• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2009

donny2112

bmf said:
Did MS just completely ignore the NPD numbers in that release?

No, since they gave the tie ratio. :D For reference, the tie ratio has most likely remained unchanged, to two signficant digits, since Sep-08.

2h376z9.jpg

Gaborn said:
No matter how well or poorly KZ2 does next month those 2 days of "slaes" will be mentioned frequently. If it does fantastically people will say "SEE? and that was only 2 days! Look for the momentum to continue in March NPD! The year of the PS3 has begun!" If it doesn't do very well (say if it's below the top 5) then people are going to say "But it was only two days! wait until march to see how it REALLY did"

It's like LittleBigPlanet part 2.

Why does Sony insist on releasing titles near the end of the NPD timeframe? Think of the fanboys, Sony! THINK OF THE FANBOYS

Ezduo

Banned
Gaborn said:
No matter how well or poorly KZ2 does next month those 2 days of "slaes" will be mentioned frequently. If it does fantastically people will say "SEE? and that was only 2 days! Look for the momentum to continue in March NPD! The year of the PS3 has begun!" If it doesn't do very well (say if it's below the top 5) then people are going to say "But it was only two days! wait until march to see how it REALLY did"
So basically shit is going to hit the fan regardless. Got ya.

Damn I forgot how much of an iron-grip Nintendo has on the West after seeing the Media-Create thread.

And jeez-loiuse SONY. The PS3 is almost under 200k.

And once again Wii > 360 & PS3. So how much longer until the streams are crossed.

Ezduo said:
So basically shit is going to hit the fan regardless. Got ya.

Well, yeah :lol

But since Wollan is banned, and Hoffman is apparently permabanned, I don't know how many fireworks we're going to see.

bigfurb

Gaborn said:
Sure, but the fact that price is holding back the PS3 is a secondary problem from Sony's perspective. The real problem is that their gaming division isn't profitable enough to justify dropping the price like they would need to for any hope of competitiveness.

They gave up hope of competitiveness when they launched a system with a 600 dollar price tag (that they were actually selling for a loss). Again, that's crazy. The fact that it's sold this well is downright miraculous, and tbh, quite baffling

Weisheit

Nintendo said:
Nintendo’s total sales grew by $300 million in January, offsetting declines on other platforms.
Ouch.

Nintendo said:
Similar momentum was witnessed in software sales, with 20 of the top 30 games of January made for Nintendo systems.
Same as last month.

Gaborn

timetokill said:

But since Wollan is banned, and Hoffman is apparently permabanned, I don't know how many fireworks we're going to see.

domokunrox is still around at least, he's good for a few laughs.

bigfurb - Yep, agreed. Just saying that if they COULD get the price down (which they can't) to level at which they were competitive they would be able to do so because the gaming division would be making a significant profit (which it isn't). Therefore while the price of the PS3 is a major reason it's not being adopted by consumers, the choices Sony ultimately made that made the PS3 so expensive and thus more financially draining on them are the basic problem, the price is the secondary issue.

Flying_Phoenix said:
Damn I forgot how much of an iron-grip Nintendo has on the West after seeing the Media-Create thread.

Well at least on the NPD charts there is more than just whatever is selling on nintendo hardware.

timetokill said:

I'm sure we'll see a few nuclear meltdowns. This NPD seems to have landed with a bit of a *splut* but Killzone 2 is sure to make it more interesting.

Ninty:
Nintendo kicked off 2009 the same way it finished 2008: with a bang. While the video game industry grew by $150 million (12 percent) year-on-year, Nintendo’s total sales grew by $300 million in January, offsetting declines on other platforms.

Sales of the Wii™ console in January were up 148 percent over January 2007, with nearly 680,000 units sold, according to the independent NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the United States. Since Wii launched in November 2006, it has sold more than 18 million units in the United States.

Sales of the Nintendo DS™ system in January were also up 99 percent over January 2007, and it once again was the top-selling portable system with more than 510,000 units sold. Since Nintendo DS launched in November 2004, it has sold more than 28 million units in the United States.

“Nintendo’s significant contribution to January’s industry growth validates our internal research showing that Nintendo continues to expand the gaming audience,” said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “We are excited to see that consumers, new and existing, are choosing to entertain themselves in new ways with the diversity of our software lineup.”

Similar momentum was witnessed in software sales, with 20 of the top 30 games of January made for Nintendo systems. Of those, five games made for Nintendo systems finished in the top 10 best-sellers of January. These games include Wii Fit™ at No. 1 with more than 777,000 sold, Wii Play™ at No. 2 with nearly 415,000 sold, Mario Kart™ Wii at No. 3 with more than 292,000 sold, New Super Mario Bros. for Nintendo DS at No. 7 with nearly 135,000 sold, and Mario Kart™ DS at No. 8 with more than 132,000 sold.

