• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2009

Sean

Banned
Didn't even realize today was NPD day, I must have missed the prediction thread too. Only 740 posts after 5 hours, this has to be the slowest moving NPD thread in quite some time.

Left 4 Dead sales were great, seems to have legs. I hope Capcom sees that and makes sure co-op is a part of Dead Rising 2: everyone likes to kill zombies, and killing zombies with your friends is even better.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Arpharmd B said:
Wii: Quit Smoking confirmed for holiday 09
Ubi beat then. On DS though.

vraoo2.jpg

Flying_Phoenix said:
The lack of gifs in this thread is ridiculous. And no SDF gifs don't count since they are copy and pasted from a youtube video.

I know I've already responded, and its a re-run, but what the hell.

neogiffinal.gif

The cornered-on-his-own-ship, full of rage and pain, and defiantly fighting a losing day is, well, somewhat apt.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Mama Robotnik said:
The cornered-on-his-own-ship, full of rage and pain, and defiantly fighting a losing day is, well, somewhat apt.
It's still one of my favorites.

Bizzyb

Banned
Similar momentum was witnessed in software sales, with 20 of the top 30 games of January made for Nintendo systems. Of those, five games made for Nintendo systems finished in the top 10 best-sellers of January.

Whoa! That's pretty freaking insane.

Gaborn

Sean said:
Didn't even realize today was NPD day, I must have missed the prediction thread too. Only 740 posts after 5 hours, this has to be the slowest moving NPD thread in quite some time.

Yep... I mean... how much can you honestly say about these numbers? Realistically you can only put so much spin on something.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Flying_Phoenix said:
The lack of gifs in this thread is ridiculous. And no SDF gifs don't count since they are copy and pasted from a youtube video.

Here's mine form last month. And yes, I'm too lazy to update the numbers (That and I did a wipe/reinstall of my PC and didn't get a new .gif made in time :D )

NPD-E.gif

There is a lot of interesting stuff here, but it's mostly a continuation of things past. The Wii sold phenomenally so it seems supply is catching up a little, and Wii Fit's continued success can really only be marveled at. Left 4 Dead selling well is fantastic news though as well.

Next month, with a bunch of medium-to-high-profile releases is when the noise will be made, though.

Darkman M

Mama Robotnik said:

neogiffinal.gif

:lol this one is great

Interfectum

Nintendo continues to dominate as usual, but i think the surprise for January NPDs is the continued success of L4D. Simply amazing. Their worldwide total for PC/360 has gotta be insane.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
People full quoting Mama Robotnik gifs should be shot on sight. Not hard to remove image tags.

giuliu

Banned
Psychotext said:
Sold to retailers. The charts (estimated or not) deal with sold to customers.

same thing can be said about some of the sources he uses.
That's why the only data should be use are reported by npd, media crate, etc.

any quoted number on some websites can be estimated.
I can estimate that the ps3 is already ahead of the 360 worldwide at this point.
I can't prove it right, but no one can prove it wrong either as no one knows the sales of the ps3 in "insert country" in asia/europe.

You can tell me that ms shipped 28 mil and sony shipped 20 mil. I can say that maybe ms only sold 19 mil while sony sold all of the 20 mil shipped. no one knows for sure.

Chumly

giuliu said:

I can estimate that the ps3 is already ahead of the 360 worldwide at this point.
I can't prove it right, but no one can prove it wrong either as no one knows the sales of the ps3 in "insert country" in asia/europe.

You can tell me that ms shipped 28 mil and sony shipped 20 mil. I can say that maybe ms only sold 19 mil while sony sold all of the 20 mil shipped. no one knows for sure.
Dude did donny kill your mother? Because WTF are u talking about.

Mama Robotnik said:

neogiffinal.gif

That is a really damn awesome gif.

::please don't shoot me in the face::

giuliu said:

You should really watch that, son. You're starting to sound like a broken record.

Finally, the meltdown we've been waiting for?

Kandinsky

Bizzyb said:
Similar momentum was witnessed in software sales, with 20 of the top 30 games of January made for Nintendo systems. Of those, five games made for Nintendo systems finished in the top 10 best-sellers of January.

Whoa! That's pretty freaking insane.
Man i really miss the good old days when we'd get the full list even if a game only sold 1k :/

sprocket said:
its funny 360 fanboys want to go at the ps3 fanboys but cant really go too hard because the Wii is whooping their ass. :lol

What's funny is that you actually have tears in your eyes while you're typing this.

Jag22

Banned
I find it funny how serious people take these NPDs.

I swear some of you wait the whole month just for these numbers.

giuliu

Banned
Chumly said:
Dude did donny kill your mother? Because WTF are u talking about.

