• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2010

Mael

:lol :lol :lol
Basing expectations of Wii games on metacritic scores
:lol :lol :lol

EEDAR said:
Core Games on Wii Continue To Struggle
No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle has scored top reviews averaging a 90 (out of 100) since its release. However, sales came less than 30,000 units for its first week (January 26, 2010 release).

markatisu

seady said:
Was there a lot of ads for Just Dance that I am not aware of? Or is it a existing brand or television show? How come it is selling so well here and in Europe? How did the casuals know about this game?

If you are in America and you watch TV you will see the ads, like I said earlier tonight there were 2 ads during every commercial break (same ad with Katy Perry's Hot and Cold song and a bunch of actual people not the infamous Wii commercial people dancing)

Doorman

Vizion28 said:
If Ubisoft were smart they would put forth a huge marketing campaign for Red Steal 2 emphasizing it is the first 1 to 1 swordfighting motion controlled action game ever. This is something the world wanted when the Wii was first unveiled back in 2006. I can see the game selling at least 2 million WW easily if they did.

Given the fact that they already had a solid action title with an existing fanbase just sitting on their hands with NMH2 and seemed to actively do whatever they could to make sure it didn't sell, I don't exactly have high hopes for them putting their dollars down to promote Red Steel 2.

Unless of course the mishandling of No More Heroes is just Ubisoft's ploy to erode Japanese-developed core games for Wii, so that they can just go right on trucking with cheaply-produced casual slog. Hm....

EDarkness

Doorman said:
Given the fact that they already had a solid action title with an existing fanbase just sitting on their hands with NMH2 and seemed to actively do whatever they could to make sure it didn't sell, I don't exactly have high hopes for them putting their dollars down to promote Red Steel 2.

Unless of course the mishandling of No More Heroes is just Ubisoft's ploy to erode Japanese-developed core games for Wii, so that they can just go right on trucking with cheaply-produced casual slog. Hm....

Gives them room to say that Wii "core" games don't sell. It's like they want this to happen or something.

Andrex said:
:lol at "too Japanese." What does that make Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, then?
A fairly standard 2D fighter that has been a relatively popular genre since the old Mortal Kombat & Street Fighter arcade games.

Mael

Firestorm said:
Someone remind me what Capcom's initial estimates for Dark Void were?
shhhh, can't you see this is a wii 3rd party thread?
and about a mil last I heard?
I'm not sure but that's a ridiculously high number though

Mael said:
Now the graph doesn't say if they expect to sell as much at full price or discounted...

And nice to see they expect MH3 to do as well as MHFU

Those aren't expectations, that's data of what they shipped for the QTR (I think it's the QTR). Notice that MH3's only listed in Japan there where you see the 1150k, and then the other part shows they're bringing it overseas. They don't have expectations for MH3 yet.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
speculawyer said:
A fairly standard 2D fighter that has been a relatively popular genre since the old Mortal Kombat & Street Fighter arcade games.

Fighting games are niche unless it is a branded game.

Mael

Bel Marduk said:
Those aren't expectations, that's data of what they shipped for the QTR (I think it's the QTR). Notice that MH3's only listed in Japan there where you see the 1150k, and then the other part shows they're bringing it overseas. They don't have expectations for MH3 yet.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaah,
even more interesting then!

legend166

speculawyer said:

Yeah, which is why all those Guilty Gear games sold so well.

Drensch

I think NMH can be summed up easily. I was planning on getting it upon release. I mentioned to a buddy of mine that loved the 1st game that it was coming out in a week. He and I talked about how neither of us would have known based on ads. Then he said screw it, sales will tank and I'll get it cheap. I more or less took the same attitude.

Why should I pay 50$ for it if Ubi doesn't feel like it's worth selling to the audience that lapped up the 1st one?

Pachael

The ones who didn't see that the winds have changed will ultimately lose out. As much as I like IW's newfound successes, they'd better bail out pronto while they're still on top.

I'm totally anticipating that DD will grow exponentially next generation. I can't imagine that a lot of the companies now will be able to sustain themselves if they keep attempting to nab retail space.

Mael

A Link to the Snitch said:
I'm totally anticipating that DD will grow exponentially next generation. I can't imagine that a lot of the companies now will be able to sustain themselves if they keep attempting to nab retail space.

Because you expect them to actually cut the price?
I guess nobody learned anything from the whole Wii experiment

Mael said:

Eh? I'm talking about the sheer inability to get decent retail space, not the inability to produce the content. I mean, that IS a problem, but it's hard to sell if you can't get to the customers.

Mael said:

He's talking about the fact that games get shoved away after their first few weeks or so at retail due to the fact that there are so many games coming out that there isn't neraly enough to sustain them at the small shelves at the retail stores.

Fredescu

Yep. People talk about how games only have a single revenue stream unlike movies etc. DD is it. No battling with retailers to keep your three month old game on a shelf, just stick it on a server. Retail releases won't go away. They will just be supplemented by DD.