Grecco

Burai said:
You can't blame the "experts" for that. All they can do is go by historical precedent and that said that the PSone and PS2 had regular price drops once they'd saturated the market at their current price to bring in new customers.

What the analysts couldn't predict was that Sony would eschew this model with the PS3. That Sony would keep the price at the same level long after they'd exhausted all consumer interest at that price.

The analysts couldn't predict that Sony would lose their fucking minds and looking back at NPD threads, neither could GAF.

The sings were clearly on the wall, the DS, the underdog, the weaker system kicked the ass of the hip, nicer graphics, sony system. The signs were there. Analysts were just blind. (They predicted the PSP would kick the Ds's ass too)

lawblob said:
Once again begging the question, who in the fuck is buying the PS3?

People buying them for Blue Ray players.. Theres an incredible amount of redundancy between the X360/PS3 userbases. Many 360 owners are PS3 owners. How else do you explain how software is doing on both? Wheres Skate? Wheres LOTR on PS3?

deepbrown said:
Fanboy: Funny that the Wii sells souble the 360, despite the 360 being cheaper. More funny that the PS3 keeps up with the 360, despite being twice as expensive.

Not as funny as your posts

deepbrown said:
Aren't people forgetting that the PS3 and 360 sold exactly the same numbers in 2008, worldwide? :)

This is NPDs dog

Christopher said:
I don't understand the appeal of Wii Fit...do people think they're going to lose weight with it??

its WII FIT not WII LOOSE WEIGHT! and it does help you get fit

jetjevons said:
Someone got their Media Create in my NPD again.

*sigh*

Great news for Nintendo. Bad news for anyone who wants new games.

you can always make a wii game.

bmf said:
I'm sure we'll see a few nuclear meltdowns. This NPD seems to have landed with a bit of a *splut* but Killzone 2 is sure to make it more interesting.

I think Killzone 2 will sell like crazy, but I bet there's little change in PS3 hardware sales. : /

TTP said:
Could you extend that till today for the 360? (Perhaps by shrinking the months bar?)

You can just use the other charts he has to make a rough estimate for the 360 numbers. Its going to have another small jump in a bit and then level out to a steady increase again. I think.

Xenon

Relaxed Muscle said:

:lol that is just great. All we need is to have replace the first car with a 360 and
second one with a wii. This almost makes we want to load that game back up, almost.

JudgeN

Grecco said:
People buying them for Blue Ray players.. Theres an incredible amount of redundancy between the X360/PS3 userbases. Many 360 owners are PS3 owners. How else do you explain how software is doing on both? Wheres Skate? Wheres LOTR on PS3?

I like to see you back this up with facts, consider they get the same games this doesn't seem to be the case at all. And if it was the Sony first party games would actually sell gangbusters but they don't either.

Do we have LBP numbers? It had showed some decent legs for a PS3 game.

Either way at the end of the day, HD game makers need the PS3 userbase to help sale games. Hardware numbers don't really matter unless game makers magically stop making games for the 360 (which we all know that isn't going to happen). As long as PS3 owners get the games that's all we should be worried about.

Gaborn said:

The game is going to sell well noone denies that. But I think like many it'll be to the current base.

The last game to jump hardware was MGS4, and you knew it I mean how many people did you read were waiting to buy PS3 for that. You don't hear many people saying that with Killzone 2, it's mostly current PS3 owners that are championing the game.

If Sony did a surprise price drop + Killzone 2 now that I think could be big.

I guess we'll see the next two months.

comedy bomb said:
I think Killzone 2 will sell like crazy, but I bet there's little change in PS3 hardware sales. : /
That's about where I think it will be. I also expect lots of comparisons to MGS4 and such. Should make for a good time.

Slavik81

Grecco said:
Really not.

I don't have the numbers on me, but suffice to say that no more than a few percent of the userbase overlap.

HylianTom

Banned
Nintendo said:
While the video game industry grew by $150 million (12 percent) year-on-year, Nintendo’s total sales grew by $300 million in January, offsetting declines on other platforms.

Brutal, Nintendo. Not as nasty as that pie chart you produced last month, but still.. damn.. :lol

JudgeN said:
Your right its proven with every 1st party game released that sells like crap.

