• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2009

Chrange

Banned
_sgray said:
Yours certainly isn't since you haven't even played it. Reviews say Infamous is the better game, though.

Metacritic average for Infamous (PS3) - 84%
Metacritic average for Prototype (PS3) - 80%

DEFINITIVE. :lol

mujun

Linkzg said:
I like that unless people say "imo," it isn't apparent that they just expressed their opinion.

In some cases it isn't clear. Sure it's a pain to have to always read and type "imo" but this is a message board, not face to face communication so doesn't it just come with the territory.

Haunted

OldJadedGamer said:
They changed it and broke them up for some reason.
Probably because they weren't allowed to disclose these numbers. Seems like someone made a mistake posting the combined numbers in the first place.

They changed it to mirror the officially released Top 10 chart now.
donny2112 said:
I'd be surprised if it wasn't NPD that prompted them to change it to the publicly released rounded form of the data.
Yeah, this.

Loudninja said:
Good for InFamous and Prototype.
I admit that your GAF stint really seemed to do you some good. I think I can no longer call you "that guy from the ps3forums".

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
perfectchaos007 said:
Well even thought the Conduit didn't chart, the good news is that #10 nearly sold 200K. The Conduit could have easily sold 150K and we won't know it. some months 150K will get you in the middle of the top 10. LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE PEOPLE!!!

Yeah I'm trying. I mean, it's still very possible it sold like 185k, which would be great.

Shamrock

Banned
glad the industry is seeing declines. It means they will have to be like every other major business in America and start slashing prices and giving deals.

In a reccession gaming is a luxury not a necessity. Perfect example is I own about 18 360 games (so I do buy games) however I haven't bought a single game since November. I'll rent or borrow games from friends. Bills are more important than 60 dollar games.

iceatcs

e5956ad198ed0ea103e821465485214f.gif

Both shittes game even RF.

Haunted

MWS Natural said:
Clearly my sarcasm meter has been broken by the Sony hype crew :lol
The funny thing is that you still missed about 3 other "Prototype!? ew! Infamous 4 life" posts. :p

MWS Natural said:
Are you guys really that butt hurt over Prototype outselling Infamous? You act like it's a much better game or something.. This isn't MLB2k vs. MLB the Show type deal here.
It isn't as drastic as MLB2k9 vs The Show, but IMO inFamous is so much better of a game then Prototype. It is borderline disgusting that Prototype outsold it.

Blu_LED said:
It isn't as drastic as MLB2k9 vs The Show, but IMO inFamous is so much better of a game then Prototype. It is borderline disgusting that Prototype outsold it.

Right. Well reviews and the masses don't agree with you, move along. The hate is only making you look like a silly fanboy.

juu6wy.png

Good to see inFamous there still.

And aw yeah at the 360 again being the only yoy increase selling console. Awesome.

No Punch Out!! :( FUCK you to all Wii owners. I imported punch out and I might double dip when Australia gets it in august. It's THAT good.

Okay which one of you wrote this since it mentions Neogaf at the link. ;)

The release of June's numbers marks the half way mark in 2009 calendar year so let's take a look at the first half of the year compared with last years numbers in terms of hardware sales.

Xbox 360 Sales

January 2008: 230,000 January 2009: 309,000

February 2008: 254,600 February 2009: 391,000

March 2008: 262,000 March 2009: 330,000

April 2008: 188,000 April 2009: 175,000

May 2008: 186,600 May 2009: 175,000

June 2008: 219,000 June 2009: 240,600

First half '08: 1,340,200 First half '09: 1,620,600

As you can see from the chart, the Xbox 360 sales have improved from the first six months of last year to this year. Last year, sales also increased after the half way mark and skyrocketed around Christmas so in all likelihood, sales numbers are only going to get better in later months. We know the 360 sales are doing better this year, but how are they in comparison to their main competitor, the PS3?

