• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2009

Zhuk said:
Anyone got that drawing of the 360 and PS3 trucks at the finish line?
xm0rad.jpg

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
AniHawk said:
Oh good, you found the sales-age threads.

what? who is he? [checks post history]

[lots of PoliGAF posts, among them:]
SlipperySlope said:
I see how some people can see it as derogatory. I don't personally. Just like calling people radical far right isn't derogatory, so long as the name fits.

I'm radical far right. But I'm not crazy far right. There's a clear difference. Just like I didn't call Ghalleon crazy far left.

It's the crazies that go around and start causing trouble and shouting matches.

oh no :lol oh this guy is gonna be great.

boiled goose

good with gravy
PopcornMegaphone said:
My guess is if you're title is going to bomb, my guess is its less expensive if it's a downloadable title.

if it cost less to develop, its not going to be the same game. that is the issue.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Raist said:
So basically Okami was a niche title and didn't actually bomb (and I'm talking both versions here)?

I thought people generally considered both versions of Okami a bomb? It didn't light up the charts at all.

As far as calling it niche, its art style isn't quite to the extreme MadWorld's is.

Danthrax said:
I thought people generally considered both versions of Okami a bomb? It didn't light up the charts at all.

I don't think there is much to consider. Capcom has made it pretty clear that Okami failed to reach their expectations.

AniHawk

Basileus777 said:
I don't think there is much to consider. Capcom has made it pretty clear that Okami failed to reach their expectations.

I thought it did so well Capcom shut down Clover and let Mikami and Kamiya do whatever they wanted.

ZAK

d+pad said:
It's funny that people are so obsessed with the 360 or even the PS3 pulling ahead of the Wii. What will it accomplish, exactly?
Well, at that point you can unlock Unzip Fly, which of course you need in order to perform the Dick Wave.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Sleeker said:
So what is it about the 360 that makes it that stable?

good library.
good steady release of new games.
price drops to keep increasing the people you can target.

and not so high to begin with.

markatisu

Just wondering, does anybody know whether the 360 was declining last year? Since it was out 1yr before could it be possible its staying stable because it already had its decrease.

What I mean is the Wii is obviously coming down to "normal" console levels, so if next year it becomes stable at the 200-300k range it will not be down YoY as we are seeing now

Isn't that the reason the 360 began its price drops in the first place last year?

Raist

Banned
Danthrax said:

As far as calling it niche, its art style isn't quite to the extreme MadWorld's is.

Of course it bombed. Just as MadWorld bombed. Justifying the poor sales with the "niche title" card sounds a bit silly. Especially if MadWorld gets its "niche title" status just because of the art style. Which in addition is not exactly from outer space. I think games like Killer 7 have way more chances to put people off because of its graphical signature.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Raist said:
So basically Okami was a niche title and didn't actually bomb (and I'm talking both versions here)?

oh, okami bombed.

madworld is niche because it is a score based brawler with ultra violence. (not just standard video game violence)
it is made from a niche developer. makers of okami and god hand , but with a new name now.
madword is a new IP.

i thought the artstyle would be appealing, not off putting actually.

Raist said:
Of course it bombed. Just as MadWorld bombed. Justifying the poor sales with the "niche title" card sounds a bit silly. Especially if MadWorld gets its "niche title" status just because of the art style. Which in addition is not exactly from outer space. I think games like Killer 7 have way more chances to put people off because of its graphical signature.

i agree. i think its more the unknown IP, unknown genre, unknown dev. that contributes.
i do think the artstyle of both games would make them seem more unique and interesting.

jman2050 said:
You haven't exactly specified what their long term goal is and why what they're doing is so much better than everyone else's.

I already explained what they're doing and what the other companies aren't doing. Most of it is smart investing. You break down business to its core and it's just taking money and giving it back in a way that will give you more. but here's some things that they have done recently mostly well for their long term outlook (and I'm not necessarily saying that the other two haven't done most of these things) -

Keep it steady. Get a long-term fan-base and don't take them for granted. Create a long-term brand aka let them know you're not going anywhere. Get lots of new ips that you can make sequels for in the future. Be a company people want to make games for. Show them there's money to be made by making products for them. They are your friends, not enemies or slaves. Keep a slow but steady output of old ips from the past and don't rely entirely on them. Keep the prices competitive. Pick up companies that have promise...be the first to shake their hands when they enter the party and last to shake their hands when they're leaving the party. Pick up companies that your competitors use against you. Reinvest into yourself. Have faith in your own future endeavors. Don't sit on your money. Invest in 3rd and 1st parties. Give your customers what they want by first listening to them - Updates, netflix, downloadable games, xbla arcade, avatars, things like that. market (aka reinvest). Dabble into the unknown but don't dive in, take advantage of the shortcomings of your competitors. When they trip, you froggy hop right over them. Don't trip! Don't let them hop over your back when you do. Show that you give a rats ass about your fanbase and the industry...be a "good guy" in the industry the best you can with the least amount of self-sacrifice. Play to win, don't play like you're already winning.