Oh this again
look, I'm cool with the charts, but estimated data really shouldn't be here.
remember there was a thread about some website reported some data.
just because they "estimated" the data, the thread was closed.

why shouldn't this receive the same treatment?

GDGF

Soothsayer
Nintendo said:
Similar momentum was witnessed in software sales, with 20 of the top 30 games of January made for Nintendo systems. Of those, five games made for Nintendo systems finished in the top 10 best-sellers of January. These games include Wii Fit™ at No. 1 with more than 777,000 sold, Wii Play™ at No. 2 with nearly 415,000 sold, Mario Kart™ Wii at No. 3 with more than 292,000 sold, New Super Mario Bros. for Nintendo DS at No. 7 with nearly 135,000 sold, and Mario Kart™ DS at No. 8 with more than 132,000 sold.

That's it, then. Third parties would be stupid to ignore this.

giuliu said:
Oh this again
look, I'm cool with the charts, but estimated data really shouldn't be here.
remember there was a thread about some website reported some data.
just because they "estimated" the data, the thread was closed.

why shouldn't this receive the same treatment?
Did you realize that NPD data is estimated? Really, it is. Also, you might not know this, but when juniors are banned, it tends to be permanent. If I were you I'd be logging out of GAF and finding something less stressful to do for a while, until I calmed down.

Musashi Wins! said:
There's no way in hell Halo Wars outsells Killzone 2 right? Even with the license, it's a fairly generic (imo based on demo) RTS vs. a graphics first FPS.

I think KZ2 will crush Halo Wars.

What's the best an RTS game has ever sold on a console? Even a mediocre FPS probably could put up better numbers, and KZ2 hardly looks mediocre.

WretchedTruman said:
I'm glad we've all come to the conclusion that talented devs should suffer at the expense of retarded, overzealous people who spend time on video game forums.

on topic:

wtf @ Wii

heyo @ left 4 dead (that was damn good marketing, Valve)

eh @ PS3/PSP

RIP @ PS2.

what does spamming sony gifs and kz2 gifs have to do with be being over zealous? I could care less about ps3 or the xbox360, i am almost 100 percent just a pc gamer. What im concerned about and why oatmeal got banned is because he was shitting up the thread, that is not called for.

Epiphyte

bmf said:
Did you realize that NPD data is estimated? Really, it is. Also, you might not know this, but when juniors are banned, it tends to be permanent. If I were you I'd be logging out of GAF and finding something less stressful to do for a while, until I calmed down.
Let's not group a sophisticated statistical analysis with GAF's educated guessing.

That's how ioi got confused

larvi

TwinIonEngines said:
You're not hardcore unless you have a Sunbeam.

Nope, it's all about the Viking Mixers. $600 for a stainless stand up beauty but worth every penny. They manage to harness 1000watts of mixing power, way more than any old KA or Sunny. Just imagine the smooth textures you will have for your frosting. Can't afford it? Then's it's time to get another job.

Trailblazer said:
So you actually hoping that KZ2 to not be a fantastic seller.

You want a game to do badly ?

ugh...

Dude, I wish KZ2 well; but I'm being completely realistic here - the PS3 price point is a serious detriment to any potential influence KZ2 has.

It's the harsh reality, especially in these tough economic times; Sony cannot hawk a $400 console.

This is the generation of Sony screwing itself. It will pass, but let's hope they learn a lesson and don't do the same dumb shit with PS4.

PS4 $299.99 @ Launch or GTFO!

JavyOO7

I don't mind the gifs (the ones Mama Robotnik makes are great) in this thread but there's no need for people to quote the actual gif. It bogs down the thread even more...

DuckRacer

TheGreatDave said:
I'm curious.
I (and another guy before me) asked donny a question and he already replied back to the previous poster before my post.

And yeah, this npd is slooow. I bet there's going to be more replies on the weekly RB dlc announcement tomorrow. smh

Bizzyb

Banned
GDGF said:
That's it, then. Third parties would be stupid to ignore this.

It's a shame it has taken the closures of many studios before they realize they ****ed up backing the HD consoles, but the proof is in the pudding. Software sells on Wii.

20/30 titles on Wii is something that you only ignore if you WANT to go bankrupt and close up shop. Hopefully this will lead to more quality Wii support.

Cipherr

HK-47 said:
Its called being stuck on a school connection with tons of other people, you nitwit

Hey man no offense, but thats kind of your problem. Those gifs really aren't a big deal. They load one time. As long as its not completely over the top excessive (this particular npd thread is light on GIF's) then I wouldn't expect anything to be done about it.

Top Bottom