Steam is achieving 100% growth every year for years now with a good library and smart pricing*. Consoles lag behind because of a lack of competition in that space, but they'll get there because third party publishers will demand it.

* unless you're in continental Europe I guess.

Drensch said:
I think NMH can be summed up easily. I was planning on getting it upon release. I mentioned to a buddy of mine that loved the 1st game that it was coming out in a week. He and I talked about how neither of us would have known based on ads. Then he said screw it, sales will tank and I'll get it cheap. I more or less took the same attitude.

Why should I pay 50$ for it if Ubi doesn't feel like it's worth selling to the audience that lapped up the 1st one?

That mindset is fine when you think you're only punishing Ubisoft, but you're also punishing Grasshopper and Suda51. If you know about the game and planned to buy it on launch, you still should ir you care about the series and want a sequel.

Mael

Flying_Phoenix said:
He's talking about the fact that games get shoved away after their first few weeks or so at retail due to the fact that there are so many games coming out that there isn't neraly enough to sustain them at the small shelves at the retail stores.

aaaaaah okay!
I still don't see how that's a good thing though.

You folks don't see DD being just as crowded a retail channel if/when it really takes off for consoles? I do. I also think most people still underestimate just how important it is that little Johnny can take his Dad in to get a game while while Dad still retains possession of his credit card during the transaction instead of feeding it into god-knows-where on his boy's "Xbox thingy".

Fredescu

BigNastyCurve said:
You folks don't see DD being just as crowded a retail channel if/when it really takes off for consoles? I do.
That's why you have regular sales to highlight games and bring them back into focus. Steam has multiple midweek and weekend deals, plus pre order price cuts and four packs and so forth. Beyond that, it's up the publisher if they want to generate interest in a game that has been on sale already for a few months. This opens the door to post release marketing to publishers other than the ultra rich like Nintendo that can keep their stock on shelves.

BigNastyCurve said:
also think most people still underestimate just how important it is that little Johnny can take his Dad in to get a game while while Dad still retains possession of his credit card during the transaction instead of feeding it into god-knows-where on his boy's "Xbox thingy".
Retail is very important. DD is supplemental to retail, not necessarily a replacement.

seady

Vizion28 said:
If Ubisoft were smart they would put forth a huge marketing campaign for Red Steal 2 emphasizing it is the first 1 to 1 swordfighting motion controlled action game ever. This is something the world wanted when the Wii was first unveiled back in 2006. I can see the game selling at least 2 million WW easily if they did.

If Ubisoft were smart, they would put a huge ass sticker on the box of Red Steel 2 saying "From the Creator of Just Dance". 300,000 more copies sold.

BigNastyCurve said:
You folks don't see DD being just as crowded a retail channel if/when it really takes off for consoles? I do. I also think most people still underestimate just how important it is that little Johnny can take his Dad in to get a game while while Dad still retains possession of his credit card during the transaction instead of feeding it into god-knows-where on his boy's "Xbox thingy".
It's going to be crowded, but that's inevitable. Competition and a keen eye toward maintaining balance between eager publishers will help...and it's in the marketplace holder's best interest (more people looking and buying, and more software across the board to take a piece of) to foster a situation where a wide range of tastes can be catered to. Certainly better to have a choice of marketplaces where you have a much better chance to get your title on the virtual shelf instead of traditional physical retail where only the big boys can afford to be placed and everything else gets drowned out or doesn't even get a shot up there. And, really, most people have gotten very accustomed to using credit cards and alternate means of e-transactions...this isn't 2000 nor is it 1990. People can buy physical cards for trade into marketplace credit at most stores if they want to. Anyway, physical retail isn't going to just up and disappear overnight...but it is losing its unhealthy dominance where just a few retail monopolies force the market into corners that don't really help anyone (and I'm talking about the consumer and software producer both) except Wal-Mart at the end of the day.

selig

Banned
lol, people taking the nmh2-numbers as disappointment? you always have to look back what suda-games sold before nmh...and then you´ll realize that nmh2 is a success.

im kinda happy to see bayonetta bomb, reaaaally hated the demo.

Celine

Firestorm said:
Someone remind me what Capcom's initial estimates for Dark Void were?
Initially I remember it was something like 2 million WW then they cut it to 1 million and then again to 600K.

Baki

selig said:
lol, people taking the nmh2-numbers as disappointment? you always have to look back what suda-games sold before nmh...and then you´ll realize that nmh2 is a success.

im kinda happy to see bayonetta bomb, reaaaally hated the demo.

Oh...My...God. You cannot be more transparent. Always trumpeting the horn for Nintendo.

But on a aside, suda-games never really seem to do that well.

Fredescu said:
That's why you have regular sales to highlight games and bring them back into focus. Steam has multiple midweek and weekend deals, plus pre order price cuts and four packs and so forth. Beyond that, it's up the publisher if they want to generate interest in a game that has been on sale already for a few months. This opens the door to post release marketing to publishers other than the ultra rich like Nintendo that can keep their stock on shelves.

Retail is very important. DD is supplemental to retail, not necessarily a replacement.

