• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2009

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Cant0na said:
this npd thread is boring.......some one post some gifs and meltdowns
That won't happen until the PS2 outsells the PS3, the 360 outsells the Wii, or the PS3 outsells the 360 or Wii.

boiled goose

good with gravy
donny2112 said:
Astute observation. Tiger Woods + EA Sports Active = great for EA Sports. :)

Developers taking wii seriously and developing quality games no matter the genre = win

glad to see effort paying off for EA. congratulations moore

[Nintex]

Go Peter!
w1borc.gif

Well even thought the Conduit didn't chart, the good news is that #10 nearly sold 200K. The Conduit could have easily sold 150K and we won't know it. some months 150K will get you in the middle of the top 10. LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE PEOPLE!!!

dumbass_

Banned
4t84m8g.gif

I still love my ps3 though couldn't care less if they lose money on it as long as i enjoy it :D

Wii fit still selling? are they giving the game for free or what
2uyltht.gif

Angelus said:
Is it really though?

Wow i thought my account was hacked :lol

EviLore said:
EA SPORTS ACTIVE BUNDLE (Wii) 289.1K
TIGER WOODS PGA TOUR 10* (Wii) 272.4K
FIGHT NIGHT ROUND 4 (360) 260.8K
FIGHT NIGHT ROUND 4 (PS3) 210.3K
After a dry spell, EA has sure got its groove back. Add Sims3 sales to the above and they are rocking.

NCAA 2010 and Madden 2010 are right around the corner too.

NeoUltima

PSP ruined my hardware predictions :(
Sold 25.1k per week in May
In June it shot up to 32.7k per week

I figured Go announcement would hurt sales, not make them higher.

jibblypop said:
What the hell? I've seriously never even heard of this game and it's the number 1 seller of the month?!

I guess I haven't been following video game news as closely as I used to :(

Yeah I didn't realize what they were talking about either until my friend next to me wrote the name in brackets. It was a Davinci Code moment for me.

Well, jokes aside. I'm surprised by the drop the ps2 has had. The price drop only boosted sales for a month at most and now it's sinking like the price went back up!

Mithos

Gold Member
donny2112 said:
Astute observation. Tiger Woods + EA Sports Active = great for EA Sports. :)

EA even got me to pick up Tiger Woods PGA 2010 for Wii (I hate sports games), last game I owned was Track & Field II on the NES (did I say I really hate sportsgames?).

So great work on this game EA.

boiled goose

good with gravy
perfectchaos007 said:
Well even thought the Conduit didn't chart, the good news is that #10 nearly sold 200K. The Conduit could have easily sold 150K and we won't know it. some months 150K will get you in the middle of the top 10. LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE PEOPLE!!!

we can say this one we know conduit sold 150k

it could be way below 100k for all we know.

lets wait for actual numbers!

Sadist

perfectchaos007 said:
Question is, do you believe it yourself?

iceatcs

NeoUltima said:

Or other way, people holding for E3 and realise that it isn't worth and better off to buy PSP-3000. Also summer coming up, ideal for portable.

AniHawk

lawblob said:
Agreed.

Open world + get your ass to Mahs + beating buildings to death with a sledgehammer. What about this does not sound fuck-awesome?

A colorless, violent game on the PS360? How could it possibly get lost on that userbase?

laserbeam

Banned
Poor Wii :( Only Managed to sell roughly 72k a week for June :/ Game Over Man!

Interestingly enough It seems the Wii may be settling in at about 72k a week. Last Month was that and so is this month

_Angelus_

Banned
AniHawk said:
You're sad because of the Conduit's failure? You? The Conduit?

I know I've never been much of a Nintendo fan but still I have my limits as is.
Me being a former Sega fanboy + their support of the Wii is always an eye catcher for me.

amtentori said:
CODWAW did not sell > 1m ww
REUC did not sell >1m ww
RE4 wii did not sell > 1m ww
Guitar Hero WT is not the best selling version
Tiger woods is aimed at women and children under 13
no more heroes on the wii is not the best selling suda game
cod 3 and red steel were not launch titles that have now sold >1m ww

or are any of these nintendo games???

I see what you're saying, but for a system that's basically the best-selling console of all time at this point in its lifecycle, is this a limited third party success story? We're basically looking at Resident Evil, Call of Duty, Guitar Hero, and Tiger Woods as being the crowning sales achievements.

