• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2010

Chozo

BattleMonkey said:
What hype? The game was even pegged in an article as being on of the lowest tracking shooters coming out in 2010. The game had nothing but negative buzz outside of forum folks. Most people probably never heard of MAG till they saw the commercial the week of it's release. MAG was never set to do well.

Fair enough. I haven't been paying much attention to either game to really speak much on hype, I guess.

Still though, if you had to say whether a pseudo-MMOFPS or an adventure game would do better on the PS3, what would you choose, honestly?

FrankT

Mrbob said:
I think EA made the right move on this one. Dragon Age needed the holiday window to move decent numbers. Mass Effect 2 did not. ME2 would have done better being released in Nov, but I think Dragon Age would have done a lot worse coming out in Jan 2010. I don't think the increase in ME2 sales would have offset the loss they would have had in DA sales.

My thoughts exactly and likely what EA was thinking as well.

Also, no NPDFrazier comments? I would like to see how the industry did YoY.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Just so everybody's clear on these numbers, Wii and PS3 have been supply constrained since Christmas. That's also going to bleed over into the February numbers.

Curufinwe

wizword said:
I didn't know ninja gaiden black was released this month. 2nd best action game of all time would be nice (but dmc3, and god of war 2 were probably better games too).

Things have moved on since 2005.

ZealousD

Sad to see Bayonetta didn't chart in the top 10. Vanquish is probably going to do a lot better, though.

Kuramu

Are we there yet?
duhlines.gif

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
ZealousD said:
Sad to see Bayonetta didn't chart in the top 10. Vanquish is probably going to do a lot better, though.
At first, I was going to say that that is mostly bullshit since we only have a trailer.
Then, I realized that said trailer alludes to it likely being some kind of shooter.

Excluding the Wii, as far as retail goes, it seems that different isn't the way to go this gen.

jett

D-Member
creamsugar said:
BPS3 < JPB3601stWEEK < B360 < JPBPS31stWEEK

Why do you have to be so cryptic? :p

I usually don't get happy when a game does awful at sales, but this is what the PS3 port deserved.

ZealousD

ShinobiFist said:
What's the Next Game from SEGAxPlatinum?

That's Vanquish.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-debut-vanquish/61349

Surgeon Rocket said:
At first, I was going to say that is mostly bullshit since we only have a trailer.
Then, I realized that the game looks like some kind of shooter.

Looks like a shooter. Western aesthetic. The second point does it the most favors. A shooter with Bayonetta's style probably would have bombed, too. It'll probably do shit in Japan but the style alone might more than double their NA/EUR sales.

jett said:
Why do you have to be so cryptic? :p

I usually don't get happy when a game does awful at sales, but this is what the PS3 port deserved.

So as to not violate the terms for having NPD data... Either way, ouch for bayonetta.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Umm yeah..not very good for Bayonetta. I think everyone was worried the Platinum/SEGA deal wouldn't really pay dividends and I don't think that opinion has been disproved. It did ok in Japan, that's something I guess.

Bizzyb

Banned
Man, It's like Nintendo has a choke-hold on the industry. Well, More like Nintendo, EA and Activision. Kinda makes me depressed thinking about it....I know Other Publishers are probably tearing out their hair, and frothing at the mouth right about now.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
schuelma said:
Umm yeah..not very good for Bayonetta. I think everyone was worried the Platinum/SEGA deal wouldn't really pay dividends and I don't think that opinion has been disproved. It did ok in Japan, that's something I guess.
If Bayo bombed then why hasn't the price dropped?

SapientWolf said:
Why is Tekken 6 still $59.99? Bad sales don't automatically equal a swift price drop. They want a chance to recoup development costs. Sometimes selling fewer copies at a higher price can earn more than selling more units at bargain bin prices.

schuelma

SapientWolf said:

Did I say it bombed?

Oh and speaking of bombas...how did Capcom USA's latest offering do? Did DarkVoid go into the void of Bionic Commando land?

ZealousD

Man God said:
Wrong answer.

Next game is Infinite Space US and EUR release!

Not that it matters much sales wise! :lol

Ah yeah, that's right.

