• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2013 [Up5: Dead Space 3, Crysis 3, Official PS3/WiiU]

flattie

Every third party developer and publishers are on board for the PS4 Durango. There won´t be any software drought, not to mention heavy hitters like COD, BF, AC, FIFA will all come to PS4 and Durango. We will see anyway. There´s no way in hell that PS4 and Durango to sell less the WiiU is selling now so shortly after release if ever.

Er, 3 out of 4 of those 'heavy hitters' are also on the U. Now.

Er, 3 out of 4 of those 'heavy hitters' are also on the U. Now.

I don't think that really matters. The people who play those games either already play them on PS3 or 360 and/or will play them on the next machines.

Literally no reason for them to get the WiiU to play them on.

Given the much lower start n EU compare to Japan and US I would expect a much lower weekly average there as well. 2.4 million sold is probably as best they can hope for for current WW total.
I mean it could be worse.

That could be the high end of sales. It was just a guess. Sales being lower on the margins of 50% versus America.

Concept17

Then you explain to me whats going on.

Poor consumer reception.
Terrible marketing.
Lack of games being released during the launch window.
Confusing message to consumers as to what the system is.
Nintendo's inability to push games out the door.
Nintendo's inability to push an online platform like PSN/XBL.
Lack of third party support.
Nintendo's unwillingness to get more third parties on board.

Among more reasons.

Thats true..these "heavy hitters" (COD, BF, AC, FIFA) he talked about also have a high chance of being on Wii U, also Nintendos own software.

Yeah, but these games are much more associated with PS360, so it´s easier to see them move on to Durango and PS4 instead of the WiiU, since we know that they have not moved on to the WiiU even with the release of heavy hitters like COD, and AC.

Honey Bunny

Do the Lego games still chart? I thought they were pretty popular two years ago, until the market got flooded with Lego releases.

No chance. It'll be lucky to get near 100k and next month has GoW, Gears, Bioshock, Luigi's Mansion, Starcraft, Tomb Raider, MLB 13.

They fucked up. Royally

They expected NSMB to be the big mover and NintendoLand to be the "it" title of the generation. The thing that increased visibility of the platform and affirmed it's hook.

I don't know if that is exactly fucking up or completely misreading the market. But it's definitely doing them no favors.

Hiltz

Do the Lego games still chart? I thought they were pretty popular two years ago, until the market got flooded with Lego releases.

- Lego Star Wars 1 was the 13th best selling game of 2005. It sold over 3.3 million by March 2006 and reached 6.7 million copies by May 2009.

- In 2007, Lego Indiana Jones ranked highest for Wii, placing 8th on NPD top 10 software chart with 294k copies sold. DS version came in 9th place with 267.8k copies sold. The 360 version came in 20th place.

- Lego Star Wars II reportedly sold over 1 million copies durng its opening week. The GameCube, Xbox, and PlayStation 2 versions were the third, eighth, and ninth-best selling games of 2006, respectively. It ranked as the 5th best selling game in 2006 for UK.The GameCube, GBA, and DS versions were the first, second, and fifth best-selling of January 2007 for their respective platforms.

- Lego Star Wars: Complete Saga was the 4th best selling game on Wii and 9th for DS in April 2009. All platforms combined sold over 3.4 million copies.

- The March 2011 release of Lego Star Wars II: Clone Wars ranked 6th place on the NPD top 10 software chart. It went on to sell over 4 million as of May 2012.

- Fall 2008's Lego Batman sold over 7 million copies worldwide as of August 2010. By May 2012 ,the game sold over 11 million copies.

- According to Digital Spy, 2012's Lego Batman 2: DC Superheroes the best selling Lego game ever. It ranked as the best selling game on NPD top 10 chart in June. It ranked 2nd for the following month. The game is currently scheduled to come to Wii U in TBA Spring 2013. It's basically a year old port.

- November 2012's Lego Lord of the Rings did not make it on the top 10 NPD software chart.

Poor consumer reception.
Terrible marketing.
Lack of games being released during the launch window.
Confusing message to consumers as to what the system is.
Nintendo's inability to push games out the door.
Nintendo's inability to push an online platform like PSN/XBL.
Lack of third party support.
Nintendo's unwillingness to get more third parties on board.

Among more reasons.
I agree with most of this but when I say "Nintendo is purposely suffering.." Im not saying that they botched the launch on purpose or delaying games for the hell of it or whatever else they are just unable to do. Im saying it with belief that Nintendo cannot do things at this moment and turn things around. They cannot just release games, and fix OS and drop price right away. They have to do it all at a time in which they can maximize the effort. Whats the use of dropping price with no software? Whats the use of releasing games that are unfinished? Thats all Im saying, some of you are twisting the words and bolding whatever you want in order to make fun of me.

