• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2010

schuelma said:
Out of curiousity, I wonder how Silent Hill PSP/PS2 did.....I am sure they did better than on the Wii right?

Hasn't the franchise as a whole been on a downward slope? I wouldn't expect much of anything at all out of remakes.

Chozo

templeusox said:
Yea, because America hates police procedurals. God knows national TV isn't inundated with them. And 99% of people don't know or care where there games from.

You do know that the demographics between network TV at large and the PS3 are probably going to be pretty different, right? Beyond that, what makes Heavy Rain different from all the niche as Hell adventure games/murder mysteries that have been released on the PC for a long time?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Mrbob said:
Oh and Steam achievement tracker has MW2 over a million different achievement account tracked. Only about half of steams 25 million userbase registered with the steam community too which websites can use to track things.
I wouldn't be surprised if MW2 has pushed ~2 million worldwide on the PC, but remember is a global statistic. So far we know that, for US retail, MW2 has done 290,000 in three months whereas CoD4 did 383,000 in two months.

PC games are near impossible to pin accurate sales for, due to DD. At the very least we can say the market is healthy and nowhere near its deathbed as some would believe.

And Mass Effect 2, BioWare's sequel to the 2007 action role-playing game, sold 572,100 copies for the Xbox 360 with just six days in stores. That makes Mass Effect 2 the best-selling game to ever be released in January, says Jesse Divnich, analyst with EEDAR (Electronic Entertainment Design and Research). "By a huge margin," he says. "Typically, January is reserved for holiday season overflow and people who didn't buy games like Call of Duty over the holidays. Publishers are always afraid to introduce triple AAA titles in that month."

That pretty much puts the ridiculous arguments to bed. I mean really.

Would it have been better to put it in the holiday window instead of DA maybe, but it's still impressive.

Agreed.

FrankT

Mrbob said:
Haters gonna hate.

Oh and Steam achievement tracker has MW2 over a million different achievement account tracked. Only about half of steams 25 million userbase registered with the steam community too which websites can use to track things. MW2 is a steamworks title so all copies (even retail) register with steam.

Fun fact I like that. Well see if she has legs and I think she just might. Would it have been better to put it in the holiday window instead of DA maybe, but it's still impressive.

Haunted

I don't see why Heavy Rain has to appeal to the mainstream to chart. Darksiders charted as well and you know those sales are all core gamers.

I personally think it could scratch the Top 10, depending on how much of a blitz Sony rolls out in the coming weeks.
It better, considering its budget.

Chozo said:
You do know that the demographics between network TV at large and the PS3 are probably going to be pretty different, right? Beyond that, what makes Heavy Rain different from all the niche as Hell adventure games/murder mysteries that have been released on the PC for a long time?
Being a high-profile PS3 exclusive should help.

templeusox said:
Yea, because America hates police procedurals. God knows national TV isn't inundated with them. And 99% of people don't know or care where there games from.
that's your rationale behind the game selling? :lol
good obs, you should be an games analyst

jvm

Gamasutra.
Fredescu said:
Wait: "Modern Warfare 2 sales in the U.S. to 9.44 million (including 290,000 PC games sold.)"

Really? Isn't ~10 million a worldwide figure?
If we take 290K LTD PC in U.S., then I have a total of 9.70mm units of MW2 in the U.S.

dankir

woxel1 said:
Nintendo

Microsoft

Sony

EDIT ADJUSTING FOR LACK OF REAL NPD DRAMA

Damn where did you get such high quality Avatar gifs??

x Power Pad Death Stomp x said:
By this logic Avatar: The Game should be the # 1 selling game of the last 3 months.

Niche' gameplay style + no MAINSTREAM advertising and hype = low sales.

It'll prob be a sweet game. I'm pulling for it, I love adventure games. It's not going top 10 next month.
That's not on all fours. Avatar is a shitty game. I would never expect high sales out of the videogame version of CSI, even though police procedurals are popular. I would expect a good version of something in the genre that Avatar the game is in to sell.

DevelopmentArrested said:
yikes SEGA publishes a good game for once and they STILL get shit on
Not debating the quality of that tranny surprise called "Bayonetta" Just love seeing poor sales to a game that SEGA was so supportive of and seeing it comeback in fuck them right in the ass with no lube, just straight spit.

Mafro

Surgeon Rocket said:
Some action game with 30fps on the ps3.

Never heard of it myself though.

It just clicked, I was reading it as BPS 3 and was struggling to think of a threequel that came out last month:lol

God of War on PSP was able to do 340,500 it's first month on PSP. I would imagine that GoW3 will do just fine if a PSP game can do such numbers with how badly they normally sell in the US market.

Road

gregor7777 said:
That pretty much puts the ridiculous arguments to bed. I mean really.

Agreed.
It does? If Halo Reach came out in Jan 2011 and sold 1 million copies would people not be allowed to call it a disappointment because it would be the best release ever in January?

Mrbob

Archie said:
I wouldn't be surprised if MW2 has pushed ~2 million worldwide on the PC, but remember is a worldwide statistic. So far we know that, for US retail, MW2 has done 290,000 in three months whereas CoD4 did 383,000 in two months.

PC games are near impossible to pin accurate sales for, due to DD. At the very least we can say the market is healthy and nowhere near its deathbed as some would believe.

