• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2009

gtj1092

AniHawk said:
PS2 24,112,000 (45-month mark) (June 2004)
PS2 18,080,000 (33-month mark) (June 2003)

Xbox - 9,361,402 (33-month mark) (July 2004)
Xbox - 12,500,000 (45-month mark) (July 2005)

GCN - 7,673,241 (33-month mark) (July 2004)
GCN - 11,122,000 (45-month mark) (July 2005)

360 15,683,786 (45 months) (July 2009)
360 10,749,000 (33 months) (July 2008)

PS3 8,035,896 (33 months) (July 2009)

Wii 20,817,781 (33 months) (July 2009)

Great post. Puts things in perspective. I asked for something similar in another thread but got no response.

szaromir said:
I think Wollan drew this after E3 '06 to show his personal feelings about the consoles - PS3 would be the obvious winner, 360 was just barely able to compete with PS3 graphically at the time, but didn't have long-term potential, while Wii was supposed to be a total piece of crap and loose even before the generation started..
Lol Wollan:lol

FrankT

SlipperySlope said:
It wasn't last quarter.

It's been profitable overall for the last two fiscal years brotha, which in fact nullifies your original statement. A quarter means nothing.

HiResDes

OnPoint said:
Controller Condom: No, No, Yes
LED equipped disc slot: No, No, Yes
Gamecube Controller ports: No, No, Yes

Shiiiiiiiiit.
Cooking Mama:No, No, Yes
ATI Hollywood:No,NO, Yes
IBM Broadway: No, No, Yes
Packed in stand:No, No Yes!

Mantorok

the thoroughbred said:
And there appears to be proof. Look at Sega, 3 semi flops for Wii. One did ok, but the point is, they are quite happy and stable. Whereas a major budget flop on the other 2, has led to numerous bankruptcies.

Damn right, the backed the wrong horse. Capcom on the other-hand have been utilizing engines, multi-platform releasing etc etc. There is no harm supporting expensive consoles, as long as they are smart with their moneys.

Capcom are not only smart but nearly every one of their games kick major arse, they've always been a supreme developer, I think this helps alot, although yeah their console choice, game choice, execution and delivery of a product is second to none, in fact they are outdoing Nintendo in that respect.

Comparing Capcom to Sega is pointless, Sega isn't even in the same sport IMO.

AniHawk said:
There are quite a few great games coming out this year.

Depends what your tastes are and what systems you own. 2010 is bigger, but 2010 is a direct descendant from the royal 1998 bloodline (every 3 years since 1998 usually see that generation's best games). It's to be expected.

This generation started in 2005.

...wait....wow going by the previous 2 generations the first successful next generation console would be launching in 13-15 months. :/

the thoroughbred said:
And there appears to be proof. Look at Sega, 3 semi flops for Wii. One did ok, but the point is, they are quite happy and stable. Whereas a major budget flop on the other 2, has led to numerous bankruptcies.

House of the Dead and Conduit have performed up to expectations (so that's 2 okay and 1 bomb) .

Mantorok

Vagabundo said:
Fun: No No Yes

Oh dear...

JC.gif

HiResDes

Mantorok said:
Capcom are not only smart but nearly every one of their games kick major arse, they've always been a supreme developer, I think this helps alot, although yeah their console choice, game choice, execution and delivery of a product is second to none, in fact they are outdoing Nintendo in that respect.

Comparing Capcom to Sega is pointless, Sega isn't even in the same sport IMO.
Sega Defense Blitzkrieg: Hoooaah!...Sega is one of the top 5 best publishers in the entire console industry, they have a knack for backing high quality games, which in part may also be their biggest flaw.

Mantorok

HiResDes said:
Sega Defense Blitzkrieg: Hoooaah!...Sega is one of the top 5 best publishers in the entire console industry, they have a knack for backing high quality games, which in part may also be their biggest flaw.

Yeah they are making it big as a publisher, but their development skills leave a lot to be desired these days, Capcom is still producing the goods though.

AniHawk

Flying_Phoenix said:
This generation started in 2005.

