• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2012 [Up 3: Kingdoms Of Amalur, Syndicate, Asura]

fernoca

So what's happening with that Spyro game ?

Did anyone try it here ?

Skylanders?
Is counted as accessories usually (because of the extra figurines) and they said it was the top selling one and did around $17 million plus the software bundles.

“Three of the top 10 accessory items for the month were Skylander character packs,” Frazier said. “In total, these SKU’s accounted for more than $17 million in sales for the month, and if added to the sales generated by the software, Skylanders easily claims the top spot for content-related sales.”

Here's the OT with some people that tried it around here. :p

As a note, 3DS sold nearly 400k in its first few days before dropping to less than 200k in its first full month. Could be looking pretty scary bad for Vita if something similar happens.

Takao

Banned
So what's happening with that Spyro game ?

Did anyone try it here ?

There's a pretty huge GAF OT on it. I bought the 3DS game and it was the definition of a mediocre platformer. Supposedly the console version is very different and more Gauntlet-like.

ZenaxPure

No. FFXIII was hyped for 4 years, XIII-2 was not.

This! It's crazy how many people in this thread do not understand how all of this works. The marketing push for the original FF13 was insane. We got new trailers every E3, it was hyped like crazy from media outlets, and there were television ads everywhere. Also you can't forget them driving around a literal FF13 labeled bus to let people play the game.

13-2 had none of that. Something people have to remember is games that see mega CoD/Skyrim/Pokemon/etc numbers of sells come from crazy amounts of advertising, press events, and so on. The amount of effort SE put into advertising 13-2 was minimal really. There was barely any footage during the development and a lot of us outside of Japan didn't even get good looks at the game until the month prior to release where SE was releasing an internet trailer every week or so.

I've got to be honest and say that'll probably be tidily profitable for them, especially with the DLC. There's no way that XIII-2 had more than a third of the original's budget, and given that's pretty much what it's sold. I would not be surprised at all to see XIII-3 announced at some point.

Also this! Can't believe it took someone so long to point this out. I'd be very surprised if FF13-2 does not get a better profit for SE than 13 ever did. It's very clear they did not put as much money into the production values of the game. I mean heck, the first 2 hours of FF13 has more pre-rendered CG scenes than 13-2 had in total. That on top of the fact that there are people out there that will eat up 3$ bikini downloads and you're looking at what is probably a pretty good profit for SE.

Given that I'd expect XIII-2 to have performed somewhat better in Europe than NA (higher PS3 ownership, less competition) I'd imagine SE are looking at what, 1.5m globally?

I've got to be honest and say that'll probably be tidily profitable for them, especially with the DLC. There's no way that XIII-2 had more than a third of the original's budget, and given that's pretty much what it's sold. I would not be surprised at all to see XIII-3 announced at some point.

Even though I really like XIII, and have yet to dig Into my copy of XIII-2, please do not use the XIII name any more SE. Let it die.

Petrae

Using 2 months as sample size for a trend is retarded. Especially since the PS3 just got blown away in the last quarter of 2011.

Indeed, two months isn't quite a trend. That's why I'm not jumping on the Year of the PS3 train yet. We'll see what March brings.

Spiegel

I just want to know how RE:R did. Not expecting anything big though

"Lots of interest in RE: Revelations. It didn't chart on the Top 10 individual SKUs, and the 10th spot on that list sold 135K (Skyrim 360). Not a lot of perspective, but there you go."

>0 and <135k

EagleEyes

Congrats to Microsoft and the everlasting 360. Cant believe in its 7th year and without a price cut since forever its still doing this kind of business.

Tiktaalik

I feel like RE:R had a really small shipment because of the typo issue. On release it sold out within a few days in my city. According to my local EB clerk they've had shipments since but it's still currently hard to find.

13-2 had none of that. Something people have to remember is games that see mega CoD/Skyrim/Pokemon/etc numbers of sells come from crazy amounts of advertising, press events, and so on. The amount of effort SE put into advertising 13-2 was minimal really. There was barely any footage during the development and a lot of us outside of Japan didn't even get good looks at the game until the month prior to release where SE was releasing an internet trailer every week or so.

This isn't even close to reality. There were trailers for XIII-2 pretty much every few months after it's anoucment. A remarkable steady flow of information for Square. The game appeared in demo form at pretty much every game related event it could up until it's release. Spike(and I'm sure other cable channels) had steady amounts of commercials during the week of it's release as well. What you're saying, simply is'nt true. It wasn't an event, but we sure had tons of info about the game well before release. It was out there and people knew about it.

Jeeze, Activision found the new cow.

The next generation will revolve around the development of titles with massive amounts of (micro) DLC. It just makes smart business sense.

Now what is more interesting is if companies decide to combat the competition by releasing lower priced titles (versus $60 now) in order to increase overall ownership and increase the installment base for DLC. Current trends like TF2 seem to support this model.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
coming months than the 3DS at $250 did with no competition?

it all depends on the second phase of games - the 3DS was barren as well as expensive, if Sony make the same mistake then they are idiots , especially considering what they kicked out at launch.