I'm not saying whether this is bad or good, just posing the question. How, for example, does the Wii's 3rd party success compare with that of the PS2 at a similar point in the console life cycle (the PS2 obviously was a similar juggernaut)?

Banned
Blu_LED said:
Thank the lord that inFamous PS3 outsold PS3 Prototype. The general populous is not as stupid as they seem.

Have all these people even played the fucking game? I dont think so.

AniHawk

professor_t said:
I see what you're saying, but for a system that's basically the best-selling console of all time at this point in its lifecycle, is this a limited third party success story? We're basically looking at Resident Evil, Call of Duty, Guitar Hero, and Tiger Woods as being the crowning sales achievements.

I'm not saying whether this is bad or good, just posing the question. How, for example, does the Wii's 3rd party success compare with that of the PS2 at a similar point in the console life cycle (the PS2 obviously was a similar juggernaut)?

Well the PS2 was getting solid efforts from all around too. The Wii's only starting to see that sorta thing in its third year on the market. Of course, the PS2 never had certain games sell the best there either. Sonic and Super Monkey Ball did really well on the Gamecube, and Tom Clancy did really well on the Xbox, but it would always get some port of multiplatform games (even if it took a little while, like in the case of Super Monkey Ball).

The Wii was initially thought to be an instant-failure, and later on, a fluke or a fad. It didn't get a whole lot of support to speak of in the first place. So when you see the limited third party success on the Wii in the form of RE, Call of Duty, whatever, it's pretty much the best effort put forward by each one.

Sega's the first one to outright fail three releases in a row though. So it's probably too late to start a fanbase around the type of games that are on the 360 now.

Cant0na

Banned
AniHawk said:
A colorless, violent game on the PS360? How could it possibly get lost on that userbase?

lol

you hit masked dudes with a bird hammer and they go flying off as buildings fall on you................damn, i still have nightmares from the violence from red faction

Barrett2

AniHawk said:

Sledgehammering buildings should have been a feature on the front of the box.... and the side, and the back...

Sadist

professor_t said:

Let me ask you this: which big third party title(s) should have gotten a lot of sales on Wii?

laserbeam

Banned
professor_t said:

Its not even remotely fair to try and compare support of the Wii to the PS2.

The PS2 came off the back of Generation Winner PS1. The Wii came off the back of 3rd place loser Gamecube.

PS2 was destined to get killer support just because of the PS1. Thats why so many early on bet the house on the PS3 because of the PS2. The Wii outside of a few exceptions has recieved no major AAA title support

professor_t said:

The Wii certainly wasn't a PS2-esque juggernaut in terms of getting 3rd party games announced for it. To what degree each of the involved parties should take the blame has been argued before, but the end result is that you can't sell what doesn't exist*.

*Contrary to the apparent beliefs of most marketing staff

Karma said:
Have all these people even played the fucking game? I dont think so.

It's being compared with a ps3 exclusive, you know what that entails. Hundreds of negative slag offs by lots of dudes with lbp avatars.

donny2112

professor_t said:
How, for example, does the Wii's 3rd party success compare with that of the PS2 at a similar point in the console life cycle (the PS2 obviously was a similar juggernaut)?

How, for example, does the Wii's 3rd party support compare with that of the PS2 at a similar point in the console life cycle?

There you go. :p

Real Answer:
Comparing PS2 to anything in terms of third-party sales is asking for that "anything" to look horribly bad. In aggregate, Wii third-party > 360 third-party in the U.S. last year for a current gen comparison. It certainly hasn't helped that most third-parties are intentionally keeping their biggest games off of the Wii, and the Wii is helped by the vast number of third-party games released for it.

lawblob said:
Agreed.

Open world + get your ass to Mahs + beating buildings to death with a sledgehammer. What about this does not sound fuck-awesome?

I'll venture some guesses.

Emphasizing the sledgehammer in marketing materials and videos probably wasn't a great idea (although it obviously makes sense in the context of the game) as people are use to seeing guns from this sort of title.

Graphically it's really average. Which doesn't excite or galvanize the graphics hounds which is a disproportionate amount of the hardcore base.

Essentially a complete new IP with all the sales challenges that brings that doesn't get any real sales benefit from the first two titles.

Just off the top of my head. Give me 10 mintues and I'm sure I could come up with more. Note this comes from someone who quite likes the game.

bhhawks78

Banned
elrechazao said:
It's being compared with a ps3 exclusive, you know what that entails. Hundreds of negative slag offs by lots of dudes with lbp avatars.

