• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2009

AniHawk

giuliu said:
can we ban this crap? guestimating in NPD sales threads? might as well unban chartz.

Guesstimates are usually only for Europe. We use NPD and Media-Create for everything else.

giuliu

Banned
Jaded Alyx said:
There's nothing wrong with a well grounded estimate based on current trends.. I'm not sure where you got 'guestimating' from.

worldwide sales is always a guestimate.
Isn't this the reason chartz is banned?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
giuliu said:
worldwide sales is always a guestimate.
Isn't this the reason chartz is banned?

No thats not the reason charts is banned. Its because chartz bullshits all their numbers, month after month, and claims them as reliable on par with official trackers.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Is it strange that the only thing I find surprising about these results is that people actually bought LotR: Conquest?

giuliu

Banned
HK-47 said:
No thats not the reason charts is banned. Its because chartz bullshits all their numbers, month after month

I'd say the world wide "estimates" base on us+japan data are bullshit too.

giuliu said:
can we ban this crap? guestimating in NPD sales threads? might as well unban chartz.

Unlike certain places, donny actually explains what methods he uses for his very clearly marked estimations. kthxbye.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
giuliu said:
I'd say the world wide "estimates" base on us+japan data are bullshit too.

No because he admits they are estimates, but explains how he calculates them and uses solid numbers whenever possible.

yoopoo

Banned
RoboPlato said:
Is it strange that the only thing I find surprising about these results is that people actually bought LotR: Conquest?
It was bought by the casual gamer who saw a box with LotR, or the LotR epic nerds.

thefro

Has Mario Kart Wii outsold GTA IV (PS3+360) life to date yet? It's really close in the US now and probably ahead worldwide, but I haven't seen European numbers.

Crazy seeing New Super Mario Brothers pop back up at #10... I think it's probably passed Mario 3 at this point, which is insane.

NolbertoS

Dragona Akehi said:
Unlike certain places, donny actually explains what methods he uses for his very clearly marked estimations. kthxbye.

I'd like to know the formula that Donny uses..just outta curiousity :D....I love forecasting, even with thousands of variables in the equation.

Flakster99

Mighty sales for all things Nintendo and excellent sales for Microsoft. Quite impressed with the Mario Kart Wii and Left for Dead sales - 2 very fun, awesome games, both of which deserve the sales they're garnering.

Nintendo said:
Similar momentum was witnessed in software sales, with 20 of the top 30 games of January made for Nintendo systems

Not to shabby. Nintendo dominated the top 30 last December '08 as well, if memory serves. Anticipating the top 20, additional software lists. ;)

giuliu

Banned
HK-47 said:
No because he admits they are estimates, but explains how he calculates them and uses solid numbers whenever possible.

Care for a link to explain how he calculate the world wide numbers?
is it a function of us and japan numbers?

m3k

thefro said:
Has Mario Kart Wii outsold GTA IV (PS3+360) life to date yet? It's really close in the US now and probably ahead worldwide, but I haven't seen European numbers.

Crazy seeing New Super Mario Brothers pop back up at #10... I think it's probably passed Mario 3 at this point, which is insane.

it doesnt even have a movie... ahhhh memories

In honor of our dearly beloved Private Hoffman, today is "Guess that Hoffman reaction!"

hansthemans.jpg

boiled goose

good with gravy
Flakster99 said:
Not to shabby. Nintendo dominated the top 30 last December '08 as well, if memory serves. Anticipating the top 20, additional software lists. ;)

nothing outside top 10 yet?
20 nintendo platform games in top 30...
rock band 2 should be up there just below top 10
Call of duty wii ?
s white?
(all 3 top 20 in december)

amtentori said:
nothing outside top 10 yet?
20 nintendo platform games in top 30...
rock band 2 should be up there just below top 10
Call of duty wii ?
s white?
(all 3 top 20 in december)
Nerf N-strike too..?
can't wait to see the top 20, when will they be posted??

Tmac

1) Good to sell the 360 holding well.

2) The ps3, of course, is not doing so well, but yet, i think most people underates it.

3) Wii.. does we have to say anything? Btw wii seems to be fully avaible from amazon for a weed now. Or it means sales have sharply droped, or february sales....

donny2112

HK-47 said:
What makes you think this?