Infinite Space might sell 5 copies. :lol

ZealousD said:
That's Vanquish.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-debut-vanquish/61349

Looks like a shooter. Western aesthetic. The second point does it the most favors. A shooter with Bayonetta's style probably would have bombed, too. It'll probably do shit in Japan but the style alone might more than double their NA/EUR sales.
Oh fuck, yes! Bomb harder than Bayonetta. Please do, I'll help dig your grave SEGA. I'll will even buy the shovels too. Just make sure to put Capcom in your will, SEGA.

schuelma

goldenpp72 said:
Bayonetta will probably sell over 1 million on ps3/360 combined, does anyone know how it did in europe?

I really doubt that, unless it shows impressive legs.

goldenpp72 said:
Bayonetta will probably sell over 1 million on ps3/360 combined, does anyone know how it did in europe?

Europe would have to triple U.S. sales to reach a million cause Bayonetta will not have legs.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Fuzzy said:
There's nothing in the post you quoted that says TvC did well.

Dude I was expecting Extraction-like numbers for the game. It sold more than 30k and half the cast is completely unknown to the USA, I think that's damned impressive.

And let's not forget it came out on the 26th and only charted for 5 days. Also, as a fighter (and a game on Wii) it's going to have looooooooooooong legs, especially with the critical/fan reaction it's gotten.

desh

Curufinwe said:
Things have moved on since 2005.

Really? What has been the definitive action game of this generation? DMC4? NG2? Although, I haven't played it yet, but Batman: AA might be the best action-adventure game so far this gen.

Andrex said:
Dude I was expecting Extraction-like numbers for the game. It sold more than 30k and half the cast is completely unknown to the USA, I think that's damned impressive.

The game sold 41,000 in Japan.

Let's put this in perspective. A fighting game involving a bunch of anime characters either already has, or is on the verge of, selling more copies in the US than in Japan.

That's fucking incredible.

goldenpp72

mugurumakensei said:
Europe would have to triple U.S. sales to reach a million cause Bayonetta will not have legs.

Didn't bayonetta sell 300k in japan thus far? If it sold 200k in america already, and perhaps another 200k in europe (no idea there) that would put it at 700k.

Now, i've seen npd guesses with bayonetta over 200k ps3/360 within its first month, I have no idea what the real figures are yet, but I think people tend to think america = the world.

Hell maybe bayonetta sold 30k in canada, it all adds up, I doubt segas 1.1 million shipped figure will end up not selling.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
KuwabaraTheMan said:

Let's put this in perspective. A fighting game involving a bunch of anime characters either already has, or is on the verge of, selling more copies in the US than in Japan.

That's fucking incredible.

To be fair Japan got the original (Cross-Generation of Heroes) too, but I don't think that did great, either...

Road

KuwabaraTheMan said:

BlazBlue US > BlazBlue JP

=P

Canova

Banned
ShinobiFist said:
Oh fuck, yes! Bomb harder than Bayonetta. Please do, I'll help dig your grave SEGA. I'll will even buy the shovels too. Just make sure to put Capcom in your will, SEGA.

:lol

schuelma

goldenpp72 said:
Didn't bayonetta sell 300k in japan thus far? If it sold 200k in america already, and perhaps another 200k in europe (no idea there) that would put it at 700k.

Now, i've seen npd guesses with bayonetta over 200k ps3/360 within its first month, I have no idea what the real figures are yet, but I think people tend to think america = the world.

Hell maybe bayonetta sold 30k in canada, it all adds up, I doubt segas 1.1 million shipped figure will end up not selling.

It did about 275K in Japan and its probably done selling there.

schuelma

Ookami-kun said:
How are we even sure that TvC > NMH2 when no one knows the sales?

creamsugar knows the sales, and he is who posted.

Curufinwe

desh said:
Really? What has been the definitive action game of this generation? DMC4? NG2? Although, I haven't played it yet, but Batman: AA might be the best action-adventure game so far this gen.

I just played Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 followed by Batman:AA, loved both of them, but they're not same the same type of game at all. There are plenty of posts in the Bayonetta thread that explain in great detail why it's the next step forward in action games.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hero of Legend said:
How much did TvC do? Oh, and I bought TvC as well! I didn't get NMH2 because I don't have the original yet (and I'm trying to get it).

Better than 30k according to creamsugar.

And my reasons for not getting NMH2 are similar (I also only had enough money for one game.)

Top Bottom