QFT the SDF is ruthless, must defend and coddle ps3 exclusives even if 2 better games from the same genre release on the ps3...flame them! How dare they be multiplat!

spwolf

NeoUltima said:

as if general public knows about the Go! :).

New bundles certainly make PSP 3000 more attractive...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Blu_LED said:
Thank the lord that inFamous PS3 outsold PS3 Prototype. The general populous is not as stupid as they seem.

INFAMOUS (PS3) 192.7K
PROTOTYPE (PS3) 179.1K

Still pretty close. The PS3 Red Faction bomba shows the general populous IS stupid, however.

Either way, glad the 360 version of prototype and red faction did well(well, RF should still have done more).

jvm said:
Did that IGN story being linked here change? Doesn't show what I'm seeing quoted.

I was going to post the same thing. IGN changed it to be indiviual console versions. Anyone have a screen grab of the real and unaltered IGN article?

Leondexter said:
IGN has a combined platform top 10 list:

Top 10 Total Software Sales (combined platforms):

1.Prototype - 599,073

2.UFC 2009 Undisputed - 526,173

3.Fight Night Round 4 - 471,152

4.Fit W/ Balance Board - 271,556

5.Ghostbusters: The Video Game - 440,089

6.Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 - 325,128

7.EA Sports Active Bundle - 289,083

8.Red Faction: Guerrilla - 266,866

9.Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen - 296,043

10.Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 Motion Plus Bundle - 204,899

http://wii.ign.com/articles/100/1004683p1.html

edit: beaten, I missed a few pages. Oh well, for late-comers who also miss those pages

They changed it and broke them up for some reason.

Blu_LED said:

Ashour said:
Prototype at number one. eww

elrechazao said:
but reviews

:lol

Are you guys really that butt hurt over Prototype outselling Infamous? You act like it's a much better game or something.. This isn't MLB2k vs. MLB the Show type deal here.

Mithos

Gold Member
laserbeam said:
The Wii outside of a few exceptions has recieved no major AAA title support

And this is why games even if given proper treatment do not sell as well as games on PS360. They are out to late, they should have been there day 1 about ~3 years ago with the proper treatment games/project.

Sadist

mujun said:
It's CHRP718, his loyalties are pretty obvious so there's no "Oh boy..." about it ;)
If you say so. I just found those statements outrageous :p

PR E-MAIL Nintendo

In the United States in June, the Nintendo DS™ and Nintendo DSi™ systems combined to sell more than 766,000 units, more than all current-generation consoles combined, according to the NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the United States. U.S. consumers purchased more than 424,000 Nintendo DSi systems and more than 342,000 Nintendo DS systems in June.

Wii™ marked its 21st consecutive month as the top-selling U.S. home console, with nearly 362,000 sold. Consumers also snapped up nearly 374,000 Wii MotionPlus™ accessories, including nearly 205,000 packaged with Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 from Electronic Arts and 169,000 additional accessories sold on their own. The Wii Sports Resort™ game launches July 26 and comes packaged with Wii MotionPlus.

“More consumers continued to gravitate toward products that offer quality experiences and great value for the whole family,” said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “Consumers again selected Nintendo systems for those experiences, particularly our hand-helds.”

Four games published for Nintendo platforms finished in the top 10 best-sellers of June in the United States. These include EA Sports Active at No. 3 with more than 289,000 sold, Wii Fit™ at No. 4 with more than 271,000 sold, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 with Wii MotionPlus at No. 7 with nearly 205,000 sold and Mario Kart™ Wii at No. 8 with more than 202,000 sold.

Almost 400k Wii Motion Plus sold.

Barrett2

Stoney Mason said:
I'll venture some guesses.

Emphasizing the sledgehammer in marketing materials and videos probably wasn't a great idea (although it obviously makes sense in the context of the game) as people are use to seeing guns from this sort of title.

Graphically it's really average. Which doesn't excite or galvanize the graphics hounds which is a disproportionate amount of the hardcore base.

Maybe they should have played up a Sci-fi angle with the game or something. The name is pretty bad, too.

MWS Natural said:
Are you guys really that butt hurt over Prototype outselling Infamous? You act like it's a much better game or something.. This isn't MLB2k vs. MLB the Show type deal here.

I was being sarcastic since that apparently didn't come through....

Top Bottom