PS3 Sales

January 2008: 269,000 January 2009: 203,200

February 2008: 280,800 February 2009: 276,000

March 2008: 257,000 March 2009: 218,000

April 2008: 187,100 April 2009: 127,000

May 2008: 208,700 May 2009: 131,000

June 2008: 405,500 June 2009: 164,700

First half '08: 1,608,100 First half '09: 1,119,000

Despite having a much stronger lineup of exclusives than the Xbox 360 this year, the Playstation 3's sales are much lower than they were at this point last year. In addition, the PS3's sales numbers remained consistent in the 2nd half of 2008 while the 360's increased allowing the 360 to outsell the PS3 overall in 2008 by over a million units having sold 4,735,400 consoles while the PS3 only sold 3,544,900.

Sales numbers are important to gamers for more than just bragging rights. Better sales also means more games, more developer support, better online, and the possibility of getting some exclusives from other consoles to be ported to the one you own.

It will be interesting to see how the rest of 2009 shapes up since the 360 typically has a stronger second half and is already outselling the PS3. One has to wonder that with sales numbers down from 2008 every single month, why is Sony waiting to cut the price on the PS3?

http://www.examiner.com/x-13078-Rochester-Xbox-360-Examiner~y2009m7d16-June-NPD-1st-half-2009-review

animlboogy said:
I can't believe how popular something like Prototype can be. Maybe there's something to it if I actually played it, but it just looks so completely devoid of charm or fun from every video I've seen.

It's almost as if you can learn something about how a game plays by...playing it.

Prototype was such a balls-out FUN game. I'm really happy it did so well. Red Faction is a disappointment though.. another great game that got a bit snubbed. Even all those $40 deals floating around (which were probably a sign of its sales) didn't help :(

bhhawks78

Banned
Shamrock said:
glad the industry is seeing declines. It means they will have to be like every other major business in America and start slashing prices and giving deals.

In a reccession gaming is a luxury not a necessity. Perfect example is I own about 18 360 games (so I do buy games) however I haven't bought a single game since November. I'll rent or borrow games from friends. Bills are more important than 60 dollar games.

You should have hit the hollywood video sale, any game that was used and 30$ or less was on sale for 4.99. Dead rising, dead space, GTA4, bioshock 360 version, fallout 3 ps3 version, Bad company, far cry 2, lego games, any 09 sports game and a bunch of others, cheap FTW!

mujun

Blu_LED said:

How can you even care that much?

Shouldn't you just be content with having played and loved Infamous?

moai

the hate for prototype is almost surreal...........never played it so i can't really comment on the game.

Shamrock

Banned
Blu_LED said:

I'm sure the developers will sit back and say the same thing and then upon analyzing Prototypes more than doubling their sales they will come to only one logical conclusion. That is unless they are totally outright owned by Sony perhaps they should be making multiplatform games or at least not making exclusive games for the console w/ the lowest install base/attach ratio. Strictly from a business standpoint of course.

Shamrock said:

I think the lack of drop for Microsoft shows that Nintendo's and Sony's drop is almost completely self-induced. Nintendo is now the oversized lumbering giant that's gotten too big to handle itself nor does it really feel like getting up right now despite the fact that if they DID get up off their comfy couch of money, they'd clean house completely. While Sony put themselves where they are a couple of years ago and can't seem to figure out how to find an exit strategy. If you don't find an exit strategy, you'll just go deeper down the spiral.

The software sales numbers are solid too if i'm not mistaken.

iceatcs

Blu_LED said:
You are really using review scores to justify that my opinion on a game is wrong? Really?
Both are very good rate even Infamous have double reviews. But both nothing special.

Haunted

Sadist said:
Ditching Ghostbusters.
jj984jj said:
Dropping PS3 support.
Considering the 444k across all platforms, and the paltry multiplat PS3 sales, I think I'll go with jj here.
gregor7777 said:
No shit? Was that when they were threatening Sony if they didn't drop the price?
Yes.

PhoenixDark said:
wheres The Conduit guys me and my friend tony bought 3 copies each with our christmas money from last year
No LotR picture story? :(

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
moai said:
the hate for prototype is almost surreal...........never played it so i can't really comment on the game.