Steam also has an excellent setup; with retail, you're often blindly buying games unless you've done your research, and most people haven't. With Steam, I can look and say "oh hey, this game is a great deal and has great ratings" or "oh hey, this game isn't very good." So a good review is more likely to actually influence more people [that is, if DD becomes more mainstream].

Mael

Steam also has an excellent setup; with retail, you're often blindly buying games unless you've done your research, and most people haven't. With Steam, I can look and say "oh hey, this game is a great deal and has great ratings" or "oh hey, this game isn't very good." So a good review is more likely to actually influence more people [that is, if DD becomes more mainstream].

If you have to dl the demo for each game I can tell you there won't be much impulse buy.

Fredescu

Mael said:
If you have to dl the demo for each game I can tell you there won't be much impulse buy.
:lol Oh boy, go into a Steam sale thread once in a while. "I've never heard of it before, but eh $2. Sold."

Mael

Fredescu said:
:lol Oh boy, go into a Steam sale thread once in a while. "I've never heard of it before, but eh $2. Sold."

Point taken, not the kind of impulse buy I thought off.
Still no way I'm dling 5Go+ data over the web right now or in the near future.
I mean in the time it takes to get dl'd I have the time to go downtown on foot, get the game go to the restaurant, watch a film come back on foot AND begin playing the game.

Just peeked in this thread..f*ck, it is so sad to see the absolute incontestably best action game of its kind I have played this gen (possibly ever), sell such a low amount.

I hope by the end of its lifespan it sells at least a million though it deserves so much better.

I'm praying that relatively low sales don't stop them from giving us Bayonetta 2 or any other action game of the sort in the future..

Finalow

woxel1 said:
Nintendo

Microsoft

Sony

EDIT ADJUSTING FOR LACK OF REAL NPD DRAMA
oh my lol :lol :lol

Nessus

Fredescu said:

God, I do that all the time. Well not "never heard of it before", but something I was mildly interested in, like Far Cry 2, and then at that price I can't not get it.

[PS3] MAG ~150K
[PS3] Darksiders ~130K
[360] Bayonetta ~100K
[PS3] Bayonetta ~60K
[Wii] Tatsunoko vs. Capcom ~50K
[Wii] No More Heroes 2 ~25K
[All] Dark Void - 22K

If these numbers are true than Bayonetta is pretty much in line with Madworld, which is quite surprising; I expected it to do much better than Madworld. It's a much bigger production and in a much more popular genre, SEGA can't be happy with those sales (It would've costed much more and was actually advertised on TV. It may have just over doubled the sales of MW with both consoles combined but it would've costed much more than double the amount it cost MW to produce)

Tatsunoko Vs Capcom is quite an eye opener, it managed to almost double the first week sales of it's japanese counterpart! (TVC was released on Jan 26th so it would've been tracked for about a week in the US) Those sales are pretty damn impressive considering that half the cast are completly unknown to most people (hell even most of the people on here, myself included, don't even know where these characters come from and that's saying something!) and that it's in a niche genre!

As for NMH2, don't count it as a bomba just yet. It's first NPD sales figures account for about half the amount of time as the original game. It may yet be able to keep up with the original game, considering the legs that Wii games tend to have! (and even considering that, it would still be SUDA's 2nd best selling game of all time anyway)

Dark Void is as big a bomba as Bionic Commando. I wouldn't be surprised if Dark Void Zero outsold it (funny considering that Bionic Commando Rearmed outsold the retail game as well, hell both downloadable games were better recieved critically as well :lol)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Fredescu said:
I have done it. "Its $2, this guy I don't really know says its fun, lets give it a try!"

Fredescu

Mael said:
Point taken, not the kind of impulse buy I thought off.
Still no way I'm dling 5Go+ data over the web right now or in the near future.
I mean in the time it takes to get dl'd I have the time to go downtown on foot, get the game go to the restaurant, watch a film come back on foot AND begin playing the game.
My Steam folder is over 200GB and it's not even the only DD service I use, and I live in a country with shitty internet. I get that you're saying it won't be an impulse buy in the sense that you can pick it up and play straight away, but if the price is right you'll get used to buying now and playing later once it's downloaded.

Nessus said:
Well not "never heard of it before"
I did that for Osmos, and man that game was good. Best $2 I've ever spent.

Mael

Fredescu said:
My Steam folder is over 200GB and it's not even the only DD service I use, and I live in a country with shitty internet. I get that you're saying it won't be an impulse buy in the sense that you can pick it up and play straight away, but if the price is right you'll get used to buying now and playing later once it's downloaded.

Homo sapiens is creature of habit :-/
Believe me it'll take a while to get over more than 15 years of conditioning.

nightside

Fredescu said:

that's why i spent more money on steam during holiday sales than on wii games during the entire 2009:lol

Mael

nightside said:
that's why i spent more money on steam during holiday sales than on wii games during the entire 2009:lol

That's okay I probably spent more money on wii games in 2008 than you did on steam last year :/ (seriously what was the point of this comment?)

Top Bottom