NPD window.

Wait, I'm not understanding this.
Why would Vita sales increase if we assume other hardware to be more than 0?

*waiting for tales of abyss numbers*

True story, where the fuck is my copy Scamco? Backordered since Feb 22. uhdfuhsyufgdfuys

Is this true? I think Donny is posting real numbers.

donny2112

Bad comparison statistically because not all numbers are measured over the same amount of sales days.

Looks pretty even to me, except for GBA. Vita had the First Edition Bundles come out on the 15th.

GBA - 20 or 27 days in launch month
NDS - 8 days in launch month
PSP - 10 days in launch month
3DS - 7 days in launch month
PSV - 11 days in launch month

Fine... how much of that was sold in the UK or Europe, since I haven't seen one of those in years and I've been to a fair few primary schools, and general youngs kids clubs to know the presence isn't what it once was. Though obviously I knew they still sold fairly well since the cartoons and merchanising have still been going on but the presence isn't really their anymore.

so what you're saying is that you spend your time cruising schools and playgrounds? ;)

NPD said Vita sales were for 4 days which implies they're ignoring the FEB, but it seems that isn't the case (speculation) rather they're just not counting those days because it was a pre-order bundle.

They also say in the same article
The top-selling game of the month was Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (pictured), which was launched in November and is the top-selling video game of all time.

Takao

Banned
So was Sony's PR regarding sales BS or just cleverley worded?

If you're referring to the "1+ million sold" if you read it, you'd see they included total data from the Japanese and other Asian launches from December.

Looks pretty even to me, except for GBA. Vita had the First Edition Bundles come out on the 15th.

GBA - 20 or 27 days in launch month
NDS - 8 days in launch month
PSP - 10 days in launch month
3DS - 7 days in launch month
PSV - 11 days in launch month

NPD doesn't count the FEB days as actual sales days. It's recorded for 4 in February 2012.

jman2050

My guess is that all the FEBs had their point-of-sale marked on the launch date.

fernoca

I guess they counted FEBs as "preorders" any sold between February 15 and February 21 were counted as sold on the February 22 launch. Which might explain why Anita said "4 days".

So, while it's technically 11 days; they counted it as 4 days.

Unless they counted it as some separate edition, and the numbers are actually higher.
Like back with Mortal Kombat last year, were the numbers they gave out were lower, because they didn't included the other editions (limited and joystick) which moved it from around 900k to 1.1 million.

C-Jo

I guess they counted FEBs as "preorders" any sold between February 15 and February 21 were counted as sold on the February 22 launch. Which might explain why Anita said "4 days".

This is the only logical explanation thus far.

Top Bottom