How are people making a big deal about the price? If price was an issue, it isn't as if the standard model is somehow an undesirable product, and it's only $30 more expensive than a PS3. And yet somehow the PS3 manages to sell 4x as much more than 6 years into its life.

The company got too conservative during the peak of the Wii. They should have taken more of the record profits and increased their development team sizes, and either created new studios or purchased new studios to help create HD content.

This is the biggest problem. Software sells hardware.

They botched pretty much everything else about the launch, but the worst botch was not having games or even a single game that sells the system. And that's embarrassing because games are the one thing we expect Nintendo go be good at.

these systems should be heavily promoted by microsoft and sony, and they will have the backing of the small core gamer market, which is important in building a console early on. that's what was the backbone of the xbox 360 for its first few years.

They will also have full 3rd party support and marketing. Something WiiU won't.

Im not saying its gonna dig them out of a hole but Nintendo exclusives are at the top with other exclusives.

edit: Then someone tell me whats going on since its so funny. I want to know.

Nintendo thought that a sequel to New Super Mario Bros coupled with Nintendoland would give them a big launch. The casual audience who flocked to NSMB didn't materialize, and Nintendoland has been met with little to no interest as well.

I think it is becoming increasingly clear that the casual market simply isn't interested in what Nintendo is selling these days. I imagine Wii Fit U will also fail to connect with a wide audience. The market that Nintendo rode to record profits has moved on to smartphones and tablets.

This has left them in a position with little third party support, no major first party titles coming in the near future, and two competitors that are about to dominate media and consumer attention for the foreseeable future.

-Lego Star Wars 1 was the 13th best selling game of 2005. It sold over 3.3 million by March 2006 and sold 6.7 million by May 2009.

- In 2007, Lego Indiana Jones ranked highes for Wii t at 8th place on NPD top 10 software chart for Wii with 294k copies sold. DS version came in 9th place with 267.8k copies sold. The 360 version came in 20th place.

- Lego Star Wars II reportedly sold over 1 million copies durng its opening week. The GameCube, Xbox, and PlayStation 2 versions were the third, eighth, and ninth-best selling games of 2006, respectively. It ranked as the 5th best selling game in 2006 for UK.The GameCube, GBA, and DS versions were the first, second, and fifth best-selling of January 2007 for their respective platforms.

- Lego Star Wars: Complete Saga was the 4th best selling game on Wii and 9th for DS in April 2009. All platforms combined sold over 3.4 million copies.

- March 2011's release of Lego Star Wars II: Clone Wars sold over 4 million as of May 2012.

How much of that is based on the IP? Will people spend $300+ for a Lego title that takes place in a generic setting?

This is the biggest problem. Software sells hardware.

They botched pretty much everything else about the launch, but the worst botch was not having games or even a single game that sells the system. And that's embarrassing because games are the one thing we expect Nintendo go be good at.

What is weird is that Nintendo made a HUGE deal about Nintendoland at E3, and even then everyone seemed a bit confused as to why were they doing so.

PhantomR

Banned
lookingaround.gif

So we don't have three new Wii U games launching in literally a week's time? Ok then.

Nintendo thought that a sequel to New Super Mario Bros coupled with Nintendoland would give them a big launch. The casual audience who flocked to NSMB didn't materialize, and Nintendoland has been met with little to no interest as well.

I think it is becoming increasingly clear that the casual market simply isn't interested in what Nintendo is selling these days. I imagine Wii Fit U will also fail to connect with a wide audience. The market that Nintendo rode to record profits has moved on to smartphones and tablets.

This has left them in a position with little third party support, no major first party titles coming in the near future, and two competitors that are about to dominate media and consumer attention for the foreseeable future.
And I agree with all, I dont see Wii Fit U doing big things either. This is why im saying they just have to ride it until they can do something about the console that will change the perspective of which direction it will need to go. Maybe the software is the problem, maybe the price is the problem, maybe all these things are the problem but changes for it wont come overnight. If they go like sony and do vita things meaning let it be for 1 year at the current state it was when it launched then they deserve it. But Nintendo has addressed through NDs and numerous interviews that they are indeed going to attempt to fix things with the Wii U.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
No chance. It'll be lucky to get near 100k and next month has GoW, Gears, Bioshock, Luigi's Mansion, Starcraft.

Pretty much. God of War, Gears of War, Bioshock, Luigi's Mansion, Starcraft, MLB 13, Tomb Raider, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Black Ops 2, NBA2K13 in no real order is my guess for a top 10 for the month.

flattie

I don't think that really matters. The people who play those games either already play them on PS3 or 360 and/or will play them on the next machines.

Literally no reason for them to get the WiiU to play them on.

This is yet to be seen. However, I do agree that those games make little difference to Wii U's plight, but I suppose my point was that they aren't the types of games which will drive initial sales of new, supposedly expensive consoles either.