1998: Metal Gear Solid, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Ocarina of Time, Half-Life
2001: Grand Theft Auto III, Gran Turismo 3, Shenmue II, Ico
2004: Halo 2, San Andreas, Metal Gear Solid 3, Half-Life 2

2007: Super Mario Galaxy, Halo 3, The Orange Box, Puzzle Quest
2010: Super Mario Galaxy 2, Halo Reach, Half-Life 2: Episode Three, Bayonetta

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
VanMardigan said:
-Wii fans clamoring for a price cut means that the Wii sold less than 15 million for the month and the fanboys are worried that it didn't sell ten times as much as the competition combined and the "fad" word will get thrown around.

I think it's more the HD guys proclaiming the fall of a tyrant, or something. That's the great thing about your preferred console being in first; the smug satisfaction combined with knowing how pissed everyone else is.

Hey, don't give me shit, I lived through the Gamecube days.

The Wii sells 250k units and people are talking about price point saturation? Seriously, it has a looong way to go to get there :p
Pretty good showing for the XBOX360, though.

I think what these sales prove that:

1 - The Wii's success from last year was unsustainable, and I bet we will NEVER see the wii sell like it sold last year.

2 - Nintendo NEEDS to Bundle Motion + and WSR with EVERY new wii that comes out :p

Kozak

Banned
mario ate my burger said:
Selling 50k more then your nearest competitor is not enough!

God Damn Nintendo. Can't they see that their product is truly revealing itself to be the fad that it is? That it always was?

NINTENDOOOOOOOOOOOOO

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
RubberJohnny said:
28j8bpz.jpg

Since Sony's broken out the chart again, I thought I'd repost the one that has been reposted.

Control Condum: Not Avaliable, Not Avaliable, Yes.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I think we should make charts like these for every console + the PC and iPhone. They're brilliant :lol.

Road

KirmiziBeyaz said:
Wii is slipping so hard that its still beating both the 360 and Ps3 in hardware sales. Wait!
Is the concept of "slipping" really that difficult to understand?

See? Slipping hard.

It's got nothing to do with beating 360 and PS3.

HiResDes

Road said:

See? Slipping hard.

Is the Wii's market finally getting saturated? I think that is at the root of their slippage, though come Q3/Q4 they will probably be right back on track.

scitek said:
I'd guess The Conduit did around 28k for the second month. That interview posted yesterday confirmed it had sold around 100k in the US, and we know 72k of that was in June's NPD, so..

Maybe it'll have a little niche

HiResDes said:
Is the Wii's market finally getting saturated? I think that is at the root of their slippage, though come Q3/Q4 they will probably be right back on track.

Absence of big hitters right now

orion434

I've been readinG Neogaf NPD thread for over 2 years now... it's been the same story for SONY. I remember a guy Snah or Shah would defend SONY on all fronts, then Private Hoffman...

I used to like when charts that were posted, a guy with a Samuel L Jackson avatar used to post them, or he put that pic in the chart, it was funny as hell. JVM & Panter Lotus do a good job with the charts.

farnham

Banned
Road said:

See? Slipping hard.

well january - march are rather big months

and the rest is rather slow up until november

jay

rayner said:
I've been readinG Neogaf NPD thread for over 2 years now... it's been the same story for SONY. I remember a guy Snah or Shah would defend SONY on all fronts, then Private Hoffman...

They ban all the funniest posters.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
HiResDes said:
Is the Wii's market finally getting saturated?

I see this argument every now and then, but I'd like it if someone told me what they mean when they say "saturated". Anyone?

HiResDes

Kilrogg said:
I see this argument every now and then, but I'd like it if someone actually told me what they mean when they say "saturated". Anyone?
Basically its just a fancy way of saying that they've spread themselves thin.

orion434

jay said:
They ban all the funniest posters.

Who made the charts though? They would align launches... the last I could remember is "crossing the streams" when the Wii overtook the X360 in the NPD LTD numbers.

