• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2009

AniHawk

MikeE21286 said:
I don't understand what would draw in more purchases than SMG

It's 2D Mario, so it's familiar to people who have played the game before (just try handing someone a modern controller and see if they can navigate a 3D world right off the bat), and it has multiplayer, so it's got the social aspect that makes the Wii's best sellers best sellers.

Magik

Ultimo hombre said:
Climate plus absolute rape of the genre. It's not just the climate.

This year alone we'll:

GH: M
GH: Smash hits
Band Hero
DJ Hero
GH: 5
GH: Van Halen
Rock Band: Beatles
Lego Rock Band

That's a lot of shit and the worst part is that none of these games are part of a platform (like RB1 to RB2) so you're stuck having to disc swap to play diff songs. The plastic toy sales model for Activision is coming to a crash. Harmonix isn't doing themselves any favors by going away from the platform philosophy with RB: Beatles and Lego rock band.

This fall is definitely going to hit the music genre really hard. Activision already knows this which is probably why they included GHVH free with GH5 to pad GH5 sales. They know full well GHVH is going to bomb since GH:SHits sold poorly.

I think Beatles:RB is going to sell decently but no where near what GH3 or RB1 did in numbers. As for Lego:RB, isn't that next year?

I still think DJ Hero is going to surprise everybody and sell pretty well. What I think will help DJ Hero is the fact that its something new where as GH/RB has been relatively the same for the last two years.

Jtyettis said:
They had pretty much the core franchises in the line up last year as well for the holiday quarter. Gears last year and another Halo this year. They are missing a Fable type game, but they will be pushing Forza no doubt it and likely will promote L4D2 as much as possible. Banjo certainly wasn't pushing anybody last year even if I loved the game. The $199 price point isn't going anywhere however and for moms and dads that will still be a hot ticket item for Christmas just like last year. That more than anything will push sales granted they do those hot holiday bundles.

Some crazy guys on this board have this odd belief that the "incredible" PS3 lineup will power the PS3 this fall and the "weak" 360 software lineup will cause it to decline or be flat. I have no idea where this logic springs from. Every fall PS3 fanboys think they have a mega line-up and it almost never translates into actual blockbuster sales. Looking at this Fall I see nothing to change that.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Arpharmd B said:
Do people realize that next month could potentially see both 360 and PS3 (if the Slim and Pricecut make August) on top of Wii for the first time in console war history?

I believe I am the first person to throw this out there in the thread.

It won't happen in August but I wouldn't be surprised to see either the PS3 or 360 ahead of the Wii in September, assuming the $299 PS3 slim and/or $299 360 elite hit early that month and there is no price cut for the Wii.

I took a look at the charts I put together for fun every month....

NPD Normalized and Aligned to PS2

...and unless there's a major cock-up in my numbers, this month is the second in a row where the Wii is selling less than the PS2 in an equivalent time frame, since almost a year and a half ago. If anything, that's a reason to think that drastic measures may be required soon.

Granted, I think that NSMB could be acceptably drastic, but the next couple months may be pretty depressing for the N-fan. Dead Space: Extraction could help a little against the downslide, I guess, but I'd be pretty shocked if it did anything really substantial.

Edit: Above analysis erroneous due to misaligned numbers. Chart updated since then, but ignore my driving point of the post. Happy that I didn't make a ban bet of any kind based on this stuff in my first NPD post. :O

EditEdit: Just to clarify, I'm missing NPD numbers from Oct'00 to Oct'01 for the PS2¸ so the chart was treating 2001 as the PS2's first year. An updated analysis is that this is the second month in a row where Wii is selling less than the PS2 in an equivalent time frame. The only other times in this chart that it has done so before were last December (corresponding to 2002-12 for the PS2), the June before it (to 2002-06 for PS2), then the January and December before that. Hah. Much less telling in that case. Ah well. :)

AniHawk said:
It's 2D Mario, so it's familiar to people who have played the game before (just try handing someone a modern controller and see if they can navigate a 3D world right off the bat), and it has multiplayer, so it's got the social aspect that makes the Wii's best sellers best sellers.

well it'll be interesting to see what happens nonetheless....we all obviously have our opinions on the matter.

szaromir

Banned
Jtyettis said:
They had pretty much the core franchises in the line up last year as well for the holiday quarter. Gears last year and another Halo this year. They are missing a Fable type game, but they will be pushing Forza no doubt it and likely will promote L4D2 as much as possible. Banjo certainly wasn't pushing anybody last year even if I loved the game. The $199 price point isn't going anywhere however and for moms and dads that will still be a hot ticket item for Christmas just like last year. That more than anything will push sales granted they do those hot holiday bundles.
It'll still be the cheapest current-gen console, so that's a huge advantage. Still, last year was the first Holiday season directly after the price cut. We'll see soon enough.

meme

Banned
d+pad said:
You think a 2D Mario game is going to sell less than a 3D Mario game? Really??