Shush. Dreamcast had a mind blowing launch, the opposite of the Wii U's. :/

Interestingly enough, the Dreamcast at a roughly equivalent time in its release, sold 1 million units in the USA. Comparatively, Wii U has also roughly sold 1 million units in the USA.

Interestingly enough, the Dreamcast at a roughly equivalent time in its release, sold 1 million units in the USA. Comparatively, Wii U has also roughly sold 1 million units in the USA.

When I looked it up online, the Dreamcast actually hit that mark after November, so it hit 1 million after just 3 months. To be fair that's actually better than most systems released since it, but all the same it is amusing to say that the Wii U is tracking behind every console released since the N64.

I really don't think how the Wii U is selling has any real bearing on how the the PS4 and Durango will do next January and February.

There are fundamental problems with the Wii U, which they won't have.

And I think the comparison to 2006 indicates that even with "last gen" systems like the PS3 and 360 still selling relatively well, new systems don't necessarily have to sink to the levels the Wii U is currently seeing.

When I looked it up online, the Dreamcast actually hit that mark after November, so it hit 1 million after just 3 months. To be fair that's actually better than most systems released since it, but all the same it is amusing to say that the Wii U is tracking behind every console released since the N64.

Interestingly enough, I have an article from December 20th, 1999 (4 months in) that claims >1 million Dreamcast sales in North America, and apparently it's sourced from NPD's TRSTS service.

.....But on closer examination, I see that it used November 1999 NPD data, so yeah, never mind. The Dreamcast gathered 1 million sales in 77 days...took the Wii U 105 days to accomplish the same thing!

NateDrake

I really don't think how the Wii U is selling has any real bearing on how the the PS4 and Durango will do next January and February.

And I think the comparison to 2006 indicates that even with "last gen" systems like the PS3 and 360 still selling relatively well, new systems don't necessarily have to sink to the levels the Wii U is currently seeing.

Nor does it mean PS4 & Durango will sell well. Too many unknown variables right now. I expect strong sales from their launch until early 2014 just because hardcore people will flock to them. But, if both launch during the same week, who knows what will happen.

Once launch lineups and prices are announced way down the line, we'll have a better picture.

farnham

Banned
So should nintendo sack wiiu in europe and NA as it seems to be a cost driver only and make it a japan only console like wonderswan? They could save a lot of marketing, administration money cut the workforce in the region.. At this point it seems clear that nobody gives a damn about that platform anyway.

What is weird is that Nintendo made a HUGE deal about Nintendoland at E3, and even then everyone seemed a bit confused as to why were they doing so.

They blew the intial reveal. They blew the re-reveal. They blew the launch. It's been mistake after mistake with this console.

It's really a shame, and it's baffling what they were doing coming off a 2 year long drought on Wii. I guess all their development resources just went to the 3DS, which due to their OTHER mistakes, needed saving of its own.

It really doesnt to be honest, but if talking about next gen system I guess just use the current one out as example which is no doubt not very wise, but hey. Its kinda too early to tell which kind of problems they may have there could be all kinds of issues let alone the rumors of stuff like "always online" and "no used games".

farnham

Banned
Nintendo has a history of not listening to itself. They're completely undoing all of their "progressive" statements about not letting the Wii U be another GameCube.

Nintendo's original estimates for GameCube shipments: 50 million by 2005. They shipped 21.74 million by the time it was discontinued.

Iwata on avoiding a GameCube situation: "Maybe the reason we were able to make the markdown decision [for the 3DS] is our lesson [that we learned] from Nintendo GameCube."

Iwata on calling the GameCube a failure: "I do not intend to declare how many Wii we will be selling today, but Wii will be a failure if it cannot sell far more than GameCube did. In fact, we shouldn't continue this business if our only target is to outsell GameCube. Naturally, we are making efforts so that Wii will show a far greater result than GameCube."

Reggie on not making their console end up like the GameCube: ""First, we've got make sure that the titles in the first six months are strong and can drive sales. We've also got to make sure the console is attractive visually. And we've got to deliver on the right consumer needs."

And yet...

wxT2UQK.png

Is there a graph with ps3, 360 too, just for comparison sake

Striek

So should nintendo sack wiiu in europe and NA as it seems to be a cost driver only and make it a japan only console like wonderswan? They could save a lot of marketing, administration money cut the workforce in the region.. At this point it seems clear that nobody gives a damn about that platform anyway.

I gotta say, I'm somewhat enjoying this new shtick you've decided to run with lately. An improvement anyway.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Great seeing Ninokuni selling with a good pace. I hoped more for Rising, but it shouldn't be too bad.

3DS, despite being quite lower than last year (and that's happening for one reason: no Mario no MK sustaining sales after Holidays, something that will certainly corrected next year thanks to Pokémon) saw quite a big increase in weekly sales: from 29k (145k) to 47.5k (190k). A 63% increase, bigger than last year (from 42.5 to 65.5k, 54% increase). This could bode well for March, especially end of March.

Top Bottom