• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2014 [Up3: All Hardware (June/LTD), Top 10 Software SKUs]

C4Lukins

The PS3 chalkboard worked because the things on it were being said by a lot of Sony fans. Many things on this chalkboard I have never heard anyone say.

Yeah the XOne certainly deserves a chalkboards of its own, but it needs someone a bit more clever to create it. Most of that stuff is really reaching. Titanfall and Titanfall bundle should not be separate things. The doubling down on Kinect was done before the console was released. Matrick also left before the console was released. Nobody expects Tier 2 countries to suddenly rock the system to success, and nobody thought Kinect Sports was going to move the needle. Halo tv series is also silly. I think Sunset Overdrive is a bit of a reach, but at least it is in the spirit of the chalkboard meme.

Color me surprised.I thought xbox one would sell more than PS4 for June. Software is better on sony as well. If MS can't even get the U.S then that is not a good sign.

Jomjom

Banned
I'm confused, so that Ian Sherr tweet about yesterday's Xbone numbers being based on "internal surveys" does that mean the NPD numbers were lower than 154k? Or else why wouldn't you be able to tell that it's 2x or not.

Guys was chartz actually close this month?

VG we know what redeemed?

RwVArfx.jpg

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So, how about Pachter's estimations? Especially on Wii U. This exceeds the error margin by a lot.

I don't think Smash on 3DS is going to cannibalize Wii U sales as much as people think. People know that Smash is a console game; they're going to want it on consoles. The Wii U version is going to get most of the marketing right before Black Friday, as opposed to the October 3DS version. Plus Amiibos, which are going to huge with kids, are going to be synonymous with Smash on Wii U.

If it doesn't cannibalize Wii U software sales for SSB then the theory is practically not valid, as there isn't much overlap in software for the upcoming 18 months.

Bundy

Banned
So, is it likely that sales drop for the X1 this month? I wonder if it'll hit sub 100k for July.
Yes, I'm sure about that.
Some people didn't buy their Xbone's in May, becasue they knew the Kinect-less SKU was coming in June + preordered it. So you can say Xbox June NPD has "eaten" a bit of the May NPD cake. Now, in July, it's "July only" again. So the Xbone sales will drop again, comparted to June.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
The top 10 chart for the past year just makes me feel real sad. Did we have NPD back in like 2001 or around there? I'd like to go back and see how different the landscape looked.
Games were separated by platform, and first party sports games were still a thing, so there is no way the charts didn't look completely different ten to thirdteen years ago. And Japanese third parties put games out on a regular basis too.

Maybe Nintendo can quickly bundle NES Remix 1/2 for an August release or something?

Fun enough game, and I think it packs a decent enough nostalgia factor to intrigue new console owners.
They would be wise to do this, IMO. And they could be evil, and print it on disc and make the disc exclusive to the system bundle. That might drive sales, albeit in a very minor way.

I'm so happy they hit six digits on the sales for Wii U consoles, though.

Yeah the XOne certainly deserves a chalkboards of its own, but it needs someone a bit more clever to create it. Most of that stuff is really reaching. Titanfall and Titanfall bundle should not be separate things. The doubling down on Kinect was done before the console was released. Matrick also left before the console was released. Nobody expects Tier 2 countries to suddenly rock the system to success, and nobody thought Kinect Sports was going to move the needle. Halo tv series is also silly. I think Sunset Overdrive is a bit of a reach, but at least it is in the spirit of the chalkboard meme.

I'd prefer more creative but I digress

Nintendo's problem for the next six months is two-fold:

1) Does anything they're releasing have the potential to bring in players that would not already own the system the way Mario Kart did?

Thus year:
Smash Bros will have an equal sales potential as MK8. Bajonetta 1 & 2 and Hyrule Warriors have potential to bring new gamers to the Wii U.

Holiday sales of Wii U will be crazy.

Top Bottom