I'd assume a lot of people here haven't played it. :\

_sgray said:
Yours certainly isn't since you haven't even played it. Reviews say Infamous is the better game, though.
Chrange said:
Metacritic average for Infamous (PS3) - 84%
Metacritic average for Prototype (PS3) - 80%

DEFINITIVE. :lol
Blu_LED said:
Thank the lord that inFamous PS3 outsold PS3 Prototype. The general populous is not as stupid as they seem.
MWS Natural said:
Right. Well reviews and the masses don't agree with you, move along. The hate is only making you look like a silly fanboy.

juu6wy.png

miflv5.gif

Blu_LED said:
You are really using review scores to justify that my opinion on a game is wrong? Really?

Actually since some people in the thread have said Infamous slaughters prototype in review scores its a valid post.

And posting review score comparisons is just as valid a rebut as subjective opinons on a game for what its worth. Especially based on your "dumb gamers" post.

mujun said:
How can you even care that much?

Shouldn't you just be content with having played and loved Infamous?

Look to the platform, my friend, for it explains many forms of stupidity!

I don't know about Infamous, I haven't played it, but to outright dismiss Prototype is silly.

moai said:

You can't go up head to head against a Sony exclusive. :lol

Inferiority complex takes over and off you go.

Sadist

Haunted said:
Considering the 444k across all platforms, and the palrty multiplat PS3 sales, I think I'll go with jj here.
Oh, I thought the poster was reffering to the Ghostbusters "bomba". :lol

mujun

Blu_LED said:

Maybe it's because despite the fact that a whole bunch of people enjoyed both games, as the sales evidence shows, you continue to believe that your opinion of the two games is what people should think.

Johann

I thought Acti-Blizzard was crazy when they announced they would stop publishing a bunch of games a year ago. Riddick, 50 Cent, and, most recently, Ghost Busters haven't performed as well as I would have thought given the past popularity of those games. I guess it's down to Brutal Legend to break the trend... hopefully.

lawblob said:
People with at least a shred of common sense didn't.

Anyone know what the profit margin is on a PS2? Its gotta be substantial.

The last time an analyst revealed profit margins was when the PS2 was price cut from $149 to $129. IIRC, Sony made a $8-10 profit on the $129 PS2 at the time of the price drop.

I wish I could find the article about the breakdown. It had tons of detailed data.

Holy fuck! Are people actually surprised and angry that a game exclusive to the last place system is getting outsold by a similar game that is multi-platform?

JoJo13

Banned
Not that it matters, but the 360 version of Prototype is sitting at 78% and has a higher sample size than the PS3 version.

Sadist

Hellsing321 said:
Holy fuck! Are people actually surprised and angry that a game exclusive to the last place system is getting outsold by a similar game that is multi-platform?
Yes

Shamrock said:
I'm sure the developers will sit back and say the same thing and then upon analyzing Prototypes more than doubling their sales they will come to only one logical conclusion. That is unless they are totally outright owned by Sony perhaps they should be making multiplatform games or at least not making exclusive games for the console w/ the lowest install base/attach ratio. Strictly from a business standpoint of course.
Sucker Punch probably signed the deal, and started working on inFamous with Sony well before the PS3 was out, and well before the PS3 started to "bomb". It's not like they could just drop all the work they did, and start work on a new IP with a completely different publisher.

Amir0x

Banned
perfectchaos007 said:
Well even thought the Conduit didn't chart, the good news is that #10 nearly sold 200K. The Conduit could have easily sold 150K and we won't know it. some months 150K will get you in the middle of the top 10. LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE PEOPLE!!!

i thought the bright side was Conduit not doing well?

Now you soured my mood

Haunted

Sadist said:
Oh, I thought the poster was reffering to the Ghostbusters "bomba". :lol
He totally could be, though. :)

gregor7777 said:
You can't go up head to head against a Sony exclusive. :lol

Inferiority complex takes over and off you go.
Nailed it.

Hellsing321 said:

Yes. Well, it is a bit surprising that Prototype 360 outsold the first two months of infamous.

I wouldn't have predicted that.

Kittonwy

Banned
MWS Natural said:

juu6wy.png

You just proved both the reviews and the masses agreed with him, move along.
Indifferent2.gif

Top Bottom