It's going to sell boatloads - certainly more than SMG (especially on a WW basis), IMO...

What was the last time a 2d Mario appeared in a console? Super Mario World? We don't have any parameter to say a 2d Mario can sell shitloads on a home console system.

thefro

Pretty much as expected... retail sales were pretty bad overall in July.

360 holds up well due to core gamers and Wii's impulse buys from casuals are probably way down.

Probably because nothing else came out, we get to see that Nintendo's evergreen titles are still trucking.

stupei

meme said:
What was the last time a 2d Mario appeared in a console? Super Mario World? We don't have any parameter to say a 2d Mario can sell shitloads on a home console system.

The success of 2D Mario on the DS must be ruled out... why exactly?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
GeoramA said:
Tell me about it, this summer has been dreadful. Thank god my backlog is huge...playing Saints Row 2 now, Red Faction next.

Extrapolating this out for actual retail releases the hardcore could really be getting 1 whole game all summer. I repeat 1 GAME ALL SUMMER, and that would be Batman. So unless your a football fan or bought WSR for mp fun and the mp+ it's been ridiculously boring on the retail front.

My god Sept. and the release of Halo ODST along with Aion can't get here fast enough. If we didn't have BF 1943 + the Summer of Arcade I might have forgotten I own a console or a handheld with no real reason to turn mine on game wise.

GameplayWhore said:

...and unless there's a major cock-up in my numbers, this month is the second in a row where the Wii is selling less than the PS2 in an equivalent time frame, since almost a year and a half ago. If anything, that's a reason to think that drastic measures may be required soon.

Granted, I think that NSMB could be acceptably drastic, but the next couple months may be pretty depressing for the N-fan. Dead Space: Extraction could help a little against the downslide, I guess, but I'd be pretty shocked if it did anything really substantial.
So the 10 months where it sold more don't count for anything?

FrankT

Karma said:
I am surprised by the PS3 numbers. They had a great bundle this month with MGS4 and Killzone 2.

Yea I saw some analyst with a 225 estimate IIRC. I thought that was way overboard though.

Stoney Mason said:
Some crazy guys on this board have this odd belief that the "incredible" PS3 lineup will power the PS3 this fall and the "weak" 360 software lineup will cause it to decline or be flat. I have no idea where this logic springs from. Every fall PS3 fanboys think they have a mega line-up and it almost never translates into actual blockbuster sales. Looking at this Fall I see nothing to change that.

Well I've gone back and forth on the SW side, but honestly it is looking pretty even atm. Had SCC stayed in the holiday window it would have been stronger imo. Still PS3 has some good SW lined up this fall between U2 and the rest.

szaromir said:
It'll still be the cheapest current-gen console, so that's a huge advantage. Still, last year was the first Holiday season directly after the price cut. We'll see soon enough.

Well of course it is getting a price cut on the higher end and depending on if they do a fire sale dependent on stock a $250 pro could be a very nice thing for sales as well. Time will tell though. I'm not so sure they are going to break any records for themselves like last year, but I'm certain they will do well if they push that value message with good bundles. Had they came off the arcade by $20 that would have helped even more (heck putting 20GB HDD in there would do wonders at that price).

stupei said:
That's the one music game that might buck the trend.

But you're right, the plastic instruments aren't going to move as well as the software, so anyone looking for a Höfner should be set.

... it does come with the Höfner, right?

I'm willing to bet it fails hard, both bundle and stand alone game.

I really fail to see people in my age and below giving a shit about the Beatles (25 and under). I'm not trying to troll Beatles fans, they are a great band but, I just don't see this crazy mass appeal the Beatles are going to have to the younger (and I use that term very broadly) audience that is still playing with toy instruments.

But hey, I could be wrong.

And hey 2.0, at least it will sell better than GH:Van Halen.

Karma said:
I am surprised by the PS3 numbers. They had a great bundle this month with MGS4 and Killzone 2.

this. i mean at this point the slim HAS to be $299 if sony wants a chance at all. the only way i see the slim being 299 is due to desparation and these year over year decreases are basically pushing it toward go all in or go home territory. sheesh.

Cruzader

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
As long as PS3 remains pricey, "AAA" or Fall PS3 titles wont move/push hardware.

meme

Banned
stupei said:
The success of 2D Mario on the DS must be ruled out... why exactly?

Because portables =/= consoles?
See MH3 Media Create threads for similar situation.
It will do well, but I don't think it will be a tide turner.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
pvpness said:
I'm betting NSMBWii is gonna be a fucking beast. It's gonna get weird.
I dunno, 4P concurrent multiplayer platform games are kind of an untested market, it's going to be quite an undertaking to make people of different skill levels not end up getting frustrated with one another. And I think either way there's going to be a lot of backlash from people going in expecting a single-player platformer and getting a pseudo-party game. I could easily see it becoming a Four Swords type of niche curio.

billy.sea

Banned
Ultimo hombre said:

This year alone we'll:

Band Hero
DJ Hero
Lego Rock Band

That's a lot of shit and the worst part is that none of these games are part of a platform (like RB1 to RB2) so you're stuck having to disc swap to play diff songs. The plastic toy sales model for Activision is coming to a crash. Harmonix isn't doing themselves any favors by going away from the platform philosophy with RB: Beatles and Lego rock band.