They're big miss-step this gen was and is the hardware issues. But they did a half-way decent job of keeping it quiet while appeasing the masses with the extended warranty. It was still a big big mistake for their brand loyalty. But Microsoft is keeping the eye on the prize regardless... nice steady improvements over time.

boiled goose

good with gravy
CultureClearance said:
I already explained what they're doing and what the other companies aren't doing. Most of it is smart investing. You break down business to its core and it's just taking money and giving it back in a way that will give you more. but here's some things that they have done recently mostly well for their long term outlook (and I'm not necessarily saying that the other two haven't done most of these things) -

Keep it steady. Get a long-term fan-base and don't take them for granted. Create a long-term brand aka let them know you're not going anywhere. Get lots of new ips that you can make sequels for in the future. Be a company people want to make games for. Show them there's money to be made by making products for them. They are your friends, not enemies or slaves. Keep a slow but steady output of old ips from the past and don't rely entirely on them. Keep the prices competitive. Pick up companies that have promise...be the first to shake their hands when they enter the party and last to shake their hands when they're leaving the party. Pick up companies that your competitors use against you. Reinvest into yourself. Have faith in your own future endeavors. Don't sit on your money. Invest in 3rd and 1st parties. Give your customers what they want by first listening to them - Updates, netflix, downloadable games, xbla arcade, avatars, things like that. market (aka reinvest). Dabble into the unknown but don't dive in, take advantage of the shortcomings of your competitors. When they trip, you froggy hop right over them. Don't trip! Don't let them hop over your back when you do. Show that you give a rats ass about your fanbase and the industry...be a "good guy" in the industry the best you can with the least amount of self-sacrifice. Play to win, don't play like you're already winning.

They're big miss-step this gen was and is the hardware issues. But they did a half-way decent job of keeping it quiet while appeasing the masses with the extended warranty. It was still a big big mistake for their brand loyalty. But Microsoft is keeping the eye on the prize regardless... nice steady improvements over time.

microsoft should hire you. then they would have spin like sony does.

have you seen what has happened in the few gens this industry has seen? complete total turn arounds from one gen to the next. microsoft has done a good job increasing its marketshare in two generations but so did Sony from PS1 to PS2.

AniHawk

PS2 24,112,000 (45-month mark) (June 2004)
PS2 18,080,000 (33-month mark) (June 2003)

Xbox - 9,361,402 (33-month mark) (July 2004)
Xbox - 12,500,000 (45-month mark) (July 2005)

GCN - 7,673,241 (33-month mark) (July 2004)
GCN - 11,122,000 (45-month mark) (July 2005)

360 15,683,786 (45 months) (July 2009)
360 10,749,000 (33 months) (July 2008)

PS3 8,035,896 (33 months) (July 2009)

Wii 20,817,781 (33 months) (July 2009)

laserbeam

Banned
"Casual Fad fans" would already have the system and not be a consistent source of new sales.

Its amazing how quickly the doom and gloom always starts on the Wii yet with the 360 and Ps3 its always been oh its just price point saturation etc.

Guess what the Wii is pretty much at its Pricepoint saturation point the only difference is it managed to sell 50 million units before that point instead of 20 or whatever

Raist

Banned
AniHawk said:

Do you happen to have enough data to make a decent LTD vs time plot? I'd be interested to see the trends for each consoles, especially Wii vs PS2.

Sonys problem is price and Ps2 bc.

It's really easy to forget on a video game forum or even in our real lives where we insulate ourselves with people who know their shit, but when Monty Mindless Masses comes into a store and sees two systems where one is 200$ and one is 400$, they have 90% the same games, their exclusives have equivalents (Halo/Killzone) and all their ps2 games are worthless either way...they buy the 360.

Add in Ps2 bc and at least that shows a value to that customer looking to upgrade. Cut the price even 25$ on top of that and it would be a huge, huge step.

Also, anyone thinking Rock Band Beatles is going to be a megaton hit is nuts. It will do ok, maybe even well, but giant sales #s and saving the Music Game Genre is not going to happen. Just like any band specific release, there are just as many people who don't like the band as do, this one comes with the added stigma of being an "old persons band" and having a 250$ bundle price.

AniHawk

Raist said:
Do you happen to have enough data to make a decent LTD vs time plot? I'd be interested to see the trends for each consoles, especially Wii vs PS2.

I'm too lazy. The PS2 has been outselling the Wii this year if you align them from launch. It's just that the Wii was outselling the PS2 by a much crazier amount much earlier.