True, since we know what MW2 at retail number, but we don't know what it sold on steam. It has been at the top of the steam top 10 list since launch. Valve mentioned in the past their games were almost 50/50 between Steam and retail. I don't think it is the case here but we'll never know for certain.

JDSN

Banned
dankir said:
Damn where did you get such high quality Avatar gifs??
We dont ask those kind of things around here, except when it comes to video games, then you are the scum of earth.

ShinobiFist said:
Not debating the quality of that tranny surprise called "Bayonetta" Just love seeing poor sales to a game that SEGA was so supportive of and seeing it comeback in fuck them right in the ass with no lube, just straight spit.

Yikes.

Fredescu

jvm said:
If we take 290K LTD PC in U.S., then I have a total of 9.70mm units of MW2 in the U.S.
Thanks, holy crap I had no idea. It must have a decent shot at cracking the 20 million worldwide mark right?

squicken

Mrbob said:
Haters gonna hate.

Oh and Steam achievement tracker has MW2 over a million different achievement account tracked. Only about half of steams 25 million userbase registered with the steam community too which websites can use to track things. MW2 is a steamworks title so all copies (even retail) register with steam.

No hate here. I love the game. But saying that it did great for January doesn't mean it did great overall. Looking at those Wii sales we can see what an awful month it is to try and sell games.

That NFC Conference Championship ad was seen by 60 million people. For such a heavily marketed game, 575k is a little disappointing.

DevelopmentArrested said:
that's your rationale behind the game selling? :lol
good obs, you should be an games analyst
No, that's not my rationale. My rationale is that there is a lot of casual buzz for the game, it received good reviews in mainstream videogame publications, it will be heavily advertised starting this weekend AND I went into my local Gamestop today and the clerk told me pre-orders have soared the last two weeks.

The point you quoted was only to refute an argument that people aren't interested in crime dramas.

Chozo

Haunted said:
I don't see why Heavy Rain has to appeal to the mainstream to chart. Darksiders charted as well and you know those sales are all core gamers.

Darksiders is a pretty easy sell to the core though: "it's Zelda plus God of War." Adventure games, as far as I can tell, are niche even in core terms.

Being a high-profile PS3 exclusive should help.

Maybe, but after all the hype and advertising for MAG that game didn't chart top 10 either, and if I had to have chosen which one of those would be more likelly to break into NPD I wouldn't have thought too hard about picking MAG.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Spiegel said:
That was the first day.

First week:

Bayonetta PS3 - 138k
Bayonetta 360 - 66k
Thanks for correcting me.

So Bayonetta 360 - <138k
Bayonetta PS3 - <66k

Still :/

Mrbob

Jtyettis said:
Fun fact I like that. Well see if she has legs and I think she just might. Would it have been better to put it in the holiday window instead of DA maybe, but it's still impressive.

I think EA made the right move on this one. Dragon Age needed the holiday window to move decent numbers. Mass Effect 2 did not. ME2 would have done better being released in Nov, but I think Dragon Age would have done a lot worse coming out in Jan 2010. I don't think the increase in ME2 sales would have offset the loss they would have had in DA sales.

So what do we think is in the backfield of the top 20?

- Obviously Bayonetta (and I suspect its higher sku is close in numbers to Darksiders 360)
- Army of Two PS3?
- Zelda DS?
- Dark Void? (Or did it crash and burn worse than Bionic Commando?)
- Wii Play?
- Left 4 Dead 2?
- Mario and Sonic Winter Games?
- Assassin's Creed II?

Edit: Time to rethink my Bayonetta stipulation in wake of < Japan numbers stuff...

Haunted

Chozo said:
Darksiders is a pretty easy sell to the core though: "it's Zelda plus God of War." Adventure games, as far as I can tell, are niche even in core terms.

Maybe, but after all the hype and advertising for MAG that game didn't chart top 10 either, and if I had to have chosen which one of those would be more likelly to break into NPD I wouldn't have thought too hard about picking MAG.
True.

Of course, that also depends on the kind of competition that's out next month. Which looks to be pretty stiff. Well, here's hoping it'll sell well regardless of whether it'll chart or not.

creamsugar said:
BPS3 < JPB3601stWEEK < B360 < JPBPS31stWEEK

BPS3 < 64,000 < B360 < 135,000

Bayonetta – PS3 – 135,000
Bayonetta – 360 – 64 000

What you're saying is:

360 Bayonetta < 135,000
PS3 Bayonetta < 64,000

Chozo said:

What hype? The game was even pegged in an article as being on of the lowest tracking shooters coming out in 2010. The game had nothing but negative buzz outside of forum folks. Most people probably never heard of MAG till they saw the commercial the week of it's release. MAG was never set to do well.

Zen

Banned
MattyGrovesOrMe said:
So what do we think is in the backfield of the top 20?

- Dark Void? (Or did it crash and burn worse than Bionic Commando?)

I wouldn't be surprised if the studio behind it goes belly up in the future. :\

jvm

Gamasutra.
Fredescu said:
Thanks, holy crap I had no idea. It must have a decent shot at cracking the 20 million worldwide mark right?
Just shooting from the hip here ... we know 9.7mm in the U.S. and 2.8mm in the UK. If we estimate that UK is a bit more than 1/3 of the EU market, then we'd have around 8.0mm in the EU total. That'd give us around 18mm worldwide, taking Japan into account (250K). Adding in Steam/etc PC sales and sales going forward, I'd guess it can reach 20mm.

Really, though. Shot in the dark.

Top Bottom