• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2010

desh

Archie said:
Bayonetta.
Are you being serious? I've heard some good buzz about Bayonetta, but I've heard almost universal good praise about Arkham Asylum. Is Arkham Asylum too much of a beat em up to be in the same genre as NG, DMC, GOW, POP, etc.?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
desh said:
Are you being serious? I've heard some good buzz about Bayonetta, but I've heard almost universal good praise about Arkham Asylum. Is Arkham Asylum too much of a beat em up to be in the same genre as NG, DMC, GOW, POP, etc.?
Yep. Don't give me wrong, I loved Batman AA and adored the combat, but it is more of an action adventure game in the vein of Metroid or Zelda. Bayonetta is all action, all the time and is the absolute best at what it does.

Y2Kev said:
If Sega wants to sell bayonetta then they should have GIVEN HER GREEN EYES

Nah, they should have made her into a hedgehog. She'd be called Ms. Shadow cause she's Shadow the Hedgehog's estranged wife.

Now, that would have been a guaranteed million seller.

jett

D-Member
goldenpp72 said:
Bayonetta will probably sell over 1 million on ps3/360 combined, does anyone know how it did in europe?

Disappeared from the UK top 30 after the first week.

WillyFive

1268698-untitled_1_copy.jpg

Back to status quo.

Road

jett said:
Disappeared from the UK top 30 after the first week.
Not that fast.

Multi-platform chart:
5 - 7 - 14 - 25 - 36

Individual chart:
(360) 6 - 10 - 22
(PS3) 14 - 19 - 32

Nothing impressive nonetheless.

schuelma said:
Yes, because a non advertised Suda 51 game should have set things on fire. A regular Mass Effect it is.

Like I said, it probably should have done more in line with the original (60K IIRC), but the notion that this game was going to explode in sales when Ubisoft acted like it did not exist is absurd, and yet completely unsurprising given your post history in this thread.
Ah, I forgot about that advertising excuse. Yeah, that's it. If they had only advertised it more.

markatisu

I saw 2 Just Dance commercials at every commercial break tonight from 7p-9p

OMG third parties advertising could have something to do with sales...its an amazing thought

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hero of Legend said:
Bingo, as it's apparently a violation of the subscription, which if I recall is like $1,000 a month?

Ah wow. o.o

Still, it's nice to see TvC doing >30k.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
2 things killed bayonetta's opening act:

1- overall lack of marketting
2- All the bad press the PS3 version got. Not any press is good press, a significant amount of the talk about the game b4 release in the press/forums was "OMG Bayonetta PS3 is SOOOOOO Terrible!!!".

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
You think Bayonetta would've sold better if it was published by Capcom?
After the massive success that was P.N. 03?

Of course!

To be fair though, that game needed some more love.

nexen

~Devil Trigger~ said:

2- All the bad press the PS3 version got. Not any press is good press, a significant amount of the talk about the game b4 release in the press/forums was "OMG Bayonetta PS3 is SOOOOOO Terrible!!!".

3. Demo alienated a large portion of potential audience.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
~Devil Trigger~ said:

Lack of marketing? Sega's been pushing Bayonetta since last year. They even delayed it to give it a better chance!

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Y2Kev said:
If Sega wants to sell bayonetta then they should have GIVEN HER GREEN EYES

Nah. Just put her in a Mark VI armor, an assault rifle, put the game in a first person perspective, and you got a sure winner.

Dalthien

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
You think Bayonetta would've sold better if it was published by Capcom?
You might want to check on Dark Void's performance this month. Capcom can throw bombas out there with the best of them.

Don't worry, guys. Bayonetta will just end up being ported to the HD consoles where hardcore games will sell. They can probably drop it onto PSN/XBL with some HD touch-ups and details and I guarantee it'll sell more than the Wii version. Sega's probably regretting not putting this game on the HD consoles right about now.

Slavik81 said:
I don't think price is the primary reason why most people haven't bought Bayonetta.
Nor advertising, IMHO. I just don't think a wild anime fighting chick is good fodder outside of Japan. It definitely has a strong passionate audience and the game got great reviews. It just doesn't seem to appeal the CoD:MW2 & Mass Effect crowd.

Patriotsbball5460 said:
So if were all disappointed with Bayonetta's numbers, lets just wait for Yakuza 3's launch month..

Does anyone expect that not to bomb, though? I mean, Yakuza 2 sold around 25,000 copies. If Yakuza 3 can do 50,000, that would be a huge success.

Jtyettis said:
I've got 6.156 million for MW2 360 versus 4.866 million for NSMBW. Looks like Geoff K wins after all.
I would say that reggie did lose the battle. 1 year when NSMB is still charting and MW2 is gone though, who really lost?

