• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2009

Banned
Blu_LED said:
It isn't as drastic as MLB2k9 vs The Show, but IMO inFamous is so much better of a game then Prototype. It is borderline disgusting that Prototype outsold it.

Why did we never see you in the Official thread?

iceatcs

Kill PS3, damn it just DIE.
f10a7daf32f203cc071afbd68d017f71.gif

JoJo13

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
It's confirmed. Prototype 2% worse than feared...

Again, not like it matters.

It is all of 6% points of difference, but some would argue that in this industry that divide is pretty large when so many games are concentrated around 80+% and above scores.

It's roughly the same difference as, say, Resistance 2's metacritic and Halo 3 or Gears of War 1/2. And, IMHO, there's a pretty large gap in quality between those titles.

I don't think there's really any denying the fact that InFamous seemed to be received better, critically.

Karma said:
Why did we never see you in the Official thread?
Played the majority of the game on a friends 360 over a course of like 2 days, hated it, didn't feel that I needed to go into the official thread to complain about how much I hated it.

Kifimbo

Johann said:
I thought Acti-Blizzard was crazy when they announced they would stop publishing a bunch of games a year ago. Riddick, 50 Cent, and, most recently, Ghost Busters haven't performed as well as I would have thought given the past popularity of those games. I guess it's down to Brutal Legend to break the trend... hopefully.

Activision wants Brutal Legend back (kinda), so it has a chance.

Paznos

Sony could drop the price of the PS3 and people still would get the 360 versions because of Achievements and Live and the perception that the 360 version is better.

AniHawk

PS2 23,682,000 (44-month mark) (May 2004)
PS2 17,650,000 (32-month mark) (May 2003)

Xbox - 9,161,402 (32-month mark) (June 2004)
Xbox - 12,370,000 (44-month mark) (June 2005)

GCN - 7,583,241 (32-month mark) (June 2004)
GCN - 11,072,000 (44-month mark) (June 2005)

360 15,480,886 (44 months) (June 2009)
360 10,544,000 (32 months) (June 2008)

PS3 7,914,096 (32 months) (June 2009)

Wii 20,565,281 (32 months) (June 2009)

Blu_LED said:
Played the majority of the game on a friends 360 over a course of like 2 days, hated it, didn't feel that I needed to go into the official thread to complain about how much I hated it.

Careful, people are going to start asking for a gamertag.

Man this npd thread is boring. Why did people decide to argue about the least inflammatory point. There better be some infamous related meltdowns at the end of this.

Edit: Why did i write most? It totally destroyed my point. Oh and i guess now i am going to get Freudian slip comments throw in my face from anyone that would care enough to.

JoJo13 said:
Again, not like it matters.

It is all of 6% points of difference, but some would argue that in this industry that divide is pretty large when so many games are concentrated around 80+% and above scores.

It's roughly the same difference as, say, Resistance 2's metacritic and Halo 3 or Gears of War 1/2. And, IMHO, there's a pretty large gap in quality between those titles.

I don't think there's really any denying the fact that InFamous seemed to be received better, critically.

Personally I don't really care. It's a moot point anyway because sometimes on GAF review scores matter and sometimes they don't depending on who you are arguing with and what point they are trying to prove at the moment.

http://kotaku.com/5316491/npd-instant-analysis-things-you-should-note

NPD Instant Analysis: Things You Should Note
By Stephen Totilo

EA finally gets the Wii, and not in a way that will excite hardcore gamers. Ghostbusters goes missing. PSP jumps. And more observations you can use at cocktail parties from today's June NPDs.

(Check out our software and hardware reports for June here... then read this analysis and add yours.)

EA Nails The Wii, Thanks To Moms And Dads: EA has two Wii games placed powerfully in the top five best-selling games of June, a feat that I don't think any third-party publisher has accomplished since the Wii launched. And how did EA do it? Not with a game for teenage boys. Not with a first-person shooter. Not with an M-rated gorefest. But with EA Sports Active, a fitness game targeted at grown women, many of them likely to be moms. And they did it with Tiger Woods PGA 10, the definitive sports game for dads. That's the Wii audience for EA... all grown up!

Tiger Pulls A Guitar Hero: Also notable about the performance of Tiger Woods on the Wii is that the game charted for the Wii but not for any other platform. While Maddens and Call of Dutys are still series whose PS3/ Xbox360 versions handily outperform the Wii editions, Tiger performed more like a Guitar Hero game. The Guitar Heroes have been selling better on the Wii than on any other platform. That speaks to who has a Wii. It is also a likely a byproduct of the Wii Remote (with MotionPlus) being so well-associated by EA and gamers with the swing of a golf club. What's the next franchise that will see Wii out in front?

Open Worlds Are Big — But Do People Think Of Them As Open Worlds?: It looked like Prototype, Infamous and Red Faction Guerilla, three open-world games released within weeks of each other, would cannibalize each other's sales. Maybe they did. Maybe they didn't. But none appears to have flopped, as versions of all three made the top 10. People like open-world an consume a lot of them, despite those games being among the longest games out there. Could the allure be that they give so much bang for their buck? Or is their open-worldness something most consumers don't notice? A genre connection that's invisible to those buying based on commercials and boxart?

Blasts From Pasts: Among the top 10 posts of June are only five games released in the new 35-day reporting period. That's the way it works these days: lots of games linger. This month's lingerers are the consistent strong sellers Mario Kart Wii, Wii Fit along with recent stars Infamous, UFC and EA Sports Active.

