• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2009

Road

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Notice that 2006 game in the Top 10 this month. What game is that again?
Do you think the DS is selling over 500k because NSMB is in the top 10 or is NSMB in the top 10 because the DS is selling over 500k?

Shurs said:
The average price of a PS3 isn't $399.
If you're going to talk about the average price of a system with how well a company is doing, wouldn't you compare the price relative to the manufacturing costs?

Road said:
Do you think the DS is selling over 500k because NSMB is in the top 10 or is NSMB in the top 10 because the DS is selling over 500k?

The latter.

But my point is that 2D Mario games are still very popular.

szaromir said:
Are you counting me as a PS3 fanboy? I don't think 360's lineup is weak by any accounts, it's just at this point there are no obvious system sellers. Of all the "huge" 360 games, ODST is an add-on to Halo 3, Gay Tony to GTA4, FM3 sequel to FM2, MW2 to COD4, AC2 to AC and so on, all of which already had at least one iteration. Going forward this year, I think only Wii has a system seller in NSMB form (or perhaps Wii Sports Resort will get more momentum as well).

I wasn't aiming my post at you specifically but at a general sentiment I've seen from some on the board that the PS3 software lineup this fall will be gangbusters. From a consumer perspective Halo ODST is a much bigger system seller than anything Sony has this fall unless GT 5 somehow makes the fall which seems unlikely. The PS3 killer app this fall is Price Drop and a nice lineup of titles that appeal to the hardcore but nothing that crosses over to the mainstream very much.

boiled goose

good with gravy
MikeE21286 said:
has 2d Mario ever been on a the same platform as 3D Mario?....just sayin'....

and for that fact.....has 2d mario ever been on a home console since the first 3d mario?

Again, it's all speculative

ds

new super mario brothers
mario brothers 64 DS.

guess which one sold better?

TheKingsCrown said:
So the 10 months where it sold more don't count for anything?

Nope. Nintendo am doomed! :O

But seriously, I'm treating it a bit symbolically. The Wii's mission has been to expand the audience beyond what it was the previous generation (as was pretty much the mission of the two Playstations , the NES and the 2600). Any time that it sells less than the previous industry leader, it feels (subjectively) that it's losing steam. It's another way to look at the change of momentum, also evidenced by the comments people have been making about the Wii no longer selling greater than the combined competition. I'm not suggesting that the company go fourth party, but it's an interesting data point.

I wonder if instead of doing a price drop, Nintendo is considering a revamped Wii? No, not WiiHD. Nothing that requires a software change.

But you know. Change the look, maybe add in more flash memory. Change around the dashboard. Make it like the DS Lite is to the DS, or the PS3 Slim is to the PS3.

That way they can increase sales without having to drop the price.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Shurs said:
Anyone else kind of bored with NPD's the last few months?

It's hard when even most hardcore games can only name to mass market retail releases in all of July those being Wii Sports Resort and NCAA. That alone makes NPDs for July zzzzz.

Ultimo hombre said:
Climate plus absolute rape of the genre. It's not just the climate.

This year alone we'll:

GH: M
GH: Smash hits
Band Hero
DJ Hero
GH: 5
GH: Van Halen
Rock Band: Beatles
Lego Rock Band

That's a lot of shit and the worst part is that none of these games are part of a platform (like RB1 to RB2) so you're stuck having to disc swap to play diff songs. The plastic toy sales model for Activision is coming to a crash. Harmonix isn't doing themselves any favors by going away from the platform philosophy with RB: Beatles and Lego rock band.

Beatles will be big success. Van Halen will do OK. The rest look pretty weak. Smash hits bombed. Definite saturation going on here.

Struct09 said:
You're at least partly wrong about none of the games being part of a "platform". GH5 will be able to import songs from GHWT and GHSHits, along with being able to play all the GHWT DLC.

See, I like the genre and I didn't even know that! Activision should really be finding a way to promote this. Maybe they will?

meme

Banned
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
At this point, there really isn't any reason for a developer other than Nintendo to support the Wii. Unless your making a exercise/sports title.

Now look what you've done Anihawk.

Shurs

Unidentified said:
If you're going to talk about the average price of a system with how well a company is doing, wouldn't you compare the price relative to the manufacturing costs?

Why the fuck would we do that? We were talking about price point relative to sales. What you're proposing is a completely different conversation.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
So judging by Wii hardware numbers we can assume that WSR wasn't exactly a system seller that some thought it would be?

boiled goose

good with gravy
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
At this point, there really isn't any reason for a developer other than Nintendo to support the Wii. Unless your making a exercise/sports title.

LKS would have sure made a splash on any other console.
even ign wii team, the only wii hype machine in the media, did nothing for it.

conduit madworld hodo and probably even manhunt 2 outsold it. maybe thats a sign ultra violent games are the way to go???

amtentori said:
ds

new super mario brothers
mario brothers 64 DS.

guess which one sold better?

well wasn't one a new game and one was a remake of an 8-year old game.....I guess you caught me within my own "trap"....but still, obviously not a straight apples-to-apples comparison

Stoney Mason said:
I wasn't aiming my post at you specifically but at a general sentiment I've seen from some on the board that the PS3 software lineup this fall will be gangbusters. From a consumer perspective Halo ODST is a much bigger system seller than anything Sony has this fall unless GT 5 somehow makes the fall which seems unlikely. The PS3 killer app this fall is Price Drop and a nice lineup of titles that appeal to the hardcore but nothing that crosses over to the mainstream very much.

There is GT5, if it really happens.
I'm kind of curious to see mainstream marketing will ramp up for ODST, God of War & Modern Warfare.

AniHawk

Rated-Rsuperstar said:

Yeah, it would've done so much better on the Xbox 360 where these games thrive.