* WII Call of Duty: World at War last year
* The Conduit's expected sales and resultant enthusiasm for FPSs on Wii this year
* Expectations of Activision-Blizzard actually making COD: MW2 for Wii this year
* Continued growth of Wii's userbase

Dragona Akehi said:

Thanks. :)

As examples,

Wii @ 14.2 million in Europe at end of 2008.
1st 3 weeks of 2009 (by NPD reckoning) for Europe

360 @ 8 million for EMEA

Nintendo showed the trends for the first 16 months for the Wii, PS3, and 360 in Europe.

Microsoft discussed PS3 yoy growth in Nov-08 in Europe.

An important note for how I divide up the regions, though, is that I use four territories. U.S. (NPD), Japan (Media-Create), Canada (NPD, when we can get it; ~10% of U.S. as a placeholder until NPD can be backfilled), and everything else. "Everything else" includes Europe, but I bump it up a bit to cover places like Australia and Mexico. I also go back and correct past estimates as new real data comes out. "Everything else" is still an educated guess, but I try to throw as much real data into the concept as possible.

Malachi Constant said:
One more time. It's been a few pages, let's give Oatmeal some love.

The accomplishment was the awesome production values by the way.

More interesting than charts anyway.
He's the only ban of the thread so far, huh?

Sleeker

Did someone actually take the time to film all those kids in uniform with the crab helmets and dualshocks and everything?

I really cannot wait for KZ2 to come out and disappears in two months time, every damn thread now has brute force trolling by sony defenders.

My year and a half or so with GAF, I have never, ever seen a slower moving NPD thread.

Man I miss 07 when these things were freaking epic. I expect this year to be the most boring ever as I don't see anyone moving from their respective places. That GroundhogDay gif on the first page got it perfect.

Same shit, different NPD day.

Deku

Banned
Malachi Constant said:
One more time. It's been a few pages, let's give Oatmeal some love.

The accomplishment was the awesome production values by the way.

More interesting than charts anyway.

Just got home, what is that from?

EvilDick34 said:
I really cannot wait for KZ2 to come out and disappears in two months time, every damn thread now has brute force trolling by sony defenders.

So you actually hoping that KZ2 to not be a fantastic seller.

You want a game to do badly ?

ugh...

Eteric Rice

Just wanted to note. Someone on another forum mentioned something interesting, which makes Nintendo even more of an evil genius than I thought they were.

Wii Fit was released before the year ended, and pretty much coinsided with everyone's new years resolution to lose weight.

Those sneaky bastards. :lol

Eteric Rice said:
Just wanted to note. Someone on another forum mentioned something interesting, which makes Nintendo even more of an evil genius than I thought they were.

Wii Fit was released before the year ended, and pretty much coinsided with everyone's new years resolution to lose weight.

Those sneaky bastards. :lol

Wii: Quit Smoking confirmed for holiday 09

EvilDick34 said:
I'm glad we've all come to the conclusion that talented devs should suffer at the expense of retarded, overzealous people who spend time on video game forums.

on topic:

wtf @ Wii

heyo @ left 4 dead (that was damn good marketing, Valve)

eh @ PS3/PSP

RIP @ PS2.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
If Left 4 Dead (PC+360 combined) ever outsells Gears of War 2 I have to go dig up an old thread and make some people eat more crow. Does anyone have the totals?

giuliu

Banned
donny2112 said:
* WII Call of Duty: World at War last year
* The Conduit's expected sales and resultant enthusiasm for FPSs on Wii this year
* Expectations of Activision-Blizzard actually making COD: MW2 for Wii this year
* Continued growth of Wii's userbase

Thanks. :)

As examples,

Wii @ 14.2 million in Europe at end of 2008.
1st 3 weeks of 2009 (by NPD reckoning) for Europe

360 @ 8 million for EMEA

Nintendo showed the trends for the first 16 months for the Wii, PS3, and 360 in Europe.

Microsoft discussed PS3 yoy growth in Nov-08 in Europe.

An important note for how I divide up the regions, though, is that I use four territories. U.S. (NPD), Japan (Media-Create), Canada (NPD, when we can get it; ~10% of U.S. as a placeholder until NPD can be backfilled), and everything else. "Everything else" includes Europe, but I bump it up a bit to cover places like Australia and Mexico. I also go back and correct past estimates as new real data comes out. "Everything else" is still an educated guess, but I try to throw as much real data into the concept as possible.

Didn't MS said they sold 28 million 360?

I still prefer using known data instead of known data + guess to come up with ww estimate

Pachael

Flying_Phoenix said:
The lack of gifs in this thread is ridiculous. And no SDF gifs don't count since they are copy and pasted from a youtube video.

Someone animate Hoffman's faces on NPD reaction

Top Bottom