Notable new releases that failed to make the overall software top 10 (With no console or handheld version selling under 192,700 units in the U.S. by July 4): Rock Band Unplugged (June 9), Ghostbusters: The Video Game (June 16), Let's Tap (June 16), Guitar Hero Smash Hits (June 16), Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP), Overlord II (June 23), The Conduit (June 23), Transformers Revenge of The Fallen (June 23), BlazBlue (June 30), Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (June 30), Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood (June 30)

June 2009 U.S. Video Game Hardware Sales - NPD-PD version
Daily averages based on the June NPD date range: 5/31/09-7/04/09

Nintendo DS - 21,900 units/day (down 725)
Wii - 10,334 units/day (down 5)
Xbox 360 - 6,874 units/day (up 624)
PS3 - 4,706 units/day (up 27)
PSP - 4,671 units/day (down 1,085)
PS2 - 4,363 units/day (up 184)

Kittonwy said:
You just proved both the reviews and the masses agreed with him, move along.
Indifferent2.gif

My post specifically responding to those inferring that inFamous was a much better game than Prototype and the masses spoke with their dollars since Prototype outsold inFamous. Wait...why the hell am I responding to a damn kitten, don't you have an Uncharted thread to post in somewhere? :lol

Paznos said:
Sony could drop the price of the PS3 and people still would get the 360 versions because of Achievements and Live and the perception that the 360 version is better.

Sure, but lowering the price (and I mean significantly lowering the price) will expand the user base and increase sales on every single game that comes out for it. It's that simple.
And right now user base size is a bigger issue than competing with NXE or whatever. The PS3 needs to stop competing with itself before it can compete with anything else.

bhhawks78 said:
QFT the SDF is ruthless, must defend and coddle ps3 exclusives even if 2 better games from the same genre release on the ps3...flame them! How dare they be multiplat!

Sony has created a whole gen of monsters. One of them tried to swallow my soul after I gave a very mild complaint about a certain PS game not too long ago. Absolutely frightening. Someone should make a documentary of the fall of PS fanboys. One could only imagine what their reactions would be if Sony went third party like Sega...

bhhawks78

Banned
Paznos said:

Well to be fair most cross platform games have looked better on 360 which really bugs me to be honest as a 3 console owner.

That along with preferred online + much preferred controller means multiplats never sniff my ps3.

Kittonwy said:
You make it sound like people defending better games is a bad thing.
Indifferent2.gif

I can't comment on a quality comparison. I didn't play Infamous. But let's just say no matter what, I would expect some people to defend certain games on gaf.

Loudninja

Stoney Mason said:
I can't comment on a quality comparison. I didn't play Infamous. But let's just say no matter what, I would expect some people to defend certain games on gaf.

I see people defended both Prototype and InFamous, but not Red Faction :(

Sadist

Pureauthor said:
I don't see the connection between the two parts of your post.
Well, if the sales were something to bragg about, you would have heard something. Right?

Or not :p

CHRP718

Banned
xs_mini_neo said:
Sony has created a whole gen of monsters. One of them tried to swallow my soul after I gave a very mild complaint about a certain PS game not too long ago. Absolutely frightening. Someone should make a documentary of the fall of PS fanboys. One could only imagine what their reactions would be if Sony went third party like Sega...
:lol :lol

Sleeker said:
So, is there actually some kind of Wii slowdown going on or is it just a blip?

It's still majorly outselling the other two consoles. Perhaps the days of the crazy high insane numbers are over though. We'll see this fall.

Can't the Sonybots just stop now? Let it go. You're sounding stupid now.

I haven't played Prototype yet, but everyone I know who HAS enjoyed it more than infamous.

So it must be at least a DECENT game. Considering 360 owners don't HAVE the option of infamous, it makes sense prototype sold as well as it did.

At least infamous outsold prototype ps3, so be happy and stfu

Haunted

It seems like iceatcs has a bunch of nice .gifs, but no fucking clue when to post them.

You need to pick up some comedic timing, friend.

Kittonwy

Banned
MWS Natural said:
My post specifically responding to those inferring that inFamous was a much better game than Prototype and the masses spoke with their dollars since Prototype outsold inFamous. Wait...why the hell am I responding to a damn kitten, don't you an Uncharted thread to post in somewhere? :lol

Didn't Infamous outsell Prototype on the PS3 since Infamous made top 10 and Prototype PS3 did not? It's not like people with 360 only can buy Infamous over Prototype on the 360, they can only choose Prototype since only Prototype is available on their platform.
Indifferent2.gif

Sleeker said:
So, is there actually some kind of Wii slowdown going on or is it just a blip?

They're down almost 50% Year to Year, but the numbers haven't moved from last month to this month.
However I don't think anything significant came out 2 months ago for the Wii that would boost sales, and considering Wii Motion+ just came out and Tiger Woods just came out yet the numbers didn't budge might be a sign that things are still going down steady.

Of course, a big boost is likely next month with Sports Resort being released.

xs_mini_neo said:

:lol

perfectchaos007 said:
Why would you want a hardcore game on Wii to fail???

:(

Who cares if a game is 'hardcore' or not, honestly.

If it's a good game, then I'm happy it does well (regardless of whether it appeals to me.) If it's a lousy game, then I don't want it to do particularly well (unless there are specific extenuating circumstances, none of which really apply here.)

PS: I know nothing about the Conduit aside from it being an FPS with ridiculous boxart, so I make no value judgment about the game's quality.

Loudninja said:
I seepeople defended both Prototype and InFamous, but not Red Faction :(
I guess red faction got left out in the cold. Maybe the negative perception didn't go away so not enough people played it. I mean from listening to the podcasts it sounds like a lot of fun. But personally I haven't even considered renting it.

Kittonwy said:
Didn't Infamous outsell Prototype on the PS3 since Infamous made top 10 and Prototype PS3 did not? It's not like people with 360 only can buy Infamous over Prototype on the 360, they can only choose Prototype since only Prototype is available on their platform.
Indifferent2.gif
It's so fun to watch this.

Top Bottom