• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2009

Hy_ said:
Wii has been slowing down. Looks like we will get price cuts across the board for christmas. NPDs for the remainder of the year should be interesting.

I honestly doubt it.
At most, they'd bundle another/new game with it.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
At this point, there really isn't any reason for a developer other than Nintendo to support the Wii. Unless your making a exercise/sports title.

Or Resident Evil ...
Or Guitar Hero ...
Or Rockband ...
Or Lego games ...
Or Call of Duty ...

Barrett2

Snipes424 said:
It's not so much the games anymore as the price, $400 is still a lot of money to a lot of people and they simply cannot afford one.

I agree, but even that is a losing proposition for Sony at this point. Once they do drop to $299, it wouldn't surprise me to see MS release a $150 system bundled with a core game like Halo or Gears.

Zhuk

Banned
lawblob said:
Im' sorry, but the idea that there are millions of people sitting on their thumbs the last three years just waiting to until GOW3 and GT5 to come out is just ludicrous. One key reason Sony long ago lost this generation is because while it was sputtering out of the gate, all of those would-be buyers bought 360s instead. How many people are honestly waiting years and years to buy a system just because of GT5 or GOW3?

PS3chalkboard.png

stupei said:
The success of 2D Mario on the DS must be ruled out... why exactly?

Because they are completely different platforms with completely different libraries that sell in a completely different way?

Xeke

Banned
The best comparison for NSMBWii I think comes from Mario Kart DS -> Mario Kart Wii. There is no doubt that the success of the DS game boosted the Wii game.

operon

found this on tomshardware.com
EA Sports Staff Walks Off Thanks to Wii (FIrst few lines)
According to Develop Online, EA Sports' Peter Moore spoke during a keynote address at the Edinburgh Interactive conference held earlier today, blaming the casual gamer for the loss of many EA Sports staff members. More specifically, he pointed the finger at Nintendo's Wii console and the huge load of casual gamers tagging along.
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Nintendo-Wii-EA-Sports-Game,news-4439.html

Cheez-It

MikeE21286 is clearly trolling.

Or incredibly stupid.

Or incredibly ignorant.

.... Okay. There are many reasons he could hold that opinion. None of them are good.

operon said:
According to Develop Online, EA Sports' Peter Moore spoke during a keynote address at the Edinburgh Interactive conference held earlier today, blaming the casual gamer for the loss of many EA Sports staff members. More specifically, he pointed the finger at Nintendo's Wii console and the huge load of casual gamers tagging along.

So, wait...
What?

"[They] couldn't take the change of pace," he added. "It was hard. A lot of people at that time thought they would move on from our studios--they wanted to chase the core consumer."

Oh, so they left because they couldn't handle change.
Yeah, that seems right. The industry is so unwilling to change, and it's dying because of it.
=/

Wow, 360 only 50K behind the Wii. Holy shit.

Wii definitely droping off (although still selling well?)

Hopefully PS3 doesn't drop below 100K in August.

So the 360 is STILL bucking the trend of YoY declines? Nice.

The Wii has really fallen. The 360 will be outselling it soon. Great debut for WSR, also great to see FNR4 sticking around. It is such a great game.

boiled goose

good with gravy
MikeE21286 said:
Don't N64 games cost twice as much as NES games on Virtual console? $5 vs. $10? Why would you make that comparison.

fair enough, but just in case:

august 5 rankings for vc sales: from nintendo channel

VC

1 (1) – Super Mario Bros. 3
2 (2) – Super Mario Bros.
3 (3) – Super Mario World

4 (4) – The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask
5 (5) – Super Mario Bros. 2
6 (7) – Super Mario 64
7 (6) – Punch-Out!!
8 (10) – The Legend of Zelda
9 (8) – Mario Kart 64
10 (9) – The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
11 (11) – Pac-Man
12 (12) – Donkey Kong Country
13 (13) – Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
14 (14) – Paper Mario
15 (15) – Donkey Kong
16 (16) – Sonic the Hedgehog 2
17 (17) – The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
18 (18) – Galaga
19 (19) – California Games
20 (20) – Excitebike

all of the main 2d ones are above 64. even 2.
we dont know actual numbers but you can see 2d ones are more popular. 2d mario is leagues more accessible than 3d mario.

Cheez-It said:
MikeE21286 is clearly trolling.

Or incredibly stupid.

Or incredibly ignorant.

.... Okay. There are many reasons he could hold that opinion. None of them are good.

Dude, I'm entitled to my opinion, no need to get personal......and I'm not trolling or otherwise.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
All multiplatform titles.

Third party Wii exclusives just don't sell like they should.

Yeah cuz there have been so many great ones.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:

Examples of third party Wii exclusives that didn't sell as well on the Wii as they would on another console?

Karma said:
I am surprised by the PS3 numbers. They had a great bundle this month with MGS4 and Killzone 2.
Walmart also had a 399 MLB '09 and QoS blu-ray bundle, and I'm sure they move a boatload of consoles (even though their sales are only estimated by NPD IIRC)
As many had mentioned-major price drop needed asap or time to go home.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Rated-Rsuperstar said:

hmmm... there must be something intrinsic about their exclusivity that makes them less appealing to the wii audience.

we should research this.

legend166

operon said:
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Nintendo-Wii-EA-Sports-Game,news-4439.html

Haha, what? That makes no sense. Tiger Woods is selling better on Wii than it has on any other platform.

Tiktaalik

I'm interested in how well Conduit did and how well Punch-Out did.

There have been comments by various 3rd party developers wondering if the Wii was to some just a new age board game sitting in a closet, but I think the continued success of EA's Fitness title shows that expanded audience Wii owners aren't just throwing the thing in the closet when they're done with Wii Sports. They're buying more games, and non-Nintendo games too. Either that or there's at least an interested fitness subsegment of the market. It'll be interesting to see how Ubisoft's upcoming fitness game does.

szaromir

Banned
clashfan said:
How was Obama going to save the PS3?
Long story.:lol

I wonder what are the chances for FM3 to steal some of Gran Turismo's audience. The game looks truely beautiful this time around and should be much easier to make great first impression, but how Microsoft is going to adress GT fans? "This is the GT5 you've been so tired waiting for"?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
amtentori said:
what about sales of 2d mario games and 3d mario games on the wii virtual console?

which do you think are more popular?

mario 64 vrs 2d marios.

since mario 64 is newer and has been rereleased less, maybe it should be selling more?
Yeah, and how are the 4P local multiplayer Mario platformers doing?

NSMBWii's appeal can't necessarily be lumped right in with the other 2D Marios. Its a party platformer and it's a very real possibility that people won't like that. Unless there's some genius variable difficulty trickery giving each player a tailored difficulty, it's probably going to hit a shaky middle ground where either new players are intimidated, veteran players feel coddled, or some combination of both. It's not the known quantity you let on.

clashfan said:
How was Obama going to save the PS3?

President Obama: Now I understand everyone's shit's emotional right now. But I've got a 3 point plan that's going to fix EVERYTHING.
Congressman #1: Break it down, Obama!
President Obama: Number 1: We've got this guy Not Sure. Number 2: He's got a higher IQ than ANY MAN ALIVE. and Number 3: He's going to fix EVERYTHING.

Top Bottom