No, you're arguing that 360 owners are just buying games indiscriminately. If they owned both a 360 and a PS3, there's the chance that they're buying more 360 games because those games appeal to them more than PS3 first-party titles. It is completely feasible that a multi-platform owner simply doesn't find LittleBigPlanet appealing, and instead picks up The Force Unleashed or something on 360 instead.

NolbertoS

Totally forgot about this time of the month...nothing surprises me...I love the PS3, but fuck it's dead in the water at the moment :(..still I keep buying games for it, and Final Fantasy XIII will get dibs on it. The 360 is still going strong, but I'm sure Bill and Co. still see Nintendo as the mountain to overcome, if the want to dominate the gaming industry from top to bottom. MS is following Sony's PS1 Marketing strategy on how they beat Nintendo, but Nintendo won't die if ever. Well..seems like a 2 console future could happen next gen, although I would prefer one console to save me some money on buying every console every gen *reminsces about the NES era*

m3k

Xenon said:
:lol that is just great. All we need is to have replace the first car with a 360 and
second one with a wii. This almost makes we want to load that game back up, almost.

edit: nvm

reading fail

Dalthien

Ninty said:
While the video game industry grew by $150 million (12 percent) year-on-year, Nintendo’s total sales grew by $300 million in January, offsetting declines on other platforms.
So year over year:

Nintendo platforms: up $300M
Sony+MS platforms: down $150M

Gotta figure the PS2 is responsible for a good part of the decline.

Ninty said:
Similar momentum was witnessed in software sales, with 20 of the top 30 games of January made for Nintendo systems
Wow!

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
There's no way in hell Halo Wars outsells Killzone 2 right? Even with the license, it's a fairly generic (imo based on demo) RTS vs. a graphics first FPS.

Strike

Musashi Wins! said:
There's no way in hell Halo Wars outsells Killzone 2 right? Even with the license, it's a fairly generic (imo based on demo) RTS vs. a graphics first FPS.

You never know (Install bases, MS vs Sony marketing, competition from other big games like SF IV AND RE 5.). Either way, the next two NPD's will be bloodbaths.

Musashi Wins! said:

Almost certainly Killzone will outsell HaloWars purely based on the appeal of their respective genres on consoles.

Of course I'm wishing for the opposite since it would make some of the greatest npd threads ever. ;)

Rlan

NPD SALES DECEMBER 2009

360 CALL OF DUTY MODERN WARFARE 2 1.63M*
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE 1.46M
WII SPORTS RESORT 1.23M
WII FIT W/ BALANCE BOARD 999K
WII MARIO KART W/ WHEEL 878K
WII GUITAR HERO 5 859K*
WII MARIO & SONIC AT THE WINTER OLYMPICS 699K
PS3 CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2 633K
360 ASSASSIN'S CREED 2 650K
NDS MARIO & SONIC AT THE WINTER OLYMPICS 500K

How accurate do you think I am? ;)

markatisu

Musashi Wins! said:

I would not be so sure, Walmart is whoring the shit out of Halo Wars with big displays (past games to receive the same treatment were Halo 3, Madden, Mario Kart, Wii Fit, and Professor Layton)

I have yet to see anything in mass market advertising KZ2 to that extent

Musashi Wins! said:
I think you just defined the parameters for a perfect meltdown. I'll be looking forward to March's NPD thread even more.

Rlan said:
NPD SALES DECEMBER 2009

WII PLAY W/ REMOTE 1.46M
WII SPORTS RESORT 1.23M
WII GUITAR HERO 5 859K*

List is missing the new Zelda for Wii

cvxfreak

Rlan said:
NPD SALES DECEMBER 2009

WII PLAY W/ REMOTE 1.46M
WII SPORTS RESORT 1.23M
WII GUITAR HERO 5 859K*

:lol Well played.

donny2112

Rlan said:
NPD SALES DECEMBER 2009

WII PLAY W/ REMOTE 1.46M
WII SPORTS RESORT 1.23M
WII GUITAR HERO 5 859K*

You missed WII CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2.

Actual

USConsoles-13.png

Year over Year Trends

yoy_360-10.png

yoy_PS3-10.png

yoy_WII-10.png

soldat7

Wii Will Rock U said:
AND MKDS ALONG WITH NSMB IS STILL SELLING THIS WELL? WHAT THE HELL?

Those are two very logical games for new DS owners (all 3.4 billion of them) to pick up with their purchase. That's what I did.

giuliu said:
can we ban this crap? guestimating in NPD sales threads? might as well unban chartz.
There's nothing wrong with a well grounded estimate based on current trends.. I'm not sure where you got 'guestimating' from.

Top Bottom