If the games are there, then sales have a much higher chance of following. I'm not sure why the 3DS is held up as an example of what is going to happen with the Vita just yet.

Seems before the feeling was "Vita more expensive than home consoles , who will buy it?!" it posts up 218k (theoretically) in 4 days and it's -still- disappointing/bomba/bu bu bu look what the 3DS did !

I dunno - we're at the point where it's "bombed" no matter what for some people. It's not setting the world on fire, but it's not spitting blood at the roadside by a long stretch.

XIII-2 is probably going to be more profitable than XIII relative to its budget and possibly even overall since Square has finally embraced the bullshit that is DLC.

donny2112

NPD Launch Months

GBA - 870K
PSP - 619K
NDS - 480K
3DS - ~400K
PSV - 220-230K

GBA > PSP > NDS > 3DS > PSV

PSVita: "Simply the most undesirable handheld yet released"

C-Jo

XIII-2 is probably going to be more profitable than XIII relative to its budget and possibly even overall since Square has finally embraced the bullshit that is DLC.

This is an excellent point. Looking past the hilarious sales drop off in comparison to XIII, I'll bet XIII-2 turns out being pretty profitable for them.

Huff

Banned
No real reason for it to be mentioned as it wasnt a launch title. Vita being new they had to give some idea of software placement. NPD does not want to share too much data
Besides being the next game of a huge franchise?

it all depends on the second phase of games - the 3DS was barren as well as expensive, if Sony make the same mistake then they are idiots , especially considering what they kicked out at launch.

If the games are there, then sales have a much higher chance of following. I'm not sure why the 3DS is held up as an example of what is going to happen with the Vita just yet.

Seems before the feeling was "Vita more expensive than home consoles , who will buy it?!" it posts up 218k (theoretically) in 4 days and it's -still- disappointing/bomba/bu bu bu look what the 3DS did !

I dunno - we're at the point where it's "bombed" no matter what for some people. It's not setting the world on fire, but it's not spitting blood at the roadside by a long stretch.

Too early to say how it'll do later in the year, but none of the software lined up from March through June (Unit 13, Silent Hill, Resistance, Gravity Rush) seems likely to sell many Vitas to people outside the early adopter audience. I think some pretty poor numbers lie ahead.

Petrae

NPD Launch Months

GBA - 870K
PSP - 619K
NDS - 480K
3DS - ~400K
PSV - 220-230K

To be fair, it's a limited launch window, is perceived as expensive by mass market when compared to 3DS, and is battling with iOS and Android. It's tough out there.

That said, yeah... it's lower than I would have thought.

Too bad about the seemingly underwhelming numbers of XIII-2. At any rate, that gives me hope of an aggressive price slash sometime this year.

I wonder how long will the 360 streak of solid sales figures will last. Or if the unveiling of its sucessor this year will have an effect in sales for 360.

NPD Launch Months

GBA - 870K
PSP - 619K
NDS - 480K
3DS - ~400K
PSV - 220-230K

Bad comparison statistically because not all numbers are measured over the same amount of sales days. Example the PSV has 4 days for this cycle and I bet some of those other numbers have weeks if not the entire month of data behind their numbers.

ZenaxPure

This isn't even close to reality. There were trailers for XIII-2 pretty much every few months after it's anoucment. A remarkable steady flow of information for Square. The game appeared in demo form at pretty much every game related event it could up until it's release. Spike(and I'm sure other cable channels) had steady amounts of commercials during the week of it's release as well. What you're saying, simply is'nt true.

Compared to 13, not at all, which is my point and quite true. They simply did not market 13-2 as hard as 13, it's a simple fact. There was not a 13-2 bus driving around the world for people on the street to hop on and try out the game. There was not YEARS of trailers coming out to build up the game. Yes there was advertising and trailers for it (which I pointed out) but not nearly as much time/money went into advertising it as FF13 did which is a huge factor in sales when you're shooting for a game to do numbers like FF13 did.

UberTag

NPD Launch Months

GBA - 870K
PSP - 619K
NDS - 480K
3DS - ~400K
PSV - 220-230K

I don't know about that. How does the Vita compare to the Lynx, the Game Gear, the Nomad, the TurboExpress, the Wonderswan, the N-GAGE or the NeoGeo Pocket Color? Seems like it has a ways to go to be the "most undesirable".

I wonder if more Xperia Play phone handsets were sold in its first month on the market than 218-230K.

This months sales
360 426
ps3 360
3ds 262
wii 228
nds 135

Total 1411

Total sales w/o vita = 1411000
Last month sales (divide 162%) = 870987.6543
Last month sales * 187% = 1628746.914
Difference between sales w and w/o vita sales = 217746.9136
Divide by 1000 = 217.7469136

VITA Total ~218K

Assumes PSP and PS2 were zero. If we assume the two were ~75K, then Vita sales are ~230K.

Nicely done. Considerably lower sales than the revised 300k estimates. Well, it's only the beginning. The March drop off will be something to watch as well.

Top Bottom