I guess these games don't need more than 4 people to work on them and cost less than $20,000 each to make nowadays. They probably came up with some kind of beat generator that can do all the work itself.

Jtyettis said:
Yea I saw some analyst with a 225 estimate IIRC. I thought that was way overboard though.

Yeah, I saw one too quoting 200k+...citing the best buy $399 mgs4/KZ2 bundle and the $449 amazon price drop on the 160 gb uncharted bundle

Somnid

Nintendo isn't dropping price nor do they need to. All you have to do is look a few spots down to see that NSMB and MKDS are still selling DSs. It's been how many years and people are still neglecting the Nintendo slow burn?

Seriously, the moment Nintendo gives into the FUD then they get sucked into the same downward spiral MS and Sony are in trying to desperately reconfigure and slash prices just to keep their head above water.

Cruzader said:
As long as PS3 remains pricey, "AAA" or Fall PS3 titles wont move/push hardware.

This fall the final shoe will drop. And "Wait for Price Drop" will be removed from the equation. Sales will pick up. We will see to what degree.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Notice that 2006 game in the Top 10 this month. What game is that again?

There are a lot of different arguments that I can make against comparing NSMB Wii and NSMB DS. I'd rather just see how it plays out in the end (much less exhaustive). If I'm wrong or right then that's how it is.

szaromir

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
Are you counting me as a PS3 fanboy? I don't think 360's lineup is weak by any accounts, it's just at this point there are no obvious system sellers. Of all the "huge" 360 games, ODST is an add-on to Halo 3, Gay Tony to GTA4, FM3 sequel to FM2, MW2 to COD4, AC2 to AC and so on, all of which already had at least one iteration on 360. Going forward this year, I think only Wii has a system seller in NSMB form (or perhaps Wii Sports Resort will get more momentum as well).

Road

GameplayWhore said:

Why 2001 for the PS2 start?

lolz

This was a pretty slow month overall for system hardware sales.

360 remains steady. Down 2,000 over last year and the sales are about 200,000. Not much to get excited about but they should be fortunate that they're not suffering from huge yoy drops or consistent yoy drops.

The Wii is dropping because supply hit demand a few months back. Wiis are everywhere on store shelves. Now that it is no longer the shit hot new toy, sales are lowering back down to normal. Sure, sales are down 300,000 from the previous year but sales were always going to drop back to normal. It has hit this point.

PS3...see me after class

AniHawk

Somnid said:
Nintendo isn't dropping price nor do they need to. All you have to do is look a few spots down to see that NSMB and MKDS are still selling DSs. It's been how many years and people are still neglecting the Nintendo slow burn?

Seriously, the moment Nintendo gives into the FUD then they get sucked into the same downward spiral MS and Sony are in trying to desperately reconfigure and slash prices just to keep their head above water.

I think this is the last year you'll see the Wii priced at $249.99. They don't need to drop the price, but people are obviously losing interest (in that it's not insanely or even PS2-levels of popular). A price drop doesn't always hurt, either. It has helped out Microsoft tremendously this year (although $300 is what the maximum for a system should have always been).

Stoney Mason said:
This fall the final shoe will drop. And "Wait for Price Drop" will be removed from the equation. Sales will pick up. We will see to what degree.

If the sales don't pick up, they'll just pick up the goal posts and move them as needed. Something along the lines of "it's doing great at $xxx! And wait until *these exclusvies* hit, then you'll see it take off." Same shit, different month man.

SilverLunar said:
For one thing a 2D Mario ALWAYS out-sells a 3D Mario, ALWAYS.

has 2d Mario ever been on a the same platform as 3D Mario?....just sayin'....

and for that fact.....has 2d mario ever been on a home console since the first 3d mario?

Again, it's all speculative

Struct09

Ultimo hombre said:

This year alone we'll:

Band Hero
DJ Hero
Lego Rock Band

You're at least partly wrong about none of the games being part of a "platform". GH5 will be able to import songs from GHWT and GHSHits, along with being able to play all the GHWT DLC.

Minsc

Gold Member
Touchdown said:
Down by 2000 is still down.:D

You're right, but technically it's only down according to NPD, the % difference falls outside of NPD's margin of error (afaik NPD is not accurate to within 1%), so it may not actually be down. /nitpick

Since they all use NPD for their press releases though and this is a NPD thread, I agree it's correct to say they're down, even though it's by such a tiny amount.

meme

Banned
amtentori said:
:(

ouch

was never going to do amazing, but it definitely came out at the wrong time....
a dead summer with decreasing wii sales.

will pick it up soon.

He's joking, didn't you read his tag?

Top Bottom