Mrbob said:
Recently Batman did. Mass Effect 1 did. Fallout 3 had a decent second month too. Those are three. I think if ME2 can do 50 to 60 percent sales in 'month two' that would be fine. I'm expecting 300 to 350k for feb 2010 npd. It ME2 Feb 10 sales are less than that then I would agree sales are disappointing, considering the first one did around 480K in its first month and around 400K in its second month.

Certain games have longer tails than others, and historically Bioware games (and Bethesda products) have had a pretty long sales tail.
well, if you're gonna set the bar at 50% for 2nd month for decent, i won't disagree. and yeah, bioware games do seem to have more legs than average.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
It's not the marketing. It's the freakin audience. American manboys, I being one, want to aim guns at each other and talk trash over the internet. MW2 is a mediocre game at best, but enjoys massive sales.

EDIT: What worries me is if the trend continues a lot of Japanese dev/pubs are going to say "the hell" with western audiences and we won't anything from the east. The funny thing about that is is that Mario is about as American as you can get.

Cow Mengde said:
Don't worry, guys. Bayonetta will just end up being ported to the HD consoles where hardcore games will sell. They can probably drop it onto PSN/XBL with some HD touch-ups and details and I guarantee it'll sell more than the Wii version. Sega's probably regretting not putting this game on the HD consoles right about now.

Yep.
Hopefully Sega and the HD consoles will give it the love the game deserves.

Cow Mengde said:

Madworld did sub 40k opening month IIRC.

Yes, I remember that NPD and those comments.

We don't know the numbers but I'll bet my left nut it's above 100k on 360 and combined with PS3, I'll wager around 200k. Combined with Japan that's nearly 500k. Add in Europe and this could end up being a million seller. It's already a million shipper.

Bayonetta is not the bomb of the month. It's the luke-warm, somewhat depressingly mild opening of the month. Dark Void is the bomb of the month. Wait until you see the numbers.

Arpharmd B said:

We don't know the numbers but I'll bet my left nut it's above 100k on 360 and combined with PS3, I'll wager around 200k. Combined with Japan that's nearly 500k. Add in Europe and this could end up being a million seller. It's already a million shipper.

Bayonetta is not the bomb of the month. It's the luke-warm, somewhat depressingly mild opening of the month. Dark Void is the bomb of the month. Wait until you see the numbers.

Actually, it did 66K opening month, with less advertising and across a single console.

But hey, let's not mince facts. Hardcore games just don't sell anywhere it seems, unless they have giant advertising budgets and marines.

Arpharmd B said:

Probably less than 200K combined. Agreed about Dark Void tho.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Vilix said:
It's not the marketing. It's the freakin audience. American manboys, I being one, want to aim guns at each other and talk trash over the internet. MW2 is a mediocre game at best, but enjoys massive sales.

EDIT: What worries me is if the trend continues a lot of Japanese dev/pubs are going to say "the hell" with western audiences and we won't anything from the east. The funny thing about that is is that Mario is about as American as you can get.

Wrong.

Mario's as Italian as you can get. Nyuck nyuck nyuck.

AstroMan

Banned
I like how nobody thinks people may not like Bayonetta because of the character or overall designs in the game. It couldn't be that, no way. It's just people don't like great games and all that. The HD platforms are just shooter boxes! There was no Advertising! Bad PS3 port!

Bayonetta has a fantastic combat system but the designs are unbearable (for me and I'm sure for other people). Especially Bayonetta herself. DMC was over the top but Bayonetta can be really cringe-worthy.

Dark Void numbers are going to be scary.

It's one of the "perpetual skus" we have to count every morning.

There were 11 copies for 360 the day it came out. There have been 11 copies since. No restocks, just the same 11 copies sitting in a drawer.

AstroMan said:
I like how nobody thinks people may not like Bayonetta because of the character or overall designs in the game.
Yep. No one said that. No one at all.

Incidentally, how's that blindness going? Good? Hello?

x Power Pad Death Stomp x said:
Dark Void numbers are going to be scary.

It's one of the "perpetual skus" we have to count every morning.

There were 11 copies for 360 the day it came out. There have been 11 copies since. No restocks, just the same 11 copies sitting in a drawer.

Not sure how that's scary.
The game just isn't appealing (or all that good).

AstroMan

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
Yep. No one said that. No one at all.

Incidentally, how's that blindness going? Good? Hello?

Perhaps nobody was an exaggeration but it seems most people refuse to consider it. I don't mean just here, either.

Top Bottom