...But seriously, it probably would've done better as a DS game.

Barrett2

skyfinch said:
Sony owns 2010. If not, then 2011. Quote me on this.

Im' sorry, but the idea that there are millions of people sitting on their thumbs the last three years just waiting to until GOW3 and GT5 to come out is just ludicrous. One key reason Sony long ago lost this generation is because while it was sputtering out of the gate, all of those would-be buyers bought 360s instead. How many people are honestly waiting years and years to buy a system just because of GT5 or GOW3?

meme

Banned
user_nat said:
So judging by Wii hardware numbers we can assume that WSR wasn't exactly a system seller that some thought it would be?

I'd wait till jump to conclusions based on a 1 week sales period if I were you.

boiled goose

good with gravy
speculawyer said:
Beatles will be big success. Van Halen will do OK. The rest look pretty weak. Smash hits bombed. Definite saturation going on here.

van halen is already being bundled for free with a purchase of GH5.

even activision knows it will bomb bad.

user_nat said:

Sequel to game on the same system doesn't sell system. More of this shocking development at 11.

operon

http://www.vg247.com/ has sonys pr on the numbers...

Sony’s responded to tonight’s NPD figures by saying PS3 is “just getting warmed up” and pointing out differences between its console, 360 Arcade and Wii.
“When you compare all the features against other industry offerings, there is no doubt that the PlayStation 3 provides the most complete entertainment system on the market today – right out of the box,” said the firm in a statement.
“Not only are consumers provided a best-in-class Blu-ray player that comes with 80 GB of storage for photos and music, built-in Wi Fi, and thousands of innovative games that appeal to hardcore gamers and families alike, the PS3 offers future-proof technology and free access to rich and ever-evolving PlayStation Network content and services.”
A handy chart was provided to point all this out.

Strange no mention of numbers

Shurs

user_nat said:

I believe that Wii Sports Resort will have a greater effect on console sales as the months roll on and more non-Wii owners play it with their WSR owning friends.

operon said:

Sony’s responded to tonight’s NPD figures by saying PS3 is “just getting warmed up” and pointing out differences between its console, 360 Arcade and Wii.
“When you compare all the features against other industry offerings, there is no doubt that the PlayStation 3 provides the most complete entertainment system on the market today – right out of the box,” said the firm in a statement.
“Not only are consumers provided a best-in-class Blu-ray player that comes with 80 GB of storage for photos and music, built-in Wi Fi, and thousands of innovative games that appeal to hardcore gamers and families alike, the PS3 offers future-proof technology and free access to rich and ever-evolving PlayStation Network content and services.”

Fuck yeah! List wars that shit Sony. To be fair, they really don't have anything to say. Also, this might be the longest warm up in history for absolutely anything.

boiled goose

good with gravy
MikeE21286 said:
well wasn't one a new game and one was a remake of an 8-year old game.....I guess you caught me within my own "trap"....but still, obviously not a straight apples-to-apples comparison

what about sales of 2d mario games and 3d mario games on the wii virtual console?

which do you think are more popular?

mario 64 vrs 2d marios.

since mario 64 is newer and has been rereleased less, maybe it should be selling more?

Snipes424

lawblob said:
Im' sorry, but the idea that there are millions of people sitting on their thumbs the last three years just waiting to until GOW3 and GT5 to come out is just ludicrous. One key reason Sony long ago lost this generation is because while it was sputtering out of the gate, all of those would-be buyers bought 360s instead. How many people are honestly waiting years and years to buy a system just because of GT5 or GOW3?

It's not so much the games anymore as the price, $400 is still a lot of money to a lot of people and they simply cannot afford one.

FrankT

operon said:

They brought the wonderful ham sandwich chart back? Awesome.

Scratch that. Delicious Ham Sandwich.

Shurs

lawblob said:

Maybe if their system breaks down and a PS3 is inexpensive, they'll pick one up.

Averon

lawblob said:

I think he was being sarcastic.

Zhuk

Banned
This is the slowest time of the year so nobody is really selling that many consoles at this time of year, but it is interesting to see the PS3 continue to sell poorly in the marketplace, with a 45% YoY decline which seems like it will continue at the very least until some sort of action is taken with the price and an introduction of a 'slim' console.

I still don't see Sony meeting that 13 million console goal this year, especially in a retail environment which seems to be depressed due to the recession.

AniHawk said:
Yeah, it would've done so much better on the Xbox 360 where these games thrive.

...But seriously, it probably would've done better as a DS game.

Sales wise, maybe.
Would have been a worse overall game, though.

RyuKanSan

Man I really hope the Wii can pick up steam soon. I thought WSR would've increased momentum. Maybe they should start some commercials just for the Wii system again and showcaseing some of the software like they do with the DSi

amtentori said:
what about sales of 2d mario games and 3d mario games on the wii virtual console?

which do you think are more popular?

mario 64 vrs 2d marios.

since mario 64 is newer and has been rereleased less, maybe it should be selling more?

Don't N64 games cost twice as much as NES games on Virtual console? $5 vs. $10? Why would you make that comparison.

Road said:
Why 2001 for the PS2 start?

Yep, that's the cock-up that I knew was there but couldn't find.

I probably found data starting 2001 when I started doing this but couldn't find NPD recards earlier than that. I'll have to redo this once I can find the data.

And now I get to feel incredibly Junior in front of thousands of people, lol

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
MikeE21286 said:
Don't NES games cost twice as much as N64 games on Virtual console? $5 vs. $10? Why would you make that comparison.
Actually it's the other way around, but I assume that's what you meant to type.

Hy_

Wii has been slowing down. Looks like we will get price cuts across the board for christmas. NPDs for the remainder of the year should be interesting.

Top Bottom