The opposite happened with the DS. The DS started off -very- slow and really started to take off like crazy in the last two years or so.

AniHawk said:

damn, first 5 million will buy it without any games huh?

The Wii has sold well over 20 million (in the US alone), and it's done so without a single price cut or SKU change. The reality is that the console is much closer to market saturation than either of the HD Twins are, and it's only natural that the Wii would eventually start slowing down at some point. With that said, I think Nintnedo is going to be very strong in the coming months. Wii Sports Resort will have ridiculously long legs, Wii Fit+ will have healthy sales throughout the holidays, and New Super Mario Bros. has a very real chance of being the biggest game of the year. Moreover, I really wouldn't be surprised to see these games lingering on the top ten in the middle of 2010. These three games could all be described as "evergreen" titles and I could see each one reaching worldwide sales of 10 million in their lifetimes. Of course, Nintnedo could also spike interest in the Wii by introducing new colors or dropping the price. If Nintendo would release a black Wii in North America in time for Christmas, I guarantee that the console would be the "must have" item for the fourth year in a row. In any case, I think the Wii has a very bright future ahead of it.

mj1108

AniHawk said:

So the PS3 is tracking oh-so-slightly ahead of the GameCube. Sony camp must be proud.

boiled goose

good with gravy
it would be very strange if nintendo does manage to have 6 evergreen titles in the wii alone.

Imagine a slow NPD month where Wii play, wii fit, wii fit +, mario kart wii, wii sports resort, and NSMB wii are all in the top ten.

that would be insane.

Nintendo is becoming way too powerful.

Raist

Banned
AniHawk said:
I'm too lazy. The PS2 has been outselling the Wii this year if you align them from launch. It's just that the Wii was outselling the PS2 by a much crazier amount much earlier.

The opposite happened with the DS. The DS started off -very- slow and really started to take off like crazy in the last two years or so.

So you never have anything constructive to say AND are useless.
WELL THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Zhuk

Banned
SlipperySlope said:
It wasn't last quarter.

That was one quarter, over a fiscal year the division has been profitable for a few years now. Furthermore it is well known that the Xbox division does turn profits however the Zune and WinMo business usually run at losses which eat into any profits the Xbox division makes under the Entertainment and Devices division.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
As a gamer I’m bored out of my mind right now so it doesn’t surprise me sales are slow. Look for that trend to continue all the way through the end of the year, the 09 holiday lineup is a snoozefest as well. 2010 will be crazy mad money all the way around.

CiSTM

Banned
Gouty said:
As a gamer I’m bored out of my mind right now so it doesn’t surprise me sales are slow. Look for that trend to continue all the way through the end of the year, the 09 holiday lineup is a snoozefest as well. 2010 will be crazy mad money all the way around.

Everyone is afraid of MW2 :( Except for Nintendo. NSMB Wii is going to be awesome and makes my year already :)

boiled goose

good with gravy
Gouty said:

hope you bought little kings story....

AniHawk

Gouty said:

There are quite a few great games coming out this year.

Depends what your tastes are and what systems you own. 2010 is bigger, but 2010 is a direct descendant from the royal 1998 bloodline (every 3 years since 1998 usually see that generation's best games). It's to be expected.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
No doubt there will be great games this year that will make loads of cash, but 09 is looking to be pretty lackluster overall. I bet even the ones that sell well will be under expectations. Fan’s of “X” game sequel coming out this year will tell me I’m an idiot and that I shouldn’t be bored but I bet 09 sales will tell my tale. Again, look out for 2010, its going to be monstrous.

Feenix29

1st crack at NPD predictions and im way off on both HW and SW.

Mario games are just...Amazing
Things are going to get real interesting from here on out with all the possible price drops from Sony and MS. Wonder if Nintendo will follow suit.

szaromir

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
:lol story, please...
I think Wollan drew this after E3 '06 to show his personal feelings about the consoles - PS3 would be the obvious winner, 360 was just barely able to compete with PS3 graphically at the time, but didn't have long-term potential, while Wii was supposed to be a total piece of crap and loose even before the generation started..

CTLance

Is it too late to spew obscenities at the US gaffers for not buying Little Kings Story? I mean, sure, it looks cutesy, but that's just a ruse. The first major thing you do is go to the south and exterminate the black guys (!!!) because their king sent you a letter of challenge ("You suck"). It's a quest for world domination, no holds barred. Buy this game you idorts! :(

Anyway, thanks for the numbers, as always.

Slow month, Wii is getting dangerously close to the 360. I hope this puts Nintendo under pressure. A cornered Nintendo is a Nintendo that makes the good shit. Nintendo in the lead is a bad idea, in comparison. But that' just my $0.02.

Top Bottom