• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2016

RexNovis

Banned
Well it looks like my assessment in the prediction thread was spot on: that price parity ($349) or premiums ($399) with the competition was not a good value for XB1 in the eyes of the consumer. The gap appears to actually be bigger than I thought it would be. Still trying to catch up with everything but I fully expect this trend (PS4 up YoY and XB1 down YoY) to continue until they start offering a lower prices package again which I'd imagined they will be forced to do eventually.

onQ123

I think they were expecting a whole lot more sales with that 'Greatest Games Lineup in History' narrative they were pushing but they got thoroughly thrashed by Sony last year. During the holiday in particular. 2015 could very well have been their peak year. Halo 5 was not the cornerstone title they thought it would be and if their #1 franchise was unable to give them a sizable bump, then it is safe to assume nothing else will. They've got Gears 4 coming in the fall but that is hardly enough to push them ahead of PS4 and any pricecut they throw out there Sony can counter. They've lost and they know it.

This generation is more like the Dremcast/PS2/Xbox/Gamecube generation. Only thing left for the other console makers to do is to make a break for the next generation.

Wii U is done for & Nintendo is moving on Xbox One isn't going to move much units until Christmas time unless they release a slim between $199 - $250 . but is it worth making a slim vs moving on to stop PS4 from running away with this generation?

barit

Interesting stuff. GTAV is official a culture phenomenon just like Minecraft. My cousin predicted it already in 2013 (when I asked him why he bought GTAV on day-1 as a casual gamer). He even double dibbed when it came out for PS4 just like me and many others.

MS's struggle seems to keep going on in 2016. They need that Xbone Slim fast this year or else I can't see how they could stop their downward trend. Or maybe MS really surrendered with Xbox One and they want now that shift to a service only (with publishing their games on PC and Windows store).

Well, it's January. Besides GTA V's excellent performance there are no real surprises, so no wonder this thread doesn't deliver like the previous ones.

Still, March and April will be interesting™. Thanks to Uncharted 4 and we might see a first glimpse of the impact of MS' new platform strategy.

Rymuth

Post season is upon us.

600 posts and thread drops out of page 1. This doesn't feel like NPD day at all!
Even the prediction thread was littered with talks about February and Street Fighter.
No one cares about January.
fGX4ZPz.jpg

Tratorn

Wow, still no real sales update. :/
I wish GAF wouldn't have noticed that George is an alternate acc...

Not even the 225k PS4 vs 115k XB1 is "confirmed" yet, right?

jjonez18

Guess it's in the op, but dunno if anyone caught it...

"Last year, we got a surprising hit in Dying Light in January, and 2016’s first month had nothing like that. NPD points out that Dying Light had 239 percent more unit sales than Lego Marvel Avengers."

http://venturebeat.com/2016/02/11/january-2016-npd-xbox-one-ps4/

Dying Light was <500k according to Jan 2015 thread. Puts Lego at <210k. Guesstimating the top ten bottoms out at around the 200k mark.

Edit: Math'ed wrong. So <150k for LEGO.

allan-bh

Wow, still no real sales update. :/
I wish GAF wouldn't have noticed that George is an alternate acc...

Not even the 225k PS4 vs 115k XB1 is "confirmed" yet, right?

PS4 is at least at ~227k, we don't have a precise figure but probably is not much more than this.

XBO 115k I didn't even understand why is floating around, we just know is less than 153k.

Tratorn

PS4 is at least at ~227k, we don't have a precise figure but probably is not much more than this.

XBO 115k I didn't even understand why is floating around, we just know is less than 153k.

Ok, thanks.
Hopefully we'll get some more hints soon.

Into

So does FIFA sell well in NA now?

I think with Ultimate Team, FIFA really gained traction in the States.

There are ton of NFL and NBA athletes whose favorite game is funny enough, FIFA simply due to UT. Even though that mode exists in some form in other sports games, FIFA is still the best version of it. Its addicting. FIFA is almost Pokemanz for jocks.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah yeah I know, but 60h a week isn't simply huge it's uncanny. In any cases, it's far from any standard I can think of.

Anyway, whatever... I still laugh at the idea of the people that make up those PRs. I can picture a room full of serious people with a handful of various numbers filled documents "Guys, we need to spin this".

Does it only count actively playing online, or simply being connected. Because my Xbox one is on and connected to XBL even when my wife is just watching TV. That could jack the numbers up really high and make them basically meaningless for actual engagement with games.

IvanJ

Banned
Guess it's in the op, but dunno if anyone caught it...

"Last year, we got a surprising hit in Dying Light in January, and 2016’s first month had nothing like that. NPD points out that Dying Light had 239 percent more unit sales than Lego Marvel Avengers."

http://venturebeat.com/2016/02/11/january-2016-npd-xbox-one-ps4/

Dying Light was <500k according to Jan 2015 thread. Puts Lego at <210k. Guesstimating the top ten bottoms out at around the 200k mark.

Wouldn't LEGO need to be around 150K for DL to be 500K with a 239% increase?

Right does anyone have the overall breakdown of sales of Star Wars and Cod on each platform?

I'm not sure those numbers are available. Keep in my mind though that all of those bundles with copies of Battlefront and CoD, those games aren't included in the top ten. Xbone did not have any bundles for those two games. That's probably why you see those games charting higher on xbone even though it's likely more PS4 players own those games.

ASIS

I was never a fan of the GTA series and always felt the series was a bit overrated, but V was so impressive I simply cannot say that. I feel like it deserved every single sale.

Congrats to Rockstar for making such a beast of a game.

It's so weird that being the best selling console and having exclusive marketing doesn't make Star Wars or COD best selling on the PS4.

Right does anyone have the overall breakdown of sales of Star Wars and Cod on each platform?

For both consoles, it seems like the reverse of what you'd expect. The console with the marketing deal comes in second in sales. But those marketing deals include bundles that aren't counted in the NPD numbers. The console without the deal gets all the raw game sales applied to it.

madmackem

Man there's no stopping that ps4 train. Ms continues to lose month on month in its strongest region. I think we know why a lot of their games seem to be hitting PC now they've woken up to the PC being alive. No doubt we start to see Windows numbers in with Xbox numbers to bump them up, forcing Windows ten use to play their games points to it.

Man there's no stopping that ps4 train. Ms continues to lose month on month in its strongest region. I think we know why a lot of their games seem to be hitting PC now they've woken up to the PC being alive. No doubt we start to see Windows numbers in with Xbox numbers to bump them up, forcing Windows ten use to play their games points to it.

Its quiet clever if you think about it. Look at ubisofts software numbers. Windows 10 and xbox toegtehr makes 39 percent of sales. still behind sony's monster ps4 sales. It's the only way MS Can get close to sony, by combining 2 platforms.

Its quiet clever if you think about it. Look at ubisofts software numbers. Windows 10 and xbox toegtehr makes 39 percent of sales. still behind sony's monster ps4 sales. It's the only way MS Can get close to sony, by combining 2 platforms.

you do know adding PC + Xbox sales together doesn't equal Microsoft right?

Top Bottom