LosDaddie

Banned
Nothing unexpected from NPD this month. WSR reigns supreme overall, while NCAA10 reigns supreme on the HD consoles. Great games sell great:D

Nintendo needs to cut the Wii's price to $200 (I'd go for $190). Long overdue for a price cut.

Sony is in a tight position. If the PS3 (and its software) was selling better, then I could see a $100 cut. But I think a $50 cut (with a bundled game) is more realistic.

MS is doing great considering the economic climate. But I believe the "Kill the Pro SKU, Cut Elite to $300, Keep the Arcade SKU the Same" strategy is flawed. The X360 needs an HDD-equipped SKU $100 less than PS3 to continue its sales momentum.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens at Comic Con and TGS.

Zhuk said:

Never gets old! :lol :lol

Kilrogg said:
Come again?

Basically what's being suggested is that - at its current price point - the Wii has sold to just about everyone who would be prepared to buy one - it's saturated that particular section of the market.

Segata Sanshiro said:
I couldn't possibly. I just don't have the vigor of my youth, these days.

:lol

terrythomas_2.jpg

LosDaddie said:
Nintendo needs to cut the Wii's price to $200 (I'd go for $190). Long overdue for a price cut.

Again, I really don't see this happening. A fresh bundle with extra hardware/software but retaining the same (or a slightly higher) price would be in line with what Nintendo seem to be about this time around.

Christine

Kilrogg said:
I see this argument every now and then, but I'd like it if someone told me what they mean when they say "saturated". Anyone?

At a guess, they mean that a majority of the set of customers willing to pay $249 for a Wii has already purchased one. Like how a towel is no longer absorbent after being saturated with enough liquid.

Jeff-DSA

Nintendo has the least to worry about when it comes to slipping sales. The moment they cut the Wii to $199, we'll be back to insane numbers. When sales are generally slow, Nintendo might as well continue to milk that $250 price point. Even with that price, they're still increasing their market share lead month to month, so I'd think Nintendo has to be pretty happy right about now.

HiResDes

Jeff-DSA said:
Nintendo has the least to worry about when it comes to slipping sales. The moment they cut the Wii to $199, we'll be back to insane numbers. When sales are generally slow, Nintendo might as well continue to milk that $250 price point. Even with that price, they're still increasing their market share lead month to month, so I'd think Nintendo has to be pretty happy right about now.
That is exactly what we're getting at, the need for a price cut within the next 6 months.

birdchili

do bundles of hardware with already-released software do much for sales in anything other than the really-short term?

and agree to an extent that the only really potentially huge wii system seller we know about for this year is nsmb wii. fit+ and wsr are going to sell really well to the converted, but don't seem likely to increase the installed base by much.

there's a *lot* of pretty nifty looking mid-range stuff coming soonish, i just don't see much of it being the kind of thing that's going to move a lot of new hardware.

maybe it doesn't matter much in absolute terms this year as there doesn't seem to be a lot of magic software on the horizon on any platform? as long as they can maintain a sales lead over the competition?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
HiResDes said:
That is exactly what we're getting at, the need for a price cut within the next 6 months.
There is no need for a price cut though. They are still selling more consoles than anyone else and making more profit than anyone else on each console.
Given the fact that PS3 is showing significant YOY declines and the 360 and DS are holding steady at best - its not the Wii that is slipping it is the hardware market as a whole that is declining.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
poppabk said:
There is no need for a price cut though. They are still selling more consoles than anyone else and making more profit than anyone else on each console.

On the other hand they're about to WILDLY miss their expectations which is going to cause a beating on their already pisstanked stock.

Running a company isn't about pleasing internet fans or pulling a quick one on the competition, it's about good business, and Nintendo absolutely needs to start magically selling more Wiis ASAP.

Dunlop

poppabk said:
Given the fact that PS3 is showing significant YOY declines and the 360 and DS are holding steady at best - its not the Wii that is slipping it is the hardware market as a whole that is declining.

?

Isn't last month a large decline YoY from last year for the Wii? Hence it is slipping, otherwise all the systems should have